Ch. 25: Barghest
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Barghest


The barrel of a rifle poked out the window of the tower overlooking the sea of sand and the jungle. Stretching down the wood and steel base of the gun sat a man observing the village of floating stones just below the base of the oblong structure. His vision focused on the faint movement on the city streets as he squinted through the telescope sight on his gun.

"Two... Four... I count five in total, including our other little friend from earlier."

"How bold of them. Coming to save their own." The woman in black stood beside him, leaning against the wall.

The sniper took a breath and removed his finger from the trigger-well. Only half of his face was concealed, his grey eyes affixed to the group like a prowling beast stalking its prey.

"Is the girl among them?" He questioned.

"Even as a sensor I can't confirm it. She must be concealing her tune somehow."

"That can't be possible, even for beasts like them." The man was ferocious in the way he worded his response.

"Do not compare them to mere beasts Vulture. " She snapped at the hunter. "The dark child may be among them. Underestimate these mages for a moment and you will end up dead."

Vulture scoffed at his subordinate as she began walking towards the doorway behind him. The shadows enveloping her as she left his view.

"I will go and confirm the target, be ready to eliminate the others."

Sweat dripped down the mans head as he looked into the desert. The moon raised high over the village of floating stones. A howl stretched out over the plains, even from up here they could hear its distinct call.

"It seems the Bargs have begun their hunt."

The group down in the village were hesitant as the howling returned. It seemed to be coming from multiple directions, echoing through the deserted alleyways. Lena had her rifle ready, laying down coverage for Leo's blind spots.

"Stay alert!" Orion made sure everyone braced for the next strike.

Leo glanced down at the bloodied recruit, it was vital he got attention soon.

"Lena, take care of him. I'll cover you both."

Lena nodded, she slung her rifle and started to take steps towards the wounded man.

He had since dropped his weapon, the last of his strength finally giving out as he laid on the ground bleeding and gasping for air. He had lacerations all along his torso, the worst of which stretched from his left shoulder down to his waist, entirely exposing his torn muscle fibers and some of his left rib.

He's in bad shape.

Lena knelt beside him and began observing his condition thoroughly. 

He needed careful treatment, field surgery. However, the threat of the Barghests still remained. Not to mention the noise of his gunshots must have tipped off Atlas' kidnappers. They were running on a small window of time.

Dammit. He needs a real doctor for these wounds...

The implications of firing off a flare could be catastrophic to their situation. If Merlin and Sian truly were in on this conspiracy, it was game over for all of them. 

Lena gritted her teeth as she hesitated.

Is there even anything I can do for him? He's not going to make it...

Leo was keeping close watch around the three of them, the air was still and the howling had since ceased.

Orion and Elizabeth were keeping a distance. They were splitting their area of coverage equally, it was extremely dangerous to move when fighting Barghests. Luckily they were able to keep a three-sixty degree visual on their surroundings, an ideal setup to dealing with these particular monsters.

The howling started up once again, triggering Lena to divert her attention away from the injured man.

"Don't worry." Leo stood above them both in a fighting stance. "We will handle it. Help him!"

Lena clapped her hands against her face.

Get it together. She glanced back at the man. This is my fight.

She dropped her bag beside her, laying out a suture kit to begin her treatment.

Hemostatic, painkillers, thread the needle. I can stabilize him enough to move him into cover. After that–

"Leo!" His brother yelled out behind him. Their attention diverting to the marital artist who was about to engage the demons from the abyss.

The space between the two pairs started to ripple, as if the conjoining of space was occurring, just like before. It happened so quick that all Orion could muster was a single shout.

Even still, that was all Leo needed. His calves ignited once again and he jumped back into an arching backflip over Lena and the wounded man. The low gravity made it much easier for him to maneuver like he was.

The Barghest emerged milliseconds after he landed. Lunging towards him as its mouth widened, ready to strike him as it closed the distance. The low gravity was also a great benefit to these agile beasts, but Leo was ready!

"You bastard mutt!" 

Leo stomped his right foot into the earth, which triggered a mechanism in his blazing catalyst. A concealed crescent blade emerged from the knee down to the ankle, it was infused with a concentrated flame that burned along the slim edge of the steel.

The beast landed on its paws, it barreled forward with no regard for what was in front of it. It was bloodthirsty and could not comprehend the gravity of its situation, it just wanted to feed.

It snarled as it leapt at Leo, with a swift roundhouse kick, supercharged with the fire magic he had honed for so long he plunged the shin blade into the monster.

The distinct slice and cracking of its skull echoed out, the impact wave threw up the sand and loose pebbles as well.

From the jaw to the neck the Barghests head was split into two sections, though still attached to its body. The force flung it into the side of a sandstone structure across from Leo. The heat from his fire cauterized its wound immediately, leaving no bloodstains behind.

It was too early to celebrate, three more swirls emerged from where Orion and Elizabeth stood.

Each one containing another Barghest, just as the bestiary suggested, they indeed commonly hunted in packs.

"Here they come Orion!"

"Right!"

The Barghests leapt out of their rifts towards their opponents. Almost as if learning from the defeat of their brethren they kept some distance as they circled around the two mages.

One stood in the rear near the corner that the recruits of team three had run from initially, the spikes on its back rattled and hardened. The beast curled up and then shot forward a volley of hardened fur.

"Shit!" Orion shouted.

Elizabeth gripped her staff on both sides, holding it out horizontally at first. Then flipping it with her right hand gracefully, following with a swift tap to the ground. As soon as her staff met with the earth a wall of ice emerged in front of the two mages. Within seconds the spikes collided with the wall, her quick thinking saving them from the ranged attack.

"Quick thinking!"

"We're not out of this yet!"

Orion clasped his gloved palms together, as if gathering moisture from a stream. Water particles swarmed into his hands as he formed a sphere of liquid. He cupped his hands together as if molding it like clay, creating a pointy tipped projectile. He kept his wits about him as the first Barghest leapt over the ice wall. Its speed was incredible and almost equally terrifying.

The water mage raised his condensed spell, it began to spin in one direction almost like a drill. He thrusted his palms outwards and launched the projectile spell towards the beast. It pierced its chest, drilling through it like a bullet. Its lifeless body floating through the air between himself and Elizabeth. Then finally touching down to the ground.

"Where is the last one?!" Leo shouted from behind them.

Elizabeth peeked behind her ice barrier, the final Barghest had vanished again.

"It's phasing!"

The three of them looked around in every direction, seeking out the ripples in space where it could likely emerge from.

Lena however was laser focused on her patient, the recruit was in intense pain. The painkillers she was issued were effective, but not a complete nullifier of the pain. She continued stitching together open wounds, most of the smaller ones were already patched.

She used a medical stapler to close up the portions around the exposed bone, and over that she put down some synthetic wrap used for temporarily closing up major lacerations. It was not a perfect stopgap, but it would do for at least the next few hours and prevent infection.

Leo ran up to Lena from behind, making sure she was safe from harm. He squinted his eyes as he looked into the darkness just beyond her.

"Lena! Look out!!"

She looked up in front of her, just mere feet away the glowing green eyes of the creature glistened in the moonlight.

Her heart raced as she glanced down at the young man, who was still clinging to life. She had no time to react.

Lena then heard gunshots ring out behind her, the bullets striking the beast multiple times.

The Barghest screeched in pain as it stumbled from the blows it received, giving Leo just enough time to run over and slam his foot into the head of the beast. Curb stomping it into the sandy street. Once he had it pinned the creature, the flames emerged one final time in his right leg. Slowly burning the void beast's head to a crisp.

All of the fur covering the Barghests bat-like face had been seared off. The smell of burnt flesh lingered in the air around its charred head.

Leo let out a sigh of relief as he looked towards Lena. She met his gaze with an equal satisfaction. 

Orion and Elizabeth both had their sidearms out and safely aimed towards the ground. After ensuring they still had ammunition remaining they holstered them.

Lena looked back at the two of them as they approached.

"Nice shooting you two."

"How is he doing?" Orion questioned.

"I'm finished with what I can. His wounds have been stanched, and I have prevented infection." She paused for a moment and glanced at the boy. "But he is going to need an actual surgeon within the day."

"Let's try and get him inside somewhere." Elizabeth suggested.

Lena walked over and positioned herself behind the young soldiers head.

"One of us will have to stay behind with him..." Lena placed her hands carefully behind the recruits head. "Pick him up carefully, elevate his abdomen from both sides, and make sure his stitches don't open. Leo you carry him from his legs."

Each of them acknowledged her instructions and carefully lifted him up, walking towards one of the mostly intact buildings, at least one with four walls still raised.

"I'm still not at full strength after yesterday, I could stay with him."

Lena looked at Elizabeth who seemed to be a little winded. Lena nodded to Orion, who also agreed that Elizabeth should stay back with him.

The group approached the doorway to the building, just before they entered Lena glanced down at the calmed demeanor of the young man. The color on his face was a little washed out from blood loss but he was otherwise pretty handsome. Though she could not remember his name, she recognized his face.

Lena flashed back to their first day in the arena: Among the crowd of onlookers, who laughed and mocked Lena for not being able to tune to a stone, he was one of the few that did not find her inability comedic.

She quickly snapped back to the moment she was in now. She silently thanked him for his kindness, hoping that with this action she could repay her gratitude.

"Careful now, the entry is narrow–"

Just then blood splattered up onto her face. A ricochet bouncing off the wall right beside Lena, missing her by a hair.

The terror filled her face as blood sprayed out in all directions from the throat of the young man she had just saved. Out of instinct the others each rushed through the doorway, pushing Lena and the injured recruit through.

Lena had landed on her rear, though all she could do was stare in agony at the bloody scene unfolding in front of her.

The young recruit was lying in a pool of his own blood just a few inches in front of her. Gagging on the oozing liquid pouring out from his now exposed trachea. 

Lena looked on in horror into the eyes of the young man, whose eyes seemed to be begging her for help. He tried to muster words, but the cracks and jerks in his voice suggested it was impossible for him.

"NO!" Lena's voice cracked as scrambled to his side.

Out of instinct clamped her hands over his neck softly, she knew it was a vain attempt, but she did not care.

Warm blood trickled into her hands as it drizzled out between her fingers, leaking down the back of her hands and dripping onto the sandstone floor. His sleek black hair was drenched and the pool of blood stretched around the two of them. His face was noticeably pale, yet with what little strength he had, he lifted his hand and placed it over hers. Lena could see a his eyes ocean blue eyes watered with tears, his consciousness was noticeably fading and yet her pushed upward gently on her hands.

He was trying to push her away. As if saying to let him go.

Lena's breathing was panicked, she mumbled painful sounds that barely mimicked words. Choking up as she felt tears dropping from her eyes in a torrent of anguish. Some landing on the boys face below. Causing his weakened gaze to flinch.

Why?! Why is this fucking happening?!

"Stop... Stop bleeding... St–"

Her words cut off as the blue light in his eyes faded into a deep grey. The weak grip of his hand loosened completely, falling to the ground. The violent and irrational scene caused Lena to heave.

She trembled as she leaned back and stared at her blood-stained hands. She started to break down. Tears flowing down her face which clouded her vision of the traumatic scene before her. She was completely oblivious to the physical events occurring around her, the ground began to shake lightly with her as the focal point of the tremor.

The other recruits tried to call out for her as they realized what was going on, but their cries were completely muffled by the unearthly silence that was created by something unknown. 

Outside the doorway, down the road, and atop a building overlooking their position: Rose stood with her hand held up to her ear. Even from this distance the woman could hear the blood curdling scream of Lena.

"Kill confirmed on the straggler. I have identified Lena Vail, the one with the rifle on her–"

Just as the woman was confirming their target, a shadowy mist erupted from the building that team three was taking cover in. The village began to tremble and shake violently, it even caught Rose off guard.

Even further away, deep within the confines of the tower, Atlas was struggling to get out of his chains.

What were those gunshots?

All he could think about were his friends and their wellbeing.

He took a deep breath and forfeited his pointless struggle. At least until the tremors reached him, then his heart began to race. Peering into the darkness in front of him and at the old rickety door which opened ever so slightly on its own from the earthquake. A faint purple glow emanated from the crack of the doorway just ahead of him.

What the hell is going on?!

0