Chapter 29: Pain And Fear
63 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the middle of the night, when everyone has gone to sleep. There was one young man who still hadn’t. He knew that he shouldn’t be out this late. And he’s fully aware that he’s doing something reckless. 

But… 

| …I can’t get it off my mind,| the youth thought as green liquid splashed everywhere. | …that night. I just can’t…. | He gasped. 

And looking at the dead insect-like creature, he felt as if he’d want to vomit. The sight was grotesque, and his hands were shaking. 

With the sword in his hand and shattered obsidian everywhere, he fell to his knees, panting and sweating. 

No matter how much he tries to get used to it or try to forget. He couldn’t. ‘Jack…’ he uttered before throwing up all the food he’d recently had. 

| At that monet…. In front of my very eyes, he…—into pieces…. | Just remembering the bloodshed that night. Each and every time he saw something similar, he’d jerk up. Even if it only was for a moment. He was reminded over and over again. 

| …Aska… how can you be so calm? I… I can’t be a leader like this. I have to do better. But… I’m scared…. | Isak has always been quite the coward. Despite the tough front he puts on. But that was also the reason he decided to fight. 

“Then why don’t you just quit?” A voice echoed in his ears. At first, he thought that he’d been imagining things. 

But… 

Before him stood a man with long black hair. His eyes were crimson red and incredibly harsh looking. It was as if it contained the blood of his slain enemies. And with an indifferent look, he stared at the boy. 

Isak wasn’t very surprised. He knew that there was no way he wouldn’t be caught sneaking out. Gritting his teeth and asking, “How can I?” with a resentful look, Isak stood up. 

Hmm, that’s the spirit,” the man said with a sinister smile. 

Isak shuddered at that sight and felt the eeriness incomprehensibly jarring. And the next moment, a void appeared, and the man stuck his hand into it, pulling out a sword. 

Isak found it to be somewhat beautiful despite its tare. The blade itself was dark and void-like. But… the dark crimson cracks it had made it look more terrifying the more he stared. 

Gulp…’ 

“Go on, draw your weapon,” the man said while pointing his sword at Isak. 

“M-Mister Hilos… wh-what is this about…?” Isak flusteredly asked while slowly backing away. His legs were quivering, and his hands were shaking. The atmosphere felt extra heavy, and he had difficulty breathing. 

With a deathly serious look, Hilos asked, “What does it look like?” while stepping closer. 

To Isak, his step every trembled the world. Everything was becoming distorted. Slowly, he broke down. “S-stop! D-don’t come any closer!” Isak desperately cried. 

But Hilos wouldn’t. He walked closer and closer. | Wh-what is it with this guy!? | he panics. | I-is it another mimic…? No way… but…. | Determination engulfed him. 

Is this perhaps the revenge he sought? Perhaps. But regardless of any of that, he summoned Elcrit’s Edge. The blade filled with mana became glowing hot while he took a deep breath. 

He observed Hilos and each step he took. And… | That look on his face… it’s so infuriating! | What Isak knew about certain abominations and beasts was—

You bastards sure love toying with people!” he cried and rushed towards the supposed Mimic. 

Activating all of his skills, he felt no pain, but… the heat was overbearing, and he felt his muscles being torn with every step. The ground melted, and intense magma instantly spread all around him. 

WHY!?” Isak cried. “JUST WHY!?” 

| Overcoming his fears with anger, huh? | Hilos pondered as Isak was at his throat. To him, Isak moved too slowly, at least compared to what was out there. But then again. One couldn’t find a better Blade Master than Hilos. 

Hilos grinned. | I would’ve killed you if you ran away, well, just kidding… | he thought while sidestepping Isak’s attack. And using the momentum to flip him over on his stomach, Hilos kicked the youth in the abdomen, sending him far up into the sky while blasting away all the thin layers of magma to the side. 

| …huh? | And up in the sky, about 50 meters up, Isak coughed blood, not comprehending the situation. | Just… why is this happening? | he wondered while he was descending. His eyes were teary, and he had enough. 

It was all just too much. 

| Where did it all go wrong? | he contemplates while getting closer to the ground. And… memories started to flood his brain. 

…..

“Hey Isak, wanna go to the movies?” a familiar voice echoed. 

“Oh? To the one that everyone is talking about?” 

Somehow… everything feels hazy. What’s going on? 

Pff. No.” 

Njyhihi~what did you expect, Isak? Jack has the weirdest tastes in movies, like… ever!” 

“Oh, shut it, Aska! You have just as much of a shitty taste as me!” 

…watching the two of them argue. How nostalgic… huh…? Nostalgic? I see… I’m reliving these hazy memories…. 

Pff

Letting out a small chuckle, the two looked at me, asking, “What’s so funny?” I, of course, shrugged it off, playing it cool. “Nah, nothing,” and answered with a grin. 

““Hmm~”” Aska and Jack suspiciously peered. “Did you get a girlfriend or what?” Aska asked out of nowhere. 

...huh?

“What’cha saying? It’s only been one month since high school started. You think that this dork has a girlfriend before us?” Jack said while grinning with his arms wrapped around me. 

…how rude, I do have one—wait… I do?

Huh… when did I get a girlfriend? 

Ah-haha… of course… at this time, I didn’t have one… 

“Hm? Hey, Isak, why are you frozen in place, helloooo?” Jack said while waving his hands in front of my face. 

Then, Aska stepped in front of me and looked up. His hands were behind his back, and he was bending forward while looking up—seriously… he’s unironically cuter than most girls sometimes…. 

“Something on your mind?” he asked. “O-or don’t tell me you actually do have one!?” 

“No! It ain’t like that! If I had one, I’d brag about it and rub it in your face!” I proudly declared. 

Aska had a surprised look that then turned somewhat to disgust, letting out a “Uaahh…” while stepping back. “If you do that, I’ll seriously punch you, you know?” 

Ehh~, what, ya jealous?” I teasingly asked. 

Aska sulked and started to pout. He glanced to the side, asking, “What if I was?” 

…yeah, I’m not falling for your tricks. “You know that stopped working in middle school, right?” 

Tsk…” 

“...you two are weird,” Jack said. 

He’d been quiet all this time—I sort of forgot he was here. 

“Sorry, your presence was so thin we kinda forgot about ya,” I said with a shrug. 

…..

…and after that, we burst out laughing, huh? 

As I recall random memories and falling towards the ground, I forcefully corrected my body mid-air by pushing heated air. Even if the pain was unbearable, I had to push through. 

Thinking clearly about it. A Pale Mimic isn’t supposed to be fluent in speech. Meaning that it truly is Hilos down there. 

I doubt he’ll kill me, but damn, does it hurt. He’ll likely beat me half dead, even if he doesn’t intend to kill me. 

I felt extremely calm and focused. It surprised me, honestly. 

Taking a deep breath and softly landing, I gave Mister Hilos a determined look. Raising my sword and pointing it at him. ‘I won’t give up that easily,’ I stated. 

He smirked, asking, “Despite all that pain? I know it hurts.” 

…he’s right. Despite [Cheer Resilience], it hurts so bad. I’m bleeding all over the place, and my bones are fractured somewhere despite my relatively thick [Mana Armour]. 

‘...even if it hurts, and I’m a coward, I won’t ever run. I won’t.’ I hushed. It was difficult to speak, but… I’ll show him what I got! 

“Hmm, I’m impressed, but… that’s just a ridiculously stupid mindset,” he harshly said. “Fighting for nothing—is but pure idiocy,” he resentfully stated. 

…even so. If Aska or the others were to be in danger, I have to fight. So they can run. 

But he’s right. 

At least in this situation, it’s pure stupidity at play. But even so, this time. I got something valuable. 

‘I know…’ I panted and fell to my knees. ‘But… I know for sure… that… I wouldn’t run like a coward if it wasn’t just my life on the line. I would be able to buy them time… and… who knows…? Perhaps… it’s just enough….’ 

Out of breath and exhausted, I could feel the effects of my skills wear off. My mana was depleted, and my vision became hazy. The sword disappeared. 

Falling down on my back and looking at the blurry sky, Mister Hilos walked closer, and I could feel my wounds closing up, and I was getting healed. Of course, I felt extremely exhausted.

But… 

‘...thank you,’ I uttered. 

“...You’re a strange one,” Mister Hilos said before my consciousness drifted into the dark unknown. 

0