5. Transmigration?
91 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I presume she has lost her memories." The physician revealed what he assumed to be the problem, and immediately the tension in the room rose. Irene noticed the man who had called himself her father glaring at the physician as though he had sinned.

"Lost her memories?" His voice was low and deadly, and even Irene felt the danger lurking behind his tone. Subconsciously, she shivered as she bit her lips silently. She did not know what to make out of her situation. The man was too intimidating, and his eyes were narrowed into slits as he suppressed all the people in the room with just his presence alone.

"What do you mean?" He gritted his teeth, and Irene had a hunch that he would chop off the physician's head if he were not careful with his words. She stared blankly at the man before her eyes fell on Reyna, who was sobbing quietly.

Her eyes had turned red, and she sniffled lightly as she tried to control her cries. Her sorrowful face made Irene crestfallen. But she did not know what to do either. She was in a world she had no idea about and surrounded by people she had never seen or heard of. Heck, she had not even read about them anywhere for her to recall her bookish knowledge.

"Your Grace," The physician lowered his head as he forced out the words slowly. He was trembling in fear as worry engulfed him. He was now scared of the powerful man in front of him, who seemed prepared to chop his head off if he spoke a word that did not please him. "As I said before, Lady Sylvanie hit her head hard before she fell unconscious. This must be the reason why she cannot remember anything."

Irene commended the physician for his bravery. Although he was shivering and his hands shook visibly, his words did not falter, and he maintained his tone in front of the man who had claimed to be her father. She noticed the man furrow his brows as he stared at the physician before he waved his hand at him.

"Get out. I do not believe that my daughter has lost her memories." He ordered, and the physician picked up his wooden box, which he had not even opened before he hurried away from the terrifying man. He was glad that he could save himself, and Irene stifled a smile on seeing his behavior. Although the situation was critical and incredulous, she could not help but smile at the old man's cute behavior.

"How can Sylvanie lose her memories?" The man who claimed to be her father uttered as he looked at the girl observing him, her beautiful topaz blue orbs filled with questions he could not comprehend.

'That's right, Mister. I have not lost my memories because I am not your daughter.' Irene thought to herself.

"My daughter is fine. I will call the royal physician. He will take a good look at you, Sylvanie. Do not worry, dear. I will not let anything happen to you." He patted her forehead before he rushed out of the room again.

The man's worry and anxiety touched Irene. She had never received the love of a parent before, and all she remembered was the old matron who had taken care of her until she turned eighteen when she was at the orphanage. Although she did not know who the man was, her heart still felt warm on seeing his genuine concern for her. Unknowingly, her eyes welled up.

Reyna was watching her keenly with her tearful eyes, and the moment she saw the tears in her eyes, she started crying hysterically. "Milady," She cried, her loud voice startling Irene. She gave Reyna a confused look and was baffled to see her cry buckets.

"What happened, dear? Why are you crying?" Irene scooted closer to where she was standing and held her hand. She then pulled her gently. However, the girl shook her head.

"No, no, Milady. What are you doing?"

"What am I doing?" Irene gave her a puzzled look, wondering what she had done now.

"I cannot sit on your bed. I am just a maid."

Her absurd words made Irene roll her eyes. "Sit down, Reyna." She said softly. However, the girl shook her head again, and when Irene realized she would not obey her, she resolved to the only solution she could think of. "Sit down, and it is an order." She commanded sternly, and Reyna now had no choice. She glanced at her before she sat in front of her, her body tense and nervous.

"Relax, dear. I will not eat you up." Irene joked, but it had no effect on the poor girl. Irene moved closer to the anxious girl. "Reyna, look at me." She ordered and forced the young girl to look at her. "Why are you nervous around me? Did I do something to make you anxious?" Reyna shook her head at once. "Did any of my words or actions anger you?"

"No, no, Milady." Reyna shook her frantically. "How could a mere servant be angry at her mistress?"

"Okay, you are not angry. Then, tell me, why are you crying?"

As soon as Irene asked the question, the girl who had calmed down started crying again. Irene panicked at seeing the girl's tears and did not know how to salvage the situation. Since childhood, she had been quite anti-social and did not interact much with people unless necessary. She had only one friend and had never dealt with situations like these. So she did not know how to stop the girl from crying.

Clueless about what to do, Irene hugged the girl and rubbed her back. "Don't cry, dear. Seeing you cry is making me cry." She lied conveniently. Her priority was to stop the young girl from crying, and she did not hesitate to lie to achieve her goal.

Her words were effective. As soon as she finished speaking, Reyna stopped crying, and they reduced to sobs. Irene sighed in relief, and she smiled lightly. She pulled away from her and wiped her tears gently. "Now, tell me. Why were you crying?" She queried softly, smiling at her sweetly.

"Because you don't remember anyone among us."

Irene closed her eyes in despair. 'I can only remember you only if I knew you before. How will I remember if I am meeting you for the first time?' She thought to herself. Irene tried to comprehend what was happening and why she was in a strange place with bizarre people around her. So she thought for a long time before her eyes snapped open when the realization hit her.

"Don't tell me." She mumbled to herself, and Reyna looked at her confused. "Did my soul transmigrate to another world, and now I am trapped in a body that does not belong to me?"

Irene's words baffled herself too, and she blinked in disbelief. But, as incredulous as they sounded, that was the only conclusion she could come up with after seeing everything around her.

1