51. Past encounters – Part 2
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gavin stared at the chalice of blood and his face distorted in pain. His expression changed while his blood veins started to protrude on his skin. Even though he had his salvation before him, he held himself back, forcing all his strength to withhold himself. He looked at his King, his eyes blood red and pleading.

Even if Kieran did not hear a word from the boy, he understood his plead and nodded at him, smiling at him, encouraging him to drink the blood. Not once did he show his surprise when Gavin asked him for permission to drink, even when the delirious liquid was just a stretch away.

Kieran's impression of him rose and he nodded to himself quietly, observing Gavin relish the liquid with delight. The boy's eyes said it all and Kieran looked at him knowingly. He waited until Gavin was satisfied before he took his throne and stared down at him, who had regained his rationality.

Gavin seemed fine and stronger and Kieran pushed back his concerns and focused on the matter at hand.

"Gavin," His commanding voice compelled Gavin to stiffen and lower his head as a symbol of his respect and submission.

"Lift your head and look at me, boy," Kieran ordered. He needed Gavin's attention on him for what he had in mind and waited until he had the boy's eyes on him.

"I have some questions for you and I hope you answer me honestly," Kieran stressed again and Gavin gulped, yet he did not look away from him, nodding at him lightly.

Kieran did not say a word regarding the young man's terror for him, allowing it to heighten and take root in his heart and mind. It was best Gavin feared him and stayed within his limit. It would ensure that he never crossed his King, ever.

"How did you and your mother get caught by the vampires?" Kieran's eyes narrowed, and Gavin closed his eyes for a moment in anguish, realizing that the King already had an inkling regarding his past and had approached him to confirm it.

"Your Majesty, I.." Gavin took a deep breath to calm himself and clenched his fists. "My mother and I were captured at the kingdom border while entering Rothnia."

"I see." Kieran nodded, Gavin's reply matching the scenario he had assumed in mind. "And why are you in Rothnia? What brought you and your mother here?"

Gavin was visibly stunned and he stood perplexed and frozen in his place. He blinked a few times while Kieran waited for him to accept that he knew everything and nothing could be hidden from him.

"You are not from Rothnia, nor do you have any relatives here. What brought you and your mother here?" Kieran questioned again and Gavin snapped out of his thoughts.

"Your Majesty," His lips trembled and Kieran's eyes narrowed dangerously. Gavin's eyes told him that whatever he would hear next would be anything but pleasant.

"We were escaping from our captors and ended up in Rothnia."

Kieran's brows shot up and he leaned forward, his red eyes turning pitch black. "Captors?"

His voice told that he was waiting for an explanation and there was no room for silence or objection, which Gavin understood.

"Your Majesty, my father sold my mother and me to the slave market and we escaped before they caught us."

Kieran thought about Gavin's words and his lips thinned. The only slave market in the neighboring kingdoms was in the kingdom of Vorkos. But...

"Remind me, boy. Which kingdom do you belong to?"

"The kingdom of Nalia."

Kieran stood up suddenly, his quick action frightening Gavin so much that he took a few steps back. He stared at his King in apprehension, not understanding what had got him all riled up in an instant.

"This is more convoluted than I thought it to be," Kieran mumbled, examining the lad before him.

Time ticked and neither man moved from their places. While Keiran had his menacing gaze fixed on Gavin, the lad, in return, maintained his eyes on his enigmatic King, forcing everything in him to stay put and not run away from his place.

Seconds passed and Gavin's willpower to keep his eyes focused on his King started to crumble. His fear overtook him and he was just short of submitting and kneeling before him when the powerful man moved his eyes away, breaking the tension in the air.

"You may leave now, Gavin. I will meet you later."

Although he did not elaborate on it, Gavin understood that his King was not done questioning him and this was just an interlude for him to take a break and sort himself out.

"Yours and your mother's needs will be taken care of." Kieran dismissed him with a flick of his wrist, and Gavin did not stay in the dark throne room for another moment. It was too terrifying, especially when the King seemed livid and bloodthirsty.

"Are you alright, son?"

Gavin almost jumped in fright when he heard a voice beside him and relaxed when he noticed a familiar face.

"Calm down, boy. I will not kill you." Seymour chuckled and shook his head in pity seeing the boy's condition, discerning what had got him all flustered and anxious to the point of being wary of everything.

"Come with me. Let me take you to your room." Seymour smiled at him warmly. Since the King was willing to take the lad and his mother, it only meant that Gavin was of some worth, and the King had high opinions of him.

"How is my mother? May I meet her?" Gavin swallowed his fear as he turned towards the man smiling at him gently, with no malice or rage in his eyes.

"You may meet her, but not now." Gavin looked at him in confusion and was about to argue when Seymour continued, "You are to rest and will only be allowed to meet her in the morning."

"But..."

"They are the King's orders, son. You do not want to be disobeying them, do you?"

That got Gavin silent and Seymour nodded at him in appreciation. "You have a long way ahead, Gavin. But before that, you need to strengthen yourself. And the first thing in line is.." Seymour gestured for him to move with him, and the two men started walking.

"To rest and it is even more important," Seymour paused, forcing Gavin to look at him even if they kept walking. "To listen to your King. He sure has high expectations of you. Otherwise, he would not have even allowed you inside his palace. Remember it!"

0