Ep. 1: Scene 1
67 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before this sudden unearthly predicament, I was just a regular guy who was fresh out of college and with thoughts for higher studies. My ambition, like everyone from my year, was to be as rich as Zell Bates, the man who revolutionised the modern society by popularising the software industry. 

Unfortunately, money is one thing that I have in short supply, so I work in the local stores by shifting hours from here and there to cover my expenses and save up for my university fees. Not to mention, I am an orphan so any and all financial backing for my studies will come from my work.

Well, that was the setting that I was stuck with. So, while dreaming of the future I hope to be in, I work everyday to earn and save up for my studies. After all, there’s this saying that goes, “Work hard, study well, and earn big.” Abiding by those words, I do my best in all of my doings to reach my goal of being at the top.

“Hey! Stop dozing off and get this order ready!” A voice snapped at me from nearby.

“I wasn’t dozing! You’re just late in giving the order to me!” I retorted back heatedly.

There I was, standing inside the kitchen area waiting for orders like usual while others went about busily preparing their orders. I work at a store called “Booster Gold for Food and Drinks” where we sell out drinks, food like burgers, grilled chicken and all sort of other food. The business is mostly famous for its on time take outs and food delivery. We also have a restaurant as well in case the customers decide to eat at their table instead.

The guy who snapped at me chucked the slip over the counter, which I had to reach out and grab before it fell. I glared at him, and he glared at me back just the same. His name was Graham Barker and his reason for being annoyed at me was the same reason that I was annoyed at him; our roles. We applied for Booster Gold at the same time but for different roles; I for the counter job and he for chef. Instead, for whatever reason, I was put in in the cooking section and he was stuck at the counter.

“Get on with the pace, idiot,” he snarled at me.

“I’d like you to try my role, stupid!” I replied back irritably.

“I would if I have the chance!”

“Likewise!”

“Okay, you two! Break it up!” Said an older woman in her mid-thirties while clapping her hands together.

Her name was Suzan Stone, the manager of this store and a lovely lady. Well, she was not looking so lovely with that irritated expression on her face that’s clearly obvious for us to understand. So, after I and Graham glared at one another, we turned away and went to do our separate work.

Madam Suzan sighed and turned to me who set the order paper to the sticker above my working bench.

“Can’t you two just get along already?” She asked in an exasperated voice. “It’s been nearly four months since you two started working here, you know?”

She was right that he and I started our work from the 22nd of July and now it’s the 25th of November. Even still, his resentment about his role and jealousy of my role keeps him on edge whenever we meet. I, on the other hand, don’t mind that I didn’t get the role I applied for, but I’m not as salty as that guy. 

“It’s not my fault he gets irritated that I got his role and he’s all salty about it!” I insisted indignantly.

“Yes, but both of you are of the same age and are part of this wonderful establishment. You should work together, you know? Work will be more fun that way,” she suggested hopefully.

“Maybe, but that thought should get into that thick skull of his first,” I said wearily while focusing on my order.

Madam Suzan let out a resigned sigh and said, “Alright, but it pains me to see my fellow staff not getting along.”

With that remark, she left for her office, and I turned to watch her go. I felt a little sad from her words and could sense the sadness from the way she moved. When I started my work here, she gave us a warm welcome and happily showed us around the workplace and patiently explained the rules. She even was lenient on us when we initially made mistakes and encouraged the staff to believe in tomorrow.

“I also want to get along with him but… it’s that dimwit’s fault,” I muttered to myself with my shoulders slumped a little in sadness as I worked away at the food making process.

Like that, I spent my shift working away tirelessly making food and preparing them for delivery. My work timings for Booster Gold is from 4PM to 9PM in the evening while it’s 9AM to 2PM during weekends. It fit well with the timings that I have from my other workplace so no complaints from me.

So, when 9PM came, the manager came out of her office and announced the closing of the store. I rubbed and cleaned my work bench before removing my apron and folding it neatly. Then I walked into our locker room to put it away while getting my normal clothes to change into.

“Hey, what’re you doing this evening?”

“I’m gonna hang out at my girlfriend’s place as her parents aren’t home.”

“Oh! That’s so sick man!”

“What about you dude?”

“I’m taking my girlfriend out for shopping tomorrow since it’s been 6 months since we started dating.”

“Oh! Nice!”

That was the conversation between my fellow staff members while we were busily changing clothes. I stayed silent as there was nothing for me to add to their conversation. Although, I was amazed at how much free time these guys have on their hands to be spending with their girlfriends.

“Hey, what’re you up to tonight?” Asked someone suddenly.

For a moment, I ignored the question, but sensing eyes fixed on me, I turned and asked, “Mmm? You mean me?”

“Yeah. You,” said the speaker with a nod of his head. “What’re you up to tonight?”

“Uh. Nothing new. Just heading home and getting a good night’s sleep,” I replied casually.

“Man, that’s what you normally do anyway.”

“Yes, captain obvious,” I wanted to retort, but I refrained and kept a calm demeanour instead.

“Well, wanna hang out with us tonight since this lovebird is off to play with his girlfriend?”

They were inviting me out to hang out with them after noticing that I was pretty much alone. I guess this is their form of showing pity or sympathy towards me, and I am grateful for it. However, I don’t want to cause them disturbance since I’m a bit of a secluded type.

So, I gently declined their offer by saying, “Ah. Thanks, but I got some work to attend to tomorrow so I really need to head on home and sleep early.”

“Oh. Fair enough.”

“Let him be. He’s always like this.”

“You’re the ones that asked me!” I wanted to berate them, but once again, I simply kept quiet.

Ignoring their comments about me, I put the work clothes into the locker, pulled out my backpack and headed out. On the way, while I pulled out the lock for the padlock on my bicycle, I ran into Graham. His eyes narrow for a moment before he let out a snort when he saw the key I had in my hand.

“Ha! Still riding that old dumpy cycle? Honestly, it’s so dull looking and everything… just like its rider,” he commented rudely and showed me his car keys that he was twirling in his finger.

I raised an eyebrow in exasperation and asked, “You don’t need to be so rude to me.”

“Maybe not, but I still hate you for stealing my role!” He retorted and walked briskly.

“I didn’t steal it, idiot!” I called after him, but I doubt he heard me.

Sighing wearily, I continued to walk out of the store and towards where I parked my bicycle. After unlocking the padlock, I put on the helmet, switched on the front and back lights and started pedalling away into the night.

4