Ch 5. Silver Sight
540 6 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Starting next week i will be following and upload schedule with a release on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, each day will be one of my stories. I will try to also get out second chapters on the weekends if I am able.

 

 

 

     Morning Tani, did you sleep well? Having fun? She was awake already and was playing with my hair.

     “Morning Lilli. I am having a lot of fun. And I slept well. Technically I don't really need to sleep but it's fun to sleep with you.” She smiled, her face lighting up with happiness. This spirit girl is so goofy. 

     Hey Tani, what is it like where you came from? Do you have any family?

     “Well we don’t really have siblings in the same way as you humans. Our families are more like others we end up getting close to. Normally we consider each other siblings but some of my race will form adult/child bonds. As well as bonds of love, though we are incapable of reproduction.”

     So how does your race grow? And what's the name of it?

     “Well, we're not really sure, we just kind of form. And we don't really have a name, but if we go by your old world we would be what you call a sprite. Now what was your idea from last night?”

     Well to do it I need to be in my playpen so I need to wait for Anna to come in. Tell me about the Fae forest, why is it called that?

     “Legends say that in the mythic times that forest was the home to many mythical creatures and monsters. Though there's no one alive who might remember that, and no records survived either. One of the reasons why my people want into the repository, maybe we can find answers there.”

     I would like to see this repository. Is there any magic that lets you see your memories?

     “Most magic was lost after the war that ended a mythic era. So there might have been once.” Growing tired of lying down I stand up holding onto the bars.

     Tani… teach me magic. Please. I say bouncing and giving my best puppy dog eyes. I can see her heart start melting through her eyes, which strangely makes mine skip a beat. Just as she opened her mouth to respond my door was pushed inwards and I turned to see Mom and Anna standing there.

     “Hi, my special baby girl guess what today is?”

     “Buh?” I say and tilt my head. 

     “That's right, it's Mommy's birthday.” She said excitedly as she picked me up. “Today is special too. Because it's the first party you will attend, my precious Lillianna.” She held me up and swung me around. Her joy was also slightly infectious which caused me to smile and giggle. She became a giggly mess and held me tight. I gotta reign myself in. Well, it's her birthday so I can give her a little gift.

     I guess my test will have to wait. I tell Tani with a small sigh. Well, a party should be fun. I know just what gift to give her too.

 

*****

 

     I absolutely detest noble clothing. I mean I was never a fashion snob, I wore nice things. I am still a girl after all. But these noble clothes feel like I'm drowning in fabric. With Tani’s help, I was able to find something I like. She would signal me if something looked good without being too big. It took a lot of crying and fighting but eventually, Anna relented and put me in a cream-colored floral bell-sleeve lace dress with a poofy underskirt to hide my diaper.

     It still felt like too much but at least I didn't feel constricted. Plus the bell sleeves made it easy to hide my arms allowing me to talk to Tani still. My outfit changed Anna picked me up and carried me somewhere.

     Where are we?

     “We're walking down some hallway. There are paintings along the walls. And a few doors leading off somewhere,” she flew ahead and through a couple of walls returning pretty quickly. “It looks like we’re heading to a ballroom where a bunch of people are gathered for a party.”

     Anna took me to a small door that was apparently connected to the ballroom. She opened it and slipped inside. There was a pretty large group of people here. Some of them turned to look at me. A few nudged others and before long the whole group watched me as Anna handed me off to my mother. She took me in her lap.

     “Welcome everyone, I know we’re here to celebrate my birthday but I would like to introduce my daughter.” Huh that's different, nobles in my world's past would wait till their kids turned five. The hall was silent until one person started clapping. 

     Tani, am I really that strange that they can’t react?

     “Remember what I said. Your eyes have a strange charm to them. It's like they encapsulate all they see and trap it in a silvery haze.”

     Am I somehow using magic on them? 

     “No, it's more like you have a strong presence. How do I describe it… Ah, that’s it looking at your eyes the color shifts around. Like a constellation of stars moving around your eyes almost hypnotically.”

     Finally, it seemed like they broke free of whatever enchantment befell them as they joined in the clapping. Realizing how rude they had been. With my introduction complete the party started in earnest. I didn't really pay much attention. Though several people approached my mother, most wanting to get a closer look at me. Anna stood just behind her chair, poised and ready should something happen. Her light was sharp and focused, as she took in the party.

     It was strange actually, she was usually so calm and easygoing. But here she was, her energy taught, seeming like a drum about to burst. Thankfully nothing happened, though the atmosphere was tense, even I could feel that. Many people would steal glances at me before turning away when I looked at them. I began to have doubts about the official capacity of my babysitter. . 

     “Thank you everyone for receiving my daughter well. As you can see she has the silver eyes of darkness. Though I hope she will live a long and happy life. Though it makes me sad to know she’ll never actually see. But today is a joyous occasion after the gifts. I hope you will enjoy the banquet,” she said, sitting back down with me in her lap. I had some reservations about what I'm about to do, butterflies fluttering in my stomach. I tug on my mothers shirt and she looks down at me.

     “Yes baby girl?”

     “Ma ma, wub ooo,” I say, cursing my body in my head. I was going to fake baby talk but having it actually be that way is embarrassing. Tani is looking at me like I poked a hornet's nest. But this was the only gift I could give.

     “I LOVE YOU TOO MY SPECIAL LITTLE GIRL.” She hugged me tight and practically squealed in delight. I smiled and this made her even more mushy. It took Anna fifteen minutes to get Mother back in order. Her light had filled the entirety of the banquet hall. Anna held me while people approached my mother and handed her gifts. After she opened them and gave the proper thanks she handed them something in return.

     What is she giving them?

     “Small boxes that contain a ceremonial coin. It acts as a kind of thank you. And can be traded back to your mother for a favor. Though by custom it's usually something small.”

     After the gift exchange dinner was served, it smelled amazing and made me wish that I could eat solid foods. I was getting tired of fruit and vegetable mush. However, the juice was really nice. Even if I had to drink it from a glass baby bottle. I was put in a high chair next to my mother's chair, she took the liberty of feeding me. Anna did a good job but it was nothing compared to my mother's grace.

     Ok despite my earlier misgivings this food tasted really good. Better than usual, maybe to show off?

     Hey, Tani what am I eating?

      “It looks to be a rare type of fruit found in hot ocean climates. If it is that it's said to be a delicacy as the only way they can be transported is with magic. Which makes them almost prohibitively expensive.”

     After everyone had their fill, the tables were taken away by some servants I’d never seen before, each of them had the same mannerisms as Anna. As well as a similar level of preparedness. Once all the tables were cleaned away a small stage rose up from the floor. Mother carried me up to it and began to dance while holding me. She moved gracefully and elegantly despite pretty much just swaying everyone was entranced by her.

     What's wrong? Tani was looking at me with a slightly upset expression. 

     “I was supposed to have your first dance,” she said in mock outrage, then started laughing as she took my finger and started twirling along with my mother.

     After the music stopped playing she left the stage and returned to her seat. And began to watch as others danced on the stage. No one however could even come close to my mother’s level of skill.

     Even though Mother was watching the dancers, one look at her energy told me I was her sole focus. She was enraptured by my presence. Truthfully I missed her too, whatever it is she does has been stealing a lot of her time.

     I’m not sure how long we stayed there but I eventually started getting tired. Mother noticed this and gave me a kiss before handing me off to Anna who carried me away. Because of the day's events, I was pretty tired. At this rate, I might end up napping.

     “Hello, you’re so adorable when you sleep,” Tani said the moment my eyes opened up.

     Shush. I write back, I know she can see that I'm embarrassed. It was a short nap but I feel better now, and Anna let me sleep in my playpen which is nice.

     “So what were you trying here?”

     You'll see, maybe. She pesters me to tell her but I ignore her. I look over at Anna and she is once again doing something with her hands. I make my way over to one of the corner pillars. I looked at them before and they were just white rods to me but I had an idea.

     I'm going to use my silver sight to examine them. They looked the same as they did last time. This time however I began to focus my ether to my eyes. The rods shift slightly as the energy contained begins to take shape.

     “Lilli your eyes… whatever you're doing, stop.” Hearing the panic in her voice I released the power.

     What's wrong? I write looking up at her.

     ““They were visibly glowing, you were building a lot of power in them. Here use this pillar,” she said flying over to the corner opposite Anna leaving my back facing her. I begin to focus my power again as the same thing happens, the white light begins to shift. A pattern begins to emerge, I condense more ether in my eyes and they start to hurt but the pattern solidifies into a Sigil which seems to have a faint color about it, a brown one. I tried my best to memorize what I saw before the pain forced me to release my ether back into my body.

     That was painful. I write as I rub my eyes. Tani, does this make any sense to you? I ask and recreate the pattern.

     That is a Sigil to make something softer, oh it’s to make your playpen cushioned. Where did you see that?”

     When I focused ether to my eyes I saw this Sigil in the pillar, as well as a slight brown color.

     “Brown is the color for earth energy.” She looked lost in thought for a while “Lilli I think it's time to start teaching you magic."

 

Announcement
I'm looking forward to the magic lessons, they should prove interesting for Lilli and will really let me run wild with my ideas. she wont be able to help herself, for the betterment of man kind of course. not because she wants to see what she can do in this world.
28