Ch 9. Family and Future
298 5 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

 

 

     TANI WHERE WERE YOU? I nuzzled her, maybe a little less carefully than I usually did.

     “I’m sorry I had… business to take care of,” she said in an odd tone.

     What business?

     “Let’s just say you will be safe for a while,” she answered. I asked her for more details but she refused to say anything further. I didn't press that hard though I was just glad to have her back.

     I'm glad you’re back, I missed you so much. 

     “I could tell, the servants have been talking about your sudden foul mood,” she teased. I felt my cheeks grow warm. 

     Mom came back a couple of days ago. She spent the whole day with me. When I first saw her light she was absolutely furious. Also, today is Lia’s birthday. My cheeks were starting to hurt from how much I was smiling.

     “Look’s like someone is happy,” Anna said with a smile. “Let's get you ready for the party.” She picked me up and carried me into the closet. 

     Please don't leave again, or at least tell me when you are. I was really worried about you.

     “I’m sorry I made you worry. I was just so upset,” she said continuing to hug my face despite the fact Anna removed my clothing. She put several different outfits on me, but I was wholly focused on Tani. I told her about what happened during the week she was gone.

     “I feel bad for the people around you,” she said with a giggle. 

     Whose fault is that? She laughed again when I pouted at her. I ended up giggling too. Im so happy that you’re back, never leave again!!

     “I promise,” she said.

 

*****

 

     The birthday party was small, only family was allowed because of the break-in. Lia was positively beaming all throughout. There was plenty of food, for everyone else. Unlike moms birthday which was in the grand hall, Lia’s was in the formal dining room. At least that’s what Tani told me, one place looked like another to me. Mom's birthday was large with several hundred people in it. Lia had just shy of fifty. 

     I was my sister's living doll, though because I had Tani back I didn’t mind. She drew me pictures of the food they didn't look too different from what was on Earth. After dinner, it was time for Lia to open her presents. She received some pretty nice-looking clothes, though a little too ornate for my liking. Someone gave her an enchanted staff. apparently, she's going to be starting magic studies soon. Imagine if she knew her baby sister beat her to it. I accidentally giggled at that. She received a lot of jewelry. Some of which were enchanted as well. 

     Once all the gifts were open she gave out small coins. Sort of how Mom did, but unlike with Mom this was more symbolic and held no actual meaning beyond established traditions. After she gave one to everyone I looked up at her and decided to give her my gift.

     “Si si haa buu daa,” I said, still unable to make more complicated sounds. This elected a lot of squealing, cheek-pinching, and tickles. I knew it would happen but the smile that lit up Lia’s face was more than worth it.

     There was some mingling and a lot of talking but no dancing like at Mom’s birthday. Lia carried me around and introduced me to a bunch of different family members. I made sure to memorize their names, though Lia was mostly introducing me to them. Most of the family seemed to be here just as a sense of obligation. Their light showed that they didn’t really care, some actively hated it. 

     “So this is Lillianna,” said a woman who had nearly as much light as Mom.

     “Aunt Jean!” Lia said excitedly. “Is Uncle Francis with you?”

     “He’s around somewhere. What's the matter with her eyes?”

     “Lilli has the cloudy eyes. The doctor says she can't see.” So they think I can't see at all. 

     “Oh poor baby, will she get better? And she seems to be able to follow people.”

     “The doctor says no, he also says that she’s probably using sound to follow us. Sometimes it seems like she can see us though.”

     It's really annoying having people talk about me in front of me… 

     “Most babies wouldn’t understand,” Tani said with a smile. “You are entirely unique in that.” She gave me a hug which made me reluctantly smile.

     “There are my precious daughters,” Mom said as she walked over to us. “Ah, Jean you’re here too.”

     “Hello Mirri, how's my favorite sister doing?”

     “More like only sister,” she replied with a snort then asked, “and I am well how about yourself?”

     “I am well. Preparations for the move are well underway. Francis and I are honored to be allowed here. Especially after…” she was interrupted by Mom.

     “Jean would you please come with me,” Mom said then looked down at us. “Lia take Lilli and go introduce her to your family members.

     “Ok mommy,” she replied and carried me off.

     Tani, please? I wanted to know what Mom and Jean were talking about.

     “I’ll go,” she said immediately picking up on what I wanted.

     We walked around the party, well carried in my case. And met more family, I definitely knew who to avoid. Although they were all polite and cordial, their facade was easily pierced by my sight. I made extra sure to memorize their names though I'm sure they would be stored in my Mind Palace. We also met Uncle Francis, he was too busy to talk but he seemed nice enough.

     Mom's conversation with her sister must have been a long one because Tani didn't return to me till the party was just about over. She shook her head at my question and just said later. Mom and Lia called everyone’s attention and thanked them for coming and gave them well wishes. 

     Anna came over and escorted Lia, who was still carrying me, back to my room. They changed me, I was wearing something more casual since it wasn’t a noble affair. But it was still stifling. Lia carried me back to my room and sat us down before she started to read to me.

     So what happened? Maybe I was adapting to my new body but I found my patience was starting to wane easier now. Tani didn’t start talking immediately however instead choosing to cling to my neck.

     "Your aunt is going to be moving in. They discovered who was behind your attempted kidnapping. But they have no concrete evidence, so she will be moving in to provide extra security.”

     When? I kind of figured that might have been what was happening. She seemed really nice and her light was just as warm and inviting as the rest of my family. Uncle Francis seemed to be good too. His light was friendly and cheerful.

     “They are going to try and move in before your birthday. It is going to be your formal introduction and they want to make sure you are safe apparently they reinforced the barrier around your room as well.”

     Yea, I saw them bringing in something recently. Lia finished the book and decided it was time for a tickle session which left me giggling and wet. I'm really growing tired of that. After a change, I was sitting with Lia again. She started telling me about what she was learning at school as well as her worries about the magic academy.

     Apparently, she would have to move into a dorm for that. I guess my emotions showed as she started reassuring me. Lia continued to talk and held me tight. Her presence was more comforting now. I really was going to miss her when she moved. I have to make sure I get as much time with her as I can. Well, I don’t want to cut into my Tani time. 

     “I guess you should spend a lot of time with her,” she said as if reading my mind.

     Yea, though when she isn’t here my time is all yours. I smiled as she blushed, damn was she cute. So who was behind it?

     “Didn't, I say?” she asked, I shook my head in response. “Sorry, it was a noble who has a grudge against your family. Apparently, your father stopped an operation of his. He was implicated in a smuggling trade but the evidence was destroyed before he could be brought up in trial.”

     I see… I hope that he doesn’t try that again. I’ve already died once I’d rather not repeat it any time soon. 

     “Do you…?”

     Remember how?

     “Yes, if it isn’t too painful to recount.”

     Honestly. I don’t know. My last memory, even the one in my memory palace, is me leaving the lab after a long day and boarding the bus home. 

     “Not really much to go on,” she said as she rubbed my face.

     No, but my death isn't important. Plus it brought us together. I smiled at her which made her blush.

     “Well I may have something that will help you,” she remarked. A huge grin spread across her face. No matter what I tried she refused to tell me what she was plotting. The only thing she said was that I’ll see what soon. Neither of us wanted to do anything but snuggle, so that’s what we did.

     I must have fallen asleep in my pen, I was so glad to have her back, because I woke up in my mind palace. I sorted my old memories some more. I had been making pretty good progress I had gotten three full years already sorted. I still haven’t decided how far back I'm going to sort. Those memories were sorted already by when they were last remembered. At least in my old lifes time. 

     I didn't spend my entire time sorting old memories. I had isolated all the parts of the Sigil I could identify. The runes have to be some kind of language because I'm already seeing similarities. The patterns must also serve some function, I have a few hypotheses but I can't put them into effect until I can actually start using the damn things. 

     I sigh and once again wish I could tell the time in here. Though that probably wouldn't work too well because I'm fairly certain time works weirdly here. Oh, and there goes the lights again, definitely getting better at staying in here. I can instinctively tell that I have been in here longer and longer. Well, time to wake up I suppose. I resume sorting now until the darkness wraps itself around me and drags me into unconsciousness.

     Everything falls back into the same routine, well mostly the same. Lia has been spending every day in my room now. Andi comes by every couple of days, he's apparently being tutored during the break by a martial arts instructor. Tani resumed teaching me Sigils and I've been working on deciphering them. I kind of wish I took my linguistics minor seriously now. 

     The whole mansion is abuzz with activity currently. It's a couple of days until Andi’s birthday. He’s apparently old enough now for his engagement to be made. Unlike on earth, however, both parties need to agree after a trial period, so kind of like dating as more than friends but not quite lovers. I’ll need to find a way to avoid that myself, I don't want to be tied down to some noble. Maybe I can use my blindness as an excuse? Well, that is still many years off.

     “Lilli?” Tani said tickling my cheek. “What are you thinking about?”

     The future, my brother's birthday, his engagement. Stuff like that. 

     “Sounds pretty weighty. And something a baby like you shouldn't need to think about.

     I mean I'm not really, I may look like a baby but I definitely don't think like one. 

     “You act like one sometimes,” she said with a laugh. Laughing harder when I pouted at her. I started laughing too, which made Lia tickle me.

     “Sop,” I said the word slipping out of me. This elicited a series of squees and fawning. Io really should say more things to get them to stop doing this. Though I don't know what I would say to them. 

     “Anyways Lilli, I was thinking of teaching you to actually use magic soon.”

     When? I may have been a little excited at this. Fantasy nerd, I was not but still, it's magic. 

     “After your birthday. So we need to drill the basics into you before then.”

25