Ch 12. Titania and Jean
362 7 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

 

     Auntie was pissed. Mom had told her about one of the heads of the branch families. They apparently talked about how I must be a useless burden. And that the best thing would be to ship me off to the countryside and marry one of their sons. That they would make a proper woman out of me since no one else would. The kicker was the son was twelve years older than I was.

     “I’ll make them pay for this,” Auntie said her light became blinding and stabbed out aggressively.

     “I agree, they need to have some consequences for this,” I expected that from Auntie but not Tani. 

     Its ok Tani. I tried to calm her down.

     “No, it’s not. They insulted you, your honor, and your mother's honor. It was a thinly veiled insult against you and her. 

     “They’ve already been blacklisted from any future gatherings I hold. And I'll be restricting their access to our Ethereum crystals.”

     “Still this insult can't be allowed to pass. I’ll think about the matter. But I wanted to talk about Lilli.”

     “She seems to have taken a like to you Jean.”

     “And I’ve taken a like to her Miri.” Auntie squeezed me gently and both of their lights brightened. I giggled happily which made all three girls fawn over me.

     “So what did you want to talk to her about?”

     “I want Lilli to have a playroom. That bedroom of hers is far too small. And she’ll need to have some form of movement.”

     “It's too dangerous,” Mom said in her motherly voice.

     “I’ve already thought about that. I know her playpen has a softening spell on it but I've recently come across a natural way to make things softer. I call it Elastom, it is something I discovered by accident. When I was exploring the jungles of central IoriaI I found this tree it contained a tyar that was very sticky, when I tried to remove it from my hands it pulled away in long strings.”

     “How could something sticky help?”

     “See that's what's interesting, the locals say this tree is a pain to cut down because the tyar sticks to everything and causes their axes to not cut as deep. They have to use alcohol to clean them because if you set the tyar on fire it solidifies into a dark firm material. It apparently also cushions impacts. I've purchased a large amount of land there and am currently transplanting trees.”

     “I still don’t see how this can help.”

     “I'm getting to that Miri. I’ve already had a few ideas and my alchemists have refined the process. So far I've been able to make sheets of the stuff. But I believe that it could be used in other applications so I’ve commissioned a few blacksmiths to make me some specialized molds. I’ve been having my alchemists experiment with the auto-carriage idea and I think this may be an answer to the rough riding problem. If you let me build the playroom I can use that to soften the room so even if she runs into something she won't hurt herself.”

     “Let me see some of that Elastom and if it's as you say I’ll give you permission to make the room.”

     So Auntie discovered rubber huh? I’ll give her some ideas later.

     “One more thing,” Auntie began, “I would like Lilli to stay in my room with me. I've already applied barriers and protections, I believe it will be for the best as I’ll be there to protect her at all times.” 

     “Ok, Jean I trust you. I’ll post Anna to you then while you stay here.” Mommy said then rang a bell. A half second later Anna entered.

     “Yes, mistress?” 

     “Anna you will be posted with Jean and will be attending to her and Lilli. You are to move your things to her servant's quarters. Additionally, Lilli’s crib is to be moved into Jean's quarters. As well as her effects and toiletries.”

     “Yes Ma’am,” she said bowing. I could tell she did not like these orders though. She departed and I could hear her walking down the hall.

     “Now on to further business,” Mom began.

 

*****

 

     I woke up on the changing table, Jean was staring down at me. 

     “So those eyes do open,” she said with a giggle. I looked around and she said, “We’re alone, well save for Tani.” 

     “Ahti, fank ooo,” I say.

     “You’re welcome, sweetie.”

     Tani, can you help me? I ask her.

     “Sure what's wrong?”

     Nothing’s wrong I just want to give my auntie some advice about her Elastomer.

     After Tani cast the spell to make herself visible I explained how she could possibly work the rubber more. Including a way to make the tires more cushioning. She gave me a suspicious look then thanked me and set me down on her bed while she sat in a chair.

     “About the playroom, is there anything you want or need?”

     “If Ahti can make a small part of the woom have a spell that will wet me talk to Tani without being heard,” I want to practice my speaking and this will definitely help. It took me so much effort to not mess up more sounds. 

     “Of course Lilli. Now where did you get the idea for the Elastom?”

     “I wemember things, fwom my past wife,” I didn’t mention I remember basically everything but that’s fine. 

     “Hmmm it's not the first time rebirth has been suggested but if what you say is true then that was correct. Still, I do feel like you are still hiding something.”

     We then spent the next hour while Auntie started telling me about the world at large. She started with Ioria. Apparently, the country operated like a republic. They had one major city and relied on exports mostly to survive. They were largely neutral and operated much like the Caribbean countries from Earth. Exporting things they produced that only grew there and importing things they couldn’t get. 

     The country was an island, it's hard to estimate exactly how large but I’d say larger than Hawaii but smaller than New Zealand. It used to be a pirate nation but after one of the council captains attempted to overthrow the others there was a bloody purge. Pirate ships from then on were treated harshly and the city elected a council. Now the whole country was fitted with magical defenses. Not even a bird can enter unnoticed. With the revolution they invested heavily in logistics magic, creating a state-of-the-art fleet that can preserve food for the long journey across the oceans. 

     Auntie had to pull a lot of strings to get permission to purchase land there, and she still has to justify her existence there. I asked her about the ships they use and apparently, it's still mostly wooden sailing ships. I gave her some ideas to create an engine. Still mostly wind-powered but it can at least work no matter which direction the wind blows. 

     As I began to nod off she picked me up and put me in my crib. Handing me a glass bottle fitted with a rubber tip, an experiment of hers apparently. I gave her some tips on this too, mostly to improve the shape and texture. She made notes of what I said and thanked me. I nursed the bottle and quickly fell asleep.

 

*****

 

     Auntie is a ruthless teacher. But I have been learning a lot. It helps that I seem to have Eidetic memory now. I still can't make certain sounds but I am getting better. It's been two weeks since my birthday. Auntie got Mom to okay the playroom and I have been spending basically every day in there. Anna and Auntie are a constant presence here. There's one corner, where most of my toys are that is fitted with a magic circle, well square. While I’m inside of it anyone who looks at me will not be able to see me talking.

     To them, it’ll look like I happen to be playing. I found the sigils that power the item and made a note of them. Tani has also started to teach me how to use magic. At her insistence, the magical item will also hide my use of magic. I’m honestly surprised Auntie made it so quickly.

     “Ok Lilli now I’ve told and shown you how to do this so cast Fairylight for me.”

     “Otay, fotus my powa. Twansform it to wight.” I could manipulate my Ether effectively, draining it every day for over a year led to some good control. But changing its nature was proving to be a bit of a challenge. 

     “You’re almost there,” she said encouragingly.

     “Fawiwight.” I called out hoping the words don’t need to be said perfectly. To my surprise, the sigil appeared before my eyes and a glowing ball appeared. “Tani I did it,” I squealed excitedly.

     “Very good,” she said and hugged my face. 

     “Fankiee, I use magic,” I couldn’t help but giggle in delight. “How wong wiw it wast?”

     “Depends on how much Ether you used to cast it. And its purity.”

     “Piwity?” 

     “Yes, I'm sure you noticed the difference between your mom and aunt.”

     “Mhmm, Mommy wight duh-wer dan Auntie’s.” 

     “Yes, and yours is purer than any other human, in fact, it's almost as pure as a spirits.”

     “Wats dat mean?”

     “You might have a bit of a problem at first converting your Ether. But as you practice you’ll get better at it. Fairy light is a spirit spell and the fact you can so easily cast it shows how pure your Ether actually is.”

     “Pwactice den?” 

     “Yes, practice is key,” Tani said giggling when I groaned. 

     I spent the next hour trying to cast a warm air spell. It was the same one in the blow dryer Anna used after my baths. I managed to succeed just as Anna and Auntie began to walk over. I quickly dispelled it and stood up, toddling my way over to them. 

     “Hi Lilli it's lunchtime,” Anna said looking down at me. I looked in her direction then held up my arms. She picked me up and carried me over to the chair she was sitting in. She gave me some fruit and vegetables, soft of course. As well as a couple of small pieces of thin meat and a bottle of milk. After feeding me Anna passed me off to Auntie who carried me to her room.

     I could tell Anna didn’t want to let me go but she had her orders. As Auntie carried me she baby-talked me. The fact it was just for show didn't lessen the embarrassment. Once we got back to her room Tani cast her spell and became visible.

     Hey Tani I meant to ask, why didn’t you use that spell before? 

     “Oh because I didn’t know it until I left for that week,” she said while snuggling me.

     “I sill mad about dat,” I said reflexively. 

     “Mad about what sweetie?” Auntie asked.

     “Tani weft for a week, it made me reawwy sad,” I answered. 

     “Oh, Miri mentioned that. She was starting to get worried about you.”

     “Sowwy…” I apologized.

     “It's ok, you’re just a baby,” she said poking my belly and making me giggle. She then proceeded to tickle me and tease me when she had to change me.

     “Ahti…” I said with a pout that just made her giggle.

     “Whos a cute baby girl?” she said in response before looking at Tani, her tone becoming businesslike. “How was her lesson?”

     “She’s amazing, her brain is like a sponge that absorbs everything I throw at her.”

     Auntie has been teaching me about the world and various countries, animals, races, and even down to what families produce what. While Tani has been teaching me magic. Auntie is brutally efficient and quizzes me at random times. While Tani is patient and gentle.

     “What is the chief export of the Zant kingdom?” I mentally accessed the information. My mind palace leveled up or something cause now I can easily pull information from it. 

     “Dey expot mostwy food, gwain is the most, but dey awso have wice.” 

     “Correct, they import precious materials and export jewelry as well. Its lower volume than their food but it's higher value. Where do Fendri live at?”

     “Dey pwimawawy wive in de fwozen countwy of Glakais. Dey are hunted for deir pelt.”

     “Correct, though they also sometimes have ice-aligned Ether crystals,” she said proudly.

     Auntie loved to teach me at any opportunity. I probably know as much now as kids eight years older than myself. Well technically I know more than anyone in this world, I assume. My doctorate may be in material sciences but I do have other degrees in other fields of study.

     “Lilli would you like to bathe with Auntie?”

     “Yus,” I say excitedly before catching myself. It seems like being able to actually hold a conversation with an adult is making me regress somewhat.

     “Flower you are so precious,” Tani said from my shoulder, making me blush.

     “You both are adorable. I expect you two to keep things appropriate you hear?”

     “Ahti I baby…” I said, my face warm. Besides I am asexual, and I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed. 

     “I’m just looking out for my precious niece,” she said picking me up and carrying me to the tub. She disrobed and then set me in the tub before slipping in herself. I splashed a bit, maybe I was excited for my first real bath since I was reborn but I was having fun. I played for a bit while Auntie relaxed. She scooped me up at some point and washed my hair with a nice-smelling shampoo. But there was no conditioner, I didn't think there would be but I kind of hoped. Guess that's another thing I’d need to invent. So many things so little time.

     After my bath was finished she dried me off and drained the tub. After getting me out of the tub she put on a clean diaper. I never really considered what they do with these. Given they are cloth probably clean and reuse them. Sorry for whoever has to clean up after me. I was dressed up in my favorite nightgown and then carried by Auntie to my crib. 

     “Ahti?”

     “Yes?”

     “Wuv ooo.”

     “Love you too sweetie,” she said giving me a kiss on my forehead.

     “Wuv ooo Tani,” I say to her as she floats down to snuggle next to me.

     “I love you too my flower,” she replied and kissed my cheek. I panicked for a moment before I saw Auntie with my bear. I took her in my arms and snuggled her quickly falling asleep. Well actually going to my mind palace, but same difference really. I started to sort. I was getting to the painful memories now.

     With a mental sigh, I set to my task.

21