1.03: This is going to end up as trouble-
422 8 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV: Prissy.

She watched mistress, mistress' consort, and the strange man from the kingdom here with his wife ― expecting them to talk about the recent turn of events. Surely the mistress would like to talk more of how that woman said? I-i-it's not like Prissy wanted to talk about it! N, no there was nothing to say, for being pointed to!

Even while sitting here in this nice dining establishment, Prissy could only consider her mistress' feelings. Or hoped she could understand them. Life was hard enough, to be a dungeon combatant, and personal maid, and ... as she hoped, mistress' friend-

At least, she'd been all three roles, up until this man Jack came along, and suddenly the mistress was spending more time with him than Prissy.

Jealousy? Prissy does not know the meaning. No, really she does not.

Jack only said this word, 'jealous', one time, in a teasing manner. Even back then, she didn't mind a little teasing from others; only because it was him who said this, did she suddenly feel so threatened. Whatever. She went about her own way to try to figure out what 'jealousy' meant ― only to be told, it was something like a selfish anger over others.

-b, but, shouldn't Prissy be the one to spend the most time with mistress? Was this not the way it had been since mistress had been brought into this world? Why then should this word so suddenly be said of her?


The food arrived, with the woman who owned this establishment handing out the plates in a well practiced and practical manner. She smiled a lot at Jack, and at the mistress too; but somehow it bothered Prissy to see Jack smiling back at this woman too.

Pay attention only to your wife, man!

-or, maybe, to me too?

That princess girl, she, she pointed at Prissy! So, it's not like it's so strange a thought!

She blushed, something she had done once or twice, or a hundred times, in the last couple of days. She felt glad, neither mistress nor mistress' consort noticed, or maybe the teasing would be more merciless. This was an errant thought, of how he, he ― he held her! While taking her to the healing chamber.

And then she went ahead and reacted all standoffish, aloof; and then when it came the moment to cross into the healing room, and she looked to the threshold-

'Oh what is a poor dungeon minion, a poor nekomata, to do ... in the service of her mistress?'

But this juice ... some of the best juice ― okay only juice ― Prissy had ever tasted. And those meats ― mm to die for!

At one point in this meal, she found herself starting a soft purr; both Jack and the mistress looked her way, and just chuckled. She didn't mind; this is good eating, right here-

And before long, the time had come to actually pay up and leave.


PoV: Jack Thorn.

With the rest of the troop outside and waiting, Jack stood at the counter, whispering to the proprietress while holding out a handful of coin.

"Dayna, really, please let me pay what I know this costs to make-"

"Nope, hon. Let me do this. After all, weren't those two rabbits friends of your Rose? I am serious; they provided me with some good ingredients, and more than that, it's been profitable in the day from using those things and getting Sir Pembley to pay up, I felt like doing this."

"-well ... but I don't want you to short change yourself-"

"... ah I'm not hon, just don't worry. I do well enough. Plus I think," she lowered her volume to continue, "she might have more than this, she can benefit the local village, more than the kingdom ever has."

Jack narrowed his eyes momentarily; but if there were any hint of deception in Dayna's face it could not be found.

"You are saying, you would be fine in learning Rose's secret."

"Yeah okay, we all have secrets Jack. I'm okay with it if it doesn't mean trouble for the village. Well an overbearing princess aside ― and one who needs a good spankin as daddy used to say ― I think you and Rose do make a good match. I see you two together, and you seem to be a pair. I did wonder once why we never got- ah. Never mind it. But you and her, you're good. That shy kitty, she might also have a thing for you too ― just saying."

"Oh, you tease me too much, Dayna-"

"Am I teasing? Well I'm sure you'll find out, soon enough, on your own." Dayna waved it away, drawing the conversation to a close, more or less. "You still haven't told me where to reach you, Jack. If I should need to get a message to you."

"... well I live with Rose-" he saw her nod, she already knew this much, "out in the country. Oh about three quarters of a kilometer to the south, in fact, where it starts to get more hilly on the land. But even if I tell you this, it's probably better to just wait for me to come every so often, instead of sending me a message-"

"-she's a dungeon, isn't she."

"..."

"Okay no pressure. I'm fine with it. Some of the other businessmen might worry; but if you and your family there can consistently supply some ingredients, then I'm more than happy to keep the secret and let the others fuss it out. Might make for a great scene in the end, if they ever find out somehow and I tell them all these great ingredients do come from Rose ― might make them think twice about attacking her place."

"... okay. I believe you, Dayna. It's more apt to say, she's the manager of the dungeon, not the dungeon itself ... if you get the difference. But I do hope it's a secret you can keep, for as long as you possibly can. Rose is ... already afraid of something happening-"

"No word of this will escape my lips except in defense of her and your honor, I promise."

"Okay then. What she needs though? If you get more varieties of seeds from around the kingdom, or from around the world too ― anything with seeds, she can probably grow somewhere within the dungeon, then trade produce back to you."

"... anything she'd like in particular?"

"Peppers. Hot peppers, the hotter the better. The kind that makes your eyes water, and that makes you reach for a jug of water just to get it down-"

Dayna laughed. "Yeah, I know of a few ― there was a guy trying to sell some of that, and he gave away a few samples, let's see- Darrey! Go get that seed sampler number seventy two."

Within a moment, Dayna handed Jack a packet of seeds, and he bid her goodbye.


He grinned ceaselessly while approaching the two girls, taking each by the arm. He linked to Rose on his right, and Prissy at his left ― hey this time Prissy didn't object, what's going on-

"Hmm? Jack, why are you smiling like that?"

"I got something you wondered about, since we came together." He held the packet of seeds in one hand, still linked in the arms. "A packet of hot pepper seeds-"

"Oo!" Her eyebrows lit up, so excited now. "What kind? How many seeds, um, no matter, I can keep growing them. But anyway how hot are they."

"I don't know. Dayna said, some peddler came by, trying to dispense them, and he somehow left them as a sample packet. She didn't have a need for them, and so she gave them to ... you."

"Oh that's nice, I'll have to return to thank her, some day."

"Why not just invite her over to our place?"

"... Jack ... let her ... into the dungeon?"

"She already guessed, on her own. And she's fine with it. No worries about her."

"I would not be so sure," Prissy inserted from the left side.

"But Prissy ― even before Rose and I knew each other, I'd been here a while, so I do know and trust Dayna enough. I believe her, Prissy. In how I love Rose, I also trust Dayna Cartan to not break her word of trust."

"... hmm."

"Aw, I love you too Prissy."

Okay Jack knew he probably shouldn't tease like this; but he was feeling good. He'd just had an excellent meal, with Rose and Prissy and even the Pembley couple, and then getting those seeds for Rose ― how could he not feel so free to just tease so eagerly.

But when she stiffened in her grasp of him, then softened so calmly, he then wondered, what went on in her mind. Of course, if left to Dayna's definition of things ... then maybe Prissy ... had some sort of feeling for him? Inconceivable!

But Rose began to wonder too, about the seeds at least. "But are they viable, can I plant them here in my dungeon, and what to do with them-"

"Use them to defeat the princess?"

"How Jack?"

Jack smiled, grinning openly to Rose. "Honey, dear, even if this variety of pepper is mild compared to what you were used to ― in all my time at Ella's beck and call, I don't think she ever once ate something spicy. If you were to, I don't know, say, 'challenge her to a cook off' with the prize being me ― she might lose ... or at least run away from the spicy flavoring."

At once Rose started laughing, and reciting all the things she remembered doing with peppers. All sorts of recipes her abuela, her madre, and her tia would make all the time.

"Ai ai ai, this is gonna be fantastico! But Jack, after this, if I win but she ever comes back for you, I will kill her."

"... eh well just remember what Grant said, she is still a princess in a kingdom."

"Doesn't matter. If she cannot give you up, she is doomed. Nobody messes with my man!"

"Whoa, hey, what about the being passive, or peaceful?"

"When it comes to you or someone trying to take you away from me ... this ends."

Suddenly, Jack wondered if it were the right thing to do, giving her these pepper seeds. "This is going to end up as trouble-"

"Oh but think of all the meals I can make with these peppers now Jack! Think of all the things I can have you taste test for me!"

-gulp.

"... while I can eat spicy foods ... in moderation ... I don't think I can eat them all the time."

"... oh Jack my hot tamale you will survive ... somehow-"

And on the other side, he felt a furry head lean against his shoulder, and heard a faint purr, while they all walked, linked in the arms.

So maybe all it takes for Prissy to ease off of stressing him, is for her to hear how Rose would hurt anyone going after him?


At a mere couple dozen more meters, Jack shook out of the tight embrace of the two females, and stood by himself.

"You two, do go ahead; I have something more to do."

"Jack-"

"It's okay, Rose dear; I just ... wanted to call on a couple deities. I'll be back before long."

"-okay. Don't be gone long! Come on Prissy, keep up!"

As they receded away from him, he turned his gaze skyward, and called out softly, "Well then. Any deities here who can hear me-"

And in a flash, he was swept up from the mortal plane, and reappeared in a different realm, cottony soft clouds forming the floors, and no need for walls right here.

Nine. A whole nine deities ― five goddesses, four gods ― stood here watching him. If the ancient words told him were true, he should be seeing only an even number of six ― equal genders, equal participation in the mortal world.

They stood in a straight line, with one slightly back of the linear row to the other six. At the left is Leandra, who he'd seen already; next to her was the one representing Consequence, Draefur. Erinna, the goddess of Purity, was the one who summoned him; he already knew her as well as he needed to. And the others, eh he might like to become acquainted to in time-

"Jack Thorn, how do you do today?" asked Leandra, to start the conversation.

"Oh you know, dealing with things."

"Yeah, we saw this. We are watching you, because we want to see how you get out of ... certain things. Oh, a princess not willing to give you up, and so whatever in the world will you do?" She winked with a certain playful nature.

"Skip it. Or rather, just set it aside for now, for me to come back to later; I've got more concerns of a pressing issue. This 'Red Cape Legion' adventuring team-"

"Jack, I did give them a warning not to cross you or Rose; but it seems the pressure from that king is really just too much ... and so they did go. But they won't enter the dungeon just yet; the princess wanted to take her time with you first, before letting them go attack Rose's dungeon."

"... um. Wait. If I may ask ― who summoned Rose, and then left her alone?"

A small tortured face among the goddesses stepped forward. "I am Delilah, Goddess of Trickery. It was by necessity for me to join the pantheon to summon a dungeon master or mistress into the mortal plane; I am so sorry to hear and see she felt as if she became abandoned from me. Please, pass on this package to her, when you return. It contains some more things I would have given her in time."

She tossed the package his way ― seeing it float through the air until it came into his grasp, and he felt it go into his inventory space. He nodded. "Delilah. I will do as you ask. But please do consider appearing to her yourself, some time."

"About this, Jack," spoke up the goddess in the back row, his summoner Erinna, "I have foreseen the potential of Rose being destroyed in short order, if she should keep her dungeon where it is. So, we have come to the conclusion ― for our youngest goddess Delilah's efforts not to have been a wasted one ― Rose's dungeon must move to a new location."

Jack could only stare at the major immensity of the thought. Move the dungeon? Discounting the fact of a dungeon taking up so much space within an underground realm, and forgiving Rose for assuming Jack was calling her 'fat' or 'too heavy to move' ... could a whole dungeon just 'magically' be picked up as one unit, and placed into another space?

"It is possible," spoke this head goddess, to answer his unspoken thought. "The mortal world she and you live within is large enough and yet has many areas still in a state of wilderness ― so as to be places to found your own kingdom. It's something we had to setup too ― since we didn't know in the first place you would have met Rose ... or that you would have performed a 'mana burn' until the kingdom pressed you into it. So, we had a lot to work around ― changing mana flows across a whole world, for one thing."

Jack hesitated, worrying for moment that some of these deities may 'blame' him for this action. But seeing as none of them pressed further on this, he could only nod in silent acknowledgement.

"And also as I said before," Leandra continued, "I do have reason to readjust which powers in the world receive my 'luck'. It is time for a seventh great nation to arise in this world, and perhaps you could be its king. With of course, Rose as your queen."

"How? No, first, why?"

Delilah nodded again. "It was intentional that I picked someone who wished to be sort of pacifist, yet may handle a dungeon. We have two places in the world where you and her can go, when the dungeon is moved. And yet there is a form of 'portal magic' to allow you to simultaneously link your new realm to, say, some dwelling existing in this village you are fond of ― to keep your business deals."

"You may have noted, the prosperity of trade between Rose's dungeon and the villagers there ― this is by no small means, one of my intentions," Leandra stated. "I wanted to ensure her earliest dealings with others would go smoothly. And it has; so much so, we see no reason to end her business dealings. Also in whichever house you do purchase in the village, or have constructed, then you can place a portal within, linked to the dungeon. For now, I'll limit it to eight portals from your wife's dungeon, with one destination being a home in that village, and the other portal locations elsewhere. In due time, you can double the total number of portals we will allow."

"Also the main site we wish you to accept, is also on the far side of the world from the site of your last major battle, and thus still has the most mana remaining. Yes, Jack ― your sword buddy could then come back to 'consciousness'. And a whole lot more ― not all of it 'good' for this world yet."

Jack gulped. He'd missed Slicer so much ― the witticisms, the teasing nature, the reminder of which girl's father to avoid for the time being-

But all that could come back, if he and Rose just ... accepted, this offer. Well the dungeon minions need not have a say, either way; they went with the dungeon, and none of them really had a connection to this land in the first place.

"A question. Since Rose mentioned to me things in her dungeon management screen, will they be available as she's outside of the dungeon, say within range of one of the portal locations around the world? Or must she only be within the dungeon itself to manage those things?"

"One small modification, maybe ― if Rose is within a scant five meters of the portal location, and out of sight of others who should not see such things being active, then we will permit it."

"... or maybe, I would also like to know. What role do I have with Rose; just as her husband? Or maybe some part of helping her dungeon grow? And what if in time I grow old and-"

"Shh, Jack." Erinna inserted, extending her arm long enough to touch a fingertip to his lips. "That, also, will be revealed in time. We don't have a reason to expect or prevent either way for those issues; you still have a free will. And as for growing old ― let's just say, as long as Rose is alive ... you might be as well."

His heart beat hard, as he did consider the full implication of this. He'd recently wondered so much ― if he would have such a chance. Maybe even almost pray about it ... except he didn't really consider ― well damn. Here were all the deities right here, and he was thinking he didn't believe in them enough to pray to one!

"... I hope I'm not asking too much with this next thing, but ... why? Why do this for her?"

A small series of looks passed among the deities; and then at last they turned back to Jack.

"Because Rose will have an important role, in the future."

"... this is a rather cryptic comment."

"This is all we can give, at this time. And we would also ask of you, not to speak of it, even to her."

"I get it. Because you do not want her to get an enlarged sense of self value, an ego that is unmanageable."

"This is one way of saying it, yes. We will put no further constraint upon you in this regard, as it seems you do understand our overall intent. Do be with her, young mortal warrior, to be her husband ― as you have said you will be. Now we must send you back toward the dungeon ― those same adventurers are already there-"


Jack's heart skipped a beat once more ― he arrived, to see not just Rose, but also Prissy, held in a deathly tight grasp of two separate men ― and four others there at the dungeon entrance.

"Well, well, well! If it isn't little Jacky boy!"

The leader of the team, a man in his late thirties, balanced a dagger across a lone finger, flipped it up into the air, and caught it with his fingers. Nary a scratch, as was his habit.

It pained Jack to hear the man belittle him; but he understood why. In the dungeons when they passed each other, the man had been courteous and almost friendly; though keeping his distance. In this matter, the man knew he'd have to possibly go up against Jack, so ... friendship might not do him any good. Tactically, it was good for him to emotionally separate himself from feeling 'friendly'.

"Old Man Hard-on-"

"Oh don't give me that lip, Jocko. You know my proper name, so why not greet me too?"

In fact his name was Hardan, Blake Hardan. But the younger, more inexperienced ones may inferentially call him 'Old Man Hard-on' ― usually only once, within earshot of the man.

"Just doing the same as you did."

Hardan chuckled, showing a new tooth missing. Probably the latest bar fight, if rumors were true about this team's carousing. Didn't stop the man from being able to down a whole mug of something strong in a few seconds, or to be able to pay any wench in a bar to be his bitch for the night. No, from his notoriety and prosperity, he'd gained a lot ― as the rest of his team did.

At least, the team came themselves, and not sent their younger teammates on this quest.

'This is going to end up as trouble, I just know it-'

"Why don't you thugs just ease away from my wife and friend."

"So well, see here's the thing. About this little dungeon lady. We've been sent by the king, and we always finish what we start."

Jack really wished Slicer could wake up for this-

"And, Leandra telling you not to come here, didn't even factor-"

"Aha, so I see you got some crazy bitch coming here too, calling herself that? Well whatever, it's not like we really need the 'Lady Luck' anymore. We do well enough on our own, to not need her-"

A lightning strike impacted, right where the man stood. His armor might have absorbed upwards of eighty percent of that strike, but it still left the guy in a serious daze. Plus now it smelled as if he'd lost his bowel function, momentarily.

Jack grinned. "Not so lucky right now? Why don't you go away, and come back another day?"

But as the moment passed, the man was again back in control of his mental faculties. Jack knew he must have some serious boosts, just to shake off a lightning strike from a goddess, no less.

"We'll go when we're good and done going through this crappy dungeon!"

"Fine by me if you want to explore the crops inside-"

"Crops, what you talking about?"

"This dungeon. It's going the agricultural route. No fighting, only farming. Oh but I'm sure if you are looking for a fight ... I'm sure someone will step forward to take up the challenge. Until then ... go back to that bastard king and tell him, leave this place alone."

"... so did you go see the princess already, Jocko? We know she's looking for you-"

"Just been there, just left her hanging. Not going at her beck and call."

"Very dangerous, boy, going against the royalty."

"They aren't my royalty. Rose here, that yong woman your impotent thug has his hands all over, is my queen, as I am her king. Nothing more needs to be said."

"Really, Jack? You trying to setup some kind of kingdom or something? Because we've been known to end some upstarts rebelling against the king ― in fact you were there too once, weren't you Jack."

"Forget that, it's not the same; in this case we've got the deities' blessing. Now. Your turn, boys. REMOVE YOUR HANDS FROM MY WIFE AND FRIEND."

He glared at the team, especially at the man invading his wife's personal space. In all this time she had not whimpered once ― maybe she couldn't, or maybe she'd resigned herself to whatever happened next. Or just maybe with Jack here, she'd just wait patiently for things to sort themselves out.

In any case, Hardan only laughed, and waved the two guys off. "Come on crew, let's go back to the village and have some fun with the girl at the inn."

Finally freed, both Rose and Prissy stepped to his side. But Jack wasn't done; he'd just heard them say what they intended to do, when outside of his immediate grasp.

"... let me guess. You are going to do that, right under the nose of Sir Pembley? Because you know that he's also staying there. Plus he has a direct line back to the king, as well as to a whole line of army commanders and even the royal treasurer. Why, I'm sure within minutes of you doing something here, your team's guild base in the capital can be ... confiscated."

This gave Hardan and the others, serious pause. While they might like to 'play' in some small village, especially where they'd think they could get away with it ... they couldn't escape justice forever.

"You bastard. We just want to have a little fun with the squirming little bitch."

"Yeah well get a sex slave. That might tone down your harsh edges."

"Already got three of 'em, damn princess wouldn't let me bring a one of 'em with."

"Well then you can still wait until returning, right? Just ... hands off the people in the villages."

"You aren't a Hero any more ― at least not for my king, as you say; you don't have that power."

"... still relatively easy to get a message through to certain people-"

Hardan glared back, but only said before leaving, "We'll meet again, I am sure of that, Jocko."

"Likewise, Old Man Hard-on."


Once the troop had vanished from the area, Rose fell against his side, sobbing. He could understand why; but not why Prissy also clung to him. Were they really so afraid, or now relieved, for Jack to have been here?

Well of course in their place, yeah he probably would have been. Assuming either Rose or Prissy would have had the power and mental tactic to challenge the bullies.

Should Jack consider following after the Red Cape Legion, just to see if they would leave the village alone? Eh ... this day already gave him enough excitement; he shouldn't have to do everything for everyone. Maybe he shouldn't have used the hated nickname for that leader ― though in some way it felt good too, to do it. Plus if these thugs were to do anything ... and it got back to him ... well. Jack might just find cause to go take it out on a certain princess or her father.

He smiled; this was an errant thought ― take it out on those royals. But. In lieu of what he'd talked over with the deities ... he should be satisfied for changing places, letting Rose take the dungeon to a new land, in a new place.

It's relatively clear, at least for 'Lucky Leandra' or her luck-based domain, they intended for Jack to help them straighten out the extents of who was lucky or had the power in this world. Jack had already asked, a time or two before ― and no, he couldn't return to his old world, to Earth. Not sure he'd want to, with Rose here as his new wife.

In other words, whatever was going on in this world, he and Rose are fully a part of it. Well, Rose hadn't precisely agreed to help the deities; but Jack felt comfortable in being able to convince her of a change of place ... for other considerations.

12