07: Interlude; other character perspectives.
613 8 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I meant to hold off a while longer but had this chapter ready ... so ... here ya go, a few days earlier than intended. It's not so much going along with David's perspective; but it also has other characters' viewpoints so you can see how the world (and a deity too) may be experiencing the bitter effects of the 'disease'. Enjoy!

PoV: Anyah.

'Why is my god David not back here? Did he not sense how I felt before, and that is why he motioned for me to come to him when I tried to follow?'

I am distracted, and I know it. Worse, all my family knows it.

It's dinner. In the middle of lifting a spoon of something to my mouth, I've unceremoniously dropped it ― third time now ― back onto the plate in mid thought.

This is not going like I thought. Does David not know, fox fur is sure to keep him warm?

... er. Maybe 'that'. The goblin girl got him. Or, that other ― dungeon mistress? How-

Spoonful of rice, this time didn't make it to my mouth, but I dropped it into my own lap by accident. Focus!

Beside me, my older sister Erissa teases me suddenly. "An's got a crush-"

I yip, excited in the troubled moment while also trying to clean up the mouthful of hot rice on my lap. I did want this dress to stay clean, because what if David came here again, so I want to look my best.

"Rissy! Stop."

There's laughter around the tables, five tables total to allow the whole royal family to be fed here in one dining hall. One king but many mothers, many more children ― and so a rotation of who sits where was always in order; except Father always got the one best seat, at the head of the main table.

Today is so fortunate for me to have the privilege of eating at his table; but now ... he's eyeing me intently, even if he did laugh too. Then Father clears his throat and chides my sister.

"Erissa ... even you have someone you like, as well ... or so I have heard."

All of us children know this; where we mature, we will then be directed toward the finding of a mate, one for each of us. Goddess Gabi once told, it is the way of other kingdoms, in other worlds too, for the king or head of most royal families to select the mates of his or her heirs ― at least for the first few possible in line for inheriting the throne. It's not a new thought that young heirs of a king or queen or consort would find someone they like, on their own, and want to be matched to; so again, all of us children know this, as a fact.

Erissa is humbled, and ducks her elfish face in somber thought.

"... yes, Father."

"So ... why embarrass your sister?"

"Because when or why did she get the right to latch onto our new god?"

Erissa is ... scary. A little defiant in these words, even to Father. Unlike me as a daughter of a consort, Erissa is a 'true princess' ― by the law of these lands, a child of one of the king's three main wives. Nowhere in the first three in line of inheritance, she's still the fifth in line by our precedent. But yet even if Rissy loves all of her siblings, from a consort or not ― she's never quite held back from teasing me, just a little more than others. To the point I wonder whether she has some other reason in mind for why she's attacking me, or my interest.

"Erissa-" her own mother the second queen interjected.

But Father again inserted a word. "Kaia, my elven beauty. Maybe our daughter should be taken for a ride in the country soon, and you can have that other talk with her."

Hmm? Something is left unsaid, in behalf of Rissy? Oho, this, I'd like to see-

-but for now I'll be content to just ... eat. And daydream. Not necessarily about me and David in my bed any more!


PoV: Timi's father, with family.

"B, Blayk, please. Our new god asked you, please, pray-"

"Like hell I will! Cuz that was fine port what got spilt! Ain't no man want to lose that good stuff! It's a curse worse 'n death, to have such fine drink an' lose it ― an' he ain't my god!"

"Daddy he said, he's not gonna curse ya. But he did say, what's gonna happen to you is yer own doing."

"Why you little shit-"

I raise my hand back, intent on a good solid backhand slap to the boy set to knock him across the floor. But, at the last second, stop-

Something's not right, he's looking defiant, standing in place. Not even cringing like he always has. Maybe even holding his chin up.

"Our new god David is right, Daddy. Don't you see, what the drink is doing?"

In a way Timi is right but I'm mad so who cares. Even Treina my beloved daughter is also fearful, holding back a trembling lip and looking between us. Maybe hoping I'm not going to do this.

"It's my drink! Who're you to say-"

Karron my wife interrupted, stepping forward somehow bolder from Timi standing up to me. Dammit, how's a man to rule over a family if this crap starts happenin'. Time to lay out the heavy handed treatment.

"Blayk. Please. You weren't always this way, not when we first courted-"

... she, she's right. But. Don't make me less angry over spilt port.

When did I start drinking, this heavy? Idunno. Hmm, maybe ... then. "When Pa died-"

"... honey. I know it was a hard time, and I wished you didn't pull away and put yourself into the drink; if you would have relied on me to help you, instead of that other woman-"

Anger flare- THWAP!

I hit her. Not the first time I hit my wife; but the first time in front of either child. Oh I'll hit Timi at any time he angers me; but only the wife in private, away from the children. Timi is shocked I did it; so is Treina but now she's starting to sob, it's tugging at my heart maybe; but somehow Karron is still standing, so I do it again-

THWACK-

"Don't ever say that again!"

And then, storm out of the house, heart still pounding hard. Gotta get away, this is so maddening.

Down the street, to a side alley.

I look at these hands. Still red, with the impact of the moment, or ... red from the force of this heavy heartbeat? I ... don't feel so strong, in fact, somebody ... help.

Hard heartbeat ... is my heart not beating right, somehow? Is this, like happened for Pa ... the end, for me?

"He ... lp," came out in a strangely weak voice. That ain't me, my voice is meant to be strong!

I crumple, into a heap in the alley, and nobody's coming to help me-

... help. Gabi, lovely Gabi my love, help-


PoV: Elison.

I dodged the orc swinging the wooden club, then slashed with my own short sword against it ― only to knock it aside with the blade's side not cutting edge.

"Lie!" the orc challenged. "Gabi not gone! She not go away!"

"Oik, I heard it from someone believable, so I have to take it as true."

"Lie! She not leave me!"

Again, the orc warrior stepped up his attack.

"Oik, we can't ... we cannot have her here, between us. Cannot do those things with her, any more. We cannot even talk to her, because she's just ... she left. Same as if she died; but she's alive but not coming back."

How much longer is this thickheaded fool going to keep doing this?

Oh, he doesn't truly want to harm me; after all the years we've been friends ... part of a threesome, in the recent year though ― but it's his concerns he's frustrated over too, same as I was, since this David told me those things.

"No reason for Gabi to leave!"

More dodging, for a few seconds longer, until even I see, it's just that Oik does not wish to believe it.

"There is someone here in her place, though. A man. A human male, as her stand-in god. He told me the reason ― and if you quit taking a swing at me, I can tell you why."

He glared at me, frustrated but maybe halfway already to considering, listening to the words I have to say.

To be honest, if David and the goblin girl hadn't come at the worst time ― me getting ready for another tryst with Gabi and this guy Oik ― I would have figured he's pulling some joke on me. But. It had been a few days since ... the last time.

I could not now ignore the feeling of 'something is wrong' whenever seeing Gabi. Like, I know a god or goddess must have their secrets; but this was a feeling of more, something critical she held back. Eh ― and why the frik should she tell a mere mortal like me!? Not like I meant anything special, not even Oik was special, if the rumors Gabi did these things everywhere were being said-

I drop my own sword in surrender to discussion now, even if I am winning. It's not a fight I have a need to win; more so not one Oik could win either. This, is honest talk.

"Listen. This is what happened, what I have been told. No lies, only truth."

And I told him. Once more, with the details I had left out originally.

Odd, an orc warrior can cry? Oh hell even I did, after David left. So many things left unasked, unsaid, untouchable. Turns out, we both 'loved' Gabi ... though if the truth is she had no more DP ... our love did not equate to the worship she needed, she required. Not one bit, especially at the end.

We'd ... used Gabi. Used her for our intimate needs, our perversions, our selfish desires ― all of us. The whole world here ― all of us did this to our goddess.

Humbling thought. I'm glad I have it ... at least once before I die. Because now, maybe it gives me a reason to live. While I can.


PoV: Gabi.

Sitting here, exposed.

Exposed from no clothing or covering. Exposed from the absolute truths and realities of what I'd fallen into or become.

I gave that proxy deity ― what's his name, Davie or something ― my last scrap of clothing. All I had left ― the dirty loincloth ― after selling the other clothes first. Because he dared plea ... for me to not leave him there, naked!

I didn't want him to see me so exposed, so shamed, so vulnerable. Because in the moment, I could see him but he could not see me ― the last effect I used before talking to him and then departing ― I would have run to him, cried again at all the dangerous and dark things in my head, would have told all of the things worrying me-

And so in the moment, my heart already breaking even while I'd said all those words, tried to act nonchalant and dismissive ― and tried not to act sick, even knowing he'd find out someday ― I took off even the last piece, tossed it to him, then left. Before I would have let myself run to his arms. Damn Luria, damn her 'ninety four percent chance' of him embracing me in return!

And now for some odd reason, I'm feeling the DP for my former world is already better than it has been in a half decade. This fact hurts; it means, Luria was right in selecting the one she did. And, proof I am in no shape to run a world!

Because of Luria, I realized, finally. It's her fault! When she finally computed the one who could be 'most likely to succeed', fixing things ... Luria even said he would be an 'equitable lifetime companion' for me, too! I would have loved to hold onto him, if only for once to have someone I could talk to about these things, and leave out all the degenerate acts I'd sunk into performing with others. Or, even to explain that, once I had assurance of his trust. But my greater worry was, I'd still somehow drag him down into doing those degenerate actions with me, and then making him sick too ... and then where would my world be! No, better that I give up on the world, give up and let someone better than me to work with it.

But I do remember lovingly starting out in this world and having such great hopes. It was fun building up from a blank slate world, fun!

I ... I loved my world. I loved my people too. But I hated myself. And how can a goddess continue to love her world and people if she starts hating herself more than she loves them? HOW?!?!?!

Wuaaahh.

I can't stop the tears, the crying, the pain.

"What have I done!" I screamed out over the terminal cliffs, the one place a deity could go to end their misery.

This crying time is something I've repeated a hun- no, a thousand times, at least, while in my space. Davie's space, now. And I'm hoping it's the last. Even so, even if I know I could still go back there, still ask ― no, beg ― no, plead for forgiveness from every living thing I'd ever screwed over ... I can't. I'm done, I give up, correction gave up.

'But I do wanna go back!'

Even crying, I sense the wolfish form of my once upon a time mate, glaring at me from behind. Gloating, in my moment of misery and despair.

"Well, look what we have here, must be my lucky day. Gabianna Rainforest, formerly of one Verdant Glen elven tribe. I thought I'd catch word of you about to give up, sometime ― took ya long enough, you piece of trash elf-turned-goddess. Not so high and mighty and righteous and fucking pure now, are ya? Are ya!"

"... g, go away, Dhareff. Please, just go-"

"Like hell I will!"

He kicked from behind without warning, hard ― his leg sweeping across the side of my head ― so I'm not able to dodge it, or maybe not wanting to. Now I'm reeling, rolling to the right; but unfortunately he didn't force me over the cliff ― yet. Because, I can't yet force myself to make that last leap, or jump, or ... fall off the edge.

I want to end my pain ... finally, permanently ... but can't. I don't have any strength left. I used the last ... just to get here.

"Go away or finish me," I can only whimper as the tears still flowed. "Please, one or the other-"

His wolfish laughter indicated it would not be so easy for me. I'm doomed.

"Nah, ending you would be too easy. You gotta suffer a bit first."

Kicked in the head, again ― closer to the edge now! Maybe if I provoke him more-

"Dhareff you poor excuse for a boyfriend-"

"Shut up!" Dhareff shouted and followed through with another kick. "Idiot ― I know what you're trying, stop it. Maybe just for that, instead I'll make you my slave or something, just to not let you die so easy-"

My heart sank at those words, even more.


PoV: unnamed undead skeleton, former female champion of rebel summoner Yehudit.

Something hurts-

I am not able to think so easy. I am walking through this dry desert, no problem for me to walk it, I am a skeleton now after all; but in my former life I would have hated this.

Can no longer sense presence of the goddess my former master instructed me to find. Why find? Maybe he wanted to use her body too, or maybe he wanted to fight her. Maybe he wanted to take her place; he did not tell me a reason.

Still. Master is gone but I still have to perform his task. Still.

Something new. No goddess, but sense maybe the presence of something stronger than her, in this world. A few times, only a small amount of time, each instance.

Will I find this new presence before ever finding the goddess? I don't know, former master's commands did not include this option; but to succeed at finding the goddess I think I have to find the new one first.

Is this decided by me ... yes. Must find ... new one. Then, find the goddess, and complete the mission. The last command is final, for me and for the goddess, but must be done, via former master's orders.

Is okay? ... former master not answering now. But think yes, this decision is okay. ― Have been making a lot of my own choices, in recent years. Somehow also remembering times when I lived. But that is not what is of concern so much.

Heard rumors. Living beings getting sick now. Last village I passed through ― easy enough to walk through a village at night when it has no guards ― and hear through wall of the tavern, talk of people getting sick and dying. Rumor was goddess came there before, but not there now. Am wearing cloak and worn clothes over bones so nobody screams skeleton; but still one guy tumbles out of bar and coughs my way. No sense of goddess there; so I move along in the night, to the next place to look.

I think. Goddess might not be able to handle it all, she is lacking something is what former master shouted a lot. Or no, he said she does not have 'the balls'. Whatever this means.

Because. I remember. In past life, I gave goddess more than just worship, but also ... honor and respect, to goddess. Almost remember something, as if goddess and I were close? Is maybe why former master sends me after the goddess, or no?

Seems like I want to hold goddess, or let her hold me, or we hold each other; but no, former master's glare reminds me, I am not to have this end. Former master also order, I not worship the goddess, ever again. Who then?

Is my mission good for goddess? or bad? or funny? or sad? or nothing? Don't know. Only know, I must complete it ... but know too, it means my end.

... but ... that is not right ... former master said too, I can return to life some day. How, if this mission is the end of me?

This is why. Inside of me. Something hurts. Bad feelings are rising. But, something hurts-


PoV: unnamed human adventurer.

"Aah, back at the ol' home town again."

I am talking to myself. Which means, the healer in the last town was right, I am in need of someone to talk over my head condition. I don't understand ... it's not something she could just hand me an antidote or call an alchemist to whip up some potion?

No, she said, it's more something about my thinking. Need to talk it out, and maybe then the head condition will be better. Well if she doesn't do that kind of work, then who the hell is she to diagnose such a status?

Turn in at the stables, hand over my ride and a coin for the stable boy to care for and feed her. Next stop, some grub and a mug of something strong.

A plate of food, that was cheap but didn't taste so great; the mug of ale, also cheap but by that time I'm ready for the next step.

A room, any room, preferably cheap ― and the barmaid or wench on my arms, she can wear me out the rest of the way, until I'm asleep or she is. Or dead. Oh but what a way to go-

Still don't know what a head condition is. I'm more worried about the girl riding me like I'm her mount ― I'm thrusting up, and she's bouncing around sitting straight upward. She's probably got the better end of the deal, riding me like that, but ― hey bitch, you just cough all over me?! Well whatever, just keep at it, I need my nooky nooky to get to sleep, and plus I want you to earn that damn half silver I paid for you!

And finally, the wench is done, she's earned her fee, but she's also coughed a lot in this time. Still kisses and sucks me just fine but, I find I had to wipe my face when it's all over. Damn, forgot I didn't pay the extra bit for a wash bucket and cloth ... guess I can wait till morning, and for now just wipe my face off on this shabby blanket.

Finally, let me try to sleep. Or, I could ... if so many in the nearby rooms weren't also coughing. Like what the hell, people; stop your coughing so much. I don't care how. Can't a guy get a good night's rest for once?

They can bang back on the walls to my yelling all they want; I won't stop shouting for them to stop!

People were just starting to cough in the last town too, just as I passed the mail carrier heading out from there and coming here already. How can a cough travel ― is it some kind of sickness? Well whatever, at least I can't catch it; I'm as healthy as a horse, mama always said so. And then so did my wife and my two girlfriends (may they never meet or my balls are fried).

Well so, I guess it's gonna be a long night; maybe tomorrow if all is better, I can go find Blayk and we can hang out and talk about all our females and stuff. Yeah, like the old times, the old days. Reminisce.

*cough*

Oh no-

12