Episode 54
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are we there yet?” Fletcher breaks the radio silence the captain commanded.

“We’re thirty klicks past the last marker. The furthest we’ve ever gone.” Addy’s voice is above a whisper.

“Yeah, that’s why I ask. You sure you're using that thing right?” He turns to Cole.

Cole’s kept his face on the tracker’s monitor since we passed through the gate. But he’s been too quiet. 

“Cut the chatter Elites.” Kane’s gruff bark brings us back to silence.

“Halt.” The captain whirls around to face Cole. “Report, warrior.” 

“Captain, no spikes in frequency for the last forty klicks.” He waivers at the end and adjusts the tracker's knobs.

“Nothing, for the past three hours?” She’s not really asking. Her eyes bore into the top of his head.

“The tracker shows we’re heading in the right direction.” Cole offers.

Iva moves to his side, watching him swipe over the touch screen.

“He’s right. It points dead ahead. But it’s the same direction since we left the wall.” Iva surveys the thick trees and foliage surrounding the small clearing we’re in.

“So, the Rex has been standing still . . . for the last three hours?” Fletcher chuckles.

“Addy, Oren.”  The captain jerks her head to the side for us to fall out and scout the area. “Luce, Iva, secure this clearing.”

Addy takes off in the direction the tracker points. I branch off to the right, where a slight ripple in the air brushes over my skin. I'm deep in the brush. A perfect time to switch out the new goggles for my own pair. I scan the area but already know what I’ll find. We’re surrounded by demons. 

They’ve been trailing us since we left the wall. They stayed miles away for the first several hours. But they have been moving with us, and are closing in. What I don’t understand is why they haven’t attacked. And more concerning, is why Cole is leading us astray. It doesn't make sense. The back up team isn't following and the general wouldn't place his only son on a suicide mission. 

“Captain, we’re surrounded. Multi class.” Addy reports.

“Oren?” The captain asks.

“Confirmed. Holding a mile out in every direction.” I say.

“Fallback.”

“I don’t understand.” Cole croaks out.

“Neither do I, warrior.” The captain’s sharp response snaps out as I race back to the clearing.

Iva pulls the tracker out of Cole’s hands and starts entering commands. Kane helps Luce set up traps in a circular perimeter around the clearing. Luce has her arm cannon out and close by. Fletcher glides silently up a tree to cover our rear. I stand underneath Fletcher. My hearing on the demons surrounding us. 

“Elite one to base. Come in.” The captain’s call is met with dead air.

“Repeat, Elite one to base. Come in, general.” With a quick glance to Kane, she steps closer to Cole.

“Start talking.” Her eyes blaze behind her glowing goggles. Kane walks up to stand next to the captain. His scary glower aimed at Cole as Iva slides to her other side.

“Captain?” He swallows hard.

“You and your . . . the general are only here because your new tech was vital to this mission. And now we discover it doesn’t even work. And we’re cut off from base.”

“I . . . I don’t know why it’s not working. It’s designed to withstand the oppressive atmosphere of the Mist. We tested it countless times.” He stammers.

“The atmosphere is different, deep in the Mist.” Kane says.

“I don’t think we're supposed to be this far. Something should’ve registered already.” Cole says.

“There’s nothing wrong with the equipment.” Iva hands the tracker back to Cole. “It’s cut off. Not receiving or sending any signals, at least not since the initial beacon.”

“Let’s assume that goes for our video and comm feed.” Kane says. "We're on our own."

“Captain, a flock heading this way.” Fletcher calls from above, his compound bow glows white through the branches.

“Maybe that’s what the other demons are waiting for.” Luce pumps her cannon.

“You said multiple species.” Cole says to Addy. “That can't be right. They don’t work together.” A piercing squeal cuts him off.

“In position warriors.” Kane calls forth his long scythe. He turns to protect the center right of our clearing.

“Ready up.” The captain sprints soundlessly to take position opposite of Kane.

A bright white light flashes from the small of her back. She draws forth her warrior weapon and it crackles with energy. With a whip out to her side it solidifies into a sword. 

The hum of weapons manifesting fills the air. I cross my hands to my forearms and pull on the hilt of my blades. The ring of steel against steel is like a dinner bell to my powers. Energy rushes out to fill my muscles and senses. The release is intoxicating after all this time. Sulfur burns my nose and ripples in the air from teleporting demons wash over me.

“They’re moving in.” I call out without visual confirmation. 

“Fletcher?” The captain wants a visual, her eyes never leave mine.

“They are.” Cole sighs. “He’s never wrong.”

“Incoming.” Fletcher responds seconds later.

The captain clenches her jaw, narrowing her stare. And just like that, I’m back in the tunnel arguing with Nugget. Wanting to point out that her focus should be on the incoming threat, not me.

“Backs to the center.” She turns around to face the trees. “Stay behind the traps. Luce with Cole. True strike Elites.”

The captain’s heartbeat is steady and true as ever. I lock on, let it sink deep hoping the weird soothing effect kicks in. My abilities are desperate to surge out in front of everyone. I’m doing my damnedest to hold my position. But the incoming horde is thunder, snapping trees to get to us. And waves of sulfuric stench make my muscles twitch for action. The glow of my eyes pulse bright, then dim, in time with my heart.

 “Fletcher, now.” The captain orders.

He rains trap arrows into the trees around us. The metallic nets unfurl to reinforce the perimeter. They won’t hold, but will slow the horde's front line a bit. The first of the demons barrel into view.  A mixed horde of Grunt and Blaze demons form the front line encircling us. Their heavy steps, clacking carapaces, and grunts drown everything out. The heat from the Blaze demons hits like a wave across the clearing.

“Shit.” Fletcher breathes out. Three Flyers in V formation swoop towards him, having tracked his arrows.

“Got it.” Luce sends two blasts from her arm cannon over Fletcher’s position.

The two Flyers in front spiral to the ground encased in metallic nets. Fletcher dispatches the leader. 

“They are working together.” Cole’s disbelief sounds genuine and I'm distracted by why that is. 

The horde rush Fletcher’s nets, sizzling and shrieking with the contact. But they're quick to push through. The perimeter lights up as the Grunt and Blaze demons break through the nets and meet the barrier. The trap’s green glowing barrier keeps them back and subdues their abilities. But only the ones in direct contact with the barrier. The demons are at least four rows deep. We get a reprieve from the heat wave with the power dampening technology. I run my sleeve over my brow and fling the hair over my goggles back. 

“Let’s work Elites.” Kane spins his scythe in front of him.

The perimeter is holding. But it’s only a matter of time before the technology gives out under their numbers.

“Integrity at thirty percent.” Iva calls out.

I take one last glance at the squad, their glowing warrior weapons gripped tight. Determination and confidence in their hard stance. Weeks of training together showed me they’re highly skilled, fierce warriors. They work magic as a team, but under these odds, I don't know if they can overcome. 

“Attack!”  The captain commands. And like a bullet, I shoot through the barrier toward the demons weakened in its grasp.

Deep in the mist, far from the wall, no back up, no communication, and under attack. So exciting!
And what do you think about Cole leading the team so far out - was it on purpose, tech issues, or part of his evil plan? 

I can't wait for the next update and if you're ready for it too check out my Patreon where you can binge the rest of the story now. 

Thanks for reading!

0