6. Second Young Master Is Back
6.1k 11 167
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Finally, I'm off the mountain."

Lin Fei wore the Nine Profound Sect disciple's attire, rode a swift horse, and carried a thick-backed great saber on his back. He looked like a typical martial artist.

The swift horse was rented from the Nine Profound Sect, and Lin Fei needed to return it once he was back.

Wearing the Nine Profound Sect disciple's attire also had its advantages. Within a few hundred miles around, the Nine Profound Sect was the undisputed dominant force. Neither the underworld nor the legitimate world would dare to provoke the Nine Profound Sect easily. Thus, dressed this way, Lin Fei could avoid many troubles.

Following the route from his memory, Lin Fei traveled along the official roads. Even if it meant taking more time, he preferred the main roads over shortcuts. The world was not too peaceful these days, and taking shortcuts could lead to encounters with bandits.

As it was Lin Fei's first time leaving the mountain, it was better to be cautious. During the day, he traveled on the official roads, and at night, he rested in inns located in large towns. Consequently, with such a cautious approach, nothing unexpected happened along the way.

Lin Fei quickly returned to Zhou Mountain Mansion City, where the Lin family resided as wealthy merchants. Soon, Lin Fei rushed straight to the Lin Mansion.

"Finally, I'm back."

Lin Fei looked at the Lin Mansion before him and finally breathed a sigh of relief. These days on the road, he had been anxious all along. Only upon returning home could he genuinely relax.

"You... Are you the Second Young Master?"

A servant of the Lin Mansion carefully examined Lin Fei and finally recognized him.

"Lin Shi Yi, what, you don't recognize this young master?"

Lin Fei said with a smile. This servant was a family servant who had grown up with Lin Fei. Of course, Lin Fei recognized him.

"Ah? It really is the Second Young Master! You... You're back?"

Lin Shi Yi was overjoyed. The servants of the Lin family immediately ran into the mansion, shouting loudly, "Master, Madam, Eldest Young Master, the Second Young Master has returned!"

"What? Lin Fei is back?"

"Is it Fei?"

In no time, Lin Fei's parents came rushing in after hearing the news.

Lin Fei arrived in the living room and saw his parents. His father looked somewhat plump and white, while his mother was dressed like a noblewoman.

Lin Fei knelt before his parents and respectfully saluted them, "Your unfilial son has returned to see you, father and mother."

Lin Fei's mother was teary-eyed, "It's been three years. Good, good, it's great that you're back."

However, Lin Fei's father seemed worried despite his happiness.

"Fei, you're finally back."

At that moment, a refined-looking young man entered the room, accompanied by a beautiful young woman.

"Big brother!" Lin Fei respectfully greeted him.

This refined young man was Lin Fei's older brother, Lin Wen, who was a few years older than him. Lin Wen helped their father manage the family business in the Lin Mansion.

"Who is this...?" Lin Fei couldn't help but ask about the young woman besides his brother.

"This is your sister-in-law."

"Nice to meet you, sister-in-law."

Lin Fei understood that she was his brother's wife.

"Big brother, when did you get married? Why didn't you send me a letter?"

Lin Fei was surprised, as his brother wasn't much older than him, yet he was already married.

Lin Fei's father cleared his throat, "Fei, you were cultivating diligently at the Nine Profound Sect, and we didn't want to disturb you. That's why we didn't tell you about your brother's wedding. Your brother got married just half a year ago. Your sister-in-law is the legitimate daughter of the Lu family."

Lin Fei nodded. Mr. Lu was a talented scholar who, after failing the imperial exams, turned to business. He was quite wealthy in Zhou Mountain Mansion City.

"Fei, I have a question for you. According to the rules of the Nine Profound Sect, if one does not meet the sect's requirements within three years, they will be expelled from the mountain. Now you have come down the mountain, is it because..."

As Lin Fei's father's voice trailed off, the atmosphere in the entire hall tightened.

This was a big deal!

The Nine Profound Sect was an undisputed powerhouse. In this world, where martial arts were revered, even the Prefecture Lord had to show respect to the Nine Profound Sect. Many matters in Zhou Mountain Mansion City even required the help of the Nine Profound Sect.

Staying in the Nine Profound Sect was of utmost importance to a wealthy merchant like the Lin family.

They had sent Lin Fei to the Nine Profound Sect with high hopes. If he were expelled from the sect, it would not bode well for the Lin family. Even his brother's smile seemed forced.

Only then did Lin Fei notice that in just three years, his brother seemed to have aged considerably. His eyes revealed a hint of fatigue.

"Father, big brother, has something happened to our family?" Instead of answering immediately, Lin Fei asked.

"Nothing major," his brother replied with a smile.

However, Lin Fei's father waved his hand and sat down in his chair with a sigh. He slowly said, "Wen, Fei is your younger brother. It's good that he has come down the mountain this time; he can help you with the family business. Fei, over these three years, my health and energy have declined significantly. As a result, I've gradually handed over the family business to your brother."

Lin Fei remained noncommittal, understanding his father's intention. This was a clear confirmation of his brother Lin Wen's position as the heir to the Lin Mansion.

167