Jumbled Situation
551 2 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(A/N: Ho shit, I almost forgot. I was watching War Dogs and it just crossed my mind.)

Aston, did not feel guilt or much in the way of regret over his actions.

In the first place, he didn't even consider servants to be living and the fact that as a servant, he'd eventually end up having to face his former comrades in battle was something he'd already made peace with.

If anything, he considered it to be a release from the torment of having to fight as a pawn even after death but if they hated him for it, well, Aston didn't have much to say regarding that.

Here however, where they should have attempted to reason with their king, they chose to fight her. Subsequently, he put them down, not something he was unused to doing.

It didn't however, feel all that good to be reminded of their demise and passing.

The Knight of Atrocity let out a small sigh, brushing aside a few strands of pale hair, he stared at Lancelot in unconcealed contempt, "You though, fuck you." He would enjoy beating the traitorous cunt even if the actual him was long dead.

It was a surprise for the other remaining knights to see the calm and collected Aston use such language when he prided himself on grace and dignity.

Agravain reached for his sword, the blistering heat was something he barely registered, and stared at Lancelot, "Is this necessary?"

They were about to enter a war, losing more of their number could be costly.

But well, he wasn't averse to putting down a traitor.

"Mm," Tristan interjected, holding up a hand, "Do you believe it wise to lose the strength he possesses?"

Aston deadpanned, "You're one to talk."

"...?" The red-haired knight tilted his head in confusion, "Regardless, it is true that our King has granted a second chance to all those that abandoned their conviction in life, why not follow the example?"

Aston grit his teeth, strengthening his grip, "Are you serious?"

"Were you not brothers once?" Tristan sighed, gently tugging one of Failnaught's strings to produce a melancholic note.

Ashamed, Lancelot didn't raise his gaze to meet Aston's, "I have done wrong." He'd betrayed the King, committed infidelity, killed his friend's treasured disciple, killed many others in his mad rage, "I accept that."

Aston scoffed, entirely unimpressed, "Great, I suppose that sees all your wrong undone. Let us ride into the sunset, happy ever more... Cunt." He drew his blade as well, ready to charge.

"Which is why I must have this second chance." Lancelot drew Arondight, King Arthur had given him a chance to redeem himself, "To right at least some wrongs, repent."

For that, he was ready to face his brother in all but blood once again, as he had so long ago to protect an innocent Queen Guinevere.

The Knights of the Round Table, those that chose to follow King Arthur, tensed up, some among them remembering the scale of destruction a battle between the two had brought oh so long ago.

Gawain however, interrupted, collected but serious enough to warrant that the two bickering stop to acknowledge his presence, "Sir Aston, you need not give him a second chance." He had stopped Lancelot from joining their King at the Battle of Camlann and it was a decision that brought him much anguish, "But, hold your judgement until we see our King's will done. Surely, you understand how much he could help."

Gawain wondered, if he hadn't stopped the traitor, would things have turned out differently?

Would they have won?

"If Sir Lancelot poses a threat, I will accept a fitting punishment." The Knight of the Sun made an honest request, knowing full well just how wrong everything could go.

Aston only scowled, realising that his actions were disgraceful, entirely unfitting his nature, "He killed your siblings." Calmly, he withdrew his weapons and turned about, walking over to the jagged cliff edge and peered off into the distance, seemingly placated.

Gareth seemed to deflate, blaming herself for driving such a wedge in their ranks, "I forgive Lord Lancelot." She spoke in a hushed, barely audible, whisper and treaded to her teacher, aware that even if no human could have heard her words, all her fellow knights of the Round Table had.

It was her greatest honour to join them and she didn't want to see them driven apart any more than they already were.

Knowing her, she genuinely didn't blame or hold Lancelot's actions against him and almost every single one of them understood that.

Mordred clenched her fists and stood in silence, her expression masked by her horned helmet.

Why did Gareth receive such preferential treatment?

-

"Is this all?"

Contrary to her words, the King's words held no judgement or contempt as her golden eyes passed each and every one of the seven knights lined up in front of her. Their numbers had halved since the last time she saw them but she did not feel disappointed, as if she'd expected it already.

Their kneeling in show of submission also seemed inconsequential.

"I apologise if we've disappointed you, my King." Agravain looked up, pale hand still over his dark chestplate, "Some among us disagreed with your vision." Looking at her now, he felt it was somewhat stupid of him to continue believing her a man for so long.

It didn't mean he hated the fact any less though.

He hated women.

The King, no, Lion King responded by putting a horned, ornate helmet decorated with white fur in a manner reminiscent of a lion's mane as her massive white stallion neighed, declaring her divine right to the world.

King Arthur had taken up the mantle of the Lion King, for a reason he didn't deign to disclose to his loyal retainers, "We march against the false conquerors on the morrow." She ordered solemnly, leaving no room for questions or doubt.

Of course while the rest were more than happy to not question any of her decisions, Aston wasn't.

"My King, I would like knowledge regarding our foes, how has it come to this?" He asked calmly, rising to his full height, armour clanking against the hard ground.

"..." The Lion King halted for a moment before speaking, "Two people wage war in this land. The Saracen invaders came upon the Holy Grail and summoned a servant, pushing back the Crusading invaders after the death of their commander." She halted again, letting her words sink in.

"This servant has confiscated the Grail and another appeared, King Richard, bringing with him another force that pushed back the Saracens. Their conflict has seen the Holy City they fought over destroyed and the land torn."

Evidently, this conflict was a jumbled up mess but for now, the Knights of the Round Table remained silent, listening to the concise, direct words of their King that perfectly conveyed her lack of human emotion.

"The servant summoned before has begun gathering his own forces, erecting a Kingdom of his own."

"And what is it that we are to do about them, my King?" Lancelot asked pensively, raising his head to gaze at her form.

The reply was short, almost cruel and utterly devoid of empathy.

"Remove them."

Mordred jerked, a grin crossing her face, this was her chance to prove herself deserving, a chance to regain her teacher's recognition and earn her father's!

Normally, one would think it impossible for only 8 individuals to believe themselves capable of taking down armies and kingdoms but once ordered, the Knights of the Round Table were ready to see it through.

That was the extent of their loyalty and admiration.

Ever cold and pragmatic, Agravain considered the necessity of massive numbers.

It was wise to remove all chances of problem and resistance before moving on to their actual goals but realistically, they needed an army of their own to accomplish complete takeover and consolidation.

"I bequeath unto all among you, gifts, to aid you in seeing my will done."

The Lion King raised her hand, addressing her retainers with all the dignity and grace of a King and then some.

Aston shook his head, denying her, "I must refuse that gift, I wish to employ my own prowess."

"I, as well." Agravain spoke out too, slightly surprising Aston who grinned cheekily at his words.

"It appears finally Agravain wishes to follow in my example."

"I merely share interests."

Unsurprised, the king merely nodded in acceptance and granted them to those that would have them.

The Knight of Atrocity ran his gaze over the slowly darkening landscape and sighed, "We need an army."

"Indeed." Agravain nodded, accepting his conclusion because he had the same one.

It was impossible to achieve their goals otherwise.

-

You can find up to 7 chapters ahead at patre0n.com/bleap

34