Chapter 3 – In the Beginning
191 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Stephanie opened the door to her apartment, still trying to figure out what exactly happened today, to find Andrew approaching, and wrapping her in a warm hug.

 

“I take it you had a strange visitor too?”  Andrew said.

 

Steph snorted through her nose.  “You might say that.  What the hell is going on?  I can’t remember half of what happened this afternoon.”  She shook the rain off her hat and coat, and hung them up, then removed her boots and came inside.  “I was met by a goddess named Sif, who said I was adopted - and then she gave me a cookie and said I had a quest.  That’s all I remember.”

 

“Oh sure, YOU get a cookie.”  Andrew joked, releasing her from the hug.  “My mom ate some fries and told me how much of a screw up I was.  The problem was that she was right.”

 

“That’s not fair!”  Steph said.  “You’ve been through a lot.”   It was more a knee-jerk reaction than an honest one - secretly Stephanie suspected Andrew might have been able to make his life better - he just didn’t have the right motivation till recently.  Anything Andrew didn’t want to do, he didn’t do - he could be incredibly stubborn that way.

 

“Maybe, but that doesn’t mean I should have let the situation win.  Let’s face it - I gave up a long time ago, and it wasn’t until I started hanging out with you that things got better.  I need to change what I’m doing.”  Andrew gave Stephanie a smile.  “Why don’t we sit and you can tell me what your new mom said?”

 

“Maybe, if I can remember it.  First I need a drink though.”   Steph walked to the fridge, and grabbed the one emergency vodka cooler she had in the kitchen.  Neither she nor Andrew usually drank alcohol except on holidays or special occasions, so one emergency cooler was usually more than enough to handle problems.  She popped the top, and returned to the living room to talk, taking a long swig and trying to remember.

 

It was blurry at first - the memory was hard to pin down.  I was so dazzled and confused by the mind control and that... that wonderful amazing cookie, that I can barely remember my name.  My name is Stephanie, right?  She laughed a bit to herself.   It slowly started to come a bit clearer.   “I was having a chat with mom - Sif I guess - at the Silver Bean, and she gave me a magical cookie that kinda blew my mind.   She said I was her adopted daughter - which I’m not sure I understand.  I mean I have mortal parents but she kinda was claiming she was my divine parent.  Is that a thing?  Does that happen to other people too?”

 

Andrew chuckled.  “I think it’s only a thing for people who are lucky or special, or both.  I think we might be in that category.  My mom said she needs me to be a hero - in addition to getting off my ass - and kill some giant wolf in Germany.  Did your mom give you a quest?”

 

“Actually yeah... I have to find a cave in Norway, go inside and kill a monster too.”  Steph gave a little half-smile, and took a pull of her vodka cooler, which was almost gone.  “I am beginning to detect a trend here.  Both of our parents claim were unworthy - and ask us to prove ourselves in a heroic journey before they give us a great treasure.   If this is like a myth or story - or hell, an rpg, then after that I guess it’s more monster hunting and maybe some cool powers... assuming I’m not crazy.”

 

“Heh heh.  Maybe.  If you’re crazy I think I am too.  What did you tell your mom?”  Andrew asked.

 

“What do you think I told her?”  She said, rather sarcastically.  “I told her yes.  You know we can’t avoid it... The Call knows where you Live after all.”

 

“TV Tropes?  Really?”  Andrew laughed.  “I guess you’re right - and you both know what we promised ourselves if something like this ever really happened.”

 

“That we would jump at the chance, if only to prove to ourselves that there was magic in the world?  True.  I think it was that promise that helped me decide to do it in the end.”  Stephanie said.  “That and I wanted it so bad.  I just didn’t want to do it without you.  She said you were coming too – that’s really why I said yes.  I wouldn’t leave without you.”

 

“Me either baby.”  Andrew said as he held her close, hugging Stephanie with all his strength.  “Me either.”

 

They stayed like that a while, until the closeness grew uncomfortable, and broke apart.   Andrew was the first to speak.   “Did your mom give you anything?  I got a package of papers and stuff I haven’t even looked at yet when she left.”

 

Steph thought a moment, and had a hazy memory of Sif dropping a package into her purse before suggesting she head home in that weird mind controlling voice.  Maybe she’s part Bene Gesserit? She thought.  “She gave me something - I haven’t seen it yet either.  Maybe we had better take a look?”

 

“Good idea.” Andrew started looking through his bundle of papers, while Stephanie did the same to her bundle.   Andrew found a passport, a finely made hand-sewn leather pouch with something small inside, and a bundle of American money still with the bank strap on it - all in 100$ denominations.   “Holy crap!”  He exclaimed, telling Stephanie what he got.

 

“I got something similar.  A passport in my name, a bunch of money - I think it’s close to 10,000 dollars - and a weird looking old fashioned key - and a note.  It says this is the Key to All Doors.  It will help you.  Someone will be coming to help explain things soon - be nice to him, kay? - Love mom.”

 

“Huh.  Sounds like our lives just got really interesting all of a sudden.  Umm...  Did you leave work early?”  Andrew asked.

 

“Oh hell!   Mom called me at work, did some mind control on me, and I just upped and walked out.  I’m probably so fired right now it’s not funny.  I’d better check my messages.”  Steph listened to her phone a moment and sighed.  “Yeah, I’m fired.  Crap...”

 

“C’mon – it’s not that bad, right?  I mean you didn’t really LIKE that job did you?”

 

“No - I just hate getting fired instead of quitting.  I had my ‘I’m Outta Here’ dance all practised and everything.”  Stephanie smirked at the idea.  “Can you imagine me doing that on Shelly’s desk and then ending with ‘I Quit,’ and walking out?  Now I’ll never get the chance.”  Stephanie laughed.  “You know, I’m being an idiot.”

 

“Why?”  Andrew looked curious.  “It’s natural to not want to be fired.”

 

“It’s not about the job,” said Stephanie.  “It’s the other stuff.  We have 20,000$ to our names, some fancy items that may be magical, and received a personal visit from two goddesses in the same afternoon.  We’ve been blessed, and I’m grousing how inconvenient it is.  We had personal experience with the divine in a way that most saints never get.  What’s to be upset about?  That’s why I’m an idiot.”

 

“I guess you’re right.  Dinner at the Keg to celebrate, then we make plans?”  Andrew asked.

 

“You’re on - I can be ready in an hour.”

 

*              *              *

 

Andrew and Stephanie got out of the cab, and headed back into their apartment.  They lived on the third floor of a walk-up apartment complex - a small six unit place.  Most of the neighbours were transients - not there for more than six months at a time.   Andrew and Stephanie had been there five years, and had never been late with the rent - and got a good deal on the rent because of it.   The two lovebirds made it upstairs, and into the apartment, and the happy mood from their nice dinner still sat well with them.  Stephanie could still taste the great steak she had eaten, and the Billy miner pie - a mocha-chocolate desert smothered with caramel and chocolate sauce and shaved almonds.  She still thought it was worth going there just for that, and was pretty sure Andrew agreed with her on that.

 

“It’s been a crazy day.”  Said Andrew.  “Hasn’t it?”

 

“Sure has hon. What now?”  Stephanie wondered.  “I’m pretty beat, but I’m curious to see what my key and your pouch does – aren’t you?”

 

“Actually yeah, I am.  I just figured it could wait till we got back.  Lemme see what’s inside the bag.”   He rifled through the small pouch.  “It’s full of seeds - oh and a post it note saying Plant one.   If this thing grows a beanstalk, I’m asking for a new fairy tale.” Andrew laughed. 

 

Andrew took a single seed - there were only 5 oddly shaped seeds in the pouch - and planted it in a small pot that already accompanied a marigold.   Andrew grimaced.  Maybe if I get lucky it’ll kill the damn marigold...  He thought. Ever since high school, when he’d been forced to care for the entire plant supply of grade 10 science, he’d hated the smell - what he called the stench - of marigolds.   Steph kept this one cause she liked it - so he felt a teensy bit guilty he hoped it would die.

 

They watched the seed for a few seconds - and no beanstalk.  Andrew sighed, obviously thinking he was being toyed with - but when Steph called ‘Hey look!’ he turned back to the seed and the pot...  A tiny sprout was growing!   In seconds it grew to about six inches in length, widened, and then split like a pea pod or somesuch - and out stepped a tiny creature made of wood and plant material...  He looked male, and had iridescent wings, and a smooth barky exterior.  He wore no clothes beyond a sash, which carried a wooden sword that resembled more a splinter than anything else.  He looked fierce, and ready for action.

 

“Hello master.”  The little creature said.  “I’m Thorn, the captain of your Wood-Sprites sir.   Just ask me for anything sir.”  His voice was high pitched because of his tiny size, but it was easy to see if he had been human sized Thorns voice would have been normal for a human being.   The little creature waited patiently for Andrew to address him, kneeling in a position of respect as one would give a King or Queen.

 

Well, I don’t know what I was expecting, thought Andrew. But I’m pretty sure it wasn’t this.

 

 

3