Chapter 5 – The First Steps
160 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stephanie woke up first, which was odd.  She and Andrew had stayed up late, talking about plans - what they had to do before they could go.  They had even talked about whether they should go - but Stephanie was glad to hear that Andrew felt the same way she did about it.  I’ve hoped and prayed my whole life that magic was real.  That there was something more to this world than its mundane appearance said there was.   Now that I have a chance to see it, I’m NOT letting it pass me by - even if it means our end.   She didn’t like thinking about that...  In fact, it scared her a little - not that she was afraid of dying; she’d gotten over that hang-up a long time ago.  She was afraid she’d die, or Andrew would die - and leave the other all alone.  She didn’t think she could bear that.   Even the thought of it made her eyes start to tear up.  

 

Oh my god, you’re such a girl.  She thought to herself.  Although I suppose that’s the damn point of all this, isn’t it?   Andrew was still sleeping softly beside her, so she quietly crawled from their bed, and crept out of the bedroom into the living room, nearly stepping on Thistle, who was hiding on the floor.

 

“Sorry, Thistle.”  Stephanie whispered.  “I didn’t see you there.  Are you okay?”

 

“Yes, ma’am.  You missed me.”  She said shyly, flying up to eye level.  “Is master Andrew awake?”

 

“Not yet, Thistle – let’s let him sleep a bit.  Do you guys eat or drink?”

 

“Um...  We don’t need to eat as long as we get sunlight, but we like milk and honey.”  Thistle looked wistful - she obviously liked the idea of milk and honey very much.

 

“I think we can arrange that - why don’t you go find the others and well get breakfast going in the kitchen?”  Stephanie said, wrapping herself in a fluffy grey robe and blue slippers.   She headed towards the kitchen, while the wood sprite went to tell her friends chow was on.   These wood-sprites are going to take a little getting used to, she thought. I don’t know how, but they already feel kind of like family.  Weird. 

 

She expected the kitchen to be a little messy - they hadn’t done dishes in a few days - so Stephanie was shocked to find the dishes done, and neatly stacked up on the counter, waiting to be put away.  The dusting had been done - and that annoying cobweb above the stove had been cleaned away. Apparently the sprites were busy last night, she thought.  I’m glad I’m giving them a treat - they deserve it.  

 

She got out two small cereal bowls - one she filled with a bit of milk and honey, hoping it would be enough for the industrious little sprites - and the other she filled with cereal.  She didn’t eat cereal often, considering what milk did to her digestive tract, but sometimes she just couldn’t resist.  Frankenberry hadn’t been on the market in Canada for over 20 years - it was a blast from the past full of nostalgia.  She hoped they hadn’t changed the formula too much from when she was young.

 

By the time she was seated, the other sprites showed up, giving their greetings before waiting to be given the milk and honey.   “Go ahead, guys - dig in.”   Steph said, and the sprites did - rather messily, devouring every last drop of milk and honey.  The term ‘starving piranha’ came to her mind as she watched them.  I think we need to teach them some table manners, she thought.  When breakfast was done, she went to clean up the bowls, and put them in the sink to do later.  “Did you guys do all these dishes last night?”

 

Petal looked pleased she noticed.  “Yes ma’am.  We thought it would be a way we could help out.”

 

“Thanks.  Andrew will probably be awake in a little while.  I was going to go look at an old trunk.  Is there anything you guys need?”

 

“No ma’am, I don’t think so.  Were having fun just exploring.”  Thorn said.

 

“Cool.”  Stephanie shook her head. Yesterday I was a wage slave in a cube farm, and now I’m planning on dropping everything and going on a life threatening journey just to prove the world isn’t the way I thought it was.  I must be crazy.  She headed to the back room, where she and Andrew stored everything they didn’t need for day to day stuff - it was crammed to the ceiling in places.  The trunk took some doing to get out, and by the time she was done, she was dusty and sweaty.  “Stupid trunk - how did it get so many boxes on top of it?  And how can cardboard boxes get so damn dusty anyways?”

 

She lugged her fathers’ trunk out to the living room, and put it down on the floor.  It was one of those older leather travel-trunks people would use to use before modern luggage became popular - it probably had belonged to her fathers’ dad too.  The lock on the trunk was fairly strong - and rusted completely shut.  Stephanie had thought about taking a hacksaw to it in the past, but never got around to it.  Now, maybe she would see what was inside.  Oh, I don’t expect much, she thought to herself.  Maybe some old papers, or a pair of glasses or something silly.  I just like the thought of discovering something new - something that was lost.  I guess that’s why I’m a total sucker for auctions and flea markets - I keep hoping to make that perfect discovery.

 

The Key to All Doors was a large brass key, which was on a sturdy silver chain.   The key itself looked old fashioned, with an elaborate top piece embossed with a glossy stone she couldn’t quite place, carved with a Norse rune.  Pretty, she thought. Let’s see if it’ll open this rusty lock.  She touched the key to the rusty lock, and it popped open without any effort whatsoever.  It was like magic - she could see the heavy rust and pitting on the hasp and locking mechanism.  I shouldn’t have been able to open that, Steph thought. This key is amazing.

 

Pulling the lock off, she opened the case and dug through the contents. Most of it was like she thought - old papers and notes from decades ago, plus a few pens and pencils, a ruler - and an envelope addressed to her - well, her as her previous self Keith, before she decided to transition.   Alternately nervous and anxious, she opened the letter.

 

*              *              *

 

Dear Keith, I don’t suppose you’ll understand why we didn’t tell you any sooner, but I guess it doesn’t matter now.  Your mother Jan and I couldn’t have children together, and we had fallen into a black despair.  Then a man named Luke came to us, with a little baby newborn boy, and asked us to raise him as our own.  We asked if he was in trouble, and he said no - but I think perhaps he may have been lying.  Either way, Luke said he was your father - and that someday he, or someone else would come back for you, and that we needed to keep you safe until then. We waited and waited - and no one came.  Eventually you grew to adulthood, and still no one came.  We thought perhaps he was never coming back.  Enclosed is a picture of Luke we took in 1970 when he left you with us.  I hope you meet him one day - he seems special, like you have been to us.  

 

You didn’t have an easy childhood, son.  That time you broke your leg climbing on the monkey backyard, and you swear you were pushed... I didn’t say anything to your mother, but I saw weird tiny footprints in the dirt, that didn’t look quite right - not quite bird, not quite a person.  I never figured out what they were.  And the time we nearly got T-boned by that truck when I taught you to drive a stick shift - I laughed it off at the time, but I saw a strange man six more times, following you and watching the house.  It didn’t stop till I got a restraining order.  We’ve been worried about you for a long time, son - I think somebody wants to hurt you.  It’s why we kept you so close, so separate from the other kids.  We didn’t want you to get hurt - and we didn’t know if something would happen if we let you out of our sight.  I’m sorry if you had a rough childhood because if it - I just hope in time you’ll understand, and forgive your mother and I in time.  We did what we did for what we thought were the right reasons...  We love you, son.

 

Phillip Walsh, 1988

 

*              *              *

 

Stephanie read, and reread the letter a few times, tears coming to her eyes.  That’s it? She thought.  That’s all he had to say after all that happened?  ‘We did what we did for the right reasons?’  What the fuck is that supposed to mean...  I mean does he think that will make it all go away?  That it’ll make it all get better?  Stephanie felt the tears fall from her eyes, onto the pages of the letter.  She crumpled it into a ball, and threw it into the corner of the room, and kicked the suitcase across the floor.  “Aagh!”  

 

Petal flew up to Steph’s shoulder, and petted her hair.  “Is everything alright, ma’am?”   Thistle and Stump were nearby too, looking worried.

 

“No... Yes...  I don’t know.  I just read an upsetting letter from my dad - or the person I thought was my dad - about 26 years ago.   It’s a bullshit apology for years of hell my adoptive parents put me through, and it made me mad and upset.  Sorry for bothering you guys.”   Steph sniffed a bit - her nose was starting to run, and her eyes were red and puffy.

 

“It’s no bother ma’am,” Stump said in his deep voice.  “If you need anything, let us know.”

 

“I’m fine.  Thank you guys.”  Steph said.

 

“Fine. Sure.”  Andrew said as he came in, part way through the conversation.  “You’d say you were fine even if you were bleeding from three major wounds.  What’s got you so upset?”

 

Stephanie smiled.  “I suppose I would, hon.  Just a stupid letter from my dad apologizing for making my childhood awful.  It made me sad and pissed off.”  She hugged herself, hoping Andrew would get the hint and give her a hug too.  He did, and hugged her too.  She always felt safe when he hugged her.  She liked the physical contact - it made her feel loved.  He might have his faults, she thought, but he’s always been there for me when I needed him to be.  He’s been there more than anyone else in my life.  I don’t know what I’d do without him.   Steph felt tears of a different sort welling up - this time happy tears, and she brushed them away.   “I’ll be okay, Roo.”

 

“Good.”  He said, turning her around and giving her a good morning kiss.  “I see you’ve fed the sprites.”

 

“Yep.  They did the dishes too.”  She pointed to the stack of clean dishes waiting to be put away.

 

“Wow!  Cool!  Thanks guys!”

 

A chorus of “You’re welcomes!” came back from the living room.   Thorn flew up and hovered in front of Andrews face.  “Any orders, master Andrew?”

 

Andrew thought a bit, and said “Nope.  Steph and I have to make arrangements to get going on this adventure.  Is there anything you think we should do, as preparations?”

 

Thorn thought a moment.  “Get a weapon, master.  Something small and easy to hide, but something that can do some damage too.  Now that you’ve started into this world, monsters and worse things will be able to notice you better - so you’ll need a weapon for when they come for you.”

 

“Weapon?  I don’t even know how to fight!  Are we in danger?”  Andrew looked worried.  OTHER monsters were going to hunt them?  What the hell would he do if that happened?  Oh hell!

 

“Not yet, master.  But it would behoove you to make your preparations with due haste - while you are as you are, and not fully blessed and accepted by your mother, you are vulnerable and more at risk than you should be.   As is your girlfriend, Stephanie.   Both of you should get a weapon - and if you can’t fight, well all try to teach you how to fight.   You are creatures of legend now, and other beings of legend will be drawn to you, for good or for ill - and if you are not prepared to deal with them, you will suffer badly.  Take the time you need, but make as much haste as you can, master.  We will stand guard over you, and your beloved.”

 

“Beloved.  I like the sound of that.”  Stephanie said, smiling.  She looked a sight - puffy red eyes, tears on her cheek.   It made Andrew melt a bit inside.

 

“Thorns right, Steph.  We should get going.”  Andrew said.  “I guess I’ll start filling out a will - much good that will do anyone, and then I’ll start packing up some stuff to take with me. What are you gonna do?”

 

“I’ll call the storage place and rent a room, so we can put whatever we’re not taking with us in storage in case we actually come back alive from this crazy adventure.   It might be nice to not have to repurchase a bed, a television, and a bunch of books and movies.  Once that’s done I’ll pack, then fill out my will too.”

 

“Fair enough.  We still doing dinner with your parents for Thanksgiving before we bug out?”  Andrew asked, kind of hoping she’d change her mind and say no.   He wasn’t looking forward to this encounter any more than she was.  Stephanie’s parents had for the better part of 14 years tried to utterly ignore him whenever they visited, although they never kept their opinion of how they disliked him from their son, and then their daughter.   He also wasn’t impressed with how they talked about Stephanie when she wasn’t in the room either - but they didn’t realize he overheard them, and he didn’t bring it up with Stephanie yet.  It’s between her and her parents, I guess.  If she’d just ask me, I’d tell her but she keeps so damn much kept locked up.  Andrew knew Stephanie had problems sharing her feelings - it came from feeling she had no one for over thirty years of her life to talk to, no one she could trust. And some of the stories she told of her youth made his blood boil with anger. Seriously - half of what she considers weird anecdotes, I’d call child abuse.  She’s too damn stubborn for her own good. She needs to trust other people for a change.  

 

Steph sighed, and thought a moment.  She wasn’t keen on going either, for different reasons.   She knew her parents disregarded Andrew - and she knew when she told them they were dating, they were going to freak out and it would be ‘The topic’ for the rest of the damn visit.   I don’t want to go either, dammit.  But I might be dead in a month...  If this is the last time I see them, at least it’ll be a short visit.  Maybe I can say goodbye.  If it goes as well as I expect it to, I’ll probably say a hell of a lot more than goodbye.  I guess we’ll see.  “Yeah.  I’m not sure it’s the right idea - but this could be the last time I ever see them again.  If we don’t make it.”

 

Andrew sighed.  He didn’t really think her decision had changed - but he’d hoped she’d see reason for once and just say no.  Oh well.  

 

*              *              *

 

Two days passed as they packed, and moved items to their new storage room.  Stephanie rented it for 3 months paid in advance, with the rest to be taken by direct withdrawal from her bank account.   The last wills and testaments were put in the storage unit in her safe as well, along with whatever personal effects they didn’t want to part with, but couldn’t carry with them - like a fairly hefty book, movie, computer game and rpg collection.   The storage unit was filled to the brim, along with Andrew’s stuffed animals.  He collected the things like crazy - he always had.  At least six of the cardboard boxes were full of stuffies - his favourites were cats (especially tigers), unicorns, and dragons.  She wasn’t much better with her hobbies - at least six of the boxes were her favorite tabletop rpgs, along with boxes and boxes of old campaign notes.  We are such nerds, she thought as she remembered seeing the full storage unit. We’re made for each other.  

 

Now the apartment looked bare... everywhere you looked, it seemed as if there should be something, but all there was, was empty space.  Pictures no longer hung on the walls, and furniture was obviously absent.   It was like they were moving out - and she realized that that’s effectively what they were doing.   Well never come back to this place, will we?  She asked herself.   This part of our life is over - and something new and scary is taking its place.  I only hope that it’s worth it, or that we can survive long enough to pick up the pieces and come back if it isn’t.

 

Andrew came out of the bedroom, carrying both sets of their luggage.  Steph had a suitcase and a gym bag, and her purse of course, while Andrew had a suitcase, a students’ backpack, and a medium sized pouch he threw over his shoulder.  He usually kept his tablet computer in the pouch - some android 3rd party POS he got for a hundred dollars at a discount store.  “I’ll go put these in the car, hon.’  He said.  “Then I suppose we should give the keys back to Mr. Purdy and head out, right?”

 

“Yeah.  It’s a long way to St. Catherines.  Especially on Thanksgiving.”  Stephanie sighed.  “You know it’s funny.  Our lives changed completely on October 10th, when we met Danu and Sif.  I still don’t know enough about them - but thank god, or I guess its goddess now - for Google.   I mean, there’s no way in hell I was going to take my facts from the D&D handbook.”

 

“Heh...”  Laughed Andrew.  “You sure you should be taking what’s on Wikipedia as fact?”

 

“You know what I mean, and no - but it’s a starting point.  At least your sprites tell you about the Celts.  No one’s showed up to help me - even though mom said help was on the way.”

 

Andrew nodded.  It was true - for the last two days, whenever he wasn’t busy with something, the sprites had been teaching him Celtic customs and history, the legends of his pantheon, and stories of his mother and the other gods she dealt with - her allies and enemies, and more.  His head felt full to bursting with it all - and although he knew Stephanie was listening, and just as interested as he was, she really felt left out and forgotten - again.  “Just give it some time, hon.”

 

“Yeah.”  Steph replied.  “I guess you’re right.   We’d better get going.  Want to stop in Bowmanville for gas?  I know you like the Timmy’s on the corner of the highway.”

 

“You know it hon.  You driving?”

 

“I hope so - last time I checked you didn’t have a drivers license.”  Steph laughed

 

“Details, details.”

 

“Are the sprites all packed up?”  Stephanie asked.  

 

“Yeah - I thought they were going to argue harder, but they came right over and went back into the pouch.  I think they’re happier to see us get going too.   Thorn seemed a bit twitchy...  I think I heard him muttering something about security risk earlier.   They seem really stuck on protecting me - I mean us.”

 

“True - but it’s their job.  They’re like a bunch of very tiny secret service agents.”  Stephanie smiled as she said it, imagining the little sprites trying to toss Andrews bulk into her Hyundai Elantra and cover him with their tiny bodies as if he was a political figure...

 

“Heh.  True.  I think I won’t bring them out in the car just yet though - maybe wait a while till I know they won’t freak out and cause us to drive into a bridge abutment.”

 

Stephanie smiled.  It didn’t seem fair to keep them locked up.  “Maybe at the hotel tonight we could let them out.  How does that sound as an idea?”

 

“Pretty good idea, hon.  Let’s do it.”

 

They took a last look at their apartment - home for the last 10 years - and quietly said their goodbyes.  Andrew grabbed the bags, and Stephanie locked the door.   Neither of them knew if they would ever see it again.   They headed to the car, and drove off, heading to the highway.  It was going to be at least a 3 hour drive.

 

 

2