Chapter 13 – Andrew’s Trial – Greyfang
131 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For Stephanie and Andrew, the next three days were a blur of physical activity during the day - stretches, endurance training, and simple combat techniques - followed by evenings of intense education in the specifics of how a Scion could tell what powers he was gifted with, and how to use them - and how to counter some of them, when they were used against him.  Stephanie and Andrew were physically and mentally exhausted.  By the end of their three days training, it was Sunday, October 17th and both Thorn and Billy decided they had done all that they could in the time that they had.  

 

“Remind me again, why we’re rushing this instead of taking three months to train how to fight?”  Andrew asked.

 

“Because until you’re chosen by your mom, you’re vulnerable to the monsters.”  Thorn chided his master.   “Besides, you’ll learn faster when you have your powers anyway.”

 

“And because Sif doesn’t want us wasting time either – there’s stuff to do and wars to be won, and all that.   Besides, if we were going to teach you any more, it would take weeks, minimum - and if you survive your trials, you’ll probably find that your skills innately grow better without needing to do all this intensive training...  Or is that your way of requesting another fifty push-ups, pal?”

 

“God, no!”  Stephanie and Andrew both replied.  But they also got the point...  They had reached a point where they had to put what they had learned into practice, to know where they needed to improve next, and to know what they were doing wrong.  They had learned quickly - but there were limits to how much they could learn without giving themselves time to get used to what they had already been taught.

 

The three humans and five wood-sprites had relocated back to their hotel room, which over the last three days had soaked up about 1000$ of their combined funds, when you added in food and other necessities.  Andrew had called ahead and tried to make a reservation at a bed and breakfast in Biederbach; the woman on the other end seemed to understand him, but he wasn’t completely sure.  Stephanie had arranged the taxi to Biederbach, and Billy (since he had signed them in) was assigned to pay the hotel bill.   He had also bought some camping gear, including some hunting knives, for his charges.

 

“So when we get there, we’ll take the afternoon to get settled and get the lay of the land.  We need to know what the terrain is like, to get an idea of where the beast lairs.”  Billy said.  “Either of you hunters?   What am I saying - of course not.”

 

“Nope.”  Steph said.  “Sorry to let you down.”

 

“Me either.” Answered Andrew.  “Any of you guys know how to hunt?” he asked the sprites.

 

Rose and Thistle turned up their noses as the idea - the idea of killing an animal didn’t appeal to them.   Petal and Stump shook their heads in the negative, and Thorn drew himself up, trying to look proud.  “I’ve been known to take down a wild rabbit with a spear toss or two.  They’re damn fierce creatures when you’re my size.  I think I can follow a trail, if I had to.”

 

“Well then,” Billy said.  “I guess we have the start of a plan.  Just remember, it’s up to the two of you to do the heavy lifting - we can help a little, but we can’t do it for you.”

 

“I know.”  Said Steph.  “And we wouldn’t want you to - this has to be something we do, even if it’s to prove to ourselves we can do it, right?”

 

“Yeah.”  Andrew said.  “I agree - if we can’t do this ourselves, then were just not ready and might never be.”

 

“Then it’s settled.  I suggest we leave tomorrow morning - and the two of you get sleep tonight.”

 

“What will you and the sprites be doing while we sleep?”  Stephanie asked.

 

“Worrying about tomorrow.”  Was their unanimous reply.

 

*              *              *

 

The cab ride to Biederbach was far less eventful than their first cab ride in Germany...  As the hills and forest rolled by, Andrew realized neither he nor Stephanie had asked how Billy got them to the hotel, nor what had he done with the car the thieves were using as a taxi.   He’s pretty resourceful, Andrew thought.  Maybe I shouldn’t worry about him so much.  Besides, he thought, it’s not like his crazy good looks didn’t have some perks...  Like that restaurant that gave us a table when the place was packed, because the concierge was convinced Billy was related to Harrison Ford.  Wow.  

 

Billy sat in the back seat, next to Andrew, dozing lightly.  He had advised them to get some rest, and was obviously taking his own advice.  The sprites were in Andrews pouch.   Billy had been dozing next to Andrew for about an hour.   He looked oddly vulnerable in his sleep, Andrew thought.  But then I guess we all do, in a way.   It could have been worse - he could have looked like Jason Statham - then I’d have had no chance at all.  He laughed silently to himself.   Stephanie got gooey eyed over Jason Statham, especially in the Transporter movies.

 

Stephanie looked lost in thought too.  Instead of musing over Billy, she was instead looking back at herself, a little introspectively.  I killed that guy - just like that, one punch to the throat.   I didn’t freak out - in fact neither of us did.   What does that make us?  Are we killers - or is that our new normal?   I guess this is the part of the quests they leave out of the books - the part of self-doubt, fear, and self-recriminations.   I’m not sure I want to get to like this...

 

But the problem was, Stephanie was starting to realize she DID like it.  The action - the violence.  She had never felt so alive, so invigorated.  When she was in that fight for her life, she felt at home as anything she’d ever done.  She revelled in it - and it scared her.   She was afraid to find out what she was capable of... 

 

The cab continued on and soon they entered the town.   Biederbach was a small country town of maybe 1700 people.  A few dozen local shops, lots of farms, a few churches, a small hotel and a few restaurants.   It was picturesque and looked very attractive, but not like a town geared for a lot of tourists; more like a town where the locals wanted it to look good for their own tastes, not for what they expected tourists would want to see.   It was nice.

 

The cab driver stopped at the hotel - it was called Hotel Fenris - rather appropriate considering they were in or near the Black Forest.   He had spent the trip mostly silent - his English was not good, and it was hard to pantomime while he drove - a fact which had made Andrew very happy.   He shook Billy awake.  “Dude, get up - were here.”

 

Billy woke almost instantly.  “Huh - great!” He said, sitting up. “What time is it?”

 

Stephanie laughed.  “Not even 11am, sleepyhead.  Let’s get our stuff.”  The cab driver helped the trio get their bags out of the trunk of the cab, and Stephanie paid him with a decent tip on top of the fare.  His smile and friendly wave goodbye made her realize she had picked the right amount.  

 

A little while later, they had a rather small suite of rooms - two bedrooms with suitable beds, and a central living room with some amenities like a television, couch, table and chairs.  The washroom was surprisingly small too - but then European standards of appropriate size were all rather different than American or Canadian standards.   Even on their short trip abroad, Steph  and Andrew were learning a lot more about the world - and they both seemed to be drinking it in and enjoying it, instead of complaining about it like many travellers did.

 

After stowing their luggage, each of them packed a small daypack with some of the gear Billy had bought...  Hunting knife, hatchet, flashlight, thermal blanket, first aid kit, some MREs, matches, compass, a small coil of nylon rope, sleeping bag, a roll of duct tape and a filtration canteen with a quart of water.  Billy’s pack also held his axe and his rifle - broken down into pieces - but there was no way he could conceal his shield, so he reluctantly left it behind. 

 

“We’re about as ready as we can be.”  Billy said.  “So grab your packs and well get going.”

 

“So we’re going to wander aimlessly in the woods?”  Stephanie asked, jokingly. 

 

“Not so much.”  Billy replied.  “Creatures of legend are drawn to one another - either as friends or foes.  If we get anywhere near this thing, it’ll be all over us like a dog on biscuits.  The problem will probably be seeing it before it sees - or smells - us.  You’ll find that just by being what you are, coincidence and chance seem to get twisted around you both - which is probably why you could get airline tickets in the first place - Fate wanted you here, now.”

 

“Weird.  You talk like fate is a person - is it?”  Stephanie asked.

 

“Yes and no.”  Billy answered.  “Fate is an impersonal force that binds all Gods and their children, but it doesn’t have an avatar, like the Titans do.  It does have people like the Norns or the Fates that help tend it though - and they often take active roles in what’s going on.  If you meet them, it’s really good advice to be polite and not piss them off.”

 

Andrew laughed.  “Is it me, or are we crazy?  I should be scared shitless - and I’m feeling giddy and excited - like I’m going to a theme park for the first time.  I’m only a little scared - like when you look at a really big roller-coaster and think nope! - but that’s all.”

 

“Me too!”  Stephanie said.  “Is that normal?”

 

Billy looked askance.  “No, not really.  I was expecting you to be scared shitless, frankly.  This is unusual - maybe you’re both just taking really well to the whole experience?   I’m glad you’re not terrified - but all the same, try to keep your cool when we get hip deep in trouble, okay.  Things have a way of going south really quickly in combat.”

 

“Gotcha.”  Andrew said - and it was clear from Stephanie’s expression she felt the same way.

 

The three of them headed out of the hotel, and went for a walk in the wooded fields nearby...  The fifteen minute walk through town showed it to be a quaint, lovely rural town.  It even had the eponymous flock of sheep blocking traffic, with a few cars headed for Stuttgart waiting to pass by, and an ancient German castle looking down over the valley.   Soon they were in the wooded copses of trees surrounding the edge of the town.

 

“Andrew, if you don’t mind, I think you should get your sprites out - five additional sets of eyes, plus Thorn knowing a bit about tracking might help us here.  And don’t worry about them being seen - wood-sprites are practically invisible in outdoor settings like this.”  Billy said.

 

“Sure - good idea.  I miss the little guys anyway.”   Andrew did miss them, too - oh, he didn’t miss being called master - that was odd still - but he was surprised at how close he had grown to them in the last week or so.  They were like family now - like a part of him.  I suppose that’s the point.  He thought.  Does that mean Stephanie feels that way about Billy?   I’m not sure if that would be good or bad.   It might get her closer to him - but maybe he’ll start giving off ‘I’m just like a brother to you’ vibes?  I dunno.  He smiled wryly.  This whole train of thought is pointless.  Either I survive, or I die.  I suppose everything else can wait till later.

 

Soon, Thorn and the others appeared, and took point around the group of human hikers.  Steph and Andrew brought them up to speed on where they were, and what they were doing - and then the band got to work searching for the wolf.   Hours passed as they headed deeper into the outskirts of the Black Forest.  The sun was getting low in the sky, and the shadows of the trees were growing long.  Stephanie thought the trees looked rather intimidating as the deeper shadows began to engulf them.   Billy had reassembled his gun hours ago, and was carrying it on his back with his axe in his hands; Stephanie and Andrew had their hunting knives belted to their waists.

 

“It’s getting late.”  Billy said.  “We should head back.”   Billy wasn’t even sure the trio would be able to get back...  Andrew had been limping for hours, and although he tried to soldier on without complaining, it was obvious that he was in pain.  Maybe he can’t do this?  He thought.  Stephanie looked like she noticed how hard Andrew was trying to keep going as well, but she wasn’t bringing it up yet either.

 

Thorn looked about, and the other sprites seemed to agree as well.  “Agreed.  Master Andrew, facing the wolf will be tough enough without facing him in the darkness.  I think you should listen and head back.”

 

Andrew looked at Steph and simply said “Okay.  We can always come back tomorrow.”   Andrew tried to hide his happiness at the suggestion - his legs and knees had been radiating pain up his back and down his legs for hours now - to the point where he was sure he was slowing everyone else down.   Sitting didn’t help - at least, not sitting for five minutes.   What I really need is a half-dozen ibuprofen and a sleep.  Andrew thought.  But until we get back, I’m not likely to get either.

 

The tired trio started heading back, guided by the wood-sprites who could see in the dark, and Billy’s orienteering, which he learned in the Canadian army.  He hadn’t gone ten steps, when Thistle whistled.   The sprites immediately went on the alert and drew their blades - and Billy raised his axe to fight.  “Get ready!”  He said to Steph and Andrew.  “It’s got to be around here...”

 

Billy never got to finish his statement.  The bushes parted, and a behemoth of black and smoky grey fur and flashing fangs burst out of the woods before anything else could be done.  It shouldered past Stephanie, knocking her aside and prone with its bulk, and bit at Billy - who was caught flat-footed.  The beast bit down hard on Billy’s left arm, and blood fountained as his arm was torn to ribbons - and with a rough jerk, the beast ripped off the arm and spat it out.  Billy fell to the ground gasping, groaning and bleeding out. The wolf looked at the rest of them, and simply said “Scions!  I will devour your bones!”

 

Andrew stared in shock - Billy was dying, right in front of him.  I have to do something!  Do something god dammit!  Andrew drew his knife, limping on his sore legs.  “C’mon, Steph – it’s up to us.”  He moved towards the wolf, who easily kept his distance from him.   Oddly enough, although he felt like he wanted to fight, the weird haze that had affected him in the previous battle with the thugs was absent.  He could think clearer - but he didn’t have the strange calm it seemed to give him either.

 

“Oh ho.  Did someone set up a little hunt?”  The wolf asked.  “Too bad they didn’t tell you who was the hunted and who was the prey.”

 

Stephanie scrabbled to her feet, and picked up the knife that had been knocked out of her hand.   Oh crap, this is it!  It can freaking talk!?  She too wondered why she didn’t feel the weird blood-haze that overcame her before - but at the same time, she didn’t think the lack of it was affecting her performance any.

 

The sprites flew about, nearby - watching but not attacking.  Thistle was holding a leaf like a hanky to her face to hide from the sight of the battle, but Stump and Thorn were looking ready and eager to go - the other sprites a bit less so.  Obviously some of them wanted to join in - and equally obviously they could not - this was Andrew and Stephanie’s fight.

 

The three warriors circled a few moments, looking for an advantage.  The wolf Grayfang  - for how many other talking wolves could be in this forest - was easily six or seven feet tall at the shoulder, about eight times the size of a normal wolf.  He bore scars of many battles on his neck and shoulders.   Stephanie realized that Andrew wasn’t able to move well - so she decided to try and goad the wolf into getting closer to Andrew so he could strike.

 

“Hey, asshole!”  Steph called out.  “Bring it, you mangy pup.”  She stepped forward, and took a slash at its flank, intending to tumble over to where Andrew was standing in the hopes it would charge them both.  Either this is over quickly or I don’t think we’ll make it.  That thing is the size of a horse!  

 

She didn’t make it...  Grayfang tried to whirl to avoid the knife blow - but only partially succeeded, getting a nasty cut on its flank.   At the same time, though, Grayfang intercepted her tumble and bit down savagely on Stephanie’s left leg.   Stephanie’s scream could be heard loudly throughout the clearing...  Blood sprayed, and she was dragged prone, trying to right herself.  Oh god!  Don’t rip off my leg, don’t rip off my leg...  Steph was thinking like a mantra as she was dragged through the dead leaves, twigs and dirt.  The pain in her leg was excruciating - and when she bashed her head off an unseen rock, her vision got blurry and she couldn’t think straight for a moment.

 

“Stephanie!”  Andrew yelled.  “No!”  He ran up, his legs screaming at him every step of the way, and stabbed with all his might into the wolfs rump, both hands wrapped tightly in a two-handed grip around the hilt of the dagger.   The blade hit and sunk it, and the wolf yowled in pain, and did so again as Andrew pulled against the knife with all his weight, attempting to drag the blade down Greyfang’s rump and hamstring him.   It partially worked - Greyfang was bleeding badly, and let go of Stephanie, who rolled to a stop moaning.  

 

“So the child has claws?”  Greyfang said, turning to face Andrew.   “I wonder how you’ll taste.”  It taunted him, but it was limping a bit, and a bit slower than it was before. 

 

Okay... What would John McClane do? Andrew wondered in a panic.  Andrew didn’t talk, and didn’t wait for the wolf to finish talking either.  Instead, he kicked sand and leaves into the dire wolfs face, and while it tried to paw the dirt out, he stabbed it in one of its eyes.   Greyfang tried to dodge - but only partially succeeded, and suffered a long cut on his muzzle, giving him a rather distinctive appearance - as if a seven foot tall wolf needed one.  

 

Greyfang licked some blood off his muzzle.  “Now it’s your turn, human.”

 

The wolf darted forward with inhuman speed - and it was then that Andrew realized the fight they were engaged in with the wolf was going at about twice the normal speed - like he and Steph and the wolf were on fast forward, and the sprites and Billy were in slow-motion... and now the wolf was speeding up faster than he was!   This is going to hurt!

 

Greyfang was a canny, old fighter - and it could tell sick or injured prey with ease.  The girl was hurt - she wouldn’t be hard to finish off as long as he didn’t let her surprise him again.  The man should be easy - sick and injured was a combination hard not to beat.  The Scion can’t hit you if you disable his arms, it thought, and attacked.  The huge wolf leaned over, and attacked Andrew with its huge jaws, biting his shoulder and easily engulfing his entire arm and shoulder with it. 

 

Teeth bit hard, and Andrew screamed as he felt bones shatter in his arm and shoulder.  The pain was so intense, it made the pain in his knees trivial in comparison - and he had no idea why he remained conscious.  He felt blood pouring out of him, and staggered, falling prone.  Thorn held the sprites back, giving Andrew a chance to finish this, and pointed at Stephanie, sneaking up behind the huge wolf.

 

When Stephanie fell from the wolfs jaws, she was stunned for a few moments, then rolled to her feet - nearly fainting from the pain of standing on her slashed leg and her throbbing head; blood was pouring into her boot, making it squish and squelch.  “Where’s my dagger?”  Dammit - I must have lost it when I was dragged through the bushes...  I need a weapon, quick!   She saw Greyfang move at insane speeds, and realized she needed to move now, or they would both be lost.  She found a large tree branch - useable as an ersatz club - and crept towards the wolf as quietly as she could, trying not to faint.

 

Staring at Greyfang’s rump, Stephanie unfortunately had a great view of his ummm... dangly bits.  Greyfang didn’t seem to see her - so she took aim, and swung for the bleachers!  I’m not above taking a swing at low hanging fruit, she thought - and winced a bit as the log connected with the tender vitals like a bat on a baseball diamond.  The wolf’s reaction was instantaneous - it yowled, and fell to the ground stunned with pain.  “Andrew – it’s now or never!  I stunned it!  C’mon!”  She yelled.  Then the pain in her savaged leg became too much and she too collapsed to the ground, drifting in and out of consciousness.

 

Andrew groaned through the incredible pain and rolled to his feet.  I can do this.  He thought.  I can do this!  He staggered towards the wolf, still stunned from the surprise low-blow Stephanie had inflicted upon it.  It was rolling around in pain, trying in vain to somehow get away from the hurt.  Andrew lurched forward, and half-aimed, half-fell on the wolf, and stabbed it deep into the belly once, twice, three times.  

 

The dagger blows went deep, and the last blow ripped all the way down the beast’s stomach.   Greyfang screamed in pain as its life left it, and his stomach split open, nearly burying Andrew in its steaming entrails from the gory slit in its stomach.  The wolf’s corpse fell on Andrew, pinning his legs and crushing them at the same time.  The pain was too much - Andrew screamed, and blacked out.

 

The sprites had had enough.  “Protect the master!”  Thorn ordered.  “See if he’s still alive!”

 

They flitted over on their tiny wings, and found Andrew still breathing, but very hurt.   Petal took a quick look at Stephanie, and found her much the same.   Both were unconscious.   Thorn saw that Billy wasn’t breathing.  He must be dead.  Crap this was close, he thought. But Andrew made it – he’s alive!

 

“Stump - can you contact Danu and tell her it’s done?  He might need help.”  Thorn said, watching Andrew and trying to pull the dead wolf off of his body.

 

“Don’t need to.”  Stump said, pointing.

 

Thorn followed the pointed finger, and saw the radiant beauty of Danu herself entering the clearing.  He and all the other sprites fell to their knees and bowed in reverence and awe.  

 

The mother of the Tuatha was beautiful, garbed in a robe of green and brown, armed with a small sickle and a pouch of acorns.  Her hair was adorned with a circlet of woven clover and grass, and tiny wildflowers burst out of the ground and into bloom wherever she walked.   She looked upon the scene and smiled sadly.  “Well done, my son.”  She said.   Danu turned to the sprites.  “Did he comport himself well?”

 

“Yes, most high.”  Thorn answered.  “He did all he could and more, without even a complaint.  He surpassed his physical problems with effort, and was able to strike the killing blow.  He did well.”

 

“Good.”  Danu said, smiling, turning towards Andrew.  “It’ll be okay, son.  Mom is going to make it better.”   She pulled the dire wolfs corpse off her son with ease, and picked up Andrews shattered gory body. How many times have I seen my children like this, she thought.  Shattered and broken.  And not just mine - all the other gods too.  What kind of hell do we put you children through, my child - just so you can try and please us.  So you can be our instruments.  Do you think us cruel?   Do we forget that you are also children?  I know some of us do - but I do not.

 

“ Everything will be alright now.”  She said.  “Mom’s here.”

 

3