Chapter 19 – Strangers on a Train
107 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stephanie smiled and watched the kilometres roll by out the train’s window.   The scenery was beautiful - green countrysides, broken by urban sprawls that looked strangely exotic compared to urban sprawls back home, mixed with little bits of Europe that you find nowhere else.   It was like television - without the annoying commercials.   It gave Steph time to think.

 

After the initial glee at being underway had bled away, she had started fretting again about her recent battle with the wolf Greyfang - and how much she enjoyed it.   She still remembered the taste of the blood that was in the air, and smell of the musk of the wolf and its den.   It scared her - not how her senses seemed a bit more acute - but rather that everything seemed less real when she wasn’t in battle, than when she was.   It was like battle and war was her natural state - and this quiet time between adventures was the surreal part.   It was disturbing.   What’s happening to me?  She wondered.  I was never like this before - oh I wasn’t a coward, but I didn’t lust for battle...  Is this part of being a scion, or is something wrong with me?   I need to ask Billy as soon as I can.

 

Meanwhile, Alley was content to let Stephanie have what Alley affectionately called her brooding sessions.   She does this way too much, Alley thought.  She needs to relax a little, and not sweat stuff so much.  It’s not healthy.   Alley knew it probably was useless to try and talk Stephanie out of it - at least right now; until she’d had her fill of brooding she’d be impossible to talk to.

 

Instead, Alley looked around the train car...  She and Steph were sitting across from each other in a small booth of four seats, comfortably by themselves - and several commuters were in seats nearby.  A few people stood out from the crowd, which Alley spent a bit of time watching to see what she could learn.   The babble of German from other parts of the train car seemed to be mostly gossip on local news, jobs and the economy, and terrorists in Europe and the middle-east.   Thank goodness I can understand the language!  She thought.  The three people that stood out sat nearby.  The first person that stood out was a heavyset man about sixty years old, with white mustaches that hung to his collarbone, with a heavy wool sweater and a knobbly cane.   He seemed nice enough, but smelled strongly of cabbage and onions.  Ewww.

 

The second person was a cute Japanese woman, a bit short with black hair - probably no more than 100 pounds - in a snazzy and classy wool jacket and what seemed like a designer purse.   At least I think it’s a designer purse - it looks fancier and more elaborate than the ones Steph and I have.   Her clothes looked expensive - not like the usual commuters.  I wonder where she works, Alley thought.  Or if she even has to work?

 

The third person was something Alley would have described as a skinhead back home in Canada - a young man with a partially shaven head, with many piercings and tattoos.   The young man had Nazi paraphernalia and symbols on his garments - making him look both dangerous and outlandish at the same time.   A lot of the other people on the train are looking at him with disgust, Alley thought.  I guess they don’t like these guys, especially after the last war.    The young man was playing what appeared to be a handheld nintendo gamesystem, oblivious to everything around him.     

 

The first, older man noticed Alleys attention, and smiled at her, winking.  That sly dog!  She thought.  He’s flirting with me!  Alley laughed to herself a bit nervously - but even so it was still laughter.  Oh my god.  This is so cool.  I’m so going to have to get used to this, she thought smiling.   Alley turned away, to look at the Japanese woman - only to find her being examined in turn. 

 

“Excuse me.”  The Japanese woman said in German.  “I couldn’t help but notice you looked bored.  I’m rather bored as well - these long trips are rather tedious.  Would it be alright if we talked?”

 

Alley glanced over at Stephanie, who was still brooding.  She’ll probably keep at this for another hour unless something changes, Alley sighed.  Maybe I will chat with someone else for a bit.  “Sure!” she said.  “It’ll be fun!”

 

The attractive woman grabbed her fancy purse, smoothed her skirts and came over, sitting across the way from Alley so that she was facing her and Stephanie.  “Thank you, Miss.  I get so bored on long trips.  My name is Hariko Kuna.”   Hariko held out her hand to shake. 

 

“Hi!  I’m Alexandra - please call me Alley.  My friend here is Stephanie.”  She said, motioning to her girlfriend who still had not noticed their new guest.

 

Hariko smiled.  “Alright, Alley.  Are you and your mother travelling - I mean touring part of Europe?”  How odd, Hariko thought.  Alley is lying - and not lying - about her name.  Perhaps she has more than one name?   I was right - these two will be interesting!

 

“No - I guess I am young enough to be Steph’s daughter - but she’s not my mom.   She’s my girlfriend, and we’re travelling to Norway.  What about you?”  I’m glad Steph didn’t seem to hear that – she’s self conscious enough as it is.  Alley thought. 

 

“I’m going to Copenhagen, in Denmark - the shopping there is wonderful.”  Hariko lied.  ‘Do you have family in Norway?”

 

“Not really - not me anyway.  I guess you could say Stephanie has some family up there, though.”

 

Hariko’s questioning shook Stephanie out of her brooding reverie, enough to notice that she and Alley were no longer sitting alone.  “Oh - hello.  Sorry - I was distracted.  Brooding too much I guess.   Alley, who’s our friend?”

 

“This is Hariko Kuna.  She’s going to Copenhagen.”  Alley answered, in English so Stephanie could understand.

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.”  Hariko offered, also in English, albeit with a mild Japanese accent.  “Have you know each other long?”

 

Stephanie shook her hand, and nodded.  “For many years.  I’ve been friends with Alley for almost as long as I can remember - but we’ve been dating for only a few years.”   She gave Alleys hand a squeeze.   “This trip has been a real eye-opener for us.  I discovered I like travelling, for one - and I’m learning a lot about myself.  It has ups and downs, but in general it’s been really positive.”

 

“Ahh.”  Hariko said, smiling.  “Sorry - I assumed that since your girlfriend knew German you must as well.  Would you prefer we speak English?”  Hariko asked.  

 

“Yes please.”  Stephanie answered.  “Your English is very good.”

 

“Thank you.”  Hariko smiled.  “That’s a lovely jewel you’re wearing, Alley - did Stephanie get it for you?”  Hariko was motioning towards the enchanted ring Danu had given Alley to allow her to summon a wooden spear - although it was obvious she didn’t know what it truly was.

 

“No - It was a gift from my mother.  Thank you though.   You have some nice jewellery yourself.  Are you married?”  Alley asked.

 

“No... not anymore.   My husband died recently in his sleep - much of the jewellery I have was given to me by him.  His name was Daniel Kuna - he was an executive for an oil company in South America.   Ever since the funeral, I’ve been travelling to try and feel better - we were only married for three years.”  Of course, my holding the pillow over his head might have contributed to dear Daniel not waking up, Hariko thought.  It’s not like it was murder - he wasn’t even Japanese. 

 

“Oh... Please accept our condolences.”  Alley offered.

 

“Thank you.”  Hariko said, wringing her hands a bit, then sniffling into a small silken handkerchief she pulled from her fancy purse.   Once she had composed herself, Hariko continued chatting.  “Did you enjoy your stay in Germany?”

 

“I think we’d have to say a qualified yes, eh sweetie?”  Alley asked.

 

“I dunno, hon.”  Stephanie answered.  “I’d say overall it was a success, with some rough spots.  We nearly got robbed in Stuttgart on the way to the hotel - a guy named Mikel set us up, and some pals of his tried to rob us.  A nice guy helped us out, and we were able to get away.”

 

“Wow - sounds scary.”  Hariko exclaimed.  And it sounds like horse-shit.  She lied about the nice guy and about getting away...  “Did you have to fight them?  Did anyone get hurt?”

 

“Nah - the guy that helped us pulled a gun,” Alley said, continuing Stephanie’s lie.  “They ran off and let us be after that.”

 

“Yeah - the worst part was walking to the hotel, without the cab.”  Steph added.

 

Interesting.  Hariko thought.  Everything they’ve told me from the moment the robbery started was a lie.  What really happened?   “That must have been rough.  Were the police called?”

 

“No - we didn’t want the hassle - and since they didn’t manage to steal anything, we figured it would be a waste of time.”  Steph said, but even she knew it sounded weak...  The police could have investigated the crime and used it as evidence.  Maybe lying wasn’t the best idea, she thought.  But what am I going to say?  We beat them to death and only accidentally let one or two live - then passed out?   Yeah sure.

 

So she and Alley don’t want the police involved.  Interesting.  I can use that, if needed.  “Well it’s probably enough that you’re okay.  Were you scared at all?”

 

“It was pretty scary.” Alley said

 

“Yeah.  At least, I think I was.”  Steph said.  “Have you ever been really scared, Hariko?”

 

“Yes.”  Hariko said.  “Several times - once when I thought I might lose my first husband, Shedo, and several other times as well... When I used to live back in Japan, I was attacked by a young man once - I think he meant to kill me, or worse - but I was able to escape him, and get to safety.   When I complained about my safety, the authorities did nothing, so I left home and I haven’t been back since.  Now Europe is my home.”

 

Stephanie began to regret the extra soda she had packed away at breakfast.  “Excuse me a moment.”  She said.  “I’ve got to go use the little girl’s room.”   Steph stood as the conversation stopped, and slid past Alley into the aisle.  “I’ll be back in a moment.”

 

The two ladies watched Stephanie leave, and then went back to talking.

 

“Which part of Europe do you like the best?”  Alley asked. 

 

“France, undoubtedly.”  Hariko said without pause.  “Although Switzerland is nice as well.  I love to ski.  Do you have any sports you like, Alley?”

 

“Not really - I do play a lot of video games, though.”  Alley said.            

 

“You’re from America?”

 

“No - Stephanie and I are Canadian.  We’re from Ontario.   Where in Japan are you from?”

 

“Kozuke province.  It’s near Fukushima Prefecture.”  All I’m doing is dancing around the topic... Perhaps it’s time to take more active steps.   Hariko smoothed her skirt, and cleared her throat...  When she next spoke, her voice was almost hypnotic.  “So what have you really been doing in Germany, and why Alley?  Who are you really?”

 

Alley felt something - a pressure - against her mind, and realized something was wrong...  Things began to slow down, like her reflexes were starting to take over - but instead of feeling like she was ready to fight, Alley felt afraid.  Her eyes glazed over - and she felt magic wash over her.   She could simultaneously see a glow about herself, and Hariko - except compared to Alley, Hariko blazed like a small sun.  Somehow, Alley knew that Hariko was a survivor - someone who would do anything to live another day - and someone who loved their little pleasures... to the point where she would be tempted to do anything to keep them.  She was a creature of intellect - someone who valued critical thinking - but not someone who cared overmuch about duty.   She wasn’t evil - but she was dangerous.

 

Alley also felt herself talking, not fully of her own free will.  “Well, I came to Germany to kill a giant talking wolf, but we started off killing some robbers instead - and were going to Norway to kill another monster in a cave.  If Steph and I succeed at killing both, well be chosen as children of the gods.  I’m really Andrew - or I was.  I think now I’m Alley, or maybe both... It’s complicated.  I guess I’m also a child of Danu.”

 

And just like that, the spell forcing her to tell her and Stephanie’s secrets was ended - and Alley realized she was in great danger.   Holy shit!  Hariko just pulled a jedi mind trick on me...  She looks way more powerful too, if that glow is our relative strengths...  Oh shit!   “What the fuck just happened?  How did you do that to me?”

 

Meanwhile, Hariko was having worries of her own...  Scions?!  Damn and double damn!   That ring of hers must be a relic - and if Stephanie is a scion too, I could be in deep trouble!   And she’s a Celt... don’t they have some way to see into your soul or something?  Damn it!  This is beyond me - I need to be gone NOW!   Hariko growled, startling Alley.  “Go to the dining car and buy something – don’t come back here until you do.”  Scions are bad news.  She thought.  The last time a Scion butted into my life was 200 years ago and I was nearly killed and skinned, and turned into a trophy.  It was so long ago, I don’t even remember if I deserved it or not.

 

Again, Alley felt that odd pressure in her mind - and as if she was helpless against it, she rose to her feet and walked to the other end of the train car - leaving Stephanie’s purse unguarded on the floor in front of Stephanie’s seat.   No!  Not again!  Why is this happening?!  Alley asked herself, trying to break free of the mental commands.  She couldn’t break free - and a few minutes later, was in the dining car.  It was quite busy - the queue would obviously take thirty minutes or more to wait.   Alley tried to yell for help, or scream, or anything - and all she could do was stand in line... 

 

Minutes passed as the clock ticked away... first 10 minutes, then fifteen.  I have to buy something before I can leave...  Alley thought - but realized she might be able to maneuver around the order she was given.   Alley turned and asked the nearest person to her for a favor...  “Ma’am, do you have a toothpick I could buy off you?”

 

The woman in question turned and laughed.  “Buy a toothpick?  Why?  They’re giving them away at the counter.   If you must you can have these for a groschen (a dime).”  The woman held up a few toothpicks wrapped in cellophane to keep them clean. 

 

“Thank you ma’am.”  Alley said, handing her a German dime.  She turned and rushed back to her car, toothpicks in hand.  I hope Stephanie is all right!

 

*              *              *

 

Hariko waited just long enough for Alley to vacate the carriage she was in before she moved.   She moved in the opposite direction as Alley, trying to put as much distance between the scion and herself...   Maybe you’ll make it out of this one alive, Hariko?  Stupid letting your curiosity get the better of you.  She told herself.  Next time why not hand them the knife while you’re at it.  Maybe, just maybe they won’t be the kind of scions that like to stab anything not human to death.  I hope.

 

As Hariko passed the end of the carriage, and moved into the cubbyhole between this carriage and the next, she concentrated, and her features shifted and flowed like water.  By the time she crossed to the other side of the small cubbyhole, Hariko no longer looked like her old self - in her place was an elderly Caucasian woman with short curly white hair and too many liver spots.  She was also wearing far too much makeup, and her clothes made her look trashy and lower class.  Maybe I should consider jumping?  She thought, looking out at the scenery passing by the windows.  Were going at least 80Kph - I don’t think I’d survive.  I’m stuck here.   Hariko prayed her disguise would be enough.

 

*              *              *

 

Stephanie got back to her seat a few moments later - to find both Alley and Hariko gone.  Stephanie’s purse was still on the floor, apparently untouched, with Alleys tablet on Stephanie’s seat.  Alley was nowhere in sight.  What the hell is going on?  Where did Alley go?  She wondered.   Looking over at one of the passengers, she asked “Did you see what happened to the young blond woman sitting with me a few minutes ago?”

 

The older man shook his head - it was obvious he didn’t speak English.  Surprisingly, the skinhead spoke up first.  “She went that way.”  He said, pointing.  “Towards the diner car.   The other woman went that way.”  He said, indicating the opposite direction - which would place her behind Steph near the end of the train.  

 

“Were they arguing?”  Steph asked.

 

“Didn’t seem to be - they both just got up and walked away at the same time.  I have no idea where they are.”  The skinhead man said.  “Although they both looked worried, I think.  I dunno.”

 

“Thank you!”  Stephanie responded, and grabbed her stuff and Alleys, and headed down towards the dining car.  What the hell is going on?  As she moved quickly towards the front of the train, she only hoped it wasn’t the silly superstition of Billy’s misspeaking before they boarded that brought this upon them...

 

 

 

3