Chapter 21 – Sweden and Norway
109 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The layover in Copenhagen, and the resulting transfer to a new train - this one to take them to Sweden and then Norway - took a few hours.   The station was quite pretty - clean, white or off-white walls, with red ironwork rising to high arches, and white painted steel girders making a rounded ceiling - to Alley it looked almost like an elaborate, beautiful airplane hangar, with shops on the ground floor.  People were coming and going from every which direction, and even at 3:00am in the morning the place was bustling with activity - Alley didn’t even want to imagine how busy it would be tomorrow at 8am.  Were so used to having so much space back home - but Europe is so packed with people for its geographic size everything seems smaller.   You can cross three entire countries in the time it takes you to drive across Ontario.  Wow.  Alley was amazed - and from Stephanie’s look, she was too.  Travel was starting to show them how sheltered they had been - how worldly they weren’t. 

 

There were an abundance of shops and restaurants, so seeing as how the two of them had time to kill, Steph and Alley made their way to one of the restaurants and ordered some food.   Stephanie ordered something that ended up being a rye sandwich with roast beef, mustard, pickles, cheese - and some kind of liver pate spread.   It was strange, but good.   Alley had a more traditional sausage on a bun - but even it was unusual, being stuffed with spiced cream cheese and covered with onions and a spicy sauce. 

 

“You know what’s really weird, Stephanie?”  Alley asked when they were done eating.  “I can understand what everyone’s saying, but I can’t read a damn thing.  I don’t know how to read their alphabet, or what the words mean - but when they say them out loud, it makes perfect sense.”

 

“That is odd.”  Stephanie said.  “Maybe that’s how the gods understand all the prayers sent their way?  So they never have to misunderstand.   I wonder if there’s a trick you could learn to read any language too?   I bet some archaeologists would go nuts over that one...  What do you mean we totally mistranslated the dead sea scrolls?!   If one of the people like us knew it and went public, a lot of accepted theories would get tossed out on their ears.”

 

“Yup.”  Alley said.  “Which is probably why it doesn’t happen - too many questions would be asked.   We should finish up and get back to the train platform.  We’ve got the train coming in like forty minutes.”  Alley called over the waitress and quickly paid their bill, leaving a decent tip.  

 

As they walked over to the train platform, Alley turned to Stephanie and pointed at her breasts.  “Do these things always get in the way when you eat?”  She asked, semi-seriously.  “Cause I feel like I have to learn a new way to do everything with them.”

 

“Yes, and get used to it.”  Steph said, laughing.  “Wait till you try soup – you’ll probably end up wearing half of it.  I know I did.   At least mine had the habit of growing in slowly - so I had time to get used to them.  Yours just got poofed onto you... lucky bitch.” 

 

The last comment was obviously a joke, but still gave Alley food for thought.  She obviously had been thrown into the deep end, as it were.   I guess I’ll just have to learn how to swim really, really fast.  She thought. 

 

They headed back down to the train platform, and readied themselves for the train.  Stephanie was yawning, obviously tired... Oddly though, although Alley felt cramped a bit from sitting all day or sleeping in the same position, she didn’t feel tired from fatigue at all - and she didn’t suspect it was from her nap...  Probably one of my special abilities kicking in, she thought.  I’m not really hungry either - but hey, it was food. 

 

Soon the train arrived - it was one of those fast, modern looking trains the Television called bullet-trains back home, and it not only looked high tech, it was fairly high tech inside as well.  When the two of them got seated in their carriage, they had another set of four seats together - but these ones had USB plugs to charge computers or cell-phones, which Alley soon took advantage of - her tablet was running low on battery power; Stephanie took a moment to charge her cell-phone and mp3 player as well.   Soon they and the train were under way.  

 

The train was surprising in more ways than one - first it was fast - very fast!  One of the other passengers boasted it could travel at almost 200 Kph - which was amazing.  The other surprise was just how quiet it was inside to the passengers.  It had a bit of noise - but nothing like Stephanie or Alley expected from its speed.  It was a marvel of engineering, and quite comfortable to travel in to boot.   Even with its great speed, it was supposed to take two hours or more to get to Gothenburg - and from there several more to get to Oslo, Norway.

 

As they got settled in, Stephanie yawned again.  “Hey love, do you mind watching over me for a while?  I need to crash, badly.  I feel like I haven’t slept in two days.”   Stephanie could just imagine the dark circles under her eyes.  I probably look a mess, she thought. 

 

“Sure thing, hon.”  Alley volunteered.  “You get some sleep - and I’ll watch the terrain slip by.  I’ll take some pictures for you for when you wake up.”

 

“Okay.”  Steph said tiredly.  “Just keep an eye out for anything off - we don’t want another encounter with someone or something like Hariko again.”

 

“You got it.”  Alley held up her hand in a scouts honor kind of sign, which didn’t fail to get a smirk out of Stephanie.  Andrew had been in scouts a long time ago and absolutely hated it - he was about as much a scout as Stephanie was a dancer for a chorus line.  

 

Alley turned her attention to a few magazines of Steph’s.   It wasn’t long before she was reading away at a fashion magazine, and finding it was like reading another language.  I don’t understand half of what they’re talking about in there... I wonder if Homes and Gardens is any better?  She spent a long time reading it - and realized after a bit she was actually enjoying it. Weird.   Meanwhile, Stephanie wrapped herself in her jacket and tried to doze off.

 

*              *              *

 

Stephanie found herself outside a cave, in a rough and hilly wilderness.   She was dressed in a white robe - and it was cold outside - she could feel the chill on her male body under the robe.   The moon was rising, and the sun was setting - and Stephanie realized she was dreaming... It’s this dream again!  I haven’t had this dream in years - not since I started my transition.  She felt herself - as her old self, Keith, enter the cave, carrying nothing at all, seeking something from within.   She struggled through the cave, slipping and falling many times - banging her head against the ceiling more as well - feeling her way by touch and trial and error.  It was as if she was blind.

 

Oh please!  Oh please!  I hope this is a sign!  She thought.  This was the dream that made her finally decide to take action - the dream that gave her the hope that change was possible.   Please!  Her dream-self, Keith, descended further into the cave, not knowing what he would find - only that he must find it.   Long minutes passed as he struggled through the dark - until he found a glimmer of light ahead.  Keith slowly worked his way towards it - it was a small cave, lit by torches.

 

He looked about - there was the glint of gold and silver everywhere - coins, gems, cups and jewellery - scattered all about... a fortune in ancient wealth.  He passed it all - the whole of his attention on a small wooden box nestled in a pile of golden loot and debris undoubtedly priceless in value...

 

Keith climbed up the pile of gold, scattering coins and jewels as they cascaded down the pile of wealth to the stone floor of the cave...  He picked up the box, trembling with anticipation.  Whatever it was that he sought was inside!   He carefully slid down the pile of golden treasure, and stood on the floor of the cave with the box held in trembling hands.  The box was made of white ash, carved with sigils and runes Keith couldn’t understand, and painted and carved with mythical creatures he took to be wolves - and dragons or great serpents.  

 

Stephanie was watching her own dream play out, like she was riding herself so many years ago...   She remembered this dream with such clarity - its appearance now, after all this time, was to her a sign.   It’s my time... Finally!   Keith trembled and opened the box - and with a start, Stephanie woke up, gasping...   Once again she felt that feeling of wholeness - that overwhelming feeling of ‘You’ve found everything you ever wanted - things will be okay now.’   And she still didn’t see what was in the box, nor what she had to do with it - but she knew without a doubt that when she woke up, she would be female.   Damn it!  Every time!  I never see what’s inside!   She could feel tears at the corner of her eyes, and she sat up to hear Alley calling to her... 

 

She was confused for a moment, trying to figure out where she was... It took a moment for her to remember she was in a train heading to Norway... and she was still far too male for her liking.  “I’m all right, Alley.”  She said.  “Just a dream - a dream that hit me pretty hard.  You know the one.”

 

Alley did know - at least once or twice a year, Stephanie would wake from that dream, and then quietly cry for about an hour before falling back to sleep.  She had never told her about it even once - as if saying it aloud would make it vanish as if it were a dream.  Whatever it was about, it was very important to her - and although Alley had a very strong guess as to its subject matter, she knew nothing about the details.   She just got up and gave Steph a hug.  Hugs were a little more awkward now that she was several inches shorter than Stephanie - putting her girlfriend’s breasts at just the right height to rest her head upon - but she knew Stephanie needed the reassurance of the contact.  She felt Stephanie hug back, and smiled.  “It’s okay, love.  I’m here.”

 

Stephanie hugged Alley back, saying “Thanks, hon.”  She sat up and wiped her eyes.  “I’m glad I don’t get that dream too often.  I couldn’t deal with it.”

 

“Will you tell me one day what happens in the dream?”  Alley asked.

 

“Yeah.”  Steph said.  “Once it comes true I’ll tell you everything, if you still want to know.”

 

Alley smiled.  She always says that.  “You’ve been out for ages - almost 16 hours.  We’re almost to Trondheim.”

 

“What?!  Why did you let me sleep that long?”  Steph asked, sounding a little annoyed.

 

“You needed it.”  Alley said.  “I’ve got unnatural stamina - and you don’t.  Staying up is no big deal for me, so I did.  It’s okay.  Besides, the scenery has been nice, but a lot of it’s been icy mountains and snow.  I’ve taken lots of pictures - but there’s still two or three hours till we get to Trondheim so if you want to gawk, get gawking.”

 

 Nice was an understatement - the train was climbing its way along a cliff face, with a sheer drop off to the left - the effect as the sun shone on the river below was breathtaking.  Nice - right.  Like the sun is a bit warm.   Wow!   Stephanie was so entranced that she and Alley watched the scenery for the better part of two more hours, until they were just outside Trondheim. 

 

The time passed quickly - and Stephanie knew that the memories of just the past few hours would stay with her forever.   “It’s too bad Billy and the sprites can’t see this with us.”

 

“Yeah... They’d probably like it a lot.”  Alley said.  “Do you miss Billy when he’s not around?  I kinda miss the sprites a lot - like they should be here, but aren’t.  I miss Billy a bit too - but more because he’s starting to be a friend than anything else.”

 

“Yeah, a little.  I keep feeling like ‘Billy would have loved this’, or ‘If Billy were here this would be awesome.’  It’s strange – it’s like in less than a week he’s become a part of me...  Like you described your sprites.   I don’t know how to put it.  If it helps I really miss your sprites too – they’re awesome.”

 

“They are, aren’t they?”  Alley said. 

 

The train slowed, and slowly rolled into the train station.  A voice in Norwegian called out the trains’ arrival - and Alley smiled, getting up from her seat.  “We’re finally here!  Trondheim, Stephanie!”

 

“Woooot!”  Stephanie cheered.  38 hours on trains sounds nice and romantic on a brochure, but it sure was hard on ones derriere.   It would be nice to get up and walk about as well.   She grabbed her purse and knapsack, as did Alley.  A short while later, they had debarked the train into Trondheim Station. 

 

As they left the station, Alley and Stephanie took careful note of the cabs and taxis waiting out front - not wanting a repeat of their escapade with Mikel in Stuttgart.  Alley talked to one cabbie, who seemed acceptable and soon they were ensconced within, presumably on their way to a decent hotel.  

 

“Think this cab is safe?”  Steph asked in English.

 

“I suppose.  Let’s just take it as it comes.  I can deal better now than before - so stay behind me if something goes wrong.”  Alley said.   In the last few days she had noticed she was a great deal stronger, faster and tougher than she ever had been as Andrew - and was beginning to suspect she was smarter, more perceptive, and quicker witted than she used to be as well.   She was definitely prettier.

 

A short drive later, they arrived at a hotel - a much larger one than the bed-and-breakfast in Biederbach.   It was called the Comfort Hotel - Steph wondered if it was part of the Comfort Inn brand name back in North America...  Globalization is everywhere, she thought.  So I wouldn’t be surprised.  We’ll probably find at least two McDonalds here in Trondheim as well, amongst other things.  

 

Alley took care of the room booking - she got a suite this time - and they headed to the elevator.  “I told them we’d have a third member of our group arriving later - Billy - and that he’d be in the suite with us.  It was no big deal.  The room is pretty pricey though - like 300$ a day.  We can manage that, right?”

 

“Yeah - for a while anyway.”  Steph answered.  “We won’t have to for long, if Biederbach is anything like here... five days tops.   Of course, we could screw up and be here a lot longer, I suppose.”

 

“Well, I sure as hell hope not.”  Alley said.  They stepped into the elevator, and conversation stopped a moment as two other people - a woman and a child came onto the elevator as well.  Alley hit their floor - the fourth - and asked the woman which floor she wanted, pressing 6'.   A few moments later, Steph and Alley left the elevator, and headed to their room.

 

They hadn’t been in the room more than 30 seconds before Alley had her pot of earth out and was summoning her sprites, while Stephanie moved a distance away and was summoning Billy in a familiar thunderclap and rumble.    The sprites took a moment to stretch their wings and look about - and Billy...  Billy was covered in blood, carrying an axe and wearing a shirt of chain links - and not much else.   His kit bag was nearby - thankfully full of his usual clothes - but it was several long seconds before either Alley or Stephanie could stop staring.

 

Billy smirked.  “Like what you see, ladies?”  He walked to the bathroom and grabbed a towel, and started wiping the blood off of himself - covering himself in the process.  “Sorry about that - you caught me in the middle of a battle in Valhalla.  I got pantsed by a frost giants whelp and was trying to keep myself in one piece when you called.”

 

Alley smirked right back at him.  “It didn’t bother me, Billy.  I’d ask how’s it hanging but we all just got to see.”

 

Billy laughed - and Stephanie blushed at Alleys joke... Is she flirting?  She wondered.  “Good to see you Billy.”  She said.  “We’ve got a lot to talk about.”

 

“Can it wait till I have a shower and get dressed?”  He asked.

 

“Sure, if you hurry.”  Steph said.

 

“Hey - the only way this is going any faster is if you both get in the shower with me, and something tells me that isn’t about to happen...”  He grabbed his kit bag and towel, and headed to the bathroom of their suite.  “I’ll be less than 15 minutes.”

 

Alley turned to Stephanie, blushing.  “Did you see his... Damn!”

 

“Uh huh.”  Steph said, nodding.  “It nearly walked into me in Biederbach, remember.”

 

“Wow.” 

 

The two stood there, looking at the bathroom in silence for a few moments until Alleys sprites flitted up to get their attention.  The sprites looked please to be out of the pouch - and Petal, Stump and Thistle looked to be exploring the suite.  Thorn was standing guard, and Rose was apparently trying to get her mistresses attention.

 

“Yes Rose?  What is it?”  Alley asked.

 

Are we finally in Trondheim, mistress? 

 

“Yup!”  Alley exclaimed.  “Although we’ve been here less than two hours so far.”

 

“That’s great, mistress!   Do you have any orders for the moment?  If not, may we turn on the television?”  Rose asked.

 

Alley thought a bit, and decided there was nothing that needed doing until Billy got out of the shower - there was no point in going over the events on the train twice after all.  “Go ahead, Rose - there is something I want to talk about, but it’ll have to wait until Billy gets out of the shower.”

 

“All right, mistress!”  Rose flitted off and turned on the T.V., and was soon joined by some of the other sprites.  They had a wildlife channel turned on...

 

Steph looked at all the chaos - flitting faeries and sprites watching T.V.; Einherjar in the bathroom having a shower, while their weapons and armor were scattered about the floor.   I love this, she thought.  This is becoming my new normal...  I don’t think I could go back to my wage-slave job if I tried.  What the hell am I going to do?   Oh well - were near the end of the beginning - if we make it past the next few days, I have no idea what the future will hold...

 

 

 

3