Chapter Twenty: Joint alliance (part two)
38 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The same vehicle the team used in training, drove through the streets of the city as the sun went past the horizon.

The reddish sky partly illuminated the city before it began to fade into the night.

Ash and the rest of his team sat in the vehicle as Jared drove to their destination.

For several moments, the team remained quiet for unknown reasons, David and Sinon used a piece of cloth to wipe off the weapons one after the other, while the other gazed into the sky or focused on the trip.

Eventually, Rika broke the ice by suddenly throwing a question at Ash.

"Um, Ash? What was that thing you brought out of the zombie?" 

Hearing that question made the team suddenly interested in what Ash had to say.

"It was a core," he replied while still looking out the window from the passenger's seat right next to the driver's.

"A core?" Gareth asked.

"Yes, it's kind of a base for storing energy," 

"I think from now on, you will all face zombies way stronger than the usual ones you know," he answered. 

"Like the large one from earlier?" Jared asked.

"Yes, but not all will be as large as that," he answered.

"Some will be human size and more dangerous,"

"Some smaller,"

"But, they will all be powerful in various areas like speed, agility, strength, and some might possess powers,"

"Oh, I think I got it," David exclaimed suddenly. "Like in video games, right?" 

"Oh yeah, now I get it," Jared added. "Some part where killing them will grant you more powers and stuff,"

"Yeah, something like that," Ash continued. "But you will have to be prepared, you have to expect the worst, at all times,"

"Which is why you're here to lead us, right? To train us and show us the ropes" Jared voiced out as he kept his eyes on the road.

"Lead you?" Ash asked with a confused expression.

"Yeah, with the way you defeated that thing, I won't need anyone to tell me to follow you," Gareth answered.

"That is the reason you came looking for us right?" Diva added to the many questioning they dished out.

"I-"

"You will lead us, right?" Rika asked as she pulled onto his top.

"Well..." As he thought about their opinion before answering, Jared interrupted him.

"Besides that, you'll have to teach me those moves you displayed back then," 

"Those were some sick moves bro," Gareth said.

"Yeah, you have to teach us how to fight better," Sinon added.

"Well, I guess I'll try," Ash finally answered.

"We are counting on you bro," Jared tapped his shoulder lightly.

'Even if we won't have powers, maybe due to the changes in events, we can all evolve in combat art and the use of weapons.' thoughts played out in his head as he stared into the night sky.

'Well, whatever the outcome, I will rise to the top this time around. Along with my team.' he gave off a long sigh.

****

In a large brightly lit room gathered several men and women as they murmured among themselves.

The walls of the room were painted green and the ceiling was white. 

The people present in the room all talked among themselves about how they have been surviving alone or as a team.

Jack and his gang also stood among them, they were talking with the new team they rescued earlier in the day.

"Once again, from my team and I, we say thank you for the save earlier," the leader of the gang said to Jack and handed out a handshake.

"It's all good man, don't sweat. Um... Mister?" Jack asked.

"Ragnar, you can call me Ragnar," the man responded as they both shook hands.

"Anyway, what is this place?" He asked. "I've been seeing people pour in since we got here, and we even met some," 

"Well, it's an underground meeting point," Jack answered.

"Meeting point? For who or what?" He asked again.

"Before and after the apocalypse started, someone made contact with the majority of the people you see here" 

"He gave some of us orders to recruit more people, while others went to separate locations on his command," Jack explained.

"Oh, so he's like some sort of community leader or something?" 

"Not really, but we're about to meet him or whoever is in charge," Jack said as one of the doors to the room opened.

In walked several persons, both men, boys, and girls along with Jared and the rest of the team.

They all stood behind the small gate bar at the upper level of the room.

Shortly after they walked in, everywhere became quiet as all eyes fell on them.

"Greetings, fellow citizens," Ash said in a soft tone as he walked into the room.

"I have gathered all of you here today for a purpose," he continued.

"You already know what the city has turned to, and soon, the world will follow the same path,"

"I am not here to tell you how to go about surviving, or better still give you any order,"

"I am here to unite us together," he spoke audibly.

"We are yet to face the true danger of this apocalypse, and if we're not prepared, more than half of the world will die before the year runs out,"

"While some of you may be wondering, what does this kid know? Has he ever faced one of those zombies out there? Does he have a clue about the danger that's out there? I bet he doesn't have an idea of what's going on and yet, he stands here lecturing us?" Ash voiced out as he walked down the stairs by the side.

"Believe me when I say I've gone through something similar, and this," he paused in front of Ragnar and stared at him. "This is just the beginning,"

"How I know all this doesn't matter, however, what I know does," he continued walking about.

"Very soon, there will be scarcity in the supplies that you see wasting around in the streets,"

"The ones we call the higher-ups will begin to act, taking a majority of the necessities, if not all,"  

"When the masses complain, they will simply shut us down with their power," 

"Which is why I have decided to unite as many of the masses I can, bringing us under one powerful voice," he climbed back up the stairs and soon, stood in front of the crowd.

"If we are united, we will be able to survive far longer than and better than when we are on our own or in little groups," 

"Forget that," a man from the crowd suddenly interrupted.

He had dark short hair that matches the black vest he was wearing and black trousers, along with two baseball bats hanging at his back.

He matched forward with the sound of his boots thudding the floor as his appearance exude confidence.

"You said it's what you know that matters, right?" He asked.

"Yes, it is," Ash replied from above.

"Then tell us, what is it you know?" The man asked boldly

"What I know-" 

"I asked because this isn't the time for a long speech, "he interrupted Ash's response.

"What we need now is a capable leader. One capable of standing in the front lines and leading us past this apocalypse," he demonstrated to the crowd as they all stared at him.

"Yes, information is key, but you're unfit to lead," he voiced out confidently.

Jared and the rest were about to make a move toward him when Ash stopped them in their tracks.

"What makes you think I can't lead?" He asked softly.

"Isn't it obvious?" The man asked with a faint grin on his face. "Rumours have been going around that someone recruited most of us before and after the apocalypse started,"

"Where is that person?" He asked again.

"I'd like to believe that it's you, but you have to at least be among the rich to pull something like this off,"

After talking for a while, he turned to Ash who was staring at him with a calm expression.

Ash eventually let out a short sigh as he closed his eyes. He opened them seconds later with a dark stare within them.

"You are right!" He echoed. "I am among the rich and powerful,"

"My identity may be meaningless or not, but regardless," he stepped closer. 

"Carve it into your heads that the son of a Heartfield will be leading you during the apocalypse," 

As that statement rang through the room, it left everyone that heard it shocked in their inner minds.

Heartfield has always been a popular name that spread across many cities in the past.

They donated a large sum of money from their businesses to several hospitals and orphanages.

Many would say they did it for eye service, while others would say they had hidden agendas but none of it mattered to them.

"So, now you're not asking but ordering us, huh?" The man chuckled.

"Hey, calm down," Jack said as he tapped the man's shoulder.

"You're going to start an unnecessary rebellion," he added.

"Start?" The man turned his head to Jack. "Don't tell me you think he should lead?"

"At least, let's hear of what he knows," Jack answered.

"Cut the crap, would ya," the man turned around and observed the faces of everyone.

"Heh, I think I speak for the majority of us here when I say," he paused for a second and then continued. "We refuse to be led by a spoiled brat," he gazed into the cold look of Ash.

"You think having a few lackeys make you fit to be a leader?" He started to yell.

"Do you think being the child of a rich and powerful family makes you a leader?"

"No, it doesn't, it's people like you we fight against in this city,"

"If you consider yourself fit to be a leader," he drew out a bat from his back and pointed it at Ash.

"Come and prove it,"

Should I do mass release when I hit 3k views?
  • Yes Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0 · This poll was closed on Apr 27, 2023 01:33 AM.
3