5. The Punishment
1.5k 1 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bruno spent the next few days doing his best to avoid Raul. He managed to stay safe while working at the tavern or near the shacks, where adults kept a watchful eye. The real challenge came during his walks to and from work, where he had to navigate dark alleys and sparsely populated areas of the docks.

Luckily, he was familiar with these parts of the city and could evade the new kid for a considerable amount of time, although he knew it couldn't last forever. It wasn't long before Viki showed up, notifying him that she had acquired the alcohol, but Raul's father was still nowhere to be found. Depending on the ship's route, he could be absent for months. All Bruno could do was wait patiently.

Over the course of a few weeks, he endured a few beatings but remained steadfast in his refusal to share the money. His story remained consistent—there was no money, there is no money, and there will be no money.

On the final day, Bruno was in the alley behind the tavern, gutting a fish, when Viki appeared. She whistled to catch his attention.

"They just docked in the port. Your man headed straight to the closest tavern," she informed, approaching him.

"Okay. Now I will need someone skilled with their fingers, proficient in throwing knives, and knowledgeable in playing cards or dice. Can you find me someone like that?" Bruno requested.

"Sure, but why?" Viki inquired.

"I need him to play against Raul's father and cheat," the boy explained.

"To take all of his money?" a sly smirk crossed the girl's face.

"What? No! I need your guy to lose. He will bet the rum and keep losing until he has nothing left," Bruno clarified.

"That's stupid. Raul's father is a drunk! He'll just drink it all on the spot!"

"Not if you've got enough of it."

"We stole a whole crate, so you don't have to worry about that," she replied, pursing her lips.

"Ha, I knew you would steal it," Bruno chuckled.

"So what?" Viki said challengingly as if daring him to object.

Bruno smiled in response.

"Now I don't have to pay you since you didn't buy it," he finished with a wink.

"You set me up!"

"Of course, I did. I wasn't going to waste my money on alcohol that someone else is going to drink. Now, enough with the bickering. I really need this done, V."

"Okay. I will make it happen."

"Good. Then you'll have to make sure our sailor heads home safely with the remaining rum," Bruno instructed.

"Why?" Viki questioned.

"Trust me. I'll make it worth your efforts in the long term, but for now, you have to believe me," he assured her.

She let out a sigh. "Is there anything else you want me to do, my lord?" she said, not hiding the irony in her voice.

"Yep. In the morning, empty a few bottles from the crate and place them under Raul's pillow or wherever he sleeps. Just make it easy to notice," Bruno instructed.

"Fine, but I need to ask, why? Again..." Viki inquired.

"You'll see tomorrow if you hang around long enough. Raul is going to have breakfast with all of us at Mrs. Griselda's shack, so there will be your window. His dad will be half-dead, so he won't even notice."

"I'll do it."

"I know, and I'll make your efforts worth it. You just need to wait," Bruno assured her.

Her expression changed, and a shy smile crept onto her face, which she quickly hid by turning away from him.

"I need to go," she said and left.

Bruno stood for a while, watching her vanish behind a corner, before returning to work and giving his best throughout the rest of the day. When he finished, he informed the owner that he wasn't feeling well and needed a one-day break. It was his first time requesting such a thing, so Miss Sloan allowed it reluctantly but expressed her dissatisfaction.

The return to Mrs. Griselda's shack took a while as Bruno made a special effort to avoid getting ambushed, taking a much longer route. When he finally reached his destination, he noticed that all the other kids had already left.

"Where have you been?!" Mrs. Griselda demanded, standing at the door with clear anger in her voice.

"Working," Bruno replied calmly, not losing his temper. "I had to clean up after some patrons."

"Hmpf," she snorted, moving aside to let him enter.

He stepped inside and immediately sat down at the table, eager to devour the thin soup that awaited him. The room was enveloped in darkness, save for the flickering light of a single candle placed in the center of the otherwise clean table. Bruno was famished, so he quickly finished his meal, thanked Mrs. Griselda for the food, and headed home to get some much-needed rest.

The next morning started early, as was customary in the bustling docks. People had to wake up early to go to work and took pleasure in waking up others, relishing in a small victory in their otherwise dreary lives.

Bruno was no stranger to this routine; even before his reincarnation, he was accustomed to being the first one to wake up and the last one to go to bed in his father's mansion. There was always an overwhelming amount of work to be done.

He made his way to Mrs. Griselda's shack for breakfast. Soon, everyone except Raul had shown up. Raul arrived a bit later, clearly stalling, wanting to have a chat with Bruno. Reluctantly, Bruno left the shack, allowing his bully to follow him.

"You can't avoid me forever," Raul taunted once they were far enough from Mrs. Griselda's hearing range.

This remark caught the attention of a few passersby, but they quickly turned their attention elsewhere, dismissing the situation as just two kids squabbling.

"I told you, I don't have any money for you."

"Yeah, do you think I'm stupid? I'm not stupid. And you better get me those coins, boy!" Raul replied, shoving Bruno with his shoulder as he passed by. With work awaiting him, Raul didn't have much time left to antagonize his target.

Just then, a peculiar figure emerged from the dwindling crowd on the streets, drawing attention from those who remained.

"Raul?! What the hell is this?!" the man bellowed, his voice filled with rage as he held an empty clay bottle with a handle.

The man towered above them, his tall and robust frame commanding attention. He wore long, soiled pants and a shirt that had once been white, though it was now stained and tattered. His features bore a striking resemblance to Raul's, and their nearly identical hair added to the family resemblance. He stumbled towards the boys, clearly still intoxicated even after some sleep.

The unfolding scene captured the curiosity of the entire street, drawing their gaze.

"I don't know, Dad. Empty bottle?" Raul replied, attempting to feign innocence.

"This was my rum, you stupid boy! Why was it under your pillow?! Did you drink it?!" the father shouted in frustration.

"I didn't drink anything!" the kid protested, his voice filled with genuine surprise.

In a fit of anger, the father hurled the empty bottle to the ground, shattering it into pieces. He then seized Raul by the collar, dragging him away from the prying eyes of the street and deeper into the maze of sacks, where fewer people ventured.

Unnoticed, Bruno discreetly followed the unfolding drama, eager to see how it would evolve.

"That was my rum, you stupid boy! Do you dare to take what's mine?!" the father continued his tirade, his voice dripping with disdain. "First, I had to endure your whore mother, and now I have to live with a drunkard son?!"

"I didn't do anything!" Raul protested, his voice filled with desperation.

The father abruptly halted and struck Raul across the face with a resounding slap. The force of the blow caused Raul to stumble, but he managed to free himself from his father's grasp. Bruno, not willing to risk becoming entangled in the volatile situation, quickly turned and headed towards his shack, avoiding any unnecessary confrontation. However, the drama continued to unfold behind him.

Out of the blue, Viki appeared beside him.

"Worked like a charm," she remarked with a sly grin.

"I told you it would. Now I need your guy, the one who can throw knives," Bruno replied.

"He's around... but why do you need someone like that?"

"You'll see. I also need you to steal something for me."

"Again?" Viki rolled her eyes. "What do you want?"

"Books. I need books about alchemy and botany. As many as you can get me," Bruno replied.

"What?! Why?!" the girl exclaimed, clearly taken aback.

"Shh." he interrupted her, placing a finger over his lips and gripping her shoulder. "Don't yell. If you want to struggle with pickpocketing your whole life, then ignore me. But if you want to be rich, live in a nice house, wear nice clothes, and have as much food as you can eat, then get me those books."

Viki sighed, reluctantly accepting the task. "I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you. Now, bring that knife thrower to my home. I need to talk to him," Bruno instructed.

With a shake of her head, the girl turned and walked away. Bruno, on the other hand, resumed his journey home. Upon arrival, he quickly rummaged through his father's belongings in search of a suitable piece of cloth that could be transformed into makeshift bandages. While not the cleanest option, it would suffice for now.

Sitting at the table, Bruno patiently awaited Viki's return. When she finally arrived, she was accompanied by a grimy, older boy with a disheveled mop of blonde hair and an unsightly smirk on his face.

"This is Fin. Fin, meet Bruno," Viki introduced them.

Fin offered a curt nod in greeting.

"Hi. Do you have a knife?" Bruno asked

The boy produced a roughly crafted blade from his pocket.

"Good," the young mastermind acknowledged, his expression resolute.

"Your friend took quite a beating. He's lying flat on the street," Viki informed them.

"I know. It's part of the plan. His father beat his mother to death, so I anticipated this might happen," Bruno revealed.

Viki's eyes widened in shock. "I know he's beaten you up several times, but that's still harsh... I think he has a broken arm."

"Good," the boy replied firmly, determined to see his plan through.

"Good? Don't tell me you wanted him dead?" Viki exclaimed, a mix of surprise and concern on her face.

"No, I wanted him badly beaten up," Bruno clarified, rising to his feet and scanning the surroundings for a suitable piece of wood. "But death was also acceptable, although it wouldn't be the best outcome."

His words shocked the girl, her eyes widening in disbelief. Meanwhile, he managed to locate an old, sturdy scoop that would serve his purpose.

"Okay, now this is what you two will do," Bruno instructed, holding the piece of wood in his hand. "I'm going to approach Raul and offer him some help. He'll most likely refuse, insult me, and engage in other trivial matters. But when I say the word 'knife,' Fin, I want you to throw it at him. You should miss, but just barely. It means you need to be close enough for him to feel the danger, but not too close for him to notice you. Can you do that?"

Fin casually shrugged his shoulders, displaying his nonchalant attitude. "Sure, why not?"

Bruno turned to Viki, seeking her confirmation. "Is that a yes?"

Viki sighed, rolling her eyes once again. "That's a yes. And what about me?" she asked, seeking her own role in the plan.

"You just watch," the boy replied dismissively.

With their roles established, they set off. Bruno led the way, with Fin and Viki following at a safe distance. Eventually, they found Raul slumped on the ground beside an abandoned shack. He was battered, his left arm cradled protectively against his chest. Blood dripped from his nose, and one eye was swollen shut.

There was no one around to offer help or even notice the injured boy.

Bruno knelt beside Raul, his expression grave. Startled and in pain, Raul groaned as he recognized the familiar face.

"I thought you might need some help," Bruno stated calmly.

"Fuck off," Raul muttered, his voice weak and filled with pain.

"Don't be like that. I'm here to help," he insisted, his tone unwavering.

"You're dead," the wounded boy uttered, his voice fading as he was on the brink of losing consciousness.

"I'm dead? Look at yourself," Bruno retorted sharply. "You couldn't squeeze a few coins out of me for weeks, and now you want me dead? How about I make you dead instead? Do you think your father stumbled upon those bottles by chance? I orchestrated the whole situation. Next time, he might beat you to death, just like your mother."

The weight of his words hung in the air, the gravity of the situation sinking into Raul's battered body.

His remaining eye shot open, and his desperate attempt to grab Bruno met with excruciating pain, contorting his face in a twisted expression of agony.

"Or maybe I should ask one of my guys to stick a knife in your back?" Bruno continued, his voice steady. In an instant, a knife whizzed through the air, embedding itself in the wooden wall of the shack just inches away from Raul's terrified face.

The boy trembled with fear, his body paralyzed by pain. Meanwhile, Bruno remained unaffected, his demeanor cold and composed, as if throwing knives was an everyday occurrence for him.

"You see, there's still another option for you," Bruno stated calmly. "Work with me, and who knows? Maybe soon you won't have to worry about your father anymore. How about we start by fixing you up a bit?"

Raul, his voice strained, managed to speak through gritted teeth. "You can kill my father?"

"Do you want him dead?" Bruno asked bluntly.

"Yes," the boy replied, his determination cutting through the pain.

"Good. We'll continue this conversation later. For now, bite on this," the young mastermind instructed, placing the ladle in Raul's mouth.

The boy clamped down on the wooden handle, bracing himself. Bruno proceeded to assist him in stabilizing his broken arm.

"This might hurt a bit, but I need to check if the bone is in the right place. If it's not, we'll have to fix it, and that will be quite painful," he explained. With his limited medical knowledge from his past life, acquired through books, he carefully examined Raul's hand, searching for signs of a fracture or break. Raul groaned in agony.

"It's fine. Give me that ladle," Bruno said, retrieving the item from the boy’s mouth. Using strips of cloth, he tightly wrapped the makeshift splint around the injured limb. Making the most of the remaining cloth, he did what he could to further support Raul, ensuring his comfort and stability.

Finally, with the impromptu treatment complete, Bruno helped the boy to his feet. Supporting him, he guided the injured back to his own shack, where they could better immobilize the arm and allow Raul to rest.

Fin discreetly disappeared after completing his part of the plan, but Viki chose to stay behind, offering her assistance to Bruno as they navigated the uncertain path ahead.

59