16. Success
1.1k 0 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The city buzzed with the aftermath of the fires in the following days. Several buildings had been reduced to ashes, and a few lives were lost in the chaos. Among the casualties were young thugs who valiantly fought to save their homes but met a tragic fate.

In response to the turmoil, an influx of guards arrived at the docks, their numbers swarming the area as they searched for the culprit or someone to shoulder the blame.

Amidst the commotion, Bruno made a conscious effort to detach himself from the event entirely. He immersed himself in his work, diligently toiling away while still stealing moments each night to gaze at the stars by the harbor.

After two more weeks of focused effort, Bruno's alchemical experiments, fueled by new ingredients and knowledge, finally bore fruit. A concoction comprised of the juice extracted from the thick stalk of the 'Aferad' plant, the essence derived from macerated leaves of the 'Raisin tree,' and the combination of the 'Ink weed' proved remarkably effective in curing hangovers within moments.

They conducted several tests, observing varying effects depending on the individual, but overall, the results were astounding. The news of Bruno's success spread, reaching even Nathan's ears. A few days later, the chief of thugs paid him another visit, finding the young alchemist engrossed in the production of a large batch of his product.

Entering the chamber, the thief couldn't help but acknowledge the alchemical equipment spread across the table. "Congratulations. I heard your little experiment was a success. You truly have a knack for this, don't you?"

Bruno momentarily halted his work, his curiosity piqued by Nathan's unexpected presence. "How can I assist you, Nathan?"

The young man clicked his tongue, his brown teeth glistening as his lips curled. Taking a couple of steps forward, he closed the door behind him. "I heard you've been venturing out at night recently. You do realize it's not safe, especially now with the escalating conflicts in the docks."

Ignoring the warning, the young alchemist continued with his work, his attention fixed on the task at hand. In truth, he had been anticipating Nathan's next request.

"Did you hear me? Or have your potions rendered you deaf?" thug's voice carried a hint of annoyance.

"I heard you. I'm simply occupied. There's much to be done. If you don't require my assistance, I would appreciate it if you didn't disturb me. I intend to enter the market with an abundance of my product and begin by offering free samples. Besides, I have yet to determine what I should name it," Bruno replied, pausing momentarily to appraise Nathan's presence.

The leader of the thieves nodded slowly, his discontent evident as he made no effort to conceal it.

"Good," he replied, mustering a fake smile. "I hope there's money in it. You promised good money."

"As you can see," Bruno began, resuming his work, "I'm putting in a great deal of effort. Once the coins start flowing, we can have a discussion about the manufacturing process."

Thug's smile widened. The allure of wealth held great appeal for him, and the young alchemist's confidence, coupled with the tangible effects of his work, captivated Nathan, causing him to align with Bruno's pursuit of riches.

"Yeah, let's talk about it," the thief said before leaving the room, closing the door behind him.

The boy took a moment to inhale deeply, contemplating Nathan's intentions. Uncertainty lingered within him—was Nathan suspicious of potential treason or merely asserting his dominance and authority? It could even be an unusual way of expressing concern, considering Bruno's proven value as a precious asset. Pushing the thoughts aside, Bruno refocused on the task at hand.

His concentration didn't last long as Viki entered the room, causing him to pause once more.

"What did Nathan want?" she inquired immediately.

"It's hard to say," he replied. "He warned me not to go outside at night."

"Why?" concern etched across the girl's face as she asked.

"Because it's dangerous."

Worry lines formed on her forehead, and Bruno took notice.

"Are you going to stop?" she asked, her voice laced with concern.

"No," he asserted. "I see no reason to do so. I'm working tirelessly here, and I need a moment to stretch my legs and breathe fresh air. It helps me stay focused."

"Maybe you should…"

"I'll be fine, Viki," Bruno interrupted. "I'm not doing anything wrong out there. I'm merely stargazing. Even if Nathan has someone following me, there's nothing to worry about. At least, not yet."

She nodded in agreement.

"Good thing your potions are starting to work," she remarked.

"They always worked... Mostly. Right now, though, they're working exactly as I intended them to. Payback is coming, but there's still plenty of work to be done," Bruno replied.

"Do you need help?" Viki offered.

The young alchemist nodded, and she rolled up her sleeves, ready to assist him. He assigned her a few tasks, providing detailed instructions on how to fulfill them. Step by step, he guided her through the process, demonstrating each task before allowing her to carry them out on her own. With occasional assistance, he watched as Viki performed her duties, gradually giving her more independence before leaving her to work alone while he attended to his own tasks.

This marked the beginning of Viki's involvement in Bruno's product development. They labored diligently for days, utilizing their available supplies to prepare as many bottles as possible. In their spare moments, Bruno taught Viki how to read, while he continued his nightly visits to the harbor for contemplation.

Finally, the day arrived to unveil the effects of their hard work. In the early morning, a group of young thugs emerged from their hideout armed with bottles filled with the alchemical liquid, ready to distribute them for free to the city's hungover populace, suffering from the aftermath of heavy drinking the day before.

Meanwhile, Bruno sat patiently in the basement, waiting for news. It didn't take long for Viki to return with an update.

"It's all gone," she reported, having supervised the boys during the distribution. "We encountered a few issues here and there, but once word got out, everyone wanted a taste."

"Good. No, great," Bruno smiled. "Now we need to produce more and spread the word starting tomorrow, encouraging people to request it at the taverns."

"I'm on it," Viki replied with a smile, leaving Bruno alone.

As the door closed behind her, Bruno took a deep breath. A weight that had burdened him for a considerable time finally lifted. The first phase of his plan had become a reality.

44