17. Bet
1k 0 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several intense days of work passed as Bruno's product, now known as the 'Fix', flooded the market, creating a high demand that resonated throughout the city's taverns. The initial profits were promptly reinvested in more materials to meet the growing needs of the people.

With his day's work completed, the young alchemist finished stretching and prepared to leave his basement room for a leisurely walk. However, before he could step outside, Nathan barged into the underground lab without any warning. Bruno halted, his eyebrows raised in silent inquiry as he regarded the thug.

"Come with me," Nathan declared immediately.

Those words carried a hint of alarm, prompting Bruno to assess Nathan's mood and gauge whether or not he should be concerned. Despite his initial wariness, the thief appeared rather pleased and relaxed. It was possible that his apparent contentment was merely a facade designed to throw the boy off, but deep down, Bruno doubted that Nathan possessed the cunning and finesse of those from his past life. He actually was considerably naive in many regards.

"Where do you want to go?" The young alchemist asked, maintaining a cautious stance.

"It's a surprise, but trust me, boy, you're gonna love it. I've arranged everything as a token of my appreciation for your help," the thief replied.

"I don't like surprises," Bruno admitted honestly.

"But this one, lad, you're going to love," Nathan insisted, sweeping his hand widely to indicate that the boy should follow him. He then exited the room.

Sighing softly, the young alchemist hesitated for a moment, glancing around at his makeshift laboratory. He reached for a knife on the table and concealed it up his sleeve, just in case. With his guard subtly raised, he left the warehouse alongside Nathan, the fading daylight casting an atmospheric glow around them.

As they began to walk in a direction that revealed nothing about their destination, Bruno couldn't contain his curiosity.

"Can't you just tell me where we're going?" he asked, breaking the silence after a few steps.

"To 'Full Keg'. We're celebrating tonight," the thief revealed. "Your product is taking the market by storm, our gang is fortifying our grip on the docks, and everything is going according to plan. And it's all thanks to you, boy. You deserve a drink."

"I'm not much of a drinker," Bruno confessed.

"Tonight, you are," Nathan insisted. "You deserve it. Come…"

The young alchemist suppressed the urge to sigh, choosing to maintain his silence as he followed Nathan, determined to unravel the mystery at hand. ‘Why now? Did something occur while I was engrossed in my work? Is there something I'm unaware of?’ These questions echoed in his mind, urging him to remain alert and attentive to his surroundings. He made sure they were truly heading to their intended destination and kept a watchful eye on the people around them, seeking the cover of adults to avoid any unexpected encounters with other gang members.

Soon, the sight of the 'Full Keg' emerged on the horizon, accompanied by a larger-than-usual crowd gathered near the entrance. Bruno quickly noticed that there were more people outside than usual, yet some of them were being denied entry by the bouncers. This piqued his curiosity, especially since all those individuals seemed well-dressed and affluent. ‘How in the world is a ragamuffin like me going to get inside?’ he pondered silently.

Nevertheless, Nathan's unwavering determination and brisk strides instilled a sense of confidence in the boy, assuring him that there must be a way he was yet unaware of. And indeed, there was. They managed to enter without encountering any obstacles.

Inside, the atmosphere was dimmer, with most of the windows closed. The soft glow of candlelight illuminated the tables, accompanied by the hanging wooden chandelier in the shape of a steering wheel. The room was bustling with activity. A band played spirited sea shanties in the corner, their melodies intermingling with the boisterous singing of the already intoxicated patrons.

The first thing that struck Bruno was the amalgamation of scents that assailed his senses—tobacco smoke, sweat, alcohol, cooked meat, and spices all mingling in the air. The thick haze was so potent that it made his eyes well up.

The majority of the tables were occupied by lively customers engaged in drinking, loud conversations, singing, and various games involving cards and dice. Waitresses skillfully navigated through the crowd, delivering mugs brimming with drinks and plates filled with food.

Among the lively patrons, Bruno couldn't help but notice a few ladies from the brothel above, enticing rowdy men with bulging pockets. Some were already engaged in intimate encounters, sitting on the laps of eager suitors.

His gaze inadvertently fixated on a particularly daring woman, her ample bosom exposed as she provocatively shook it. This bold display prompted the man whose lap she occupied to turn her around and bury his face between her breasts.

"Do you want one?" Nathan asked, catching sight of Bruno's wandering gaze. "We can arrange that for you, but first, let's have some drinks. Come."

With a firm grip on Bruno's hand, Nathan led him to a secluded corner where an empty table awaited. Forcefully pushing the young alchemist into a chair, he took a seat on the opposite side, both of them backed against the walls. Seizing the moment, the boy discreetly dropped the concealed knife to the floor and kicked it away from sight.

"Beer!" Nathan bellowed, slapping a handful of coins onto the table. The glimmering copper galleys caught the waitress's attention, and she swiftly collected them before returning with two mugs overflowing with frothy beer.

"How do you like this place?" the thug inquired, his tone filled with anticipation.

Bruno hesitated, unsure of how to respond. There was an undeniable air of intrigue and mystery surrounding the establishment, of that much he was certain.

"It's not really my kind of place, I'm afraid," he replied cautiously.

Nathan snorted dismissively, quickly scanning the room. His gaze settled on a particular lady, captivating in her appearance. She wore a flowing red skirt paired with a revealing white shirt that showcased her shoulders. Her long, wavy brown hair cascaded down her back, drawing attention to her ripe breasts, tantalizingly exposed to entice the gaze of men.

Summoning her with a gesture, Nathan redirected her towards Bruno. Giggling playfully, she approached from behind, her delicate fingers grazing his shoulders before moving to the other side, eventually settling onto his lap. Sitting sideways, she offered her breasts to the bewildered boy, her smile a silent invitation.

"She is my gift to you," the thief declared with a smirk. "Come on, touch those tits! They're yours tonight!"

As the girl swiftly grabbed Bruno's hand, urging it between her supple breasts, his mind struggled to process the situation. Amidst the confusion, he noticed several curious onlookers stealing glances at their table, yet their attention was not focused on him, but rather on Nathan.

"No, thank you," the young alchemist finally managed to utter, withdrawing his hand from the girl's grasp.

"Do you not like me?" she inquired, feigning sadness with a sweet voice.

Ignoring her entirely, Bruno redirected his focus to Nathan, whose raised eyebrows betrayed his surprise. Clearly, this turn of events had caught him off guard.

"I prefer water to beer, and I'm not interested in those women," Bruno calmly asserted, his words cutting through the tense air. The thug's expression shifted, his face growing stern.

"I've already asked you to stop going outside at night, but you continue to defy my orders. Do you want me to start sending my boys to accompany you?" Nathan's voice dripped with a threatening undertone.

"I don't mind, especially since you're already doing that," the young alchemist retorted, unruffled. "And I know exactly what you're trying to do. It's the classic carrot-and-stick approach. First, you brought me here, offering something none of your other men could resist—a woman. They can easily acquire tobacco or booze, whether by stealing or using ill-gotten money to pretend they're adults. But they can't afford the companionship of a woman, not with the meager coins in their pockets. So that's what you're offering me—a glimpse of a better life filled with fine alcohol and women who wouldn't mind my age."

Pushing the girl off his lap, Bruno dismissed her with a disinterested gaze as she tumbled heavily to the floor, emitting a brief squeak. His attention was now fully devoted to surveying the patrons around him. Something was still missing, and he was determined to uncover it.

"You've shown me the carrot, and now you're resorting to the stick," Bruno continued, his voice steady. "But here's the flaw in your plan. By demonstrating how much you rely on me, you've revealed that, no matter what you say, it will ultimately amount to empty words. Am I wrong?"

Nathan opened his mouth to respond, but a resounding laughter erupted, effectively silencing the entire tavern. The source of the mirth emerged from behind, compelling Bruno to turn his gaze over his shoulder.

A towering man with a twirled mustache, a salt and pepper beard on his chin, and adorned forearms inked with tattoos rose from his seat, commencing a round of applause. All eyes in the establishment fixated on his commanding presence.

"I told you, Nathan. That boy is something. He saw through you before you even saw through yourself," the man declared, his voice carrying across the room.

With purposeful strides, he made his way toward their table, his arrival evoking electric anticipation in the air.

"Why don't I hear any music?!" he boomed, his voice echoing through the establishment.

Immediately, the band sprang into action, their instruments igniting with melody and rhythm.

"There was a man on our ship, they called him Billy Boy the 'creep,' because he liked to walk with his exposed dick..." the singer began, his voice rising above the lively melody.

The man's laughter resonated once more.

„I love this song. Isn't it funny?” he asked but clearly didn't expect an answer. His eyes rested on the girl, still sitting on the floor. „Come here, honey. Maybe the lad doesn't like you, but there is a space on my lap.”

She picked herself up, giving Bruno a look filled with hate, and obediently came to sit on the man's lap. He without hesitation grabbed her shirt, and pulled it down, exposing her naked breasts.

"So, young lad, you're probably wondering who I am, aren't you?" he asked, his hand reaching out to snatch the untouched mug of beer that Bruno had evidently abandoned.

Without hesitation, he took a deep gulp, the frothy foam from the mug coating his bushy mustache.

"You are Billy 'The Razor' Fisher, captain of the infamous 'Blue Whale'," declared the young alchemist.

The proclamation ignited another burst of raucous laughter from the man.

"Did you hear that, Nathan? I told you this boy is something special," he crowed, turning back to Bruno. "You see, the two of us made a little wager as soon as I heard about you, kid. Nathan here believed he could mold you into his underling, but I insisted that even a young lion won't be dominated by a mere lap dog."

"A lapdog?" the young alchemist repeated, curiosity etching across his face.

"Yeah," confirmed Billy with a sinister grin. "Nathan here is my loyal lap dog. You see... He used to be a lowly deckhand on my ship, but I recognized his dexterity with his hands. So, I instructed him to gather a band of misfits, creating his own little gang. That way, he could employ his talents and rise above menial deck-cleaning duties."

Bruno nodded slowly, his mind processing the situation.

"So what now? You clearly wanted to meet with me since you came here," he questioned, seeking clarity.

"No, boy. You came here, to me. But yes, I did want to meet with you. However, that can wait until tomorrow," he replied, his voice laced with a mix of amusement and anticipation. Without hesitation, he reached out and seized one of the woman's exposed breasts, exerting a forceful squeeze that elicited a flinch from her.

A chuckle erupted from his lips, a self-indulgent sound of satisfaction.

"Now, excuse me. The lady and I have things to do," he declared, the possessiveness in his tone evident.

The girl picked up on his words and stood on her own feet. He did the same, and putting his hand around her waist, grabbed a handful of her ass, then squeezed. Using his firm grip, he led her towards the stairs.

„I guess the conversation is over,” Bruno said, turning to Nathan, after tracing Billy’s movement for a solid moment

The thug didn't answer. Clearly still angry about the whole situation. The young alchemist just stood up and left heading straight towards the warehouse. He had enough for one day.

44