18. The Story Of A Man Named Marco
1k 3 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Bruno found himself in the captain's cabin of the majestic 'Blue Whale' ship, settled comfortably in a plush chair opposite Billy Fisher's imposing desk. The pirate captain had yet to arrive, but Bruno was not alone. A silent figure with a vicious scar etched across his cheek, his long hair tied in a tight ponytail, and an assortment of knives secured to his belt and crisscrossing his chest stood alongside him. The man's sun-kissed complexion hinted at a heritage rooted in a land of scorching climates.
 
This enigmatic individual had materialized earlier that morning, accompanied by Nathan, at Bruno's workshop in the basement. The leader of the thugs simply mentioned that he had been sent by 'The Razor' and instructed Bruno to follow the stranger. No further introduction was offered as they made their way to the ship. And now, the two of them sat in silence, awaiting the arrival of their host.
 
With little to occupy his time, Bruno's gaze wandered, exploring his surroundings. His eyes were immediately drawn to the row of windows directly ahead, the only source of natural light in the room. Flanking the windows on either side were bookshelves filled with an assortment of trinkets—miniature statues, glistening gold coins, tiny chests—yet not a single book in sight.
 
Contrasting the bookshelves, the desk itself boasted two open tomes, scattered loose sheets of paper, an inkwell with a delicate quill, and a pair of gleaming daggers. More gold shined upon its surface, accompanied by a spread-out map held in place by weighty paperweights resembling ships. A small silver statue of a nude woman and a bottle of rum completed the eclectic array of objects.
 
To Bruno's left, a door beckoned, likely leading to the captain's private quarters. Underfoot, a plush crimson rug embellished with golden patterns enhanced the room's opulence. Every item seemed to exude value, a testament to the fact that Billy Fisher was no ordinary captain.
Eventually, Bruno's patient vigil was rewarded as Fisher swaggered into the cabin, bearing signs of his recent sojourn in the city. Disheveled attire and tousled hair hinted at his departure from the 'Full Keg' and his nocturnal companionship.
 
"I have to say," he began, circling around Bruno to reach his own seat, "your little 'Fix' is working quite well. If not for it, I doubt we'd be having this conversation."
 
A wry smile played on Fisher's lips as he dropped the knife Bruno had left behind in the tavern the previous day onto the desk.
 
"You left this," he remarked casually.
 
"Thank you," Bruno replied, mustering a smile, though his focus remained fixed on the conversation at hand, rather than the blade that clattered onto the wooden surface. "So, what did you want to discuss with me?"
 
Billy let out a weary sigh and cast a glance at the silent man by his side.
 
"You see this guy?" he gestured towards the figure with a pointed finger. "His name is Marco."
 
Bruno shifted his gaze to the pirate, acknowledging the introduction with a nod.
 
"You see, Marco used to be an orphan. I found him in Meshek, a sprawling coastal city south of here. It may not be a place you're familiar with, but its significance isn't crucial to the story," Billy explained, his voice tinged with reminiscence. "When I first laid eyes on Marco, he was a only six or seven-year-old boy, his spirit broken by hunger. He stood there, throwing pebbles at a fence surrounding some merchant's house. There was a hole, left by a dislodged knot in the wooden plank, and with each throw, Marco aimed perfectly, sending the pebbles through that small opening. I saw it as a wasted talent. No one else recognized his potential. So, I took him under my wing and helped him cultivate his skills. Since then, he's saved my life twice."
 
Billy settled further into his chair, seeking comfort as he continued his tale.
 
"So, do you want to follow in Marco's footsteps? Do you wish to refine your own skills?" he questioned, his eyes fixed on Bruno. "I've been doing exactly that since Marco, with many more young lads. Nathan is just one example. Some prove themselves worthy, while others falter. But yes, I do want to guide you in the same way. I have plans for you, kid. However, I still need to sort a few things out and attend to a couple of matters," Billy expressed, his voice holding a mix of determination and anticipation.
 
"I'm listening," Bruno replied, his attention fully focused on the captain.
 
"Listening?" Fisher's eyebrow arched slightly. "Well then, let me enlighten you about those plans."
 
A mischievous grin crept onto Billy's face as he continued, "Have you ever heard of Harothep?"
 
"No," the boy admitted, curiosity brimming in his eyes.
 
"Deeper to the south from here lies a vast desert known to the locals as 'Almawt,' meaning death. Amidst the relentless winds that can strip the flesh off of both animals and humans, there stands a solitary structure built by mages—an ancient school called Harothep. Only a select few, apart from the students, have ever laid eyes on it," Billy revealed, his voice filled with an air of mystique. "Five years ago, a student from Harothep stole a groundbreaking alchemical creation, known as 'Alchemist's Fire.' It's a liquid that refuses to be extinguished by water. In fact, it burns even more fiercely when doused."
 
A spark of interest ignited within Bruno's eyes as he leaned in, captivated by the story unfolding before him.
 
"And you want that liquid," the young alchemist deduced, his voice tinged with a mix of intrigue and determination.
 
"Yes. We do," Billy affirmed.
 
Bruno raised an important point. "You realize that I'm nowhere near this level of expertise?" he stated.
 
"Of course. There are only three people in the world, excluding those at the school, who know the recipe. One of them is even producing it. The rest of the alchemy world is desperately trying to uncover the secret, but no one has succeeded thus far. You may lack the knowledge, resources, and experience, but what you possess is a unique way of thinking. That's why I'm willing to place my bet on you," Billy explained, his voice laced with confidence.
 
"So, I'm expected to abandon everything else and focus solely on what you want me to do?" the boy clarified.
 
"No. I want you to continue producing your own product, but I also want you to educate yourself. I'll provide you with books, equipment, and ingredients, but when the time comes, you'll have to pay for them. Do you agree?" Billy proposed.
 
Bruno nodded slowly, realizing that this was a chance to expedite his plans and establish valuable connections for the future. It was an opportunity he couldn't afford to ignore.
 
"I agree, but what about Nathan and his plans?" the young alchemist inquired.
 
"That's up to you. You can choose to assist him or ignore him."
 
"What if I decide to ignore him, and he persists?" Bruno further questioned.
 
Billy's smile revealed a hint of amusement. "Well, then you'll have to find a way to make him stop," he suggested.
 
The young alchemist nodded once again, understanding the challenge that lay ahead. "Is this all?" he asked, seeking confirmation.
 
"Yes," the captain confirmed. "You may go. We will speak tomorrow."
 
Standing up from the comfortable chair, Bruno cast a final glance at Marco before making his way toward the door. As he disembarked the ship, stepping onto the cobblestone pathway that adorned the shore, Viki suddenly appeared.
 
"How did it go?" she inquired eagerly.
 
"Good. I have his support for now," Bruno replied, a sense of accomplishment evident in his voice.
 
The girl's curiosity persisted. "And what about Nathan?"
 
The boy shrugged, his expression uncertain. "That depends on him. With Billy's backing, maybe he'll keep his distance. I'm supposed to focus on my education and the product."
 
"He wants to trade it?" Viki asked, surprised by the revelation.
 
"No, not really. He has different plans for me, but I'm not ready yet. That's why I need to educate myself. But I was given permission to continue working on 'Fix'," Bruno explained.
 
"So, what's next?" She inquired, anticipation gleaming in her eyes.
 
"I'm not entirely sure. He wants to meet again tomorrow. After that, I'll be able to tell you more about the plan. But it seems like our focus will be on developing a manufacturing process, securing the right location, and assembling the necessary equipment and workforce, all while continuing to produce the medicine. There's going to be a lot of work," he outlined.
 
"And still no coin," Viki muttered, her disappointment evident.
 
Bruno cast a meaningful look at her. "I'll get you your coin tomorrow, so stop complaining," he assured her, resolute in his words as he began to stride towards the warehouse.
48