66. Ambush
540 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A long military caravan slowly made its way along a wide road, a formidable sight to behold. Rows of soldiers marched in unison, arm to arm, clad in identical iron lamellar armor. Spears held firmly in their hands shields slung across their backs, and sabers hanging from their belts. Tall and imposing, their faces concealed by dark blue cloth extending from their meticulously polished helmets, which gleamed under the scorching sun.

Despite the sweltering heat, these men displayed no signs of discomfort as they marched with unwavering pride, embodying the noble spirit of the royal guards.

Positioned in the heart of the caravan was an exquisite carriage, pulled forward by four majestic white horses. The carriage itself was a vision of beauty, its white exterior adorned with golden accents. Riding on horseback on either side of the carriage were two individuals, their ceremonial armors boasting intricate engravings of mythical beasts, gilded to perfection.

Bringing up the rear was a fifth man, Malik Soltani, clad in humble, unadorned military attire. Despite the monotony of the journey, his eyes scanned the surroundings vigilantly, wary of any potential threats.

At the very end of the procession, carts laden with supplies and camp equipment were pulled by sturdy yet less striking horses. It formed a lengthy line, indicative of the sizable force comprising over four hundred soldiers.

Inside the resplendent white carriage, three figures sat in comfort. One young boy, a young man, and a young girl. The males donned the same white robes, their heads covered by white shawls, while the girl wore a light blue dress. Her head remained uncovered, revealing her lustrous, long black hair neatly braided. They sat in silence, their earlier conversations exhausted after two days of travel, their attention now drawn to the monotonous scenery beyond the windows.

The proximity of the western territories was evident in the golden grass and spindly trees, their branches reaching skyward. Occasional larger trees punctuated the landscape. In the distance, a verdant wall of foliage marked the nearby presence of the River Iz, originating from the Epmond mountain range, its path paralleling the edges of the Almawt desert.

"Men, protect the carriage!" Malik Soltani's booming voice suddenly shattered the silence, instantly igniting a sense of urgency within the ranks. "We've been ambushed!"

Alem was the first to discern the cause of the captain of the royal guards' alarm. The others had not yet noticed. Figures dressed in robes, blending with the color of the grass, emerged from the ground, partially concealed by its cover. They multiplied in numbers, their faces hidden behind strips of cloth, rendering them unidentifiable. With synchronized motions, they extended their arms toward the convoy, their gestures possessing an eerily uniform quality.

As the troops swiftly closed in, row by row, encircling the carriage in a desperate attempt to shield the royal family, a series of explosions rent the air, scattering orange sparks in all directions. The horses reared in terror, their hooves striking the air, yet the riders managed to maintain their grip on the saddles.

At the tail end of the caravan, the carts promptly changed course, veering off the road and hurtling back from whence they came at breakneck speed. It proved to be a reckless choice, as those unfortunate enough to encounter the treacherous terrain, found their wooden wheels shattering under the strain, transforming the situation into a scene of utter chaos. Several carts toppled onto their sides, their contents dragged along despite the peril. Some fortunate drivers leaped to safety, while others found themselves buried beneath the weight of the collapsing structures.

Closer to the carriage, the scene grew even grimmer. The shockwave of force propelled a handful of soldiers into the air, their bodies crashing lifelessly onto the ground. Yet, this was merely a preliminary assault, a disorganized initial strike. What followed was far more devastating. Fiery orbs descended from the heavens, hurtling through the air with a deafening roar, exploding upon impact and engulfing the surroundings in an inferno. Despite the chaos, the soldiers fought to maintain their composure.

Few spellcasters attempted to raise protective barriers, but they crumbled underneath the pressure of the flames raining from the sky before the magic could fully unfold.

Pandemonium ensued as people screamed in a cacophony of terror. Some attempted to charge toward their assailants, only to be obliterated before reaching their targets. Malik Soltani struggled to restore order amidst the chaos, barking orders that were drowned out by the bedlam. Only a select few within earshot were able to react, but their actions proved futile as they too fell victim to the enigmatic powers decimating their ranks.

One spell found its mark, tearing the carriage asunder, and sending the young royal heirs hurtling through the air amid a shower of wooden splinters and glimmering gold embellishments. The two boys crashed onto the road, groaning in agony, flames licking at their surroundings. Zaria fared far worse, propelled through the carriage's shattered door, only to be consumed by another explosive fireball, her form swallowed by the engulfing flames.

Her lifeless remains were obliterated.

Malik Soltani dismounted and sprinted towards Halim, the closest boy to him. Yet, before he could reach the child, another spell intercepted his path, striking the ground and hurling him skyward. He collided with the earth with a resounding thud, his breath forcibly expelled from his lungs. His steed, gripped by panic, galloped back the way it came, leaping over its fallen rider, its hoof striking the captain of the royal guards' helmeted head. Thankfully, the headgear absorbed the brunt of the blow, rendering him unconscious.

As the wall of flames separated the attackers from the soldiers, they seized the opportunity to flee, compelled by the rapidly spreading fire that chased them mercilessly.

And just like that, it was over.

The soldiers swiftly regrouped, encircling the shattered remnants of the carriage, their shouted commands piercing the smoke-filled air. Yet, with each passing moment, the situation deteriorated further due to the thickening veil of smoke.

A few soldiers reached the side of the royal children, dropping to their knees to ascertain signs of life. A profound silence descended, punctuated only by the crackling of the flames. Confronted with grim choices, the group realized they could no longer remain in this perilous location.

24