435 – Pony Up
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***************************

Tomas 'Inhuman Wolf' Travis

 

Trudging out of the command center constructed for myself and the other Generals, I tighten my shirt, making sure all the buttons are in place. I have a guest today. A very... very important one. As I walk toward the section of the city that I had cleared out for their arrival, I stand tall, allowing those able to see me feel comfort.

 

I cannot show weakness, not at this grave juncture. This is our first test as a new people, and it might just be the most difficult of them all. That is, until She awakens.

 

My footsteps are solid, unhurried, and relaxed, but inside, a storm rages. I've learned to manage my countenance perfectly, thanks to my father, but it will never be enough to corral the inside. Fortunately, though, I have three deputies that I could never ask for better.

 

Elizabeth lines up beside me, whispering to me as we walk. Earl struggles to catch up with his cane, that rapid advancement leaving behind a lingering impairment. I don't think he'll recover from the physical weakness any time soon, if at all. But I will treat him like all others. That is the only way he will grow.

 

"He's here. And... he brought 'those' three with him. You are powerful. You got this. Just... don't let them know how weak we really are."

 

The young woman's voice inundates even my muscular form with strength, confidence, and life. Her blooming Power is... one of the more unique ones I've come to see. She is capable of augmenting reality with just her voice. It is beyond versatile. There is practically no limit to what she can do with it, only how far it can be taken.

 

I nod, thanking her with the motion for the help. A second later, Earl catches up. He pants and practically whines in pain, but he doesn't show any weakness. Good. He is growing into a fine young man. The pale face and sweat running down his chin don't slow him in the slightest.

 

"Hey, Tomas! I made another Marshall Protocol. It's only the second one, so I didn't improve too much from the one I gave Wyatt, but the explosion should be a little more localized forward. Still... if you have to use—"

 

"I understand. I will only use it if I absolutely must."

 

Again, I nod in thanks, taking the ball-shaped instrument from the genius. I weigh it lightly, utterly in awe at the destructiveness such an object could hold. He's only made two true ones, but the test bombs were... terrifying.

 

Is it enough? Who knows. It might be. It might not be.

 

"Are Primrose, Rich, and Sylvia in location? If they aren't ready, this thing will be useless even if we need it."

 

Elizabeth bobs her head in agreement, refusing to speak again. If she does, her Declaration runs out. Hopefully, she can find a way around that without just replacing the Declaration to talk. Earl bids us goodbye as he leaves me with a smile.

 

"Okay, I'm going to head back to my shop. I think I'm nearing a breakthrough with... I don't know what kind... but I can just feel it."

 

I pat him on the back as he limps away with his cane. Then, Elizabeth and I turn the corner to the restaurant wherein I had her send my guest to meet. Rich should already be inside, playing his instruments to act like a typical musician.

 

"Are you staying with me for this?"

 

Elizabeth's head bobs up and down again, writing on a piece of paper to show me. I read it swiftly before striding ahead of her to grasp the handle of the glass door to Irene's Cuisine.

 

Yes. This is too important to skip out on. I'll remove my skill if I have to.

 

Before we enter, I meet her eyes, telling her something I've wanted to say for a while.

 

"Good. I expect nothing else. You're good, Elizabeth. If things come to blows, run. Do not help. Just run."

 

Defiant eyes emerge at my words, and I instinctively know that she won't. This young woman... she's following too stringently into the footsteps of giants. Elizabeth is three Sigils too low to be acting like this, but...

 

She's too stubborn. I'll just have to protect her with my life. With her mind and her eventual Power... She would be a far better General than I ever could be. That is what this is all about, after all, leaving the world better than you found it. Father ingrained that into me.

 

Straightening my shoulders, lengthening my back, and preparing for what's inside, I open the door to Irene's Cuisine. I take several steps inside before I spot my guests toward the back of the booths.

 

They are waiting patiently, something I didn't expect. Their eyes are stern but not frustrated. The three figures are intimately familiar to me, but the fourth is only recognizable due to his presence.

 

A short, at most three feet tall, stocky, old man, with inscriptions covering every inch of his exposed skin, including the white of his eyes, is surrounded by a Pygmy woman, a male demon, and a female Nahullo. Those three. Again. My teeth shift to grind against each other, yet I pause the act before they make contact.

 

Nevertheless, the old Pygmy attracts my attention, shoves the hair across my body into action, and stokes the heart within. Painsforge aches in a forgotten pain, remembering how this Pygmy, Tonuyn, once broke Marshall's back in a battle.

 

Luckily, back then, Killian Graves was still in action, and he rebuffed the Dominion after a grueling battle. I wasn't there, of course; I was far too young to even see the battle, but my father has told me it many times.

 

Tonuyn is the weakest of the Demigods in might, but that does not mean he is weak by any metric. His abilities are, by far, the most varied with his inscriptions.

 

"Tonuyn."

 

I address the Dominion with a curt nod, and he returns one. His respectful demeanor is surprising, even as I sit across from them at the large table. Elizabeth remains standing beside me until Tonuyn waves his hand. His voice is strict yet not demanding.

 

"Come. Sit, too. I am not here to fight."

 

A breath of relief begs to be released, but I hold it within. I cannot show any form of weakness. Elizabeth also manages, by some capability, to show zero emotion as she joins me.

 

I position my elbows on the table, meeting Tonuyn's gaze as the three around him remain silent like children.

 

"Then what are you here for? It is rare for another race to come to humans with anything other than ridicule."

 

The Dominion of the Pygmies, their Creator as they call him, raps his stubby knuckles along the wooden table. The noise is crisp, and it almost distracts me from his words.

 

"Many things have occurred in this past month, as I'm sure you're aware. But you humans have been out of the loop thanks to the... Wastes. Ytern has been critically wounded, and the Pale Cavity has been stolen. Leviathan is chasing him down to kill him. I surmise that with his death, something will be fulfilled and that she will rise. Otherwise, there would be no purpose in doing such a thing."

 

My heart rate quickens, the idea of another God rising being a calamitous thing. I raise a short question as Tonuyn takes a moment to tap his daughter's hand, the younger Pygmy attempting to speak.

 

"What about Behemoth?"

 

Tonuyn shrugs with a long-winded explanation about the other Demigod's fate.

 

"I am unsure. The four of us embarked on a journey to the Bridge Of The Gods. The restrictions upon Godhood are weaker there, more so than any other dimension we have found. It's like a... blindspot to Her despite being the resting place for so many Gods, many of them likely to be corrupted. Levi believes the Morning Star resides there, even after all these years, so we went to try and seek the lazy God's aid before Vincent challenged him. Behemoth went missing a month in, and Leviathan went after Ytern there. All this, however, is just a preamble for what I want."

 

I allow myself to inhale a deep breath with all the revelations, and I listen intently to Tonuyn's next words. No matter what they are, they could decide the fate of the entire human race.

 

"I would like if you were to allow these three to enter the Underworld. Young Natos and my daughter have recently advanced to the 8th, the constant battles affording them insight alongside the recently fallen Gods. Only there can these three grow stronger—strong enough to make a difference."

 

So it's the same with the Pygmies, huh? They are just as desperate as we are, huh? I see now. Tonuyn won't attack us. He needs us. Whether it's as allies or support, he needs humanity.

 

But why is he helping a demon and a Nahullo? It doesn't make any sense. Plus, entering the Underworld? How would that even come to pass? Wyatt and his group already took the Death's Lantern down there a while ago.

 

Tonuyn's eyes wash over me while the trio beside him does the same, particularly his daughter, Timemi. Her eyes are harsh, demanding, and arrogant, but they are fearful. Hmm... what is she afraid of? And Tonuyn is more apprehensive than he should be.

 

I raise my hand to my chin as I release a quick hum, giving myself a little longer to think before replying. Tonuyn... I scan him with my eyes again, doing a closer inspection. As I do so, I get a twinge in my gut, the sensation leading me to believe something.

 

Tonuyn is injured. Maybe not massively, but enough to lower his strength to the point he would be less than willing to fight in the capital of humanity. Landing onto this point, I ask a question to direct the conversation.

 

"And why would you help a demon and a Nahullo?"

 

Tonuyn's eyes shift to his side, landing upon his daughter. Timemi, given the chance, speaks with laced words. She is unhappy to be here, and yet... she listens for her father.

 

"They are my companions. Where I go, they go. Together, we are stronger. You are the same, Travis."

 

The Dominion's head nods in agreement, seemingly liking what his daughter has to say. I cannot disagree with her either; it's just exceedingly uncommon for so many different races to bond together. When the other Demigods met to discuss Vincent, I don't think they ever expected such an accord to form.

 

Still, Tonuyn's pupils, stained with unknowable words of Ether, stare unto me. I proposition one last question, not really knowing how to refuse. After all, they aren't asking all that much of us. They just want to use the Gate Of Death, which we have ready access to, but something tells me that might not be all.

 

He's too clever, too experienced, not too. This Pygmy has seen much. So much more than any other human on the surface. All our legends have fallen, and our strongest have left. I have to play this close to my heart.

 

"And how are you planning to get those three into the Underworld? I know you know the restrictions. Death's Lantern is already down there. That is not a route that can be taken."

 

The Creator smiles at me with joy, a hidden light in his eyes. He knows something. Shit. How does he know?

 

"I have heard that you have access to many of Weiss's works. And that you have a young man capable of unraveling them? Surely... together, we could devise a way through the gate. In fact... I bet we can do it in less than a week."

 

I nod slowly, having to give up Earl's expertise. Of course, Tonuyn would know of him. Everyone in Onyx Gate, at this point, knows of the Miraclemaker. Elizabeth beside me shivers slightly, her foot tapping against mine beneath the table of this silent building.

 

"Okay. Well, what's in it for us?"

 

Tonuyn quickly shows me the carrot. Though he only uses his words, I take his promise as set in stone.

 

"I can help that young boy gain an Absolution. Us... crafters develop differently."

 

My heart quickens again, this time in anticipation and excitement. Earl with an Absolution? A Proof would only be inevitable at that point knowing him, meaning... He could become an Angel in the future. I have to take this deal. I absolutely—

 

Tonuyn, despite likely noticing my excitement, lays down the stick as well, to guarantee this transaction. How devious.

 

"If you do not help, I will be leaving with at least two heads. Yours and hers."

 

I place a hand against Elizabeth's knee to calm her. She is plenty capable herself, but this is a threat from a Demigod. They hold a different level of weight.

 

My other hand reaches across the table, opening the palm effortlessly. This is not something I have the capability to refuse. If Lennon was here, there is a chance we would have some more bargaining power, but... We are too weak, and Tonuyn is too clever to be tricked. If it was Behemoth or perhaps Ytern, there is a chance. Leviathan would just read our minds to see the truth, but this Pygmy is simply too wickedly smart.

 

"Very well. You have a deal, then, Tonuyn."

 

A diminutive, wrinkled, and similarly scarred hand to mine clasps with my palm. A wide smile and a simple word seal the deal.

 

"Wonderful."

 

**************************

 

"You sure this was a good idea, Tomas?"

 

Sylvia sharpens a knife beside me on our shared bench while Primrose stands nearby, tapping her feet against the ground anxiously. Earl's... companion flicks her eyes at me accusingly as the other woman directs a question at me.

 

Fuck. I wish I brought Rich instead of Sylvia, but I need him to man the city in case any issues arise while I deal with all this.

 

"It was the only option we had, Sylvia. If I said no... Tonuyn would not have been happy in the slightest, and we cannot afford an angered Demigod in our city."

 

Primrose counters my argument venomously while we watch the outside of Earl's workshop. Her tone is just as poisonous as her Power.

 

"You could have just used the bomb. That would have done it."

 

I ignore her words, knowing her anger is only temporary and conditional. If Earl is okay after this, which I wager he will be, then her fury will subside.

 

My silence only begets more as we all remain quiet, waiting for the two inside the workshop. Timemi, Natos, and Anodra have set up a camp by the Gate Of Death, just waiting for their way through to be prepared. Time passes until I ask Sylvia for an update regarding her cousin and another fellow who ran off.

 

"Do you know where Tyron ran off to? And what's the news on that Autumn girl? Has she been spotted?"

 

Sylvia nods for the latter but not the former.

 

"Autumn was seen a day ago scrounging up survivors from a recent break of monsters from Pained Peaks. I sent Parker to go and retrieve her. As for my cousin-in-law... No idea. He's gone. Likely ran off with some demons or something. Tyron never fit in with other people. He was always more at home in the Wilds."

 

I won't comment on Syliva and Parker's relationship when she mentions him. The woman is already married, but it's common knowledge she hates the bastard, only doing it to get closer to the Harveys as a whole. I can't really blame her, to be honest. Power is Power.

 

Instead, I merely sigh, expecting to have to wait many more hours. It's already been six, but this—

 

A door swings open, and Earl steps out with a wide smile. Immediately, I sense something is different about him, in a good way, before an older man walks out from behind him with a bent back, shortening his already low height.

 

"I got one, Tomas!"

 

I raise a confused eyebrow at Tonuyn, and before I can ask any questions, the old Pygmy speaks.

 

"We have already devised a path through the Underworld. It is so simple I am surprised no one has thought of it before. Actually, Eli probably did. Eh, I'm sure he did. We just have to stop a heart and restart it after dragging the person through. A simple automated cart can do the pulling, and we can have a construct do the pseudo resurrection."

 

My feet meet the ground as I walk toward them, not really affording much care for the reasoning behind escaping the Gate Of Death's odd rulings. Instead, I focus upon Earl.

 

"What do you mean? You got an Absolution?"

 

I can't help but beam with joy as Earl smiles, so energetic in his glee. Tonuyn, beside the young man, joins us with a grin as well. His enjoyment of this is abnormal. Does he like Earl that much?

 

Perhaps. Even Eli seemed to place great care in this young man's future.

 

"Yeah! It's amazing! It's not super destructive or world-changing, but it's—"

 

"It's perfect for him."

 

Earl glances at Tonuyn's compliment before shrugging, focusing back onto Primrose, Sylvia, and me.

 

"Of course it is! Using Ether, I can create elements! It's not like fire or water, but stuff like hydrogen and oxygen! I can only do really small amounts right now, but this opens up so many roads! With enough mastery, I could make Skysbane! Or explosives! I don't even need to outsource the materials! I can just Fabricate it!"

 

I hardly understand the 'elements' he mentions, but I have enough knowledge to understand how incredible this is. I turn to Tonuyn as Earl runs to Primrose, practically shaking with joy. However, he stumbles without his cane, and the woman catches him. With a curt nod to the Angel, I shift my attention to the Pygmy.

 

"You seem to treat that kid genuinely. And how did you two finish so quickly?"

 

Tonuyn's eyes flip from Earl, flaked with respect, to me, a cold feeling. Still, he answers me.

 

"It is rare for someone to be so... drawn to creation. From invention to building, he is perfect for it, both his skills and his disposition. Eli Weiss' Power was about observation. It could be used to aid his creations, but it is not the main purpose. My Dominion and Power lean toward replication and emulation of natural occurrences. That child... I see why Weiss placed a No-Kill order on him. For him to die, it would be a loss to the world at large."

 

"A No-Kill order?"

 

The subject is something I have never heard of, but Tonuyn responds simply.

 

"Between Pygmies, demons, Nahullo, and even the Grayskins, we often communicate. Bounties are shared, information is easily traded, even during war, and we ally sometimes. Though demons are the most uncommon to communicate with, barring the Lords. There are Flee-Orders, Kill-Orders, and No-Kill orders, something my great-great-great-great-grandfather came up with."

 

Tonuyn breathes in deeply for a moment as if remembering an awful, absolutely wretched memory.

 

"Only Desolation and the Cackling Lightning have ever had a Flee-Order upon them. It is self-explanatory. Kill-Orders are common upon those many want dead, like Eli Weiss himself or Marshall Travis. Those who kill them are paid massively by whichever Lord, Creator, Warmaster, or Grayking they show the head to, part of the reason why so many showed up at Bent. As for No-Kill orders, they are upon those who will push the world forward, save us against a future threat, etc. Sometimes, though, it can simply be a demon paying to protect their child or something of the like. There is a No-Kill order upon all remaining Shaws, and as of six months ago, Eli paid Leviathan an exorbitant amount to levy one on this child as she was the only Dominion to listen to him at all.."

 

Tonuyn's words are seemingly always long and information-focused, but I cannot help but do anything else but stare at Earl with amazement. And that amazement doubles as the Demigod shares the price of breaking a No-Kill order.

 

"If one should end the life of one under that order... Leviathan herself will correct their actions, being the one who set it."

0