Chapter 25: Behind the Glass
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

July 28, 4021 18:17 [Matriarch 04- Aegypius Lab]

Vivian felt sick. Standing behind the one-way glass window, she fought the urge to vomit. Indra lay before her, strapped to a surgical table, thrashing about as he snapped wildly at the Vultures. He frothed at the mouth, attempting to break free of his restraints. Situated beside the doctor stood a towering figure, covered head-to-toe in Crow’s Sanitation Gear. He stared into the operation theater with an expressionless gaze, the gas mask shrouding his face. Vivian couldn’t get a good read of his thoughts. Is this really Cecil? He had introduced himself as such, yet not once had he removed the helmet. He certainly didn’t act like him.

“Are you really okay with this? They’re cutting him open like he’s a cadaver!”

The Crow turned to her; the unnerving red lenses only showed Vivian her reflection. She couldn’t see anything beyond his dead stare.

“What would you suggest? The samples will be collected regardless. Would you prefer him alive or dead? And what about the others? Do you want them to face the consequences if you step out of line?” He spoke in a calm manner, although his imposing stature caused Vivian to cower meekly.

The Crow turned his attention back to the room, observing Indra under a watchful gaze as the Vultures attempted to collect the remaining samples from him. Vivian balled her hand into a fist, shaking. Please, just hold on a little longer. The doors to the observation deck suddenly slid open without a sound. Kǔ Shén stepped onto the deck followed by a woman in military attire.

“D-Director!” Vivian hastily greeted him.

“Ah, Dr. Ouma. How is our test subject doing?”

“Vitals are holding steady, although the Amrita is wearing off. We’ll need to sedate him again to complete the sample extraction.”

“Good. And how are you doing today, Cecil?”

The Crow didn’t respond.

“You should answer your superiors when you’re spoken to,” Kǔ Shén’s companion interjected. “And get rid of that ridiculous outfit. You’re a Hyena now. Act like it.”

“I never asked to be promoted,” the Crow replied coldly.

“Now, Grisha, if Cecil wants to wear whatever makes him comfortable that’s his choice, as long as he’s not neglecting his duties. Although, I must say, continuing to wear a Crow’s attire when I’ve personally seen to your promotion…I would think you were trying to be reprimanded for insubordination.”

“What would be the repercussions? Demotion?”

Kǔ Shén grinned, patting him on the shoulder. “Touché. Oh? Looks like our friend is aware of our presence.”

They all turned to look at the glass only to find Indra staring out of the operating theater, a murderous glare directed at them.

“Let’s go,” Kǔ Shén said, motioning for Grisha to follow. They entered the operating theater as the other two watched from behind the glass. The audio feedback was muted as Kǔ Shén exchanged words with Indra. His words seemed to enrage the Homunculus further, going so far as to snap his teeth at the Director. Vivian’s fist shook with rage. What was the point of riling him up, if not for the Director’s personal amusement? She felt disgusted. A Vulture swiftly injected more sedatives into Indra’s neck, causing his movements to become sluggish.

Kǔ Shén and Grisha proceeded to leave the room, the latter flashing Indra a smile before he fell unconscious.

“I like him. He’s tenacious,” Grisha grinned. “If he survives, I’d like to nominate him for promotion.”

“You’re too late. He’s already been nominated. Tengri’s volunteered to mentor him,” Cecil said.

“Seriously?! Ah, I would have loved to train him myself.”

“Don’t get greedy now. You were the one who called ‘dibs’ on the two from Matriarch 05,” Kǔ Shén said.

“Yes, but Tengri got to train the last host as well! Don’t you think you’re showing a little favoritism here?”

Kǔ Shén shrugged. “I let you pick first. If anything, I showed you favoritism this time.”

Grisha grumbled discontentedly.

“Cecil, when the extraction process is complete, I want you to escort the boy while he’s being transported to the hospital for recovery. While you’re there, I’ll need you to stand guard until he’s well enough to leave the facility. Can you do that?”

Cecil nodded, turning his attention back to Indra again who was now fast asleep.

“And Dr. Ouma?”

Vivian snapped out of the daze she had settled into. “Y-yes?”

“Compile the data you receive from these samples and have it ready for me by the end of the week. Understood?”

“Y-yes, I’ll have it ready for you by then.”

“Good. Well, then. I’ll leave you to it. Make sure he doesn’t wake and kill you both while you’re transporting him out of here.”

“He won’t,” Cecil answered curtly.

Kǔ Shén nodded exiting the observation deck with Grisha, and leaving Vivian and Cecil to stand in silence as the Vultures finished up the last of the extraction.

“Do you feel guilty?”

Vivian was surprised; he had not spoken to her unless prompted to during the entire extraction process.

“Of course I do! I never wanted to put him in this situation.”

“Neither did I. But this is what must be done. It’ll buy us time while we prepare an exit strategy.”

“Exit strategy?”

Cecil nodded. “We can’t stay here any longer. Not if we want everyone to survive. I recommended Mirai and the others for placement in the Bloodhound Squadron. Skadi Sól is on the team. Despite her insistence to fight, I doubt Amagi Sól would allow his sole heir to be deployed into a warzone without taking the necessary precautions. Instead of going against his daughter’s wishes, he’ll probably ensure that she’s away from the action as much as possible.”

“That’s all well and good, but aren’t Hart and Gauss with them?”

“That’s what I’m worried about. I can’t get a read on either of them. And I’m worried Gauss might pick a fight with Mirai. I’m almost positive those two will butt heads. I can only hope that Temujin keeps them in line.”

“Do you have a plan?”

Cecil shook his head. “For now we wait and bide our time. We have to have faith that Indra can keep the Other under control.”

Vivian was silent for a moment, the knot in her stomach tightening. “Faith is what annihilated the gods. I think we’ll need more than wishful thinking to survive.”

1