Chapter 4: Purpose?
25 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking under the streetlights, Nero finally reached the house. A woman named Elissa had prevented him from leaving before he gave her his number. Nero eventually agreed and, before returning home, he took a moment to observe the bandits who were fortunately limping and walking toward what was likely a hospital.

Before entering the elevator, Nero asked the girl at the front desk if Ava was going outside. She told him that Ava was not leaving. He went upstairs, opened the closed door, and went in. However, he immediately stopped when he saw two people hugging each other on the couch. One person leaned toward the other, and they appeared to be kissing.

When Nero opened the door forcefully, there was a loud pop, alarming the two people on the couch. The guy who was with Ava looked at Nero and then stood up, walking toward him and yelling, "Who the hell are you!" Ava tried to stop him, but he was too angry to listen and continued walking toward Nero.

Nero had already guessed that the two were in a relationship, so he didn't want to cause any trouble. He raised both hands and said, "Take it easy, I'm related to her..." before the other person swung at him. However, Nero easily stepped to the right and avoided the punch.

Watching him stagger, Nero shifted his gaze to Ava and said, "Go calm him down." He then stepped forward and entered the kitchen. Christopher, after stabilizing himself, wanted to follow him, but Ava grabbed him and said, "Wait Christopher, he's my relative and the owner of this house."

When Nero heard their conversation, he didn't interfere. His hands were moving while he was making himself coffee. "Yeah, I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I thought you'd misunderstand and-" Ava tried to explain, but Christopher interrupted her, "You said you lived alone!"

Christopher then grabbed Ava's hand and said, "No, it shouldn't be like that. You're going to come and live with me right now." Nero heard what the man said and spoke up, "She's not going anywhere, and if you don't let go of her hand right now, I'll throw you out of here."

These words made Christopher stop and stare at Nero furiously. "You asshole, if you don't shut up right now, I'm going to hit you." Ava pleaded with Christopher to stop and said, "Let's just talk."

Nero poured coffee into a cup, turned, and walked over to the two of them. He stood in front of Christopher and spoke, "Well, let's talk. If you don't agree, you can leave, but Ava won't go with you."

"Who do you think you are..." Speaking, he wanted to grab Nero by the collar, but before he could do so Nero's hand grabbed his arm. Feeling the firm grip on his arm Christopher finally calmed down a little.

With a snort, he turned and walked toward the living room, dragging Ava behind him, who was looking at Nero. Nero followed him and sat down across from them, sipping his coffee. He looked at Ava for a few seconds then spoke.

"So are you going to explain to me, or should I call your mother right away?"

Christopher looked at Nero with an angry look, Ava meanwhile heard these words and immediately became agitated and wanted to get up, but Christopher held her back.

"No, please she doesn't know about this. I wanted to tell her, but she's been busy lately so I couldn't tell her. I'll tell her myself so please don't tell her."

Looking at her worried look, Nero thought of her cold face a while ago.

"Then explain what's going on here, who this man is and what he's doing in my apartment." Speaking, he looked at Christopher, then shifted his gaze back to her.

"What do you care, it's her private life so it doesn't fit."

Before she could speak, Christopher spoke from the sidelines in an exasperated tone. Nero didn't say anything, just looked at him for a few seconds, then looked at Ava again.

"That's...that's my boyfriend, we met...two years ago when I came to this town. We've been in touch ever since." She didn't go into too much detail, but Nero didn't want to get too involved either. "And so, is that why you wrote to be late, so you could have some fun with your boyfriend?"

When Nero asked her, she blushed slightly and lowered her head. Christopher wanted to speak again, but Nero did not give him the opportunity. Looking at him, he said, "Okay, it's time for you to go home, and don't come back here yet understood. I'm not saying stay away from her, that's her concern. Just don't do your business in this apartment. And I'm saying again, she has to come home right after school. So I don't want to hear that she got held up because of you, okay?" Speaking without waiting for an answer from the other party, he went to the door and opened it, showing that he could leave.

"You...!"

"That's enough, Christopher, go away tomorrow we'll talk about it," said Ava, unable to tolerate the situation any longer.

Her words blocked out what he wanted to say. Snorting, Christopher got up and walked toward the door. As he passed Nero, he muttered under his breath, "Bastard, you won't get away with this, be careful."

Nero said nothing but rolled his eyes and then closed the door as Christopher walked out. After looking at Ava for a few seconds, he went toward the closet, taking the kinga out of it. He also took the coffee and went towards the other room. When he opened it, there was the previous owner's workstation.

At this time, Ava spoke up. "You're not going to tell my mom about this, are you?"

"No, but let's do something. Download a program on your phone so you can call me for help if anything happens, okay?"

After waiting for Ava to nod, he entered the room and wanted to close the door.

"Hey, I need your phone to do this."

Nero gave his phone, nothing extra on it anyway, and went back into the room. Putting down the book he hadn't finished today, he began to read. As before, his memory was quick to retain all the words on it.

Soon Ava came to return the phone, also checked a few times to see if the apps worked. There was nothing further, although she expressed doubts as to why he was reading a high school level biology book. She still didn't ask a question, but just walked out.

That's how the whole evening went after Nero finished reading this book. He went online and read articles, trying to figure something out. When the time was almost midnight, a message came in from an unfamiliar number, but after reading it Nero realized who it was. It was Elissa.

The message was that she was free tomorrow and would like to thank him for saving her. Sighing at the troubled woman's words, Nero at first refused, but then he received a message saying that she wanted it herself. Rolling his eyes, he texted "okay" and put the phone away. If this woman gets too restless, he will definitely block her.

The evening passed just like the last few times. Nero only read what he understood and gradually deepened his knowledge. Although the fact that he doesn't need to sleep, it's still hard for him. More and more, he feels the difference.

He hadn't thought about it before, but now it's clear to see that the changes in his body are changing his mind as well.

He used to worry a lot, but now it only lasts for a few seconds at most. Once his mind understands it, he can calm it down on his own, and that's it. The more it goes on, the calmer he becomes. One reason is that he no longer has to think about his needs, which frees his mind. Another reason is that his strength allows him to realize he is no longer in danger of certain things that he was before, which also frees his mind.

Sometimes he wonders if this could be the next step of evolution or the opposite of degradation. He reads about these things, going from biology to some philosophical ideas. For example, some say that immortality is a boring thing, coming from movies and the worldview that they have. While others say that, on the contrary, it's the best thing a person can achieve.

Nero wonders if he is now long-lived or immortal at all, given the game hero's ability. There he could rebuild himself from a small part, and given that terrifying regeneration rate, it's possible that his life could be very long. As he flips through the pages, suddenly an article comes before his eyes: "Necessary immortality for exploring the universe."

As he reads the title, his eyes subconsciously look out the window into the sky, though it is dim, with only a few stars. This, too, gives him one thought. As the article says, since the universe is infinite, in order to study it, there must be immortality as a must. While he remembers what the article said, he gets up from his chair and opens the windows. The visibility of the sky becomes much greater. While looking out there, at that empty space, he speaks in a low voice.

"What if...I could give them that chance?"

What if he could use the virus to make people live longer, or even immortal? Of course, that doesn't mean they won't die. If he did that, the world would probably be mired in chaos. He was thinking of making people forever young, but leaving their physical qualities as they are.

The more he thought, the brighter his red eyes shone. In his brain, a plan gradually emerged, along with some thoughts. If he could change himself the way he wanted, could he change other cells without infecting them?

His gaze shifted to the dim moon hiding behind the clouds. That thought seemed to have taken root in his brain. But as he looked at the computer, he wondered. He had a lot to do to get there. If he wanted to achieve it, he would probably also need to undertake some things that would cross the line, both morally and socially.

But right now, it was a spontaneous decision and a creation of purpose. Although he had it all in his mind, he needed to take things slowly. Staring at the moon for a few seconds, he thought the following. If he does this, he needs to change everything carefully. If it fails, everything around him could turn to hell. One of the key things he also wants to test is whether he can change cells other than his own.

Closing the window, he went back to his computer and started looking up everything about viruses. This went on until he finally saw that it was morning. Putting aside his current business, he left the room. After breakfast, he left the house, feeling invigorated.

An idea popped into his head, but before he could act on it, he had to check on the dog. After ensuring that the dog was okay, he started walking around the town. He realized that he needed to find a base for himself and plan out everything he wants to do from now on. However, he wasn't curious about his current level of strength.

Early in the morning, there weren't many people walking down the street. He looked around carefully but couldn't find a place where he wanted to test himself. Suddenly, he noticed a construction site when he spun around. He confirmed that no one was there at the moment and there were no high-rise buildings around, so this place might do the trick.

He jumped over the three-meter fence with ease and began to look around. He didn't see any cameras on the meters or anywhere else, so he had nothing to worry about. The construction slabs were stacked in front of him. Without thinking much, he regretted it and then grabbed the edges and slowly strained his arms. When he had used almost half of his strength, he was able to lift the slab. He put it back carefully and then opened his phone to find out how much it weighed.

Eventually, he found out that it was a two-ton stove. Given that he only applied half his strength, it turns out that he could lift about 4 to 5 tons. Although it's not as much as the hero of the game, he still had to consider that it doesn't devour everything around it.

After confirming his thoughts, he retraced his steps and bought a lot of meat and other ingredients before returning home. Upon his arrival, he saw that Ava was already getting ready for class. Nodding to her, he started to put everything in its proper place. As soon as Ava came out, Nero immediately put down some pieces of meat and started devouring them. As before, everything was gone in an instant.

For the next few hours, he continued reading until exactly 1 o'clock in the afternoon when he received a phone call. Not paying attention to the name from behind his reading, he heard a barely familiar voice on the other end; it was Elissa.

Aren't the chapters too boring?

2