Chapter 2 – At the Schoolyard
2.7k 6 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, it’s the same.”

 

Looking at the school gate, the influx of students, or for more obvious stuff, everything on my way to school, it was the same Sakura High that I attended, and the same district through which I communed to school everyday.

 

So, I am now a demoness straight out from an RPG, but I still had to do virtually the same thing, in the same place.

 

This made me a little bit happy though, knowing that my friends might still be there, even though I am not the same guy they have been playing with anymore, I still believe I knew them enough about them to rekindle a relationship.

 

On the way to school, I have made small talk with Nora the maid, and from what I can gather, this is still the same world, which is Earth, the only difference is that the demonkind which the current me belonged to appeared just six years, in the tundra forest of Siberia. Nora told me that the reason for our appearance is unknown, even by our own people. It seemed that one day they just … appeared with a consciousness.

 

At first, it caused widespread panic among humans, and some of the extremist factions have urged countries to take up arms against the new sentient species. The relationship between humans, who still believed they are masters of the Earth and we demons, were treading on a very fine line. Initial diplomatic effort has been futile, as the human side insisted on very demanding treaties, including several of our specimen for their laboratory research.

 

As the tug-of-war game continued without an end in sight, the human side lost patience, and the Security Council approved of a war against us, in the name of ‘defense of human interests’.

 

Volunteer troops from all over the world joined forces against our meager number. Russia, the nation on whose land we de-facto resided, did not contribute soldiers to this army, but they did not raise a finger against this war either, and let all the foreign troops enter their land on a mission to annihilate us. The odds were clearly not in our favor.

 

However, as it was mostly the case with underdogs, we possessed a hidden trump card, magic. The number and firepower on the human side were staggering, at times outnumbered us in the thousands. Despite all the odds, the destructive power of our magic pushed them back waves after waves, and their casualties started skyrocketing. 

 

The war continued for a good four more years, with all the combatants pouring many many times more than the initial allocated budget. Fearing instability at home and with the colossal loss in both human lives and economic assets, the Council suggested with us a truce. My father, who was nominated the King at that time, took up on their offer, since our side was not unscathed after four years of intense fighting. 

 

The treaties of the truce granted us sovereignty on a small part of territory in the Easternmost part of Siberia, some of Japan’s islands, and a district on mainland Japan to build the castle I was living in and residence for some of our demonkins.

 

A year have passed since the day of the armistice, and as a part of the program to normalize relations, it was decided that I, the princess of the newly founded Demon Kingdom Alovenia, would attend a school for humans in the neighboring district, under both sides’ supervision.

 

“And here we are”, though myself as I entered the school gate, something I have done countless times without paying a lick of attention. However, with a girl in maid uniform next to me, and me myself in the girls’ school uniform for the first time, I could not help but feel agitated. 

 

Soon enough, I could feel all the gazes of the students on me. Damn, being the center of attention did not feel as good as I imagine, it also didn’t help that several of those gazes were not exactly friendly. They started whispering among each other, and even though I might not want to hear some of their remarks, those words just came to me due to my enhanced hearing as a demon.

 

“Is that .. her? Oh my gosh, she is not going to enroll here, is she? I really don’t want to die young.”

 

“Look, she is wearing the same uniform as us. We might have to take classes with her, it seems.”

 

“That bitch and her disgusting demons killed my uncle! They said not even a piece of his body could be found after he was blown up by their petty tricks!”

 

“Uwahh, so scary, I feel like freezing just looking at her face, and that cold-looking maid cosplayer too, scaryyy...”

 

“Heh, on second thought, she totally looks like a closet bitch. Damn, what would I pay to f*ck a princess like this, demon or whatnot. She just looks so goddamn hot.”

 

“Are you serious, man? She might wipe you and your horny d*ck out of existence in mere seconds. I would rather not, to be honest. Still great waifu material, that I agree.”

 

“Hehehe, exactly!”

 

Hearing those words made by the various students who did not give two sh*ts about me just barely yesterday, my expression turned even colder. I swept through them with a piercing gaze, and not until all of them quieted down, did I retract my gaze. Silence enveloped the schoolyard, and traces of fear could easily be seen by those who met my gaze.

 

Damn, what did I do that for?

 

On the outside, I was still remaining a cold and aloof facade, but inside I just wanted to dig a hole deep enough to bury my face in. My body just moved automatically upon hearing those condescending words, even though I would never do anything conspicuous like that in my old body. Nora even added more fuel into my pitt of burning shame, as she whispered into my ear.

 

“That was splendid, Eris-sama. We have to put those cockroaches in place.”

 

Stop it, Nora. I did not need those praises.

 

Trying to suppress my emotions, I strode along with the crowd of students coming to the hall. However, the scenario at the school yard repeated itself, and in a ten meter radius around me, there was not a single soul dared to approach, save for Nora the maid, who was still stared at me with applauding gaze, while occasionally threw a disdainful gaze at onlookers.

 

Really, Nora, you stop this. And why are some of the guys squirming before her gaze? Stop that too, it is really disgusting.

48