Ch7- Kanuki
2.6k 12 118
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I walked into the classroom with Naruto, scanning the room for any familiar faces. Most of the students were already seated, chatting with their friends, while others were still trickling in. My eyes landed on two boys sitting at the back, one with a lazy look on his face, and the other with his hand buried in a bag of chips. Shikamaru Nara and Choji Akimichi.

I made my way over to them, a small smile playing on my lips. "Hey, lazybones," I greeted Shikamaru. "You ready to learn about some sweet ninja moves today?"

Shikamaru let out a low groan, clearly not amused by my antics. "Can't we just sleep through class like usual?" he complained.

I chuckled. "Sorry, bud. Looks like we're stuck here for now." I turned to Choji and gave him a nod. "What's up, big bones?"

Choji's face lit up at the nickname. "Hey, Koushin! Want some chips?" he offered, holding out the bag to me.

I grinned and took a handful. "Aww, Thanks, man. You're always looking out for me."

We chatted for a few more minutes, making small talk about how scary their mothers were, before Yugai entered.

Yugai entered the classroom, effectively ending our conversation. I turned my attention to the front of the room as he began his lecture. It was a typical introduction to the basics of chakra control, but I found myself nodding along with Yugai's words. I'd already learned this stuff from the anime, but it was interesting to hear it again in a different context.

As I listened, I couldn't help but notice Choji's stomach growling. I smirked and leaned over to him. "Hey, Choji. You might wanna grab a snack before class next time. I don't think I've heard a stomach growl that loud before."

Choji turned red and Shikamaru rolled his eyes, but I could see the corners of his mouth twitching slightly. Yugai noticed the commotion and gave us a stern look, which we quickly responded to by focusing back on the lesson.

Despite my casual demeanor, I was actually enjoying the lesson. Yugai was a good teacher, and I appreciated his enthusiasm for the subject. It was refreshing to see someone who cared about what they were teaching, rather than just going through the motions.

As the lecture came to a close, I stretched my arms and let out a small yawn. "Well, that was informative. Let’s go outside for practicals, Shikamaru’s favorites."

"Haha," Shikamaru dryly laughed, already packing up his things.

Choji giggled to himself, still slightly embarrassed about his growling stomach. I grinned to myself as I gathered my own things and headed out of the classroom with Naruto.

Mizuki was waiting outside for a practical lesson, and he, being he, was targeting one poor blond in our class. Ino, nah, she is rich. Me, I am handsome and everyone knows handsome people cannot be poor. Of course it was ugly and orphan Naruto, poor bastard.

“I want you two to go into the forest in pairs, and gather this type of plant.” Mizuki showed a drawing of a plant commonly used in hospitals for burn injuries. Hah! Greedy bastard wanted us to collect plants for his profit, as if I would let him.

“Is this part of the class or a mission from the village, Sensei?” I asked, much to his displeasure.

“It is part of the class of course.” Mizuki said with a red face.

“Good then.” I smiled and he too copied my smile but in the next second, I yelled, “Everyone, I will buy the plants you bring. Each stalk is 100 Ryo.” 

“Really?” Sakura exclaimed in shock, but held her mouth in the next.

“Yup. I will pay cash, so the more you gather, the more you will earn. Of course, Sensei will also give you extra notes due to your success, so win win.” I smiled. Others looked fired up while Mizuki looked at me with bloodthirst. ‘Heh, noob.’

“Koushin, you are with Naruto, this is your area.” He said in rage. I took the map from him and realized what was going on. The area he marked was infested with small animals. Small but territorial. They were a variation of racoons called Kanuki. These little critters resembled a raccoon, but with a bushier tail and a larger size. They roamed the dense foliage and were known for their pranks and hijinks. The Kanuki were notorious for causing mild damages to nearby villages, such as stealing food and ruining crops. They were quite the nuisance, but they were not lethal creatures.

Despite their annoying nature, the Kanuki were also fiercely territorial. They marked their territory with powerful scents that warned any intruders to stay away. If any outsider dared to cross their boundaries, they would face the wrath of the Kanuki. Their attacks were quick and ferocious, but not deadly. They used their sharp claws and teeth to scare off any would-be invaders.

Kanuki have a natural affinity for chakra, and they can manipulate their chakra to enhance their agility and speed, allowing them to easily climb trees and evade capture. They are also highly skilled at using their sharp claws to shred through fabric and other materials, making them a nuisance to villagers who have to constantly repair their damaged clothing and belongings.

The villagers of the nearby villages knew to avoid the areas where the Kanuki lived. They knew not to venture too close to the edges of the forest, or they would face the consequences. However, there were always a few foolish travelers who thought they could outsmart the Kanuki. These travelers often found themselves with torn clothes and a few scratches and bites, but they were lucky to escape with their lives.

The Kanuki were not to be underestimated, as they were a force to be reckoned with in their own right. They may have been a nuisance to the villagers, but they were also fiercely protective of their homes and their way of life. They lived in harmony with the forest, and they would do whatever it takes to defend it.

Now, why did the villages keep the Kanuki just outside of their borders? Three reasons, they were nothing to trained Shinobi. No different from bunnies. They would still attack, but Shinobi could escape without any trouble. Second, Kanuki had innate sensory abilities, and most villages used them as free-workers. Due to their territorial nature, villages allowed them to live close to borders, so when others wanted to sneak in, they would have to pass through the areas Kanuki lived, and by placing a few clever seals, the border team could detect Kanuki and get notified if anyone was wandering around those areas.

The third reason, Kanuki urine, which they used to mark their territories was a fertilizer for plants Mizuki wanted them to search for. Better than best in the market. Combining all of these together made Kanuki annoyingly valuable rodents that villages didn't want to get rid of. But as I said, they were nothing to trained Shinobi, but to a student? Oh, let’s just say, Naruto would be injured all over if he were to venture there alone.

‘So you want to play this way, huh, Mizuki?’

118