Prologue: The Laughing Flame
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A figure walked in the snowstorm, leaving footprints and melted ice with each step. Her coat was made up of patchwork, ranging from shoddy cloth from a potato bag to the hides of legendary dragons, its colours contrasted brightly with the snow.

Behind her a giant beast walked with her, a fox with a bright velvet-scarlet fur coat. Three ebony horns protruded from its forehead, wisps of fire leaking from its teeth’s gaps. Four horizontal slit like eyes wandered around, as if anything can see through the thick storm.

The latter creature had a hint of sleepiness in its gait, while the former was wide awake (and a bit giddy).

“Grrr” The fox growled, it sensed heat moving around them.

“Haha don’t be so nervous you lazy fool, your bald spot is showing!” “Gruf!” “Hey don’t be such a snowflake, there’s already enough snow around. Come on! its just a big lizard” “Huf!” “Fine, fine I’ll deal with it if that’s what it takes you damn furball.”

If somebody heard the conversation, they would immediately think the fox had a spot of bald on its luscious fur coat. But as the storyteller I’ll tell you the truth: He actually doesn’t have one.

“ROOOOAAARRR!!!!” The snow cleared as the dragon sang its war cry. Its massive figure even bigger than a castle was revealed, four big limbs supporting its absolutely gigantic body. Spikes of ice spiralled upwards. Light blue and white ice attribute mana billowed like waves of the ocean from its body; hence the thick snowstorm.

Dragon.jpg

1This was the closest picture I could find

It stared as it evaluated the cloaked figure's threat. The dragon inhaled, taking in and coalescing its mana after sensing the threat to its safety. In its opened jaws an orb of bright cold mana increased in size with a surprisingly fast pace. After a dozen seconds the orb was filling its entire mouth.

“GOOAAAHHH!!!!” The lizard turned its compressed mana ball into a devastating beam of pure ice mana. Pillars and boulders of hard ice formed around its path, slightly glowing with powerful mana. It created another wave of snowstorm that followed its trajectory, stopping light from reaching inside.

“Sorry bud, but calling forth a snowstorm and killing the village’s crops won’t win you any cookie points.” The figure clasped her hands together calling beckoning her authority to emerge. Parting her hands, a line of fire breaching the gap. Its colour was like a rainbow of beauty.

Red, blue, yellow, pink, white, grey, cyan, peach, even colourless fire! They intertwined and danced creating a beautiful harmony. “Aspect of true flame: Destruction” The human whispered.

The wisp of fire shifted from a colourful palette to just the colours of blood crimson and ashen black. She took the mass of power and formed it into the vague shape of an arrow. Her hands pulled back its tail like how one would stretch a bow string.

When she released its tail, the arrow shot forward with astonishing speed, seeming like a single streak of crimson. In its wake snow melted revealing dead grass, wet grass burnt revealing naked ground, and naked ground melted into lava creating a river of fire.

The two attacks collided, both on the level of an ars magna, both could’ve been considered a family line’s magnum opus. An unstoppable force versus an unstoppable force. Highly volatile mana sprayed everywhere wildly from the collision, wild mana rent asunder the surroundings. The sound of battle echoed across the region like a siren of Ragnarök.

But fire always melts ice….. The beam split in its middle as the superior magic won against its opponent, like a cleaver cutting splitting bamboo. Instead of getting weaker as time passed, the flames just got stronger. Devouring mana in the air and from the opposing spell to fuel it further.

The arrow entered the dragon’s maw, exploding into long and slender needles of destructive flame. She watched as the dragon was granted a swift and painless death. “BOOOM!!!” Its now dead body crashed against the ground declaring the battle’s winner. The fox behind her surveyed its destroyed surroundings, and promptly deciding its not its problem to fix.

“See! I told you it would be fine. Now we just have to hope there’s at least a piece of evidence I can bring back.” “*~grumble~*” “Did your belly just grumble! Hah, you must’ve been thinking about eating beast cores again. Alright alright I’ll let you eat its core.”

“I bet that storyteller is laughing his ‘unspecified body part’ off!” She looked upwards her gaze piercing the clouds.

The figure spoke loudly. Having delusions that there were some sort of being watching her and telling her story for everyone to know, how absurd! This isn’t something called ‘The Matrix’. How she suddenly got that ridiculous notion baffles me.

My readers, this is only a sneak peek to the future of this tale. We should start with the beginnings of this person, for this is her story. And it’s a disservice to skip on her start.

0