Chapter 25
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jasmin

 

Jasmin hated the dyeing factory.

She had a terrible night. She fainted twice. And this despite a cloth over her nose. An itchy rash had formed on her hands. A response to one of the many colors used in the factory. Vampire skin was rarely prone to allergic reactions, but Jasmin was one of the lucky winners. Her skin burned and her eyes watered even after she had long since gone home.

At the factory, her uncle showed his best, ingratiating side. But behind closed doors?

He had beaten her when she dropped a plate after work due to her aching and itchy hands. Her parents were both at the tailoring shop at the time. They hadn't noticed anything. And Jasmin didn't want to tell them either. For what? They couldn't help her. No one could. Her family had a good reputation. Who would believe her? Jasmin had to help herself! Therefore, she made a decision. She wouldn’t stay in this house.

Two hours after sunrise, when her family was already asleep, she packed a small bag with the things that were important to her. She climbed out of the window in broad daylight. Her family didn't hear her. Jasmin hurried. She would have liked to run. She hurried quietly along the streets. The sun was blinding. The harsh light hurt in her eyes, which were made for the night. Nevertheless, she continued to run. Jasmin knew where she wanted to go.

The Owl.

If she had to, she would wait outside the door until the sun went down. That didn't bother her. She hoped that Killian's family would take her in. There was no one else to help her. Her former friends had all left the city.

During the day, the streets were empty. No one was on the road. No one would see her. No one would warn her family. Until she came to the human quarter. An elderly lady bathed in the sunlight. She was sitting on a rocking chair outside her front door. When she spotted Jasmin, she smiled. "Shouldn't you sleep, child?", she asked.

Jasmin stopped for a moment. "And you?"

"We humans are made for the sun." The lady winked at her. "And I'm old. I'll stay awake as long as I want."

"I suppose you are right", Jasmin agreed. "Enjoy the sun." Then she hurried on, without waiting for the lady's answer, until she finally saw the bookstore. The lights were on in the sales room. Relieved, she ran to the door and knocked.

"Jasmin!" Killian's mother opened the door for her. "What are you doing here? At this time! You belong in your bed!"

"May I come in?" She began to cry with relief. She had done it.

Lana blinked. "Of course. Come. Did something happen?"

Jasmin nodded. And then, crying, she told her everything that had happened in the last few hours. For the first time, she told someone outside the family how bad it was at home. How bad it had gotten in recent years. Lana shook her head, stunned. "You can, of course, stay with us. We have a guest room. Come on!", she said, leading her through a door in the bookstore, which was somewhat hidden behind the counter. From there they went up some stairs to the family's apartment. "But surely your family will look for you?"

"Possibly. Why are you awake?", asked Jasmin, sobbing.

"Oh. I couldn't sleep. Then I always clean the shop."

The small apartment was simply decorated. But Jasmin was too tired, too exhausted, to look around. Lana led her into a small guest room. She shook up the bed and drew the curtains to darken the room. "You can sleep here. Do you need anything? Water? A nightgown?"

"Water would be good. I brought a nightgown with me", Jasmin replied. "Thank you."

"Sleep well. Everything else can wait until tomorrow!" Lana stroked Jasmin's hair, she flinched, then Killian's mother left her alone with a worried expression.

In the evening, just as the sun had set, Jasmin was woken up by loud screaming. Confused, she looked around. The room wasn’t hers, the bed too. Strange pictures hung on the walls. Simple, framed drawings of horses and unicorns. One picture looked like a child's drawing. In her home, no pictures adorned the walls. Trembling, she clutched the duvet. What was wrong with her? Where was she?

"Killian! Give back my hairbrush!" That was Angelika's voice. Jasmin sighed. Now, she remembered where she was. Yawning, she climbed out of bed on shaky feet and opened the window. The air smelled of rain, but not a single raindrop was in sight.

"What? Jasmin is here?" That was Angelika's voice again. "Where?"

"Yes, that’s why have to be quiet. She is in the guest room. Let her sleep", Jasmin heard Lana telling her daughter. But it didn't help. The door to the guest room was flung open, Jasmin flinched again, and the girl ran up to her, and hugged her tightly. "Good morning!"

Jasmine quickly recovered from the fright. Here, she was safe. So why was she afraid? "Good morning. How do I deserve this greeting?"

"Killian spoke in his sleep! He said he wanted to marry you!", the girl squealed.

"I didn't!", shouted Killian from the hallway.

"You did!" Angelika roared back, which made Jasmin flinch again. Angelika didn’t notice. At the same time, Jasmin blushed a little. Marry?

"Come on, there's breakfast!" Angelika took her by the hand and dragged her through the apartment, past Killian, who was also red, to a modest dining room. "Are you just visiting?", the girl wanted to know as she pulled Jasmin to a chair. The table was already richly set. There were rolls, cereal, and scrambled eggs. In addition, juice, and tea.

"Something like that", Jasmin murmured and sat down on the chair in a sudden daze. A delightful, normal, breakfast. Was she allowed to eat here? "I didn't know where to go."

"Why is that?"

"Angelika? Don’t be nosy!", Mert scolded. He came into the dining room yawning and placed a coffee pot on the table. "Good morning, Jasmin. Lana told me what happened. You can stay with us as long as you want."

"You live with us now? Great!", squealed Angelika. "Killian! Now all you have to do is marry her!", she shouted to her brother, who was entering the dining room. "Like in your dream! Oh! Jasmin! Please! Say yes! Marry me! Let's make 500 kids!"

Jasmin flinched again, which Mert noticed with concern. He looked at her concerned.

"What? Wait!", Killian growled. "I certainly didn't say that!" Angelika shrieked and tried to escape from the room. She escaped Killian as he tried to grab her. He ran after her.

"A normal morning at our house!" Mert muttered, shaking his head. "Would you like coffee? Jasmin? Unfortunately, we don't have blood. Please, forgive the noise."

"Coffee. Thank you." Jasmin held out the cup in front of her. Meanwhile, Killian was busy chasing his little sister around the apartment. She could hear the two of them screaming and laughing. The screams reminded her of her uncle. But everything was fine here. She was safe.

Mert nodded. "How do you feel?"

"I’m okay", Jasmin lied. "Just tired."

Mert didn't believe her, it was easy to see, but he just nodded. Again. "Good. Rest today, okay?"

"Let's eat. The monkeys can't be stopped anytime soon anyway!" Lana put a fruit bowl on the table and sat down next to her husband. "You can relax today, will you? Would you like to take a warm bath later? I can prepare the tub. And I'll buy some blood for you. Mert and Killian take over the shop. You don't have to worry about anything. Which blood do you like best? I buy a bottle after taking Angelika to school. You'd think she'd be old enough to walk on her own... But if I don't bring her, she won't arrive at school."

"She's dawdling", Mert added.

Jasmin blinked. All of a sudden, she felt overwhelmed. "But I can't just hang around in your apartment..."

" Of course, you can. Or you can keep our other guests company. Downstairs in the basement. Killian said you met them", Mert suggested. "We plan to smuggle them out of the city soon. At the moment, however, they are still being searched for. And at the same time, our neighbors have now also taken in a family of wolves that escaped the border guards. They claim that the refugees are criminals. Such nonsense. These are desperate people."

"You can help me." Killian came back into the dining room. Angelika dangled over his shoulder, scolding. "When I take our guests out of town. However, it is still unclear when."

"Killian! Mert! That's too much!", snorted Lana. She noticed Jasmin becoming increasingly pale.

"Let me down! Or I'll take you somewhere!", grumbled Angelika. Laughing, Killian put his sister back on her feet. She stuck her tongue out at him and sat down next to Jasmin. Killian just rolled his eyes. "My best friend helps me. But more help is always appreciated. We want to establish a settlement in the forest. For refugees. Well hidden. But we haven't found a suitable place yet. But you don't have to help..." Worried, he leaned over to her. "You're pale."

Jasmin shook her head. "I'm fine."

"Killian? What do you mean with 'we'?", Mert muttered. "I'm the one who walks through the forest during the day, looking for a clearing or some other suitable place."

This, at least, explained why Mert always seemed so tired. He slept too little. "Why a settlement?", asked Jasmin, taking a sip of coffee. Everything was spinning.

"Because more wolves might come", Angelika replied. "Haven't you heard stories about the Witch Queen? She's dangerous! I would flee too!"

Flee? She did. She was a refugee. Jasmin felt sick, but she tried to ignore it. What was wrong with her? "That's probably true." Jasmin looked at Lana. "And how is it supposed to work?"

"Oh. Well, we need help, of course. A few of our neighbors and friends are informed. The ones we can rely on." Lana sighed. "But we can talk about that another day."

"It's okay. I'd like to know." And that was true. Jasmin wanted to know what was to happen with the wolves. She felt strangely connected to them.

"Good." Mert pushed the bowl of scrambled eggs to her, but Jasmin was not hungry. "We want to take in refugees and bring them to the settlement. If there are more. But two families are already here. And they said they weren't the only ones who wanted to flee. The wolves agree to live in a settlement in the forest. They can't wait. But we need to be careful. And more help is always welcome!" Mert poured some milk into a bowl that he had previously filled with cereal. "But you've had two bad days. Get some rest. Read a book or drink hot chocolate. Make yourself at home."

Could she do that? Could she feel at home here?

"And marry Killian!" Angelika added solemnly. Killian snorted and threatened to pour his coffee over her head. Angelika didn't want a coffee shower. So, she jumped up and hid behind Jasmin. Instinctively, she hugged the girl. "Don't!", she whispered.

Laughing, Angelica hugged her. "No coffee should be poured on cute children!", she scolded. Killian, on the other hand, frowned. "Are you alright?", he asked Jasmin.

"Yes." Jasmin petted Angelika's dark hair. The two were just joking. It was all good. "But I'm happy to help. Only... I'm a little worried about my family. What if they come here?"

"Then we'll send them away", Mert muttered. "You're safe here." His gaze wandered to the clock on one of the walls. "Angelika? Eat up quickly. You have to go to school."

Angelika moaned annoyed.

A little later, Lana took her daughter to school, and Mert went to the store. Killian stayed behind in the apartment with Jasmin.

"Don't you have to go to the store?", she asked.

He shrugged. "I promised Mom that I would make sure you had everything you need first. And to show you the apartment."

"How nice." She tilted her head and looked at him.

"What?" Killian asked nervously.

"I remembered you. We used to play catch at the market when we were kids", she said. "That was a long time ago."

Killian grinned. "And I thought you had forgotten me! I haven't forgotten you."

"You didn’t?"

He shook his head. "How could I? You were the princess of my dreams for years. A childish crush. You are far more wonderful than a princess. I recognized you right away."

"Oh." Jasmin blushed again. "I'm not wonderful."

"You are. Sorry for the chaos. Are you okay?"

"You've already asked me that." Jasmin sighed. "I'm fine now."

 

Bild

We're starting to get close to the end of this little story. ;-)

0