Chapter 26
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kevina

 

She and Telman celebrated in the guest room. And there were plenty of reasons to do so:

First of all, there was Princess Coletta, who had managed to humiliate her family and had thus guaranteed to remove herself from her right to the throne. In addition, Telman had just made a wonderful deal with another jewelry shop that made special buttons out of crystal. He had bought the patent from them in order to produce them not only with crystal but also with glass. This could earn him and Kevina another fortune. Telman learned about the success of the negotiation through a letter from his secretary. And he wanted to celebrate this success. Just like Kevina.

However, there was also something they weren't happy about. They had hoped to be able to attend the Council meeting. To prove their skill and wisdom in politics and thereby win the loyalty of the Council. After all, in addition to her grandparents, the council also had to approve the election of an heir to the throne. Kevina was to become queen. And for this, they fought hard. She was the eldest grandchild. Surely the choice would fall on her. And the Council should agree.

But she and Telman had been denied participation. Of course, her grandparents were happy about the visit, but they did not allow them to do what Kevina longed for.

Traditionally, the council did not allow spectators who were not officially considered the heir to the throne, was stated as the reasoning. But Kevina remembered attending a council meeting as a child. As a spectator. So, why not now? If exceptions were possible?

Nevertheless, they celebrated in their guest room. Telman had stolen several bottles of wine from the wine cellar, with which the two had their fun now. But at the same time, they were annoyed. Drunk, they kissed and danced through the room that Kevina had called hers since her childhood. Telman was completely naked, unlike Kevina. Only her hair was disheveled from Telman's stormy kisses.

"I think I need some fresh air", Kevina yelled after a while. "Are you coming with me to the ... Ou... outside?"

Telman shook his head. "I drink up this treasure and wait for your return. Beauty! Goddess!" With the last bottle of wine, he lowered himself onto the bed. "Cheers to my queen! To ME! I'm so... beautyyyfuuuul... No. You are beautiful. I'm a frog. A cute little frog... With wine! Wiiiiine. Froggy wine!"

The bedding rustled. Confused, one of the servants looked around. A very cute, handsome, and also naked servant. "Did I fall asleep?", he muttered. He, too, was drunk. Kevina smiled at the sight of him. Telman hadn't promised too much. This servant was cute.

"Oh!" Telman grinned at him with drunken happiness. "Hello, my beautiful one! How about some more fun? Kevina lets me a... alone!"

"Hmmm", the servant grumbled. "Prince Telman! Cheers to your well-being!" He took the wine bottle from Kevina's husband's hand and took a sip. He clumsily spilled half of it. Red wine flowed down his chin.

"Yes!" Telman sat up to kiss the naked servant. He spilled the rest of the wine while doing so and soaked the duvet. "Cheers to me! No! Kevina! To you!"

"Have fun!", Kevina murmured, staggering out of the bedroom. Telman had invited the servant to their little celebration. Drinking wine, Kevina had watched her husband and the servant having fun in bed. Until Telman decided that it was time to pamper Kevina a little and the servant fell asleep.

 

Franka

 

She was worried about her sister. Two days ago, Coletta had come back disheveled in the early hours of the morning. When asked where she was, she reacted dismissively and went to bed. And since then, she has been very cold towards Franka.

Something had happened.

But what?

The king and queen had also noticed Coletta's sudden change in behavior. But even the two did not know what had happened. After breakfast, there was an argument between Coletta and her grandparents. The newspaper had to tell a lot about her little trip to a pub. A royal scandal. Coletta apologized at the end of the argument, but Franka couldn't shake the feeling that this wouldn't be her sister's only slip.

Sighing, she sat in the library and read an old history book. The book was boring, but it distracted Franka from her worries. It was about the history of the Bluthof family and the founding of the country. Things Franka had already learned as a child. But there were details in this book that were unknown to her. For example, the original royal family was dethroned by a coup. The entire family was exterminated by a single family, which thereafter bore the name Bluthof. The whole thing had been four generations ago. At a time when there was still a mortal on the throne of the witch queen. And at a time, when humans in the marshland were considered only as a source of food.

"Dear?" The queen entered the library with quiet steps.

"Oh. Grandma!" Smiling, Franka put her book away. "Can I help you?"

"No. I just want to spend some time with my granddaughter. Will you accompany me to the garden? I need some fresh air."

"In this weather?", Franka said. It had been raining lightly since the early evening hours.

"It doesn't matter. Will you join me?"

Franka agreed, and the two made their way to the magnificent garden. There, they walked along the cobbled paths until they came to one of the many fountains of which the queen was very proud. At the edge of the fountain sat stone images of her and the king as a young couple. Kevina was also in the castle garden. They saw her admiring some flowers a bit further away. Kevina swayed a little as she walked.

She and Telman did not plan to leave until the next night. They had hoped to attend the upcoming Council meeting. But their grandfather had denied it to them. Franka didn't know why.

"Well, my child. I'm sure you know that another important council meeting was held today", said her grandmother after some time in which they had enjoyed their walk in silence.

"Yes. It was to change some laws, right?"

"Right. To make life easier for our human population. So far, it's hard for them to marry vampires. The last of our outdated laws regarding humans urgently needed to be changed. Until now, the vampire's parents needed to agree to a marriage with a human. Such nonsense! The law dates back to a time when our ancestors considered people to be inferior." Her grandmother snorted. "But that wasn't all we talked about. The adoption law also had to be amended. Humans can also provide a good home for young vampires who have lost their parents. And another, more important issue had to be discussed."

"Oh, yes?" Now Franka got all the more curious. "Something good? Or something bad?"

"Something good. Your grandfather and I have now officially decided the succession to the throne." Neda stroked Franka's light curls. "We want to leave the throne to you. Your grandfather and I will not burden your stepfather with the throne. When our reign ends, with our death, he too will be old. Old and gray. The kingdom needs someone young. It needs you."

"Me?" Surprised, Franka sat down on the edge of the throne.

The queen sat down next to her. "We want to announce our decision at the ball. If you agree?"

"What?" Kevina stepped out of the shadows indignantly. "Franka will inherit the throne?" She swayed and slurred. Was Kevina drunk?

"Ah! Kevina, honey." The queen smiled at her eldest granddaughter. "Would you like to keep us company? How long have you been here? At the well?" She wouldn’t get an answer to that.

Kevina shook her head. "Franka? This is madness! Your Majesty! I’m your biological granddaughter. But if you don't want to see me on the throne, appoint Heinrich! Not a princess only by marriage! She's not a real Bluthof! And she's only nineteen! A child! A child is not up to such a task!"

"Kevina? Dear? Are you questioning the decision of your king and queen?" Neda shook her head.  "I'll be happy to explain our motives to you."

Kevina defiantly crossed her arms like a teenager. In the process, she almost lost her balance. "And those would be? Your Highness? What makes you think that the nobility would respect this decision? That you prefer the former mob to your blood? The mob!"

"Mob? Kevina? You're exaggerating. You're an adult, please behave like that", the queen reprimanded. "Heinrich doesn't want the throne. That's what he told us. And you, my dear, would not be up to the task! The king and I have decided for the good of the kingdom. The Council agrees with us. The nobility will agree with us."

"Not up to it? I?", Kevina shrieked. "I'm not up to the task? This is nonsense! I know every law! I've been preparing my whole life to be queen one day! I’m your firstborn grandchild! I! I got married early to be worthy of the throne in your eyes! To show you that I'm ready!"

Franka stared at her stepsister in shock. She had never seen Kevina like this before. Hysterical and raging. The queen looked at her disparagingly. "Kevina? You will never sit on the throne. Stop the childish drama. You're making a fool of yourself."

"Kevina?", Franka asked, shaken, as her stepsister tried again to keep her balance. "Do you want to sit down? You might fall. You're not feeling well."

"I'm fine, Franka! A fool?" Her older sister stomped her foot on the ground. Her breath smelled of red wine. "Certainly not. Martha's daughters are the fools! Coletta brought us a scandal to the castle! Coletta! Not me. And Franka? She's just like her sister! Former mob! Common people! Not worthy of a crown!"

"Kevina!" The queen snorted angrily. "Please, go to your room and sleep off your intoxication. You're out of your mind!"

"No." She pulled at her hair and looked at Franka, drunk and hateful. "Her Majesty has clearly become too old for the throne! Otherwise, she wouldn't give it to you! The daughter of a bitch! A whore that slept her way into Father's heart!"

"What?" Franka turned pale. "Kevina? You don't really mean that. You've drunk too much."

Kevina grinned. "Did you know that your stupid mother was pregnant a year after the wedding? She and Dad hadn't planned it. Neither of them wanted any more children. Well, the matter was settled after four weeks. And since then, she has been barren. A doctor has confirmed it! One more proof that this woman's brood does not belong in the royal house!" Kevina spat at Franka, and she ran away swaying. She almost fell into one of the many bushes. "At least Father got what he wanted", Franka heard her scream.

"Kevina..." Franka murmured, looking at her grandmother.

"Oh, child!" The queen cleaned Franka's clothes with her coat. "I don't know what got into Kevina! My poor sparrow!" She hugged Franka, who shook her head in shock. "We were expecting Telman to make a scene. That's why we didn't let him, and Kevina attend the council meeting... But I didn't expect Kevina to behave like that. It must have been because of the alcohol. And because of... The poor girl."

"Is it true? About Mom?", Franka whispered.

"Unfortunately, yes. We deliberately didn't tell you and Coletta. It was bad. And you were so young." The queen sighed. "Someone had poisoned her night tea. Traces of poison were found in her cup. But no one knew who did it. The staff was questioned, but that didn't lead to anything. Kevina wasn't home that day. She stayed at a friend's house. At the time, she was shocked when she heard about it. No one knew anything, and there were no other traces of the poison. After that, your parents replaced all the staff. To be safe." Neda brushed a few strands of damp hair from her face. Slowly, the rain increased. "We never found out who did it."

"Oh no!" Franka shook her head. Was it Kevina? No. She wasn't capable of that, was she? And she wasn't at home... Franka remembered that her mother had been ill for a while, and that suddenly new staff was working at the property. So, that was the reason. But why? Because of the succession to the throne? Hatred towards commoners? "I accept the throne", Franka murmured sadly. "But I don't know if I'm really up to the task."

The queen nodded and kissed Franka's forehead. "You move into the castle, and from now on you take part in all council meetings. At first, only as a spectator. You're still young. And you could go to university. Study politics. Would you like that? The crash course? Forget Kevina's words. She will calm down. And she will apologize. It must be due to the wrong diet. I heard about the fact that giving up on drinking blood can also lead to aggression and insanity. In rare cases... Another reason why I can't leave the throne to her. And then all the alcohol. She literally reeked of it."

"Good." A few tears rolled down Franka's cheeks. Franka wasn't angry at Kevina. She felt sorry for her. And yet, she hoped not to have to see her stepsister for the time being. Preferably never again. Her words hurt.

She and the queen sat by the well for a while until the rain completely soaked them and they could no longer stay outside. They ran across the wet path into the castle. There, one of the castle guards rushed to meet them. "Your Highness! Princess! There was an accident!", he shouted, stopping in front of them, frightened. "You're wet!"

"What kind of accident?", asked the Queen. Water dripped down her hair. She looked like she was crying.

"Princess Kevina and Prince Telman stole a carriage and horses. Eyewitnesses report that the two appeared to be heavily intoxicated." The young man stroked his hair restlessly. "When they left the castle, another carriage came towards them. They needed to evade. In the process, the carriage overturned."

"And Kevina?", Franka asked, frightened. "My sister? Her husband?"

The guard shook his head. "Princess Kevina has broken her neck. She died instantly. Prince Telman passed away shortly after help reached the carriage. He had several broken bones and probably died of internal bleeding. He didn't drink any blood, right? Therefore, his body was not able to stop the bleeding on its own. Otherwise, he might have survived. The occupants of the other carriage are only slightly injured. They said that the princess's carriage was going too fast. They couldn't avoid them. Kevina and Telman were holding the reins."

"Oh no!" Franka shook her head and burst into tears.

 

Bild

Goodbye, Kevina and Telman. :-(

0