Chapter 27
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Franka

 

 

The family was in deep mourning. Kevina and Telman were dead. Franka didn't know what to feel. Should she cry? Laugh? Scream? All at once?

After the terrible accident, Franka and Coletta immediately returned home. Her stepfather sat sadly in front of the fireplace, without a fire burning in it. Throughout the day, he did not leave the spot. Coletta did not leave her room at first.

Two days after Kevina's death, Heinrich and his parents had visited their family to offer their condolences. Franka had collapsed crying in Heinrich's arms. Feelings of guilt ate her up from the inside. She had wished she would never have to see Kevina again. But she didn't want THAT. She did not wish her stepsister dead. She loved her sister.  Besides, Kevina had been drunk. Maybe she didn't mean everything or some of the things she said? Franka would never know.

And Coletta? Rumors said that she had done more in the pub than just dancing with different men. Her sister denied this. But no one cared much about this scandal at the moment. Coletta read books and sneaked out of the mansion just before sunrise. Franka didn't know where she went.

Her mother and stepfather were preparing for the funeral. Together with Telman's family. And this led to abundant strife. Kevina had caused a scandal before her death several servants saw her and Prince Telman drunk and some had heard her hurtful words. According to royal protocol, she was therefore not allowed to receive a large funeral. The same was true of her equally drunken husband. According to rumors, he and Kevina had some fun with a servant. Said servant kept silent about it. Nevertheless, he had been fired. But the von Moosbach family wanted to say goodbye to their son with pomp and many guests.

They didn't seem to care about the protocol of the royal family. They had lost their son and daughter-in-law! They would never accept a tiny celebration in silence. Screams rang out in the salon of the estate. Prince Tenner burst into tears in anger. Franka stayed out of these discussions. She sat on one of the many wide windowsills and stared outside.

And then there was the matter of the ball, which the queen was planning. And Franka's move to the castle. This would take place one month after the funeral. So that Franka had time to grieve with her family. Their Majesties visited their son and his family. They had all the windows of the castle hung with dark fabric. The royal family was in mourning. At first, Her Majesty wanted to skip the ball, something the King was very much in favour of, but Franka objected and prevailed. Kevina loved balls. Therefore, she wanted to celebrate this ball. With pomp and splendour. For Kevina, even though she had been a terrible sister.

She was still Franka and Coletta's sister. And Franka missed her.

And so it was agreed that the ball was only shifted. By a week. With that, it would take place after the funeral. With several days apart.

Franka's new ball gown had already been sewn. Poppy had done a great job. Franka was already looking forward to wearing her dress. It was waiting for her in the castle. Just like Franka, Poppy would live in the castle. Just as they had agreed with the queen.

Coletta began her studies at the university in a month. Martha hoped that this would dissuade her from stupid thoughts. Economy and law. Coletta stayed silent about this. Franka also planned to go to university for a while. She wanted to take advantage of the short courses in the field of politics. Her best friend was already looking forward to it. Perhaps, it was possible that the two shared a room during this time. The university had already accepted all three girls. Matching rooms were currently arranged and equipped with the highest level of comfort.

But all this was overshadowed by the terrible death of her sister.

 

Jasmin

 

Her mother showed up at the front door a few days later, just before the bookstore closed. She was carrying a large bag. Surprised, Jasmin came outside. Killian accompanied her anxiously.

"Mom. What are you doing here?", she shouted.

"Jasmin! You're here!" Her mother hugged her stormily. "I wanted to look for you sooner, but... Are you okay? I've packed the rest of your things!" She clasped the bag with one hand. "Your uncle announced that you don't need to come home. He says you're no longer part of the family."

"Oh." Jasmin nodded and rested her head on her mother's shoulder. "It doesn't matter. I don't plan to come back."

"She's staying with us", Killian muttered, taking the big bag from her mother.

"That's very friendly of you", Lara told him politely. "Thank you." Then she let go of Jasmin. "I'm proud of you. No matter where your path takes you. But... Are you sure?" She looked skeptically at Killian for a moment. "They're humans."

Jasmin nodded. "Thank you, Mom. I'm sure. And you know where to find me."

"That's right." Tears rolled down her mother's cheeks. "Poppy won't be coming home either. She sent you a letter." She reached into her coat pocket and held out a small envelope to Jasmin. "Your uncle brags about her success as if it were his."

Jasmin took the envelope confused. "Poppy is not coming back?"

"No. She remains in the castle. As Princess Franka's private seamstress."

"That's good, isn't it?", Killian chimed in. "Jasmin said it wasn't particularly… friendly …  in your house? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. It's my family." Her mother nodded. "And Poppy... It's a great honor. Also for our family. But we will all miss her. Also at the tailoring shop. There’s more to do now. For me and for Willow. My sister-in-law", she politely explained. However, she looked at Killian slightly condescendingly. "I have to go now. My brother and Jasmin's father are coming home soon. My brother wouldn't approve of me checking on my daughter. Thank you so much for allowing her to stay here." She kissed Jasmin's cheek and hurried away.

"He won't approve?" Killian snorted and put his arm around Jasmin's shoulders comfortingly. "I like your uncle less and less. Your parents should move out."

"I don't like him at all", Jasmin murmured. She was free. Would her parents move out? Or were they too proud to do so? Especially her mother...

And Poppy?

Poppy was free.

Free and safe.

 

Jasmin is free.

0