Chapter 29
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jasmin

 

The sun slowly rose and enveloped everything in golden light. Jasmin blinked and tried to protect her sensitive eyes from the bright light. She was nervous. Her hands trembled slightly.

Mailo put hay and pillows in the hay wagon of his parents' small carriage. They owned a simple barn, a large horse stable, and two pastures on the outskirts of the city. They rented the pitches to the rich vampires of the city so that they could accommodate their horses there. Mailo could also ride a horse. He promised Jasmin that he would take her with him one day and that he would also teach her how to ride a horse when the opportunity arose. She was looking forward to it.  He had, as he said, a very gentle white horse. In addition, his family owned two large, strong horses that pulled carriages and hay wagons. Mailo explained to Jasmin that the two were called 'Schnubsie' and 'Pupsie'. His horse was called 'Mrs. Meyer'.

She also briefly met Ole, who brought them some warm blankets for the werewolves. Ole was a good head taller than Mailo and Killian. He had broad shoulders, dark hair, and a round nose. And it was absolutely clear that he adored Mailo.

He was very friendly to Jasmin. He asked her three times if she was okay. Jasmin was doing well. More than just okay. She had her own warm room, lived with a wonderful family, and could do good. What did it matter that she flinched at loud noises, and arguments? That would pass... One day.

The wolves would be happy about the blankets, as autumn was coming to an end. It had become cold. Even if wolves did not freeze easily, they would need the blankets. Here in the swampland, it could get very cold. Colder than the wolves were used to. Jasmin tried to warm her hands in the thin pockets of her coat. Even the pink silk scarf that she wore helped hardly helped against the cold.

In addition, there were some supplies, vegetable seeds, and four simple tarpaulins for tents in the hay wagon.  And also several hammers, three saws, many nails, and three old pots and two pans. Killian and Jasmin planned to stay in the forest for a few days to help build the new settlement. All these things had been brought to them by Nicklas and Killian's grandmother. Since the soldiers had disappeared from the city, they were finally able to leave. And they wanted to do this as quickly as possible. The wolves in particular feared that soldiers of the Witch Queen could reappear in this city.

Mailo's task was to drive the hay wagon back later and pick up Jasmin and Killian in a few days. Then, he would bring more supplies and other things to the wolves.

There was only one other hurdle. The road toll! But they had come up with a story for the soldiers. In addition, the annual horse market held in the neighboring village was extremely convenient for them.

The two wolf families were nervous. They waited in the basement of the bookstore to be smuggled out of the city. Killian tried to calm down Mailo's two horses that would pull the hay wagon. They sensed the prevailing nervousness, which made them restless.

"Jasmin?" Killian's mother rushed out of the house. She wore a pale yellow coat over her arm. Angelika followed her jumping.

"Yes?" Jasmin smiled shiveringly. She was freezing in the expensive but thin coat she was wearing.

"This is for you!" Angelika handed her a colorful and slightly crooked, self-knitted scarf. "So that you don't freeze! And mom has a coat for you."

"We noticed that you hardly brought warm clothes. Lots of nice clothes, but hardly anything that helps against the cold." Lana held out the coat to her. "This coat is not new, but it is still good and clean. I wore it as a young girl. And it's warmer than your coat."

"Grandma said she'll knit you some sweaters!", Angelika announced. "Our house gets cold in winter. We do not have a fireplace. Grandma always knits for us, too!"

"Thank you!" Jasmin slipped out of her coat and quickly put on the warmer one. The coat was provided with pretty embroidery, and the scarf matched well in color. "I'm very happy about that!" It had always been warm in her old home. She hardly needed warm clothes. And she didn't fit into her old winter coat anymore. Therefore, she did not bring it with her.

"I'll hang your other coat on the coat rack!" Lana winked at her. "For warmer days."

"Thank you!"

"I think we're ready!", said Killian. He wore a white scarf around his neck, which shone brightly in the sunlight. Jasmin blinked. The white blinded her.

Mailo rushed into the house to get the werewolves. He had to hold on to the big straw hat he was wearing. They were ready to go!

They hid the wolves in the hay and covered them with blankets and some hay. Like this, the wagon looked like the normal hay wagon of a farming family. Mailo, Killian, and Jasmin took a seat at the front. Angelika, Mert, and Lana waved after them.

Except for a few people who were still awake, it was quiet in the city and on the streets. Mailo handed Jasmin his straw hat so that she could protect herself from the sun. Since it was very windy, she had to hold it with one hand because she didn't bring a hat pin with her. They heard the wolves whispering softly. Jasmin hoped that everything would go well.

"You look like a pretty flower girl!", Killian said suddenly.

"I do?"

"Indeed! The coat suits you. And the hat. You look beautiful."

Jasmin blushed. "Thank you."

"Ah! A kiss at sunrise! That would be something!", Mailo exulted. "So romantic! How about one?"

"You want to kiss Killian?", Jasmin immediately teased him to hide how embarrassed she was.

"Anytime! But Ole would be jealous!" Mailo winked at her.

"May I have a say in that?", growled Killian, while the wolves laughed softly. Killian's scarf fluttered in the wind. This reminded Jasmin of a pair of white wings. Smiling, she looked around. The carriage left the city. They drove towards a few fields of the few farmers who lived here. The last colorful wildflowers bloomed along the way. They could hear the weary call of an owl that was still awake from the forest.

Slowly they drove towards the forest where they would build the hidden settlement. But then, as expected, they saw a few yawning soldiers sitting by the side of the road. The vampires blinked lazily and watched with furrowed brows as the hay wagon approached them.

"Ok! Be quiet back there!" Mailo whispered to the wolves. "We're getting visitors! No foreign soldiers of the witch. They're vampires!" Immediately it became very quiet in the hay wagon. The wolves did not budge.

"Hopefully, they just want the road toll!", Killian grumbled. "It would be bad if they were also on the lookout for refugees."

In fact, in the marshland, road tolls were demanded from the drivers of carriages and other large wagons. For a coin, you got a paper that confirmed that the road toll had been paid. The paper was valid for a week. The money was used to maintain the roads, which suffered under the weight of carriages.

Killian pulled up the carriage in front of the soldiers, who were sitting in a simple, open tent that served as a toll station. They could see two simple beds and a table with some bread, cheese, and a carafe of blood on it. These soldiers worked in shifts.  "Why are you up so early?", one of the men asked languidly.

"We want to sell the hay. If we drive during the day, we will reach the neighboring town faster. We are already late. The hay had gotten wet", Mailo replied unconcernedly. "For the horse market that is taking place! Will you also visit the market? It's a true event every year!"

"Ah. The market! Unfortunately, we have to work. My wife is going. With our son." The other soldier nodded and looked briefly at all the hay. "Well, I need a coin from you and wish you a safe journey."

Mailo handed the soldier a coin and received one of the rolled-up papers in return. The soldier nodded. "One more thing, we are looking for refugees. Have you seen any werewolves?"

"No. No wolves, sorry", Jasmin replied, trying to cover up her nervousness. "But good luck with your search."

"Thank you!" The other soldier grinned. "Have a good trip! I hope you make it to the market without any problems! A few larger branches are still lying on the road. Be careful. The last storm had knocked down a tree. Not everything has been cleared away yet. The hay looks good."

"Thank you! We'll be careful!", Killian thanked him.

They waved goodbye to the soldiers. The journey could continue. When the vampires were out of sight, Jasmin kissed Killian’s cheek out of relief. "It worked!", she whispered. "I was afraid they were looking under the covers!"

"Oh!" Surprised, Killian almost let go of the reins.

"Fear? What do you think, we felt?", growled one of the wolves. "Can we get out from under the blanket and all the hay now?

"As soon as we get to the forest!" Killian grinned with fiery red cheeks. "Don't worry, it's not far to the forest!", he shouted to the wolves.

"And how far is it until the next kiss?", Mailo asked. "I totally saw this!"

"Mailo!", cried Killian, shaking his head. Jasmin chuckled softly.

"Maybe not too long", she said.

 

Bild

0