3. Concerning Invitation
575 9 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I open up the door to Stella and I’s apartment, feeling both physically and emotionally exhausted from the day. Stella is in the kitchen, already working on making dinner. She peeks her head out of the doorway to look at me. “Hey there, Firefly. Rough day?” she asks gently. I nod, heading for the kitchen.

The couch is comfier, but honestly I’d rather be around Stella. I slump down on the dining table, pulling my phone out to look at the message from my mom. I read it over again and then I read my response. She still hasn’t responded at all, but I doubt she will at this point.

After a few seconds of staring lost in my thoughts, I feel arms wrap around my shoulders tenderly. Laying my phone down, I look up at Stella, only for her to plant a gentle kiss on my forehead. Sighing, I lean back into her embrace comfortably. “What’s wrong? You’ve been staring at your phone for a while, but it kinda looks like you’re staring into the middle distance.”

“Mmmm… I got a message from my mom earlier.” I watch her face for a reaction.

She scrunches her face slightly, looking puzzled. “You haven’t talked to her since you came out, right?” I nod and her puzzled look turns into a grimace. “If she said anything about you being trans, I’ll make sure they don’t find her body.” Her seriousness shocks me and I can’t stop myself from laughing slightly at that. It's the perfect thing to pull me out of my weird funk and instead I focus on how wonderful Stella is. God, I love this woman.

I shake my head after a few moments, looking down at the table to recover my thoughts. "They're having a family reunion next month during the holidays and she wants me to come."

I continue staring at my sleeping phone screen, thinking about the message again. "So she's just ignoring it then? Like it didn't happen?" I can tell Stella is getting angry for me without even looking at her as she starts massaging my shoulders gently. It's really sweet to know that she's in my corner and looking out for me.

I shake my head, looking back at her. "She called me Jen in the message. I think she's trying to extend an Olive branch."

She stops massaging my shoulders and freezes entirely, her face clearly looking surprised by that news. "Oh," is all she says as she just stares at the phone like I have been. After a few seconds of silence, she turns to me and I'm still just watching her. "What are you gonna say?" Her voice is quiet, maybe a little scared.

I pull her closer for a gentle kiss, reassuring her. "I told her that I'd only consider it if she invites her sister too."

Stella nods slowly, sitting down next to me. "Her sister… you haven't talked much about her, but I think I recall you saying that they aren't in contact?"

"Mhmm." I put my phone away, feeling a little better talking about it. "I don't recall ever meeting her. She's gay though and that's why they haven't been on speaking terms. Apparently they lost touch around when I was nine? That's about all I know though."

Stella thinks about that for a moment before getting up to check on whatever she's making again. "Ah, food is almost done. Mind setting the table, Firefly?"

I smile, getting up from the table to help. "Sure thing, Starshine." I can't see her face from this angle, but I can already imagine her gentle smile from hearing the nickname and it makes me warm and fuzzy inside. I walk up behind her glancing over her shoulder at the stovetop, I realize that it's pasta that she’s making. I smile wide as my gaze flicks to the oven and I see that it is in fact on. I silently pump my fist behind her as I realize that we're having pasta and garlic bread.

I know that if she saw me doing that, she'd affectionately call me cute and I would feel embarrassed. Just the thought brings a slightly pink tinge to my cheeks, but I'm able to power through the feeling to set the table for the two of us. "Iced tea?" I ask her while opening the fridge.

"That sounds lovely." I nod at her response to myself and pour us both a glass of iced tea. I make sure to add a bit more sugar to mine because I like my tea sweeter, but I don't add anything extra to hers.

She serves us both a heaping plate of pasta while I help take the garlic bread out of the oven. Despite us only having started living together recently, it feels so natural to share the kitchen with her. Carrying the tray with the garlic bread on it, I can see the grateful tilt of her head that she makes as we pass each other. There's a bit of a bustle as we get everything set up, but between the two of us it doesn't take very long at all.

"Cheese?" She asks, offering me the bottle of pre-grated parmesan cheese. It's phrased like a question, but we both know that it isn't one. Smiling, I take the bottle and shake an unholy amount of cheese onto my pasta. She doesn't even bat an eye at it at this point, but she does chuckle a little.

We both dig in and the pasta is absolutely delicious. "Thanks for cooking again, Starshine. Your food is delicious."

"My pleasure as always." We eat in a comfortable silence for a bit, just enjoying the food. Eventually, Stella catches my attention again. "If she does invite her, will you go?"

I'm confused for just a moment, having nearly forgotten our previous conversation. "Oh, the reunion?" I say, drawing my mind back to it. I chew on the thought for a moment. I hadn't really considered it a possibility at all. Then again, I also never would have expected to see my mom calling me Jen in a text instead of… well, my deadname. Sighing, I tell her the truth. "I'm not sure."

She reaches a hand across the table and I take it into my own. Lacing our fingers together as much as the table will allow, her touch is comforting. "Do you want to make up with your family? You don't have to, you know. I don't really know the full picture, but if they were really awful to you then you're under no obligation. Even if they weren't, you're still not under any obligation."

"I know that. That's why I won't even consider it unless she agrees to invite her sister." My mind is drawn to my mother and her unyielding personality. She's obstinate and stuck in her ways, arguing with her has always been more hassle than it’s worth. Especially when you have to take into account all the shouting.

But she called me Jen. Something that I would have thought impossible for my mother a couple months ago. I don't know if her sister even wants anything to do with her at this point. It's understandable that she wouldn't, even. But if there's the slightest chance that maybe she does want that connection, she deserves to have it. If my mother can do the impossible one more time and try to make up with her sister, then just maybe she's actually trying to be better.

"On the off chance that she does extend the invitation… would you come with me?" 

Stella looks surprised at the suggestion, but she nods vigorously. "Of course, Firefly. You know that I've always got your back."

I do know that, but it does help hearing it said. Smiling at her, I try to put the message out of my mind and enjoy the meal. We both return to our normal routine, just enjoying eachothers company like we usually do.

After dinner we settle onto the couch, Stella throwing on an old show that the two of us have been watching. It’s one of her favorites and despite how old it is, I think it’s pretty good too. I pull my phone up when I hear it vibrate and I freeze. My mom messaged me back.

Stella sits up, looking at me in concern. “What’s wrong, Firefly? You tensed up.”

“My mom texted back,” I say as I gulp down my nerves and unlock my phone. I read the text once, and then again for good measure. Also because I can’t believe her response. “She… she agreed to invite her sister. She told me that she has to do some hunting because it’s been so long and she can’t guarantee that she’ll say yes, but she’ll invite her.”

“That’s good. It sounds like she’s actually trying then.” She flashes me an optimistic smile while holding her arms open. I allow myself to lean into her embrace, cuddling close to her while I formulate my own response to this. Stella whispers softly to me as she holds me close, “I guess we’ve got holiday plans now then?”

Sighing contently, I nod slowly. “Yeah, I guess I’ll let her know that we’re coming.”


I’m watching TV when Stella comes home the next day. Having not had any classes today, I changed right into my pajamas after a shower. When I hear the lock on the door click open, I pause the show I’m watching and look towards the front door with a goofy smile. As Stella enters the door she smiles back like always, but I can see that there’s a slightly strained quality hidden behind it.

Picking myself up from the couch, I walk over and hug her gently. She returns the hug without a word and I lay my head against her shoulder. “Hey, Starshine. Everything okay?” I ask the question gently.

She nods, squeezing me close and taking in a deep breath. She nestles her face into my own hair and I can’t help but giggle at the feeling. I just washed my hair an hour or so earlier, so it must smell really good. Slowly she pulls away, mussing my hair gently as she does so. “Thanks Firefly, I needed that. It’s nothing, really. I just got a weird call today and it’s kind of got me out of sorts.”

I gently lead her over to the couch for more cuddling and she doesn’t resist, allowing me to pull her down with me. “What kinda weird call? Like spam or a debt collector?”

Sighing, she leans back against me on the couch. Her head leans against my chest and she glances up to me. “No, my sister.”

I try to think about what I know about her family before looking down at her in shock. “Your sister? The one who you haven’t talked to in years?”

She nods, glancing back downwards. I lean forward and kiss the top of her head and she cuddles closer. “She invited me to a family gathering over the holidays, surprisingly enough. I don’t know what’s gotten into her, but I still haven’t exactly forgiven her for anything.”

I nod slowly, chewing on that thought for a moment. “Are you…?” I let the question hang carefully, mostly scared of the answer I might get if I do ask it.

She blows out a puff of air, grabbing one of my hands gently. “Of course I’m not going. I promised I’d go with you to your thing. Plus, it’s been, what over ten years? And she hasn’t tried to reach out once in that time? I don’t even know how she got my number. I’m not exactly interested in going to a family gathering all of a sudden. Maybe if she wants to talk somewhere in public or something I’ll go, but I don’t want to be alone with my family after this long.”

Smiling widely, I hug her gently. “That’s fair. I hope that she’s trying to be better to you at least.” Humming in agreement, she reaches over to grab the remote. Turning the TV on, we both turn our attention to that. Well, half of our attention. The other half of my attention is focused on enjoying the company of my girlfriend as much as possible.

I squeeze her sides gently and she lets out a small yelp, turning her head up to look at me. I can see a challenge in her eyes as she flips over to be face to face with me. “You know if you tease me like that, I’ll have no choice but to get you back.” Her tone is low and sultry and it sends a thrill up my spine. I feel myself becoming aroused very quickly by her threat, so I squeeze her sides again.

She gasps at the action before her smile turns ravenous. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” she coos. I feel her arms slip under my shirt and up my back, causing me to let out a very indecent sound.

None of our attention. The TV now held none of our attention at all.

36