Chapter 122 : Masters of Three Hills
272 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 122

Masters of Three Hills

 

Dragoon's Camp

At Dame Daniella's urging, the Lord of Three Hills had traveled incognito to meet with the leader of the Grand Alliance. His arrival signaled the winds of change to the status quo. Doubts within Lansius' camp about Lord Jorge were quickly dispelled, placing the initiative firmly in his hands.

"My Lord, why are you here?" Lansius approached Jorge, with Audrey following behind him.

The honored guest offered a broad smile and declared, "I'm here to show my sincerity."

Lansius glanced at the entrance. "I don't see your escort."

Hearing that, Jorge chuckled. "Lord Lansius, you're not the only one with bold ideas," he retorted, eliciting a polite chuckle from Lansius.

Knowing his counterpart still had questions, Jorge clarified, "I came here of my own volition. I don't need an escort; I have your protection after all. I doubt anyone would dare harm someone under the Lord of Korelia's protection."

Lansius smiled and responded, "Your words are too kind." Then, noticing his staff had arranged seats and a table, he quickly motioned for Jorge to be seated. "Please, My Lord."

"After you, My Lord, My Lady," Jorge replied.

The three sat simultaneously, and Carla promptly served everyone pale ale. Lansius took the initiative and drank first to assure his guest of the ale's safety.

Jorge nodded and took a sip from his silver goblet.

Meanwhile, the rest of the staff were watching from a distance. Sir Harold and Sterling were whispering with Dame Daniella, likely inquiring about the current situation. They understood that when the time came, their Lord would seek their advice and opinions.

After they had taken their drinks, Audrey spoke up. "Have you eaten, My Lord?"

"Indeed I have, My Lady. Thank you for the offer," Jorge replied with a dazzling smile. While most ladies would be charmed, Audrey's attention was focused on ensuring the guest didn't carry any concealed weapons.

"It's time I explain my visit," Jorge began. "I'm here to apologize for my court's indecisiveness. We have factions, some of which, I must admit, probably still wish me dead."

"I'm not sure it's that dire," Lansius replied with concern.

Jorge appreciated the concern. "This is why I came without an escort. I want you to know I wholeheartedly support the Grand Alliance, despite my court being filled with people who resist change."

Lansius nodded deeply.

"However, that should no longer be an issue," Jorge hinted.

Audrey and Lansius exchanged glances, prompting Audrey to ask, "Is there a breakthrough?"

"I want to say yes, but it's going to take more time. The way My Lord has stationed your troops outside the wall hasn't gone unnoticed. However, my court tends to be overly slow to decide, which could make matters worse. Thus, I decided to act on my own," Jorge said.

"What kind of act?" Lansius asked cautiously.

The noble guest hesitated at first before explaining, "After the battle of Korelia, my House's grip on power has weakened. As I've said before, my council fears a coup. Worse, Sir Arius is currently defending against a Nicopolan incursion, and the few Black Knights stationed in the city are stretched thin."

Lansius took a deep breath, acknowledging the situation.

"If I send troops to join your campaign, they'll be my loyalists. We believe the opposing factions will wait for this opportunity, especially if you purchase a significant amount of grain. Even after the harvest, the food situation hasn't returned to normal, and I fear a large purchase might spell trouble for the populace. That would be the right moment for them to instigate a coup."

"A coup while you're at your weakest and lacking popular support," Lansius summarized.

"Exactly," Jorge exclaimed, seemingly unworried.

While Lansius pondered, Jorge declared, "Thus, I feel it would be better to declare my support and join this war in person."

Jorge's declaration surprised everyone. Audrey and the rest of the staff looked to Lansius, who stared at Jorge momentarily before gazing back at them. It was unexpected but a significant boon.

Lansius couldn’t conceal his gratitude but remained wary. "My Lord, why offer your support despite your predicament? Wouldn't this risk your House and family?"

The charming Lord paused before asking softly, "This might trouble you, Lord Lansius, but I'm planning to take my family. We'll follow closely behind your main army. Consider us as a reserve or whatever you need."

"But, my lord, we're headed for battle. It will be dangerous," Audrey warned.

Jorge met her gaze, his gesture showing appreciation for her concern. "Here or there, my family and I are at risk." Then he turned his gaze back to Lansius, "Frankly, I'd rather be surrounded by my loyalists and allies, even on a battlefield. At least in there, I'll know who the enemy is."

Lansius closed his eyes briefly, masking his reaction. Then, putting his hand on the table, he rose, and extended a hand towards Jorge. "My lord, it would be an honor to have you and your family join our campaign."

Jorge, ecstatic, rose quickly and clasped Lansius' hand. "Shogun," he addressed Lansius, "then I am in your care."

"It is my duty," Lansius responded seriously, before adding with a lighter tone, "Although I have some concerns that people might interpret this as me keeping you hostage."

"Nonsense, they will see it as two Lords of Lowlandia uniting to address a serious threat," Jorge countered.

Lansius chuckled, nodding in agreement. He looked to Audrey, who also showed her support, while Sir Harold and Sterling voiced no objections.

As if on cue, Carla refilled everyone's goblets. Seizing the moment, Lord Jorge raised his silver goblet. "To Umberland. May we rescue the nobles still holding out there."

...

 

After the agreement was put on paper, Lord Lansius ordered Dame Daniella to summon Sir Morton to his camp. While waiting for the escort, Sir Harold entertained Lord Jorge with their detailed account of the South Hill campaign. Carla and Sterling were also there, assisting in taking care of their honored guest.

Meanwhile, Audrey was conversing with Lansius on the inner side of the camp.

"Don't you fear that the opposing faction would deliver a coup when Jorge and all his loyalists are marching with us?"

Lansius drank a goblet of water and massaged his temple. "Everything seems possible. I can't be sure." He leaned back in his chair and explained, "If the opposing faction is ambitious and stupid, then they'll do just that. However, if they're ambitious and smart, they'll wait for news whether we're successful in Umberland before starting their plan."

"That's true," Audrey nodded in understanding. "Indeed, if we're successful, then I doubt they'll want to oppose us directly."

Lansius' gaze turned sharp, and he looked annoyed.

"Is that hatred I see on your face, darling?" Audrey quipped.

"I just don't like the way they play this game. All this risk of a coup while we're facing a big crisis. This is horseshit!"

"I can understand that. We're going to rely on Three Hills' support for our supplies." Audrey let out a sigh. "Then what are you planning to do?"

"That's the frustrating part," Lansius slumped in his seat. "Just like in South Hill, we have no evidence, only suspicion."

Audrey glanced at him before deciding to say, "I held back before, but I might need to remind you that this is Lowlandia." The firmness in her voice caught Lansius' attention. Audrey quickly added, "If you wait for evidence, by then, everything will be too late."

Lansius leaned forward in his seat, gaze locked with Audrey. "Do you want to strike first without evidence?"

Audrey knelt in front of him and said softly, "Sometimes, you're too inflexible for your own good."

"But punishing the wrong people could cause long-term resentment and spread the seeds of instability and rebellion," he explained.

Audrey let out a smirk. "I'm not saying to punish them."

"Then?"

"You know, you can just summon them and ask."

Lansius' brow furrowed momentarily before musing, "That is true. I can investigate them."

"That's not what I meant, but you're also correct. That's a role you can play. After all, every noble is also the local judge. Moreover, you're the leader of the Grand Alliance," she pointed out.

"That is true, it's within my jurisdiction." Then he gazed at Audrey, asking, "But what did you mean earlier?"

"Well, I'm trying to say that we don't have to make it too complex. We're dealing with subjects, not an army maneuvering into battle. Summon them, bring them out from the safety of their walls. Show them who's in charge. And then, we can see what kind of people they are."

Lansius nodded thoughtfully. "Iron fist in a velvet glove. This is a workable approach."

"Glad to be of help." Audrey then rose with a smile. "Then, if you come up with a plan, I'll be glad to hear it first."

 

***

 

As evening turned to morning in Three Hills City, the market sprang to life, buzzing with energy more than ever before. The Lord of the city had granted Lansius' army free entry, attracting camp followers and off-duty troops into the city's welcoming arms. Despite the initial surprise and caution regarding the presence of a large army, the locals could not turn away the influx of customers, and so far, there had been no problems.

They flocked through the gates, their footsteps echoing on the cobblestones, drawn by the promise of leisure and commerce. Instead of fear, the atmosphere was charged with excitement and a sense of camaraderie. The aromas of fresh bread, spices, and smoked meats from the food stalls tantalized the nose.

Laughter and chatter filled the air, mixing with the calls of merchants hawking their wares—from shimmering fabrics to intricate trinkets that caught the morning light.

While most Nicopolans hadn't been paid as per their agreement in the fields of Korimor, they were given their share of plunder from their victories in South Hill. Although it wasn't a significant amount, it was more than enough for them to indulge themselves.

Many, having already secured what they needed in South Hill, chose to eat heartily. Others, in search of sturdier or correctly sized footwear, were drawn to Three Hills' renowned cobblers' alley. This bustling lane was lined with shops displaying boots of all sizes and styles, from repaired second-hand to new finely crafted riding boots. The air was rich with the smell of leather and wax, as cobblers and apprentices busied themselves with their craft, offering not just new footwear but also repairs and custom fittings to all who had cash in their pockets.

Meanwhile, behind closed doors, Lord Lansius' staff arrived early to purchase winter seeds for South Hill. The group, consisting of the city's biggest merchants, had entertained Dame Daniella and Sterling, who acted on their Lord's behalf.

As soon as pleasantries were over, they got down to business. As they went through the list approved by the Lord of Korelia himself, the merchants were surprised to learn that Lord Lansius wasn't going to buy a lot of grain for the upcoming campaign.

"Just winter seeds? Not even flour for the upcoming campaign?" one of the merchants, clad in a silver fur coat, was surprised.

Dame Daniella furrowed her brow, looked him in the eyes, and deftly replied, "We have enough grain and flour in South Hill. What made you think we need to purchase more?"

Another merchant, more plump but with better articulation, quipped, "Surely, it's a good approach to stock more food in case the campaign goes, say, unexpectedly?"

The Dame smiled. "We have assurances from the Lord of Three Hills that the city's granary has enough if we need assistance. Furthermore..." She looked around to ensure they were the only ones in the chamber and no servant was in sight.

Her reaction prompted Sterling to head to the door, exit, and close it behind him. Noticing this, the merchants grew anticipatory.

"My Lord has confided in me that the campaign will likely be a brief one," Daniella hinted.

The merchants shook their heads in disbelief. Many of them had thought to make a profit after learning that the Lord of Korelia was heading to Umberland. Due to the unexpected good harvest in Three Hills, they had quite a surplus this year. And because Lord Jorge's administration lacked effective oversight, many landowners retained a significant portion of the harvest for themselves, resulting in these surpluses ending up in the merchants' holdings.

Until now, they had kept this grain surplus to themselves to prevent prices from plummeting. Ironically, they had pinned their hopes on Lord Lansius to purchase their grain and get rid of the surplus. However, it turned out Lord Lansius had more than enough and that the campaign was only expected to be short.

"Unbelievable," one of the merchants commented on the situation.

"But it's the Lord of Korelia we're talking about," the plump merchant joyously chortled.

Other merchants, both old and young, could only exhale nervously. Lady Daniella's presence prevented them from freely expressing their frustration.

Noticing their troubled looks, Dame Daniella offered a diplomatic suggestion, "Look, Lord Lansius is not only a good warlord; he's also a businessman at heart."

Her words attracted everyone's attention. They had heard rumors about the Lord making sound business decisions and started to feel a bit of hope.

The Dame continued, "I'm sure you've heard that Lord Lansius never treats merchants with contempt. He never confiscates merchants' wealth or gets jealous of their profit. He often said: profit makes the world go round."

"Not to offend you, Dame, but this sounds too good to be true," the plump merchant commented lightly.

"You can ask him yourself if you want. I think I can arrange for two people to meet the Lord personally," she suddenly offered.

Everyone glanced at each other. The chance of meeting with the most powerful man in Lowlandia was a great opportunity.

The plump merchant stepped forward, locking gazes with his comrades, and declared, "As your representative, I will go—"

"Fat chance. You have no business that the Lord will need," a wise-looking old man retorted. Turning to Daniella, he added, "Others here will, at best, be intermediaries. You would be better off inviting me, as I have—"

"Your product quality will embarrass us all, old man," the plump man's friend supported him.

"I am sure—" the plump man attempted to reclaim the discussion but was quickly silenced by his now rivals.

"The old man is right. Your selection of goods is even inferior to mine," another merchant interjected.

Then, another merchant stood, boldly declaring, "It is I who am fit to accompany the old man."

"Nonsense! You are not even a guild member!"

Dame Daniella let out a deep sigh as if troubled. However, in reality, this was exactly what she had wanted.

 

***

 

Dragoon's Camp

Since morning, Lansius' army of clerks and scribes, recruited from Korelia, Korimor, and now South Hill, had been working diligently. This was the first time they did not need to march, so they returned to their work, calculating, keeping records, making payments, and managing inventory.

They were the ones who worked tirelessly to ensure that everything was accounted for. Lansius' demand for year-round payments was making good record-keeping a necessity.

And they were the ones who made this possible. The corps, originally formed by Servius and Dame Daniella, was now under Lansius' supervision.

Their work and their lord's full support kept their troops in good shape. Desertion was minimal, even among the Nicopolans who had taken an oath at the plains of Korimor not to seek payment in exchange for food, safety, and shelter.

After the victory in South Hill, Lansius instructed that payments be made to units that had proven themselves in combat. This was as much a reward as it was Lansius' strategy to maintain his influence over his men and ensure their loyalty. After all, as Lord Arte once told him: People fight for their own interests. A man who asks for nothing cannot be trusted.

While Lansius oversaw their work from afar, Sterling entered the tent. "My Lord, My Lady," he greeted.

"Ah, you've returned," Lansius said from his seat inside the command tent.

"The merchants' representative is here to see you."

"Well done. Was it difficult?" Lansius asked.

"Not at all. They're very pleased with this opportunity."

Lansius nodded, delighted. "Then, tell them to wait. I'll send word when I'm ready to receive them."

Sterling bowed his head and left the command tent.

Audrey took a sip from her goblet and said, "Let me handle this."

Lansius gazed at her. "Pardon...?"

"You heard me," she replied lightly. "You don't need to do everything by yourself. Lady Daniella will be there, and since this is merely gossiping about the nobles and landlords, I'll be more than capable."

Lansius was surprised but pleased by her initiative. "You're a better reader of character than I am. I think you'll do just fine."

"Gratitude for the praise," Audrey smiled. "Then, when will I need to meet them?"

"Let them wait a little... We don't want to seem as if we're desperate to see them," Lansius explained. With that matter settled, he returned to his scrolls at the table, reviewing them. Audrey, too, returned to her reading—a compilation of wise words she had been trying to memorize to avoid looking like a country bumpkin in front of her subjects.

Just as they were about to take a break, Sir Harold entered the tent with an ominous tone. "My Lord, My Lady."

Lansius could sense trouble in his voice. "What's the matter?"

"It's the Black Knight's Captain, Sir Morton. He's asked for a private audience," the tall knight explained.

"Sir Morton?" Lansius asked, turning to Audrey.

"I wasn't aware of this," she explained, then gazed at Carla.

"No one was, My Lady. Yesterday, when he came with the guards to escort Lord Jorge to the city, he said nothing beyond pleasantries."

Lansius looked at his knight. "What do you think he wants from us?"

"I tried to pry, but he said it's a private matter," Sir Harold stated, without concealing his disdain.

Lansius glanced at Audrey, who nodded in understanding.

Rising from his seat, Lansius decided, "Well, we need to kill some time; might as well entertain Sir Morton." He then muttered to himself, "O feared Mage Knight, what tidings will you bring to us?"

 

***

 

 If you have time, please check Discord, we have a fun Horizon of War Poll (Questionnaire) in Discord, kindly give reactions - no need to type anything, I promise😆

  • New Landing Page for Horizon of War, updates, Map & Character List

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

6