Chapter 46 : Southern Wind
937 12 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 46

Southern Wind

 

In the town of Korelia, whispers started to circulate overnight that a Saint Candidate was secretly visiting. The sight of blondes in the local inn and around town, combined with the lord’s late-night visit and the local physician’s tight-lipped demeanor, seemed to add weight to these rumors.

Despite initial doubts, curiosity won out, and a crowd gradually started to gather outside the Alchemist’s residence. In a world that lacked any form of religion, the closest thing to reverence was the respect shown towards the Ageless Emperor, followed closely by the Saint Candidates.

These extraordinary individuals, blessed with the innate ability to heal, were exceedingly rare. As a result, the Saint Candidates were usually kept cloistered, their abilities monopolized by the high nobility through the Healers Guild.

Among commoners, even a blessing from a Saint Candidate was considered to hold potent healing powers, although the truth was far more complicated. Upon hearing of the gathering crowds and to prevent unrest as well as possible property damage or injuries, the Lord of Korelia made the prudent decision to order the evacuation of the house.

As the Lord’s evacuation orders were carried peacefully, another change subtly started to manifest itself. The season was shifting, and with it, the wind’s direction was changing. It began to blow eagerly from the south, sweeping warm, dry air into the Great Plains of Lowlandia. The locals called it the Southern Wind, the harbinger of change.

With this shift, Korelia had entered the height of summer.

 

***

 

Korelia Castle

“This is the Great Chamber. We can have meals or snacks here. It’s probably the best place to hang out,” Audrey introduced the room to the recently arrived guest.

Hannei surveyed the room with visible awe. “I see. It’s spacious and seems to have good ventilation.”

The Great Chamber boasted a ceiling taller than most rooms in the castle. Despite being smaller than the Great Hall, it offered a less congested ambiance. The room’s centerpiece was a solitary elongated table, surrounded by matching chairs.

Fully plastered walls, painted in a serene pastel white, complemented the ceiling, which was of the same hue but adorned with an array of vibrant decorative plants and floral patterns.

The two of them walked across the chamber and proceeded toward the next place.

“And if you follow me, we’ll reach the Training Hall,” Audrey continued as tour guide.

As they approached the corridor connecting the two rooms, they heard the echoes of bowstrings being tensioned, released, and snapping back into place. Crossbow training for the castle’s occupants was also held indoors.

This arrangement had been initiated last winter to prevent damage to the components from ice and moisture buildup. Despite the limited space, the place saw regular usage.

“Oh, you’re here,” Lansius called as they caught sight of each other.

“Hey, Lord, I’m just taking Hannei on a short tour!” Audrey replied.

“Ah, I see.”

Ever since the guests arrived, Audrey’s formalities had been somewhat relaxed. The lord didn’t seem to mind, but the staff took notice.

“Are you doing crossbow training?” Hannei asked.

“Yeah, care to try?” Lansius offered his custom small-sized pistol-gripped crossbow.

More than a dozen people were training with him. The strawman targets in the corner already resembled a pincushion.

“Nah, I’ll pass. You should ask Felis, she’s good with a bow— “ Hannei began, then quickly added, “My Lord.” She was aware she wasn’t part of the nobility, unlike Felis, who was about to marry a high-ranking lord and thus was afforded some leniency. Here, she was required to adhere to the formalities.

“Uh, eh, yeah... How’s the room, is it too small?” Lansius asked, noting that it was the first time Hannei had addressed him as lord.

“No, it’s spacious. I’ve been told that it’s actually your room, My Lord?” her voice had a tinge of apology.

“Yeah… but Felis wanted it so...” Lansius shrugged.

Hannei let out a sigh. “You shouldn’t pamper that woman.”

Lansius chuckled. “Well, I owe a lot to her.”

“That’s just your perception. For example, My Lord won Korelia without her help.”

“Gratitude for the kind words, Master Hannei.”

“No, I should thank you for your hospitality, My Lord.”

Sharing a mutual smile, the two were observed by Audrey, who was grinning from ear to ear behind Hannei. She playfully remarked, “You two would make a great couple.”

“What?!”

“No, we’re not!”

Taken aback, Lansius and Hannei retorted in unison, sending Audrey into a ripple of laughter. She was well aware of the shared background between Hannei and Lansius, despite not knowing all the details.

With a resolute tone, Hannei declared, “Come on, there are so many other places I’m eager to explore,” as she gently nudged Audrey forward.

“See you, Lord. Oh, full armor training starts today, after midday,” Audrey said as she was being shoved away.

Lansius could only offer a smile in response to their antics. He hoped that things would be just this peaceful, but knowing the trio’s short tempers, he found it challenging to keep his expectations high.

“Fresh quiver, My Lord,” Sterling offered.

“Gratitude,” Lansius replied, accepting the quiver and reloading a mini crossbow. His aim was unusually off today. Despite attempting to clear his mind, the notion of the Emperor’s death was difficult to dismiss.

Considering the thousand years of rule, the impact of his demise would undoubtedly be colossal. If Hannei’s words were true, then it was clear that the Third Imperium would not stand. It would be a doomed entity.

Upon further reflection, Lansius felt that his preconception of elves as a wise and benevolent race was naïve. The lore actually suggested they were prone to jealousy, and their deviousness might not even be a stretch.

He realized that in a world filled with races that had much longer life expectancies than humans; it was almost absurd to think they wouldn’t take advantage or exploit the other races.

An ambitious elf could easily conceal his intentions, forge his way up, and through his talents, experience, and his gift of agelessness compared to humans, he could ascend the power ladder in a human Kingdom, or in this case, the Imperium.

Over the span of several generations, because humans, even kings, naturally die around a hundred years of age and heirs aren’t guaranteed, the said elf would only need a succession crisis, either natural or with his intervention, to lure a faction to his side.

When such a situation occurred, the elf, as their elder, a face of stability, could easily convince them that he was the logical and better choice to settle their dispute as a stand-in for their monarch or emperor. After all, he would outlast them and their great-grandchildren.

The more Lansius thought of this, the more it made sense. How the Third Imperium lasted this long with stability that would put the Romans to shame. And how there was no religion because an Ageless being walked amongst them.

Lansius suppressed a sigh. The real question lingered: how long would the continent be haunted by strife before a new order could rise? This thought weighed heavily on Lansius’ mind.

If only she would tell me more...

For Lansius, Hannei remained an enigma. He suspected that the problem might lie deeper than just her loyalty to Sir Stan and Lord Bengrieve. Probably, there was another reason that Lansius had yet to discover.

Hannei was eerily secretive about her background, even going so far as not revealing her real name. Lansius only learned that she was French and, unlike him, she had all her memories intact. However, frustratingly, she wouldn’t divulge anything about her arrival in this world or how she could use magic.

She mostly kept her lips sealed and, when pressed, would resort to anger, much like Audrey. However, she did confide in him that her place was here and that she had no plans to return.

As per usual, Lansius had tried to consult Calub, her compatriot. However, Calub himself explained that he didn’t know much out of respect for another professional. He only said that he had known Hannei for almost ten years and that he trust her with his life.

Naturally, it never occurred to Calub to ask Hannei how or where she learned magic. In this world, a mage is a mage, and they were known to be a secretive bunch. The Mage Guild, like any other, kept their trade secrets. However, Calub had confirmed that Hannei wasn’t part of any guild.

Lansius shook his head. The last thing on his mind was to pry about this issue. The last time he did so, they got into a heated argument and she ended up refusing to see him again. She didn’t even appear when Lansius, Audrey, and Calub departed from Toruna to war against Lord Robert.

 

***

 

Cecile

Two weeks had passed since the Lord first brought the guest into the castle, unexpectedly it brought a newfound vitality to the Great Chamber. Usually, this room was often quiet, as the Lord had no family, thus its grandeur was appreciated sparingly.

Lord Lansius and his closest confidantes usually convened in the Council Chamber or the Great Hall for their affairs. Yet, the recent influx of guests, a charming assortment including a young girl from time to time, had infused the room with vibrant energy.

Today, however, the atmosphere was subtly different. The delightful presence of the little girl was missing, her usual spot vacant.

Similarly, the distinct personas of Marshal Sir Justin and Deputy Hugo were absent, their chairs empty. The two were currently engaged in an important assignment, their usual contributions to the room’s discussions noticeably absent.

Lord Lansius, Captain Audrey, Calub, and the two guests were currently engrossed in a private lunch.

Although the Lord and his retainers typically favored simple meals and weren’t overly particular about the quality of food, the presence of distinguished guests sparked a change. These guests, with their blond hair and an air of mystery, seemed to belong to a higher class.

Determined not to compromise Lord Lansius’ reputation in front of such esteemed company, the castle staff went the extra mile to ensure the quality of the meal was exceptional.

In a significant departure from their norm, considering the pride they took in their craft. They even reached out to chefs from outside the castle for guidance.

Tap- tap- tap!

The rhythmic echo of footsteps broke the ambient noise as Carla entered the Great Chamber. She breezed past Sterling, halting near a column.

Cecile discerned from Carla’s demeanor that she carried important news. Leaning over to the Lord, she discreetly mentioned Carla’s arrival.

“Ah, Carla, do you have something to share?” Lord Lansius paused, setting aside his plate.

“My Lord, a messenger carrying a letter from the Lord of White Lake,” Carla announced.

“From Lord Robert? Bring it here then.”

Carla approached Lord Lansius and presented the sealed letter.

“Do you mind?” The Lord inquired his guests.

“Not at all. Please proceed as you wish, Lord Lans,” Lady Felis responded, reaching for another slice of pudding from a silver plate.

Lady Felis was adorned in a striking violet tunic dress, a truly captivating sight. Just a few days prior, she had fortuitously uncovered a cache of dresses in storage. Luckily, Lady Felis’ stature suited the dresses perfectly, without the need for alterations.

She was indeed tall, matching the height of Lord Lansius and Calub. In contrast, Audrey and Hannei were of average height, and Cecile herself didn’t anticipate growing past her current stature.

While Cecile contemplated their differing heights, Lord Lansius broke the purple wax seal of the letter and perused its contents. After nodding in affirmation a few times, he passed the letter to Master Calub.

“Is it important?” Hannei asked, her eyes on Calub as he read the letter.

“Well, almost every letter carries importance. But this one isn’t urgent,” the Lord commented.

“Betrothal letters?” Hannei quipped.

The table erupted into a commotion. Audrey choked on her drink, Calub snorted with laughter, and the Lord coughed. Felis, attempting to stifle her giggles, covered her mouth with an embroidered cloth.

“You really should consider getting married, My Lord,” Calub suggested after taking a sip of water.

“I plan to,” the Lord retorted dryly after clearing his throat.

All eyes turned to Audrey.

“No, guys, don’t look at me like that...” Audrey’s usually bright expression turned into a frown.

Cecile was aware that this conversation was typically off-limits. Only the Lord’s closest confidants were privy to this information.

“Well, there’s no need to rush,” the Lord responded casually.

“Actually... it may become more challenging soon,” Calub interjected.

“Why do you say that, Calub?” asked the Lord.

“The letter mentioned a special envoy. I suspect this might be Lord Robert’s daughter,” Calub elaborated.

The chamber buzzed with conversation at the Lord’s expense.

“N-nonsense! Why would he do that?” The Lord voiced his objection, snatching the scroll back from his advisor.

“He’s being cautious,” Felis said with an assuredness that drew everyone’s attention. “Lord Robert is sending his daughter to meet you first, then gauging your reaction. If it goes well, he’ll propose a betrothal. If it went sour, he can cover it up. Even if rumors spread, there’s no evidence to back them.”

“That’s surprisingly sensible. You’ve learned well, Felis,” praised Hannei.

“Thank you. I gained much from my tutors in Midlandia.” Lady Felis seemed pleased.

“But why would a special envoy necessarily mean his daughter? Couldn’t it just be his advisor?” The Lord expressed his lingering skepticism.

“My Lord, the Viscount went to great lengths to hint at ‘someone’, not just a servant or follower. It would only make sense if it were a family member,” Calub reasoned.

“Alright, no further comment. Let’s just wait and see. It’s probably just a misunderstanding.” The Lord did not share in the others’ excitement.

Despite the excitement in the air, Cecile wasn’t entirely sure Lord Robert would risk such a play. Lord Lansius’ standing in Korelia was still precarious.

If she were in Robert’s position, she would wait for Lansius to solidify his victory against the Western lords before taking such a step. However, Robert was known for his strategic prowess, and the thought processes of strategists could be deeply intricate and unpredictable.

Now, one of the supposedly fearsome strategists was engaged in pleasant banter, casually discussing potential schools for the young girl, Tia, and Calub’s recently purchased house, which was now unusable due to the rumors about a Saint Candidate.

Cecile was more intrigued by Hannei’s abilities, yet the conversation did not touch on this. Hannei was rumored to be a Saint Candidate. Still, she didn’t fit the typical image of one.

Dressed in a doublet and surcoat similar to a squire, she projected a mixed impression. Her blonde hair, delicate beauty, and seemingly fragile demeanor suggested nobility. However, her lack of familiarity with formal etiquette and warlike attire contradicted this impression.

Just like Audrey’s well-worn belt and scabbard, Hannei’s gear hinted at her skills with a sword. This led Cecile to doubt the idea of Hannei being a Saint Candidate.

Saint Candidates were known to lead a cloistered life, guarded and shielded from outside threats. It made no sense for them to become adept with swords.

Yet, Cecile couldn’t completely ignore the whispers surrounding Hannei. One morning, a staff member reported that Hannei was in the courtyard when it started to drizzle. Oddly enough, Hannei’s clothes remained dry while everyone else’s got soaked.

Another mentioned that the main chamber where she resided remained cool as winter, even during the summer midday heat.

On reflection, Cecile acknowledged that sometimes she sensed something different when she was around Hannei. There was also Margo, Calub’s page boy, who had become Hannei’s assistant. His refusal to divulge what transpired in Calub’s house only fueled further speculation and mystery.

The echo of heavy boots, pacing hurriedly against the stone floors, alerted Sterling. The squire instinctively moved to block the corridor. His eyes flashed when he recognized the unexpected guest and stepped aside respectfully.

Without warning, Sir Justin burst onto the scene, his abrupt entrance alerted everyone. Before anyone could ask, the Marshal made a thunderous declaration, “War, war is coming!”

His proclamation, full of raw enthusiasm and unrestrained jubilation, crashed against the high vaulted ceilings. The usual calm and restrained ambiance of the chamber was gone in an instant. “Permission to chant!” Sir Justin continued, his tone as resolute as the walls around them.

“Granted!” Lord Lansius responded as he sprang from his seat.

To Cecile’s surprise, Sir Justin proceeded to bellow a war cry that filled the chamber. It was a war song he had learned from nomads during their mock battles months ago.

Sir Justin was a unique personality; he viewed war as a competition or a way of life. His infectious energy served as a vibrant counterpoint to Lansius’ doom and gloom attitude.

Audrey unexpectedly joined in chanting, followed by Lansius, Sterling, and Carla. Their voices built in a crescendo of high-pitched tones and rhythmic chants, filling the chamber with an intensity that Cecile had never witnessed before.

This was Cecile’s first experience with the news of impending war, but she was certain that nobles typically wouldn’t react this way.

Lansius and his retainers were far from normal, she knew, but she was still taken aback. The usually gentle Lord and his companions were now ablaze with a different kind of fervor in their eyes.

The Lord of Korelia, to whom she had pledged her loyalty, had revealed a new facet of his persona. He wasn’t just a skilled administrator; he was also a warlord.

 

***

 

30