Chapter 67 : One-eyed Knight
592 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 67

One-eyed Knight

 

Lord Lansius had made his intention clear to counterattack and seize Korimor, causing cold sweat to form on Hugo’s back.

“My Lord, I’m with you, but is this even possible?” asked the deputy.

Lansius looked him in the eye and asked, “Do you think we can’t make it?”

“We don’t even have two hundred men to spare. That’s hardly enough for a siege.” Hugo recalled the report on the troops they had left.

Out of 400 core troops, 150 were either dead, wounded, or too shaken to fight. To maintain order and keep hostages in Korelia, they needed at least another 150 men. This meant there were only 100 left for the campaign to take Korimor.

“Go on, let us know your full thoughts about this.” Lansius encouraged his deputy to speak.

Hugo took a deep breath to calm himself down. “With fewer than two hundred, I even doubt that I can take a small castle like Korelia. Korimor has a better defense. It survived siege attempts multiple times... Maybe if it’s only a raid.”

Ignoring his suggestion, Lansius asked, “So, you agreed that this is impossible?”

The Lord’s reaction paused Hugo; he mulled for a while before declaring, “Yes, it’s impossible with just a small force.”

Lord Lansius, straightened his posture and gazed at Sir Harold, who simply nodded and said, “I’ve never heard of someone bringing fewer than three-hundred men to siege a castle and winning.”

“The rule is to bring three to five times the size of the garrison,” added Hugo.

Lansius gave another look at the provincial map on the table. Its yellowing surface and fading ink couldn’t hide its artful nature; however, it held little credible information. Just the general placements and borders of baronies, viscountcies—some even outdated.

“I’ve sent Audrey to meet with the surrendering Nicopolans. We’ll have the defender numbers soon.”

Hugo was surprised that Lansius was adamant about besieging Korimor. “My Lord, even if they only have the smallest number of defenders, say a hundred, we need at least five-hundred.”

“Oh, we can’t do that,” Lansius dismissed. “We don’t have the food to support five-hundred in a siege.”

The mention of food led Hugo to a conclusion. “You want to starve Korimor out?”

Lansius shook his head. “No, we likely have less food than them.”

Hugo chuckled. None of this made sense. “Then, My Lord, how do you plan to win?”

Lansius smiled, “I still have the Nomad tribes’ assistance.”

“But they’re still hunting for the remnants, and at most, they probably can provide only fifty horsemen.”

“We also have reinforcements from Lord Robert,” replied Lansius lightly.

Hugo was stunned. “Repurposing a relief force to a siege? Would they even consent to that?”

“Well, if they don’t want to, then we’ll make do with what we’ve got,” the Lord said with a shrug.

Hugo furrowed his brows. He knew Lansius had a plan, but he couldn’t even guess a glimpse of it, which bothered him greatly. “Then, My Lord, please enlighten me if you wish for me to lead the siege.”

Lansius was amused. “Sieging a castle isn’t all about the number of men and how much food you have.”

His words sent Hugo and Sir Harold into deep thought.

Lansius continued, “We have the element of surprise. No one expects us in Korimor. We likely only need to be intimidating.”

“Intimidating?” Hugo mulled over the words.

“Indeed. We don’t need to assault the castle. We just need to appear large enough to intimidate,” Lansius explained.

The Lord’s brief and enigmatic words hardly instilled confidence, but that was intentional. From the start, Lansius realized he wasn’t all-knowing, and there was no guarantee that his plan was the best. Thus, he conditioned his retainers to think critically, hoping they might come up with a better strategy or pinpoint a weakness in his own.

The sound of hurried footsteps echoed from the stairs, and Margo, the pageboy, entered. “My Lord, I beg your pardon, but the guards report seeing cavalry to the east.”

“Ha!” exclaimed Sir Harold, who then bolted towards the stairs.

“They’re late,” remarked Lansius, exhaling in relief.

***

White Lake Viscountcy

Michael had been the favorite of the White Lake nobility since he was a boy. Through his family’s standing, perseverance, and intellectual prowess, he had won the hearts of influential men and women. However, his once-stellar reputation was no more.

Last year, as the Marshal, he lost the war against Lansius’ much smaller force. In the aftermath, he was captured and lost an eye. Despite having Lord Robert on his side, that alone couldn’t save him from the wrath of the other members of the court.

Many noble families were losing or ransoming their husbands, sons, or other relatives in the war. They blamed Michael, and Lord Robert was powerless to intervene at that time. Consequently, the ex-Marshal was removed from the court and disgraced.

As such, the promise of betrothal to Robert’s daughter was also called off. Many thought that was the end of him.

Since then, a year had passed.

While Lord Robert’s influence and power had waned after losing the war, his House was still influential with a functioning administration. Lansius’ generous capitulation terms allowed Robert to hold on to his seat of power.

The White Lake region had a yearly income of around 800 gold coins. As agreed upon his capitulation, Robert had agreed to send the requested goods and silver, equivalent to 500 gold coins, to Lansius.

That agreement still left him with a good 300 gold coins income, more than enough to live comfortably as a regional power. Moreover, of the 500 gold coins Lansius spent, Robert would recoup a sum from taxes and economic growth in his region. Thus, it wasn’t hard for him to nurse his forces back.

Nearing the height of summer, a messenger arrived in White Lake, bearing a message of impending war in Korelia.

As anyone could have guessed, Lansius’ ascent as the Lord of Korelia didn’t gain any acceptance. It only worsened the delicate balance of power in Lowlandia.

Behind closed doors, many were arguing not to send help. If Korelia were defeated, then White Lake could break free. However, Lord Robert wasn’t going to make the same mistake.

Many underestimated the Lord of Korelia simply because he didn’t exude the confidence of a strong noble. Lansius’ manner of speech and behavior showed little indication that he possessed the qualities of a leader. Yet, all of that didn’t matter.

Robert had long understood that power came in many forms and not every successful warlord was a charismatic leader. In fact, one of the most charismatic men in Lowlandia was Lord Jorge, who was the biggest fool in the region.

People who judged a man based solely on his physique and looks were due for a harsh reality check with Lansius. Although Robert wouldn’t speak of this to anyone, Lansius reminded him of his younger self.

Despite all their failings as noblemen, both Robert and Lansius were skilled war commanders. In conflict-prone Lowlandia, that one skill alone was a desirable trait for a leader. That was why Lord Robert stubbornly prepared his men for reinforcements.

This time he chose to trust his guts and mustered two-hundred men and forty cavalry, a respected force for a relief mission.

What was hard was to find a leader. Almost no one would take the role. They all feared that Korelia would certainly be lost, and they would be implicated for leading a relief force.

While this might have looked like a setback, in reality, all of this played into Lord Robert’s hands.

***

One-eyed Michael

Today, Michael met Astrid to say farewell. Their betrothal was no more, but Lord Robert allowed the meeting to take place. They met in a private garden to avoid prying eyes. Except for the usual lady-in-waiting and the old swordsman in the far corner, there was nobody else.

“Michael, what happened to your eye? Are you still in pain?”

Astrid rushed to her ex-fiancé as soon as she saw him entering the garden. She was worried about his left eye, which was bandaged and covered with an eyepatch.

Standing there with a smile, Michael replied, “It’s alright, my lady. I lost an eye, but I gained a much more valuable experience.”

“But... your eye, I should get someone to look after you!”

“There’s no need to bother, my lady,” he reassured her. “Your humble knight just wanted to say goodbye.”

Astrid cast her eyes downward. “Michael, I wish things could have ended differently for us.”

“It was nobody’s fault but mine. I blame nobody for my misfortune,” he said lightly without burden. He had learned to accept his defeat. Gone was his bloated sense of entitlement.

For a time, there was nothing said between them. Michael was looking longingly at Astrid and her beautiful, long hazelnut hair. This was probably the last time he would see her.

“I heard you are leading the relief force... It’s a long journey to Korelia. Can I get you anything, medicine or a fur coat?” she offered.

Michael thought about the offer and couldn’t help but say what he truly wanted. “My lady, if I could regain my honor, would you still accept my hand?”

Astrid blushed at hearing that so unexpectedly. She glanced elsewhere to regain her composure.

The garden was lackluster this summer, the Hyacinths and Daffodils having already bloomed in spring. But there was a small row in the corner where a type of flower dared to defy the rest.

The purplish pink Cyclamen flower was blooming boldly in the summer as if to give her encouragement. “Sir Michael, don’t take too long, or Mother will arrange another marriage.”

He didn’t flinch. It was only to be expected. “Another?”

“Yes, Lord Lansius had rejected my father’s proposal,” she said with a hint of relief.

“How outrageous! Surely there has been some mis--“

“Michael!” Astrid protested.

“P-pardon me, my lady.” He just couldn’t control himself upon hearing that the love of his life had been rejected by someone. It shocked him and made him vent without thinking.

Astrid shook her head a little. “You know, I heard that the Baron already has two other noblewomen with him. Both are blonde, and one even has the bluest of eyes.”

“High noble daughters?!” Michael couldn’t believe his ears.

Astrid nodded, and Michael’s jaw dropped faster than he could cover it with his hand.

I knew he was more than an ordinary noble, but I didn’t realize just how big the difference is between us...

This also meant that Astrid and Michael could still happen. This realization bolstered Michael’s spirit. “I will do my utmost best, my lady. Please wait for good news from me.”

“Michael, don’t throw yourself into danger. I’m not worth your life,” she warned, feeling bad that Michael needed to venture into a war just to be with her.

Michael bowed deeply and left. Within hours, he was leading the relief troops from White Lake. A few of his friends and longtime retinue were following him. Their fortunes were tied to him, just as Michael’s was now tied to the fate of Korelia.

***

White Lake Relief Force

“Riders ahead,” warned the scout who had just returned from the front.

“I see them,” Michael replied after squinting his eye. They had been fully armored since that morning, fearing that the Coalition might have subjugated Korelia town.

Their assumption seemed to be correct. Lansius was unlikely to send riders to intercept when his opponent was on the other side. Meaning, the riders approaching him were Lansius’ opponents.

“Draw them in, I want to trap them between cavalry and infantry,” Michael declared.

“Horsemen ready!” The lieutenant commanded.

Leaving their infantry to prepare their lines behind, Michael led the cavalry forward. He wasn’t disillusioned and aimed only to steal a small skirmish victory while hopefully capturing a man or two for interrogation.

Forty cavalry in shining armor galloped through the grassy plains. Michael counted twelve horsemen in armor from the opposing force.

Upon closer inspection, however, their opponent was raising a Blue and Bronze banner and rode calmly.

Intrigued by this, Michael slowed down his horse to a trot, and his cavalry followed.

“Blue and Bronze chevron, isn’t that the Lord of Korelia’s banner?” his lieutenant asked as they slowed down.

“It seems like it,” Michael commented.

“Impressive, they still have the town under control. Lord Lansius must’ve pulled out some incredible defense,” said another knight in his service.

“Let’s meet up and ask. If they still have the town, then it’ll be a blessing for our reinforcement.” Michael spurred his horse forward.

After trotting a distance under the Korelia summer sun, they met up with the opposing side. A knight rose his right palm and addressed them, “Hail, I am Harold, a knight of House Lansius. To whom am I speaking?”

Lifting his helmet visor, Michael replied, “I am Michael from White Lake; we’re bringing reinforcements.”

“Ah, welcome to Korelia. Let us set up a place so you and your men can rest for today.”

Harold’s calm words, without any hint of urgency, aroused suspicion. “Rest? What about the siege?” Michael blurted out.

The tall knight in dashing armor chuckled. “Don’t worry about it.”

The tone made Michael uneasy. “What do you mean?”

“You’re late by a day. The battle happened yesterday,” the knight explained.

Thinking that the sun was still up and there was a chance of another battle, Michael spoke, “Then we must hurry.”

Harold chuckled. “There’s no need. Korelia has already won.”

Michael’s eye opened wide while his knights looked at each other.

“The Lord of Korelia won the war?” asked Michael carefully.

“Indeed. We’ve won. Korelia is free; the siege has been lifted,” Sir Harold laughed as he spoke.

Harold’s confirmation stunned Robert’s Knights. They couldn’t believe what they had heard.

“Korelia won in just one day?” Michael asked again, this time fully amused by this absurdity.

“Against how many?” one of Michael’s knights asked.

“Six-thousand,” answered Harold proudly.

Michael and his men were astounded. They shook their heads and chuckled, unable to believe what they had heard.

“Come, you’ll see for yourself,” invited Sir Harold as he turned his horse around and trotted with his escorts towards Korelia town.

“What should we do? Do we trust him?” asked his lieutenant, still harboring doubts.

“Get me a runner,” Michael commanded. To prevent a possible elaborate trap, he sent a runner to warn his infantry. He feared a trap might be aimed at his supply train.

“What do we do if Korelia is already freed?” his lieutenant asked as they went.

“Aside from joining the celebration and feast?” quipped Michael.

The man chuckled. “I’ll be more than happy to entertain such a thought.”

“If this is really true, then Lord Lansius is truly a frightening man...” Michael looked left and right, for signs of trouble but found none. Instead, he saw shepherds and their flocks grazing lazily beside the northern riverbank.

Sensing no hostility at all, his lieutenant commented, “I see nothing suspicious. The shepherds acted calmly and there was no glittering of swords or armor from anywhere.”

"Then the Lord of Korelia is indeed a rising star," said Michael without hesitation. "To triumph over such numbers in a single day... I would be more than willing to pledge myself to his cause."

Little did he know that his support, stemming from a blend of respect and uncertainty about his future role after his current appointment, would be the final missing piece in the puzzle that would reshape the fate of Lowlandia.

***

- NEW! List of Recurring Character.

Dedicated Character Image Channel in Discord: https://discord.gg/CUPpqzTDA3

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HanneAuthor

We have Glossary for early chapter:  Glossary.

If you enjoyed this story, please consider sharing it with others. As always big thank you for all your support, ratings, reviews, and comments.

19