Chapter 122 – Arrival in Cutterbaath
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The truck rumbled down the dusty road away from the ruins of Wranglers District, carrying Vicky's ragtag crew towards the foreboding Mirror Lake. After hours of bumpy travel, the sprawling metropolis of Cutterbaath came into view.

"We're here," Vicky announced. "Cutterbaath, gateway to the Tokyo Palaces and home of the Blood Sap jungles."

Hao peered out the truck's grimy windows as they rolled into the crowded streets. The sheer scale of the city was astonishing, with endless rows of eclectic buildings crammed together. He could make out various guild houses flying their emblems proudly for all to see. A constant stream of beasts, battle machines, cargo, and travellers flowed through the busy thoroughfares. The atmosphere buzzed with a tense, chaotic energy.

When they finally rolled to a stop near the city centre and disembarked, Hao's senses were overwhelmed. "This place is intense," he remarked to Mentos. "I can feel the vibrations of so much activity it's making my head spin."

"All these warriors look like they've been put through the wringer," Mentos replied, nodding towards a sullen group trudging past. They sported ripped clothing, blood stains, and haunted expressions. One was muttering repeatedly about his teammates dying. Another gripped his shoulders firmly, as if to restrain his crazed raving.

"Fresh from a Palace raid most likely," Lanor said, following their gazes. "They say only 10% of teams even return alive, and those lucky few are never the same again."

Hao swallowed hard. The realities of breaching a Palace were clearly as perilous as rumoured. But their own insane attempt lurked just over the horizon.

"This way, we're already checked in," Vicky called out, leading them towards an imposing tower rising high above the other buildings. An elaborately dressed man greeted them at the entrance with an ingratiating smile.

"Mistress Vicky, welcome back to the High Tower! We've prepared your usual luxury suite with the splendid view." He ushered them inside towards a waiting lift.

Soon they were whisked upwards, gaining a spectacular panoramic view of Cutterbaath and the seemingly endless Mirror Lake beyond. Hao could just make out the Blood Sap jungles on the distant shores, pulsating with strange energies.

"Take a good look at that massive lake," their guide said. "It's infested with ferocious beasts just waiting to tear apart anyone foolish enough to cross its waters unprepared. That's why Cutterbaath's founders built the Walls of Baath to keep those nasty creatures out."

He pointed out the towering fortified walls encircling the city, patrolled by watchful sentries. Hao was impressed by the safeguards protecting Cutterbaath from the lake's dangers. Yet he knew even greater threats awaited within the Palaces themselves.

At last they reached the top floor penthouse suite. Vicky and her gang quickly made themselves at home while Hao, Mentos and Ciara explored the lavish quarters. At sundown, they gathered around a long table for a hearty meal brought up by servants.

"Eat up and get a good rest tonight," Vicky advised between bites. "We've got an early start tomorrow to catch the first transport barge headed for the Palace access point."

Her casual tone barely concealed her eager anticipation. The reality of their insane endeavour was fast approaching. Hao too felt the anxious thrill of what awaited. After the meal, he joined Mentos out on the balcony overlooking the restless city, where they talked late into the night about the challenges ahead.

Despite his nerves, Hao was determined to conquer whatever lay within those perilous Palace walls. With his skills and allies by his side, he was as ready as he could be. Adventure and glory awaited, if they managed to survive.

Eventually fatigue overcame them both. Hao settled down on a plush couch near Ciara, who was already fast asleep. Gazing out at the twinkling lights of Cutterbaath, he wondered how many of those firesides would see their warriors return come dawn.

There was no turning back now. Tomorrow, their own trial by fire would begin. As Hao finally drifted off, he could feel Vibe Edge’s eager hum beside him as if sensing the battles to come.

While Hao and the others settled into the lavish High Tower suite, far below in the gritty streets of Cutterbaath, a dangerous new player arrived by Skyship.

Rector breathed in the pungent night air as he disembarked, the ornaments he wore were glinting in the flickering city lights. Trailed by his entourage of armed guards, he cut an imposing figure despite his short stature.

"Where can I find the most brutal mercenaries available?" Rector barked at one of his men. "Blade Tokens are no object. That massive bitch Vicky and her washed-up scumbags will pay for ripping me off."

"Let's check the Tokyo Hunter's Guild, boss," his guard suggested. "Rumour has it they got the highest survival rates for Palace raids."

Rector assented, already moving towards the seedy tavern bearing the Guild's emblem. Inside, rough-looking characters nursed hot drinks. Rector's entrance drew curious glances which he ignored.

"Listen up!" Rector shouted with authority. "I'm hiring a team of elite warriors for a Palace raid. Any who joins me will be richly rewarded!"

The motley crowd exchanged uncertain looks, wary of this pushy stranger amongst them. Then a bored voice by the bar chimed in.

"Get your weak ass out of here, gramps. You're just pissing everyone off."

Rector sought the insolent speaker. A pink-haired young man lounged against the counter, ruggedly handsome with an arrogant air.

“Go get him.” Rector gestured curtly to his guards.

Without hesitation, they drew their swords and rushed the youth. But a sphere of glinting violet blades materialized instantly around him, effortlessly deflecting the attackers' strikes. CLANG! The sudden barrier sliced apart the chair he was sitting on, forcing him to his feet with an irritated huff.

"Whoa, that's VCM's Violet Muse!" someone exclaimed. Excited murmurs rippled through the tavern as Rector scrutinized this brash youth. His ability was indeed interesting.

"Come work for me and I'll make it worth your while, boy," Rector offered grandly.

The young man, VCM, cracked his neck. "I don't work for weaklings. Show me what you can do, old timer."

Rector bristled inwardly at the insult but maintained his composure. If flattery wouldn't sway this rogue, he'd use force.

"Let's see how long you last, kid," Rector sneered while gripping his sheathed Magenta Dynamo. “Aren’t you going to equip your Blade Edge?”

 VCM merely smirked and gestured to the barrier around him formed from thousands of moving swords and told Rector, “This is my Blade Edge, Violet Crisis Muse.”

“Oh, then allow this elder the first strike.” With a shout, Rector drew his massive broadsword in a wide arc. The sheer force released a crushing shockwave that smashed tables and chairs, forcing patrons to dive for cover. But VCM stood firm, Violet Muse's spinning blades were diffusing the blow's power before it reached him.

"Just getting warmed up!" Rector's blade began to glow, magically shaping into heavy spiked armour that encased his sword arm. Now a hulking, spiked juggernaut, he stomped towards VCM. Timbers creaked under his massive mechanized footsteps.

Boom! Boom!

Yet his cocky opponent didn't flinch, he regarded Rector as one might an irritated fly. The onlookers pressed against the tavern walls to avoid the brewing battle.

Whoosh!

“RAH!” With a mighty shout, Rector swung his giant mace-like fist down towards VCM's head. But Muse's whirling vortex easily deflected the thunderous blow, causing sparks to fly at the impact. Rector refused to let up, raining crushing hammer fists that the spinning blades parried with ease.

"Gonna... smash you...to bits...you arrogant...brat!" Rector panted, sweat dripping into his eyes.

But VCM remained composed, stifling a theatrical yawn. "Had enough old timer?" VCM called out mockingly. "Because I'm just warming up over here."

Rector grit his teeth, pride was stinging him from this humiliating defeat. So much so that it forced him to release his full might. “Keep smirking brat, soon you’ll be six feet under…”

 

 

 

 

0