Chapter 123 – A Dangerous New Player
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The fight between Rector and VCM was becoming more intense by the second. Rector had finally unleashed the full power of his Magenta Dynamo Blade Edge. Metallic parts began materializing around him, magically assembling piece by piece. Before long, Rector was encased within a massive battle robot armed with gigantic swords and crushing maces. Even his own men were stunned to see their boss resorting to this extreme.

"Let's see how you handle my Doom Slash, boy!" Rector bellowed. With a thunderous downward slice, one of the robot's colossal swords struck the tavern floor. The sheer force of the blow caused the entire structure to quake violently. Those unlucky enough to be close to the point of impact were flung backwards by its shockwave.

VCM barely managed to brace himself against the attack. For the first time, he noticed tiny fissures spreading through his Violet Muse barrier. 'This old fart is actually strong,' VCM realized, and his cockiness was fading.

"Not bad for an old timer, I'll give you that," VCM called out. His expression turned serious as he focused his power. "But playtime is over now."

The spinning blades of Violet Muse began merging and elongating into sturdy great swords under VCM's control. With fluid motions, he directed this barrage of enormous glowing weapons around Rector's armoured form. They bombarded the battle robot from all sides, seeking weak points in the joins between its heavy plates.

Rector struggled against the unrelenting assault, each blow was pushing his bulky frame back a step. He tried to counterattack but VCM was too quick, evading strikes and continuing his own vicious offensive. Violet Muse's swords hammered Rector's armour relentlessly like a blacksmith at the forge.

Those watching from the relative safety of the walls were awestruck by the display of power from both combatants. This tavern brawl had escalated into a clash of titans shaking the very foundations around them. None could predict who might emerge victorious from such a evenly matched fray.

Yet Rector refused to accept defeat at the hands of this disrespectful youth. Magenta Dynamo began charging its ultimate technique, energy crackling menacingly along the robot's massive frame. An enormous broadsword took shape, dwarfing all previous weapons.

"Say goodbye, brat! Doomsday Eternal!" Rector roared. Putting all his might into one final strike, he began swinging the colossal sword down with earth-shattering force. The resulting shockwave blasted patrons against the cracking walls. All of Cutterbaath trembled under its might.

Sensing grave danger, VCM focused his will into Violet Muse. The spinning barrier accelerated until each blade was just a purple streak. VCM intended to erase the oncoming attack from existence itself using his Void Angular technique. Space warped and distorted around him as he prepared to meet Rector's Doomsday Eternal head-on.

"These two are insane!" someone cried out. The observers braced themselves helplessly, unable to flee the devastating attacks poised to collide.

Yet before either could connect, a radiant figure manifested between the two warriors. Her sheer presence brought their deadly clash to an abrupt halt. It was Roneesh Eserah, esteemed leader of the Sword Whisperers Guild. Her long silver hair billowed beautifully around her stern yet lovely face.

"That's enough destruction from you boys," Roneesh declared, her words resonated with arcane power. At her command, the enormous energies gathered by Rector and VCM rapidly dissipated. Their unfinished attacks crumbled away into scattered embers.

With visible reluctance, Rector undid his battle robot transformation and sheathed his Magenta Dynamo. Though fuming inside at the interruption, he was wise enough not to defy a renowned Sword Whisperer's wishes. Smoothing his ruffled jacket, he turned to Roneesh.

"A fine demonstration of abilities my dear. Why don't you come work for me? I could use a lovely woman of your talents by my side," Rector suggested greasily.

Roneesh smiled coldly. "I don't associate with your kind. Now take your troublemaking elsewhere before you destroy this nice place."

Rebuffed, Rector skulked away in a huff. His ego was badly bruised after nearly being bested by VCM and dismissed by Roneesh. But at least the arrogant youth had proven his worth. Rector approached him next.

"That was quite the display kid. Work for me and I'll pay you enough to retire rich for life after just one raid," Rector offered gruffly.

VCM cocked his head, considering the offer now Rector had proven his mettle. Their combined strength would be unmatched. "Alright old timer, you've got yourself a deal. I could use some action after getting rusty." In truth, he was mainly interested in this as an opportunity to raid Tokyo Palaces again. His previous team had been wiped out, leaving him without partners for such perilous ventures.

"I better get paid up front," Added VCM.

Rector laughed boisterously and clapped the young man on his back. "Now that's what I like to hear! Welcome aboard!"

While Rector made arrangements with his new recruit, up in the High Tower suite, Hao was still awake, unable to sleep due to restless thoughts about tomorrow’s mission. He stood on the balcony observing Cutterbaath's vibrant nightscape. Through his enhanced Vibe Sense, he could perceive the city's unique rhythms and pulses. An occasional tremor from below caught his attention, likely an aftershock of the earlier titanic battle.

"Can't sleep either?" Ciara said softly, coming up beside him. "I'm so worried about tomorrow. Is raiding one of those nightmarish Palaces really necessary?"

She tried convincing him again to turn back. "You have so much potential ahead of you. Someday you could take over your mother's company if you wanted. Don't throw your life away on Vicky's insane ambitions."

Hao shook his head firmly. "Something big is coming. I can feel it. That X-Class sword has awakened strange forces. I need to grow stronger to be ready."

He turned to face Ciara directly. "Look, you don't need to come tomorrow if you're afraid. But I won't turn back now. This is the path I've chosen."

Ciara bit her lip anxiously but didn't argue further. Meanwhile, neither of them noticed Lanor lurking nearby eavesdropping until Raven snuck up behind her.

"Spying on your crush again?" Raven teased, making Lanor jump guiltily. "So obvious with your little crush on the new guy. Why not just tell him how you feel already?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Lanor hissed defensively before quickly slipping away, flustered by Raven's accusations.

Back inside, Mentos was sprawled across the couch snoring loudly amidst crumpled blankets, much to the annoyance of Scar and Boulder trying to sleep nearby.

In her own lavish bedroom, Vicky laid awake, nerves rattled about the coming day despite her confident bravado. So much hinged on their success breaching the Palace. She kept triple-checking her intricate plans, reaching out to contacts through her communication device for any last bits of useful intelligence.

Tomorrow would be a true test for them all. But Hao felt ready to conquer whatever horrors awaited within the Tokyo Palace's perilous confines. Clutching Vibe Edge close as he finally drifted off, he could sense the sword quivering in anticipation of the battles ahead...

 

 

0