Chapter 2 – I Love Failing!
324 7 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Yahoo~!” 

My clarion cry echoed through the Adventurers’ Guild lobby as I pumped my fist in the air. A smatter of applause joined the sound soon after as the adventurers inside cheered me on. Some of them even gave me a toast with their raised tankards, causing my already wide smile to widen even more.

“Congratulations!”

“You’ve done it again!”

I clapped delightedly. “Thank you, everyone!”

“...Seriously? I don’t think there’s a single person in the world other than you who’d be happy about failing.”

The exasperated voice which had cut into my moment of triumph belonged to Saren Verdebough, the one and only friend that I’d managed to make in this world during the past sixteen years since I was reborn.

“Aw, c’mon! Let the lady have her fun!” One of the adventurers seated at a table called out. A chorus of voices joined him in support. I couldn’t help but feel a rush of warmth in my heart thanks to this carefree and welcoming community.

Saren shook her head with a sigh, though she couldn’t help the smile that was beginning to creep onto her lips. Clearly, the Guild’s positivity was infectious. 

“This makes it, what? The thirtieth time that you’ve failed the entrance examination? Congrats, Charlotte. You’re the first person in the Guild’s history to have failed so many times.”

“Thirtieth?” I placed a finger on my cute, rosy lips as if in thought. “Ahaha! I can’t even count that high!”

That was no exaggeration, by the way. The goddess had been kind enough to keep my memories intact when she reincarnated me into this world so that I could finally find joy in my newfound stupidity, but she certainly hadn’t been lenient with my wish. In fact, I was so stupid that I could barely count using my fingers.

The goddess wasn’t completely merciless despite my idiotic wish, though. 

Instead of being directly transported to the world, I was reborn as the child of a ducal couple in the Vasilisa Empire, giving me ample assets (both financial and physical, it seems!) so that I could live a comfy life despite my lack of intelligence. Coupled with my looks that were charmingly attractive, but not oppressively beautiful as I was in my past life, I’d normally be able to enjoy a noble’s life of luxury.

But obviously, that’s soooo boring, right!? Now that I was in a fantasy world filled with magic, interesting creatures, and beautiful sights to see, it’d be a waste for me to sit inside a mansion instead of exploring the world!

After all, I want to experience failure and stupidity in every way possible! A day isn't complete without me falling flat on my face and into a puddle of mud or something!

Or so I’d hoped.

While I spent the majority of my childhood at home, as soon as I had my coming-of-age soiree at the age of sixteen, I ventured out to join the Adventurers’ Guild against the wishes of my parents.

The journey there had been utter bliss. Not only did I stub my toe on the way out of the front entrance (I’d never even so much as gotten a paper cut in my previous life), but I also managed to slip and fall right in the middle of the street!

I hit my forehead pretty hard back then, but it’s not like I had any brain cells to lose, ufufufu!

That was how I met Saren Verdebough, one of five S-class adventurers in the entire world. It had been pure coincidence that when I tripped and fell, I’d smacked my forehead on the cobblestone road right in front of her. Thanks to her incredible sense of justice and magnanimous heart, she couldn’t exactly leave the unconscious me alone.

When I came to, I was already in the Guild and getting treated for my injuries all thanks to Saren. After that, I kept running into her in various weird situations. 

There was this time where I was looking for the market street but somehow ended up lost in the forest and attacked by wild boars before she saved me. Another time, I went to a lake to enjoy a nice relaxing fishing trip, only to get the hook stuck on the back of my underwear. And this other time... Well, you get the gist!

It was only natural that after encountering each other so much that we’d become friends, right? Well, that’s what I’d like to say, but honestly... Our relationship is more like owner and dog. 

She’s the responsible owner who tries to keep her rambunctious pet on a leash, and I’m the dog that chases every squirrel I see, only to come back covered in mud.

It’s pretty fun, if I do say so myself!

“Well... Honestly, I’m pretty impressed,” Saren said as she gave me a pat on the head. I leaned into it, thankful for the fact that she was soothing my overworked head as I’d just tried to contemplate the massive number that was thirty.

“Hehe, praise me more! Praise me more~!”

“Normally, someone would’ve given up after their third attempt. Tenth, if they’re especially determined—”

“I can almost count to ten!” I puffed out my bodacious chest with pride.

“—But you’re exceptional in that regard,” Soren said as she ignored my stupid remark. “Well, I suppose there’s no helping it, then.”

Suddenly, it felt as if a bone-biting chill had settled into the room. 

I stared at Saren, only to begin shivering in fear as I saw an almost palpable aura of menace emanating from the whole of her being. In fact, that kind hand that was just patting my head moments ago was now exerting an immense downward pressure that prevented me from running away.

In fact, it was taking all my strength to remain standing. Ow, ow, ow!

“S-S-Saren! T-There's no need!” I began, already knowing what she was about to suggest.

A cruel and mischievous smile crept across her lips, replacing the gentle expression that she wore mere seconds ago. “Oh, but I think there is. Be honored, Charlotte Esparcium vi Palatina. I, Saren Verdebough, S-Class adventurer will personally hammer every bit of knowledge that I possess into that thick skull of yours until you pass this damn exam.”

My entire body shook in fear.

Oh, be still, my single brain cell! We must endure this together!

16