Book 2 chapter 10: A Drink At the Drunken Wyrm’s
130 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Much like the other stores around here, The Drunken Wyrm also has a mascot of it's own. Unlike other places however, it's mascot was far more real.

To my surprise, a large serpent rested outside the bar and as we approached, it's head lifted, as it inspected us. It was a dark, muddy brown serpent, with a back lined with rows of stone. littered with ores. It's eyes looked like glowing sapphires, with a pupil like a ray of light piercing the transparent eye. The light focused on me, and I felt a strong sense of scrutiny, as the eye focused on me like a lighthouses light, singling me out.

I felt a faint sense of fear, and it didn't take me much to recognize that the beast in front of me was far stronger than I, and the fact that I wasn't trembling in fear was merely due to a lack of hostility and thus no faceful of killing intent.

Terrifying.

But not a wyrm. I've seen a wyrm. They're more terrifying to be sure.

Lenore didn't seemed bothered either, and Chip even seemed friendly to the large serpent.

"Steinnwurm! I brought two new customers for your boss. Mind letting us in? I think he'll like this one."

Steinnwurm snorted, as he spoke, with a visceral, gravelly tone.

"I sincerely doubt it, but by all means, head on in."

It sounded rather refined.

As we walked in, I made no comment, but I was rather curious about the serpent.

It was clearly high B, to low A in my vision. Even if it weren't, what kind of bar would willingly post such a beast at the front door.

I consider asking, before Chip choses to say it before I ask.

"Steinnwurm happens to be the bar owner's familiar. He's been here for a while, and everyone's just gotten used to him. He's a grumpy old snake, but he has a good heart. C'mon."

Lenore seems rather nonchalant about it, and even a little excited.

"You seem rather excited." I prod, and Servante responds quickly.

"The best bars are the ones with retired adventurers."

I paused.

had heard that before.

 


The bar was far less rowdy than I had thought it'd be.

It was rowdy however.

Lots of screaming, shouting, boasting and all sorts of antics.

And yet the actions were restrained, with everything being limited to words, and words alone.

Clearly someone was holding them back.

Chip sat right at the bar, and we followed suit.

"Hey Dudley!" Called Chip.

"WHAT!?" came the loud response, as the shuffling of footsteps could be heard.

The shuffling of feet was accompanied by the cursing and muttering of a dwarf, who walked over to face them from behind the bar.

He was facing us, face to face, with a rough look on his face.

Grey hair and the strong arms of a dwarf, with a ruffled beard to boot.

He's probably standing on a platform behind the bar which uplifts the bartender to human height.

Seeing us, he complains.

"Elves. You're not here to case trouble are you?"

As if. The presence of the dwarf was immense, much like the serpent outside, likely an A-rank. Even if he was retired, I wouldn't cause trouble.

"Nah. I heard you've got good drinks and decent snacks. How much for a mug?"

"You looking for the cheap swill or the good stuff?"

"Only the good stuff for me. If it ain't good, it's not going in."

"10 silver. If you've got a problem-"

"-None. Only that you haven't poured one out already. Put these 2 on the tab for me. Ah, but limit her to ten drinks. She has a problem."

"Bah! I'd like to see her try." Grumbled the dwarf, as he poured out ten drinks for the elf.

"Finish all of them in the next minute and I'll give you 10 more, free of charge."

I wasn't sure that Lenore should take that deal, so I turned to her to tell her not to take the deal-

Urp!

And she's done. Wonderful. I see now by what Servante said.

She does inhale drinks.

"Bartender, 10 more!" She shouted.

"Hmph!" He said angrily, yet he was clearly amused by the expression on his face, and he proceeded to pour out ten more.

"Fine. On the house, as promised."

"Get me a mug too please?" Chip tuned in,, and I also requested my own as well.

"Yeah yeah, give me a moment you needy bastards." He grumbled before promptly dropping two drinks in front of them.

Sllluurp.

Wonderful. Tastes like horse dung.

Chip raised his finger, as he threw in another request. Can you put out some snacks too while you're at it?" Chip asked Dudley, and the dwarf obliged the beastman, as a trail mix hit the bar with a fine thunk

"thanks Dudley!"

Grunt

"Hey Dudley! I need another drink over here!" Called a man from the other side of the ar as he raised his mug sloppily.

"Coming you thirsty bastard!"

The dwarf walked away as someone else called him over.

"Nice place." I commented, and Chip nodded in agreement.

"It's pretty quiet in here, with a bartender like Dudley and with a bouncer like that outside, people rarely start any trouble here.

I'd say. An A-rank adventurer and an A-rank serpent lying around, I cannot imagine one to be so stupid as to cause a fight here.

"Must make for a good place to enjoy your off time at huh. "

"Yeah, it's been a bit more peaceful recently, but who knows if it'll last."

"Indeed, there is no such thing as peace. Merely silence before the next problem."

"Mmm." Chip takes a big gulp out of his drink before sighing.

"Damn I needed that."

"I thought you said it's been peaceful recently."

"I should've said relatively. Some new hotshot's been throwing a fit recently. Names Ridley"

"Really?" I ask, this time being genuinely interested. It's always worth scouting potential dangers.

Lenore's ears twitch, signifying her interest in the topic as well.

The beastman nodded. "Yeah, supposedly he came from the capital, being related to some big family."

"Any names?" In particular, family names.

"Nah, but he does seem to have the merchant's guild's support somewhat, so who knows." The beastman leans in, whispering.

"Big family or not, being set to a town like this with no space to develop compared to the capital? It's practically exile for a merchant."

I chuckle. "Maybe it's for his own good. You know how fights between siblings can get if a trading companies at risk."

"Maybe." he said, unconvinced. "Doesn't seem the type though. He's loud and arrogant, complains and points fingers. We've just gotten use to the loud and annoying voice."

"Hm." I say, disregarding the annoyance as a threat, but continue the conversation.

"And who is this, fine gentleman I should keep an eye out for?" To steer clear of.

"Louis.Trust me, you can't miss him. You'll hear him before you see him."

Lenore butted in, surprised. "That's it? The mos annoying thing you're facing right now is a loud obnoxious moron?" she asks, genuinely surprised.
The beastman shoots me an inquisitive look, to which I respond. "She's not really well versed in the local history of this village."

"Oh." He said, before turning to her. "Well you see-"

He pauses, as she says her name.

"-Lenore."

"-Lenore, this is Skip Village. You know of ur origin, yes?"

"I was recently informed. Of northern origin I heard."

"Yup,this village is of northern descent. And like northerners, we don't tolerate troublemakers."

He said that casually, and yet there was a dangerous edge to that sentence.

It's true. Northeners dislike troublemakers, especially foreign ones, who arrive at what they view as the cold rural areas, and treat them like fools.

Despite having mingled with the south, the people of Skip village are still a tight knit group, and though crime can get past them, when they're caught, they're dealt with swiftly.

Concerning such a group, it doesn't hurt to be on their good side.

"Good to hear. I feel safer already." Lenore commented humorously, and Chip chuckled.

"We do still get a few crazy ones of course. Why, just before you arrived..."

Chip continued on, talking about the countless interesting encounters he had had this day.

And truly, there were some interesting stories.

A dragon skull being escorted through for the family of Thorsten,

An illegal exotic slave trader was caught, trying to hide his "products" in wine barrels. It failed once the barrels began vibrating on their own, which most wine doesn't do. Amongst the "products" were a group of monkeys in a barrel, and were in fact the first barrel to move. You can't keep monkeys in a barrel.

A woman dressed as a man passing through the gates. Chip didn't stop her, but he thought it worth noting. How mysterious. Or suspicious, honestly.

3 kobolds in a trenchcoat entering the village, who were in fact, forced to pay the entrance fee for three individuals

"Really? Three kobolds in a suit" Lenore said disbelievingly at something that clearly came out of a comedy, yet Chip said otherwise.

"I'm serious. You'll never even believe what they called themselves."

"What?" I asked.

"Swift foot, strongarm, and metal head."

"... I don't believe you." Lenore said disbelievingly, and Chip cackled.

"Neither did I, but they insisted on it. They seemed serious, which only compounded the stupidity of it all. Metal head was the one pretending to be feet!"

A small round of chuckles go around the group.

"Then I suppose Swift foot was the head?" I guessed, but Chip shook his head.

"Strongarm. Apparently Strongarm had the biggest head, and metal head's head was too metal, and he had the longest legs. They nearly got away with it too, before they tripped and fell over."

"Are they still around?" Lenore asked curiously, and I had to admit, I was quite curious.

Maybe we could sneak up on them or something.

Even bring Leon and Willow along, and let the kids have a good laugh.

Chip shrugged. "Probably. Haven't heard anything about them leaving, but who knows, maybe they managed to sneak out pretending to be a lizardman again. We did almost miss them."

It went on like this for a good hour or two as it got darker outside.

Seeing that it was getting late, we decided to wrap things up.

I got a few snacks to go, and even a bottle of snake wine that the dwarf bartender offered for a gold coin. Expensive, but worthwhile.

As we were getting up however, a loud thud could be heard as someone roughly entered the room.

A pompous blond haired young man entered the bar, shouting. "Bartender! Where is my drink!" he said arrogantly, casually dismissing and pushing through the annoyed crowd as he sat down at the bar, with two guards following him.

Seeing the man, Chip sighed tiredly. "Wonderful." He said sarcastically, causing me to turn to him in curiosity.

"You remember that guy I told you about? That annoying trader who was bothering the hell out of the guards?"

"Ridley?"

"Yeah, that's him."

Wonderful indeed. To think such an annoyance has appeared.

"Ugh, this bar reeks of barbarians." he said, causing many faces to flush in anger, but ultimately no one did anything, warily eyeing the guards next to him, and then Dudley himself.

Welp, time to go.

I signaled to Lenore, indicating that we should go, as we did our best to quietly get up, with Chip doing the same.

Fate was not on our side today, however, as the squeal of a wooden chair scraping the floor caused Ridley turned his attention to us.

To Lenore in particular.

"Well hello there beautiful. How would you like to have a drink with me?" he asked salaciously , as the guards next to him stepped forward shamelessly, as if trying to intimidate us.

Hmm.

A group of punks have come up to bother us. How annoying.

It's a shame that we're probably going to get kicked out of this bar today.

11