Book 2 Chapter 3: Goblin Merchant-Wannabe
346 8 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's not like sapient monsters are common.

They're really not, much less a consistently sapient species like sapient goblins.

But still, really?

The average commoner, I get if they don't know, but the royal guard of the royal family of elves doesn't know about the sapient goblins?

The piercing stare I sent their way was clearly bothering them, as Lenore scratched her head awkwardly.

"I'm a country bumpkin" she admitted sheepishly. "Theoretical knowledge has never been my strong point."

Servante looked even more embarrassed. "It wasn't in the libraries." he admitted awkwardly, trying not to look downright stupid.

I mentally sigh. 'When you get a chance, go to a library and make sure to update your knowledge. Whatever libraries you've been sourcing your info from is at least 1200 years behind the time.'

Yup, sapient goblins were discovered around 1200 years ago, undoubtedly having existed longer than that.

They're rare however, as far as the general public goes, and for good reason.

The goblins most commonly seen, like the one I killed, are labeled feral. Basic.

From what research has managed to gather, this is in part due to mana density.

Seemingly all goblins born in places with low mana are born as feral goblins, relying on base instincts and barebones thinking skills that seemingly go in circles.

All traps and structures they produce are seemingly instinctual, and thus it is easy to identify feral goblin traps and huts, making them good fodder for starting adventurers.

In places with higher mana density, there are what could be labeled "high goblins." I say "high", because their evolution line is seemingly the same as the ferals, with the feral variants differing in certain key features, with feral orcs looking more like pigs, while sapient orks maintain more of a brutish humanoid appearance.

Because of the fact they're born into places with high mana density, they are always seemingly weaker than most monsters in their area, the mana going to the development of consciousness. That's the working theory anyway.

'Sapient goblins are goblins born into places with high mana density, or born to fellow "high goblins". Write that down Servante, because I really don't want you embarrassing me in the cities."

Although Servante looks annoyed, he still quickly opens his book ready to scribble notes down, while Lenore seems interested as well, with the goblin seemingly relieved that the blade is no longer aimed at him.

'Sapient goblins, as the name suggests, are capable of individual thoughts, and are above the feral nature the average goblin shows. If feral goblins are F-rank monsters, then sapient ones are more like D-rank monsters.'

While Servante scribbled, the goblin spoke up.

"Excuse me, if you could, please stop calling us sapient goblins." he asked politely.

Ah yes. That part.

'If I recall correctly, you guys do not enjoy being called goblins, because it's not the name chosen for yourselves correct?'

The goblin nods patiently.

'All right, so sapient goblins actually prefer the skarpas, or the sharp ears as they call themselves. They also use the term to denote themselves, orks, and all derivatives of the goblin family.'

Lenore frowned. "If that's the case, why don't more people talk about this? If you ask me, it sounds like they have a pretty united culture. Kind of weird how little people know this."

I shrug. 'It's not hidden, and people who live near places with higher mana know about them, since sapient variants of feral races only spawn in places with higher concentrations of mana. It's even common for the empire to create outposts together with skarpas, since they know their home forests better than we do, and the northern border is infamously a place where many ice type monsters mingle with the people.'

Servante asked. "So which monsters fall within this category? Because from the way you said it, it sounds like goblins aren't the only ones."

Well, it is a difficult subject really. Are the kids getting bored? Yeah, they're already knocked out.

'A lot of races. Monsters that spawn in places with higher mana are more likely to be born sapient. So, goblins and orcs, and many of the goblin evolutionary line follow a similar set of traits. There are feral ogres, and sapient ones. There are other monsters, like minotaurs, gorgons, sirens, and more who follow the sapient feral rule. Of course, some monsters have no feral variants, such as kobolds or dragons, or giants who are intrinsically sapient. It's very difficult to note the differences at times.'

Servante frowned at the answer. "And how do you know that's the truth, and not just a lie posed to cast off the less enjoyable fringes of their society." He questioned, which caused the goblin to give him an upset look, one that Servante easily ignored.

'Physical features. Ferals and sapients are not merely mentally different, but also physically. Sapient goblins have hair, their features are less warped, they stand a bit taller, more around the height of your average dwarf, and take a year to mature, unlike the month feral goblins need, and live for 20 years versus the average 10 feral ones live before breaking down'

That was how it was possible for it to be differentiated. Otherwise, how could they trust the words of monsters?

Anyway, speaking of the goblin in the room.

'What is a Skarpas doing in this part of the woods exactly anyways?' I ask the goblin.

The goblin brushed himself as he announced proudly. "I didn't come alone! I came with a group of friends, and we're planning to become merchants!" He declared proudly.

... To become merchants.

I'm not the only one with a skeptical glance of course, and I can see Servante's look as well as Lenore.

"Hey, Earl, what exactly is the perception of sapient monster's in society?" Lenore asked hesitantly, yet the look on her face said it all.

'Not good, especially for lower rank sapients like goblins and kobolds.' More corrupt nobles were occasionally caught with sapient monsters, especially goblins as exotic pets.

If they were lucky.

The goblin's face had a worried look on it as it heard a firm obstacle appear in the way of its plans.

"Really!?" it exclaimed.

'... How old were you again?'

"I'm 8" it said confidently, its nose turned up, as Servante and Lenore shared a confused look.

'Ah, a midlife crisis. Already worried about not evolving onto the next stage?'

The goblin quickly refuted this, denying it sternly. "No, I'm already about to evolve!" he announces, with his arms crossed. "It's why my brother allowed me to go explore the world already."

I give him a pointed look. 'Allowed, or didn't chase.'

The goblin faltered. "... Didn't chase" he admitted as his eyes looked away evasively.

... If I still had fingers, I'd be pressing the bridge of my nose right now.

Oh wait, I have vines.

There we go. And Ore's mimicking me. No, bad ore.

'How many friends?' I ask with a pinched face, thinking about how to deal with this.

I do have to deal with it after all.

This road only heads towards the same locale, so ultimately any drama circling goblins entering the city will undoubtedly attract attention to us, and that's not something you want when being chased by pursuers.

Besides, we can use them to our benefit.

"Three! Borsch, Fenil, Damil, and I Redgar!" he said proudly, clearly proud of his name.

Servante gave me a questioning look, but I can only shrug in response.

Hey, I know some stuff about goblins. I am not a master biologist.


Redgar as he called himself, did have two more friends.

Fenil and Damil, and Borsch, all three being goblins nearing their first evolution, with one of them specializing in magical projectiles, and the other being a more hands on physical type.

Borsch was 10, the other two both of them were also 7 and 9 respectively, making them rather young, confirming his worries, only built upon when mentioning that the strongest in the village was a blue humanoid with two horns. The elder as they called him, who was a master of winds and storms.

Well, it was settled.

They had to help these goblins.


'We have to take them with us.'

Servante crossed his arms, and even Lenore looked unsure.

"You may have convinced me to take an orphan with us, and teach him, but 3 goblins is too far." Servante said firmly.

'I do not say this out of a mere benefit, but because if we don't, this could go very badly.'

"Badly how, exactly?" Servante asked, eyebrow raised.
The goblins weren't being left alone with the kids, but rather in their own self made cart, which was quite durable made in their home village. The kids had been moved to our carriage to sleep better, but in reality, to keep them away from goblins.

'They're taking the same route as us.'

"And?"

'There's no other branch offs to this route you know. This route only goes one way.

To skip village.'

Servante's face hardened as he realized what I was implying.

The trouble that came with sapient goblins arriving at rural towns?

That would be our problem.

And considering our situation, the last thing we'd want was drama.

"We could just kill them." Servante said coldly, and while Lenore looked uncomfortable, she was also clearly waiting to see, keeping quiet. I disagree with this wholehardedly, but I understand that they're acting from the standpoint that they're merely goblins in the way of their mission.

'That would be foolhardy. Have you forgotten they come from a village, departing at the mere age of 8?'

"You say that as if it means something to me."

'Have you considered how sapient monsters villages survive if they're comprised of monsters weaker than other monsters of the surrounding areas?'

"I thought it the same way humans survive in such situations. Cunning and tools."

'Sure, until a monster wave happens. Most human settlements made within monster infested areas get torn down the second a monster wave gathers, but monster villages survive for decades, if not centuries at a time. Can you figure out why?'

"Well, I assume they evolve. Even if they are born weaker, evolution compensates for their weakness, and their cunning should speed things up."

'Sure, sure. But evolution takes time and effort to nurture. And a group of weaker than average monsters usually gets torn down quicker than they can grow their numbers.' Sapient monsters spawn in yes, but like most monsters who spawn in, they rarely spawn in groups, rather spawning alone, or in pairs. How could they survive without that preexisting herd?

Something clicked in Servante's mind as he guessed. "A supporter?" he asked as he looked at me probingly, as I gave him a nod in agreement.

A supporter, yes. Many times that support is a sapient monster who's grown strong enough to survive in the wild and support a whole tribe as they gather fellow sapients born into a harsh situation. At the very least, these supporters are 1 rank above the rest, but usually two.

Minotaur tribes ruled by a Gaiataur, sirens who rule Harpy covens.

Goblin clans were dangerous for the same reason real goblins are. They breed faster than most sapient monsters, and evolve faster, with their supporter, their village's progenitor usually being the strongest.

I can recall one goblin village situated in my territory that was ruled by an oni.

Shiver

He was a terrifying fellow. And given this elder seems to be an oni who receives favor from the oni God Fujin.

"Even so-"

'There is no, "even so".' I cut him off pointedly. 'They let those three kids leave, and I doubt they did so without any form of protection. Best case scenario, we manage to do so, and suffer some permanent damage from a painful retaliation tool, and worse case scenario, a group of adults who've already evolved past their goblin stage and reached easily into B and C ranks, and maybe A ranks come after us, with the intent to kill.'

The idea that the oni who supported this village was a direct apostle of the god Fujin was merely speculation on my part, but the chances of C,B,A ranks pursuing us is not. On the contrary, it's highly expected, regardless of the size of the village.

Servante's expression looked grim. "But if we bring them with us, we'll be attracting attention too, and we'll be in the same situation as if we let them go." he pointed out. "If that's the case, we could use the excitement as cover."

'Maybe, but we could also use them as aides. They've admitted they're close to evolving.'

"...And?"

'I've known a few sapients of the skarpa race over the last few years, and some have even been so kind to enlighten me as to a special spell they can use to blend in amongst the races, including elves' I narrow my eyes as I emphasize the importance of the statement. 'We were planning to blend in once we went to skip village, right? How convenient would it be to clothe our presence with 3 additional elves?'

"They would be C-rank if they evolve..." he said thoughtfully as he pondered it.

They would be 3 C-ranks, who've been training since they were one, so years of training, and considered prodigies in their own right.

It's the kind of benefit backed with its own fair share of danger that you can't say no to.

And that was how 3 goblins joined them on their journey to escort one child.

31