Book 2 chapter 6: First kill and arrays
235 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I took young Leon out to go hunt his first monster.

The boy was talented in the ways of stealth, but it means little if all he uses it for is to hide.

The boy also desires to be an adventurer, something which obviously precludes the ability to hunt monsters.

Some would argue that a boy at such a ripe young age should not be hunting monsters, but I disagree. I believe it important the boy learns the feel of a kill, whether it'd be to reign in darker notions, or for those less comfortable with the thought of killing to get used to it. Besides, at his age, I was executing criminals for the people, so, perhaps my perception of reality is skewed.

Learning his aptitude happens to be to my benefit as well, as it means I'll be able to better determine how to teach him. Do I teach him restraint, or drive?

I do train warriors better than I teach merchants after all.

The two of us travel alone into the woods.

Although the skarpans volunteered to come with us, I politely refused.

Greater numbers may ensure safety, but it also ensures that the level of monster approaches us will be too high for my needs, and the cowardice of these training dummies too low as well.

A child and I will make far more tempting targets.

I've already learned how to conceal my mana, like all good scouting people do. While I can conceal mana according to my tastes, I'll be hiding it all.

Smarter monsters are more cautious of those whose mana they can sense, but the less intelligent will eagerly target such prey.

And by less intelligent.

Rrraargh!

I mean ferals like goblins.

The goblin this time around was bigger than the one I fought, and seemingly smarter, with a smaller and more proportional club this time around.

Speaking to the boy, I gently encourage him.

'You may start whenever you're ready.'

Leon looks a little nervous, as he wields his dagger carefully.

Good.

I dislike the reckless kind the most when it comes to training them especially when they're talented, and thus their brashness supported.

He's hesitant, but the goblin isn't, as it hisses, raising its club and charging at him, forcing the boy to move.

He dodges the first blow, and uses the blade reactively, scratching the creature's side, causing it to screech.

'A good first try' I compliment the boy.

I expect the goblin to turn around and face the boy, only to find that it doesn't seem able to find him, swinging its head around, with the boy plainly in front of him.

Is this the mental power camouflaging him?

Interesting, I can't even sense the change in the air, not like I can sense mana.

This mental power, whatever it may be, just seems invisible to me.

The beast seems lost, and while I compliment Leon for his effort...

'Leon, finish it.' I order, a bit harshly, but we have taken him out to train, to kill.

An uncomfortable truth of reality.

The boy rushes up to the goblin stabbing it in the neck.

Despite how uncomfortable he seems with the order; he still does it.

I guess he's hunted before.

With a firm stab, he plunges the knife into the goblin's exposed neck.

The creature writhes, desperately struggling to survive, attempting to swing its club.

I don't let it, my vines stretching out and binding the creature's limbs, so the boy doesn't get hurt.

In seconds it is dead, and I am beside Leon, comforting the kid.

The boy quivers a little, uncomfortable with the sight.

'You did good Leon.' I reassured him placing a vine on his back.

Contrary to his earlier, more cheerful demeanor it is darker,, and uncomfortable all around.

"They won't be mad at me, will they?" He asked in a quivering voice.

'Who?" I ask, already having a guess.

"The other goblins." he responded, specifying. "The friendly ones."

It's good to see he's worried about that, and not too bothered about killing something.

I do think it important to make the distinction, though he seems to have some form of distinction already.

'They call themselves skarpans.'

"Skar-pans?"

'Yes, skarpans. They are not the same thing, like how dogs and wolves aren't the same thing.'

Despite this emphasis, the child feels no better seemingly, appearing anxious.

It's good to see he's still feeling anxious though, as it gives me reassurance that his worry about killing is not so light, but at least moderately so. Though, that also means I'll have to also lighten his worries a little.

Still, I'd rather have a warrior who thinks less of killing, than one who has no qualms, especially a child. on the contrary, I'd actually be worried

Honestly though, he has nothing to worry about.


Servante seemingly couldn't believe his ears, hearing how plainly I said it.

'Leon killed his first goblin!" I said, clearly showing off the goblin ears that Leon carved off the corpse.

The dagger he had used earlier was also a carving knife, one given to the kids in the orphanage, accompanied by lessons in how to carve something, to give them opportunities for later in life as carvers, as a job to fall back on.

Leon seemed a little more anxious about presenting his prize, hiding slightly behind my shell.

Redgar walked up to inspect the ears of the slain goblin.

To his surprise though, he was complimented instead of yelled at.

"Good job Leon!" said Redgar, patting Leon on the back reassuringly.

"Good riddance, I say!" said Damil with a grin.

Borsch gave a thumbs up, stuck in a book of magic spells.

Leon looked confused, but clearly felt better about himself, as the skarpans congratulated him.

Servante looked more confused than anything else, as did Lenore.

'Can you explain to the elves why you approve of the kill?' I ask Redgar, who is eager to explain once I asked him to.

"Much like many elves view skarpans as primitive beasts that should have no relation to them, we skarpans have a similar relation to ferals. They're cursed beasts." he spat the last part, emphasizing the last part. "They are merely blights upon our race and tarnish our reputation. The only good feral is a dead one." he said, true disgust present in his words, before he turned to the young Leon again, his voice softened. "Okay? You don't have to worry about killing those. They are only beasts. Not like me." he said, emphasizing the last part softly, specifically for the young child.

Leon seemed finally relieved, understanding that the new companions he had did not hate him for his action.

Taking the goblin ears, he ran off to show them off to Willow.

Willow smiled softly, offering her own version of a congratulations, though I could tell from her face that she had less than an interest.

Not grossed out, but it was clear she was just going along with it, before the boy lost interest in the ears and quickly dragged her off to play another game.

Well, that was over with.

Servante was amazed by this standpoint, though both he and Lenore seemed to easily pick up the idea. Understandable, since they probably think the same of ferals as skarpans did, merely seeing them as beasts. Skarpans just happen to have a closer tie to their cousins, and a greater revulsion.

Anyway, after seeing how he did on his first hunt, we'll work on a few things later, like teaching him some basics about fighting as an assassin given that I've affirmed he does seem apt enough with a dagger and his ability to just disappear is apt for this role.

Can't rely on his disappearing trick since I have no clue what the requirements are.

I also have another thing to deal with, arguably far more important when it came to us approaching the upcoming tow.

The skarpans needed to evolve, and quickly, if they are to blend in amongst elves once we're there.


The next day I set to making the array once I finished teaching the kids again. And the skarpans who are kind of kids, but not really. Skarpan culture. It's difficult.

The array was something I picked up from the old hermit who used to crash at my house. In particular, he lived at my mansion within the territory, hence why he wasn't there to save me when I died at the mansion in the capital.

He's probably still hanging around my house, more likely than not, lazing in his room "cultivating"

I hope my replacement doesn't try to kick the old man out of the house. If I hear about the untimely death of the recently chosen marquis of gamecas territory, then I'll know someone pissed the old man off, especially if the news mentions a string of deaths regarding a new marquis.

The array wasn't something simple really, but apparently something of a masterpiece according to the old windbag.

Supposedly. Realistically, he could be lying for all I knew, but regardless, it fit my needs currently extremely well.

And he wasn't one to give cheap gifts, just cheap when it came to giving gifts.

According to him, and many from the qing empire, there exists an energy of life called qi.

When I ask them to explain, they start dodging around the subject, claiming that trying to teach me would ruin my understanding of mana, fundamentally affecting my ability to use mana.

I don't push him too hard, since I have no reason to learn qi anyway. And I knew he wasn't bluffing about the existence of qi after watching him fight better than an 10,000-year-old man should be able to.

According to him, although it thins out in our lands, qi is very much present, just a lot less, given that all living things contain qi.

Creatures that rely on qi are called spiritual beasts by the way. According to romanan legislation, though qi users still call them monsters or cultivators, depending on their relation to the entity.

Anyway, this array seems to be the inverse of another array designed to convert mana into qi, something he used to cultivate while at my house.

He gave this to me after I nagged him to repay me for staying at my house. It was the least he could do after taking up my guest room for a good five years.

As an inverse, this array gathers the thin qi in the air and converts it into mana.

I say thin, but it is relatively thin here, not completely absent. Where there is life, there will always be qi apparently.

Using this array, we can boost the skarpans absorption of mana, therefore speeding up the progress of their evolution. Given they are close, it should only take a few days before they evolve, and then we can speed along to Skip village.

Oh, and cover the array up, since according to the old man this array is super rare and valuable and I should totally hide it from all prying eyes, including Servante.

Apparently, he learned it from his master, a large tortoise, and if the tortoise finds out he leaked his secrets, then he'll strangle him. Supposedly.

Just need a few leaves and a tarp to cover it up, and-

Clap clap.

- done and done.

Anyway, done with the array. Let's go get the skarpans and we can start this up.

22