Chapter 22 Ambush
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chen Ang mounted his tall horse and exchanged a smile with the girl holding his reins. Qu Feiyan glanced up at him with a somber expression, a hint of resentment evident between her brows. As she held Chen Ang's horse, she hesitated, her lips slightly parted as if wanting to say something but feeling somewhat embarrassed.

"Hey," Chen Ang glanced at her helplessly.

"Are you not planning to take me along?" Qu Feiyan muttered, turning her head to conceal the tears welling up in her eyes.

Her voice trembled slightly, tinged with stubbornness. Chen Ang realized that if he didn't explain, she'd likely follow after and he'd have to wear a smile and persuade her.

"Don't you want to return? Life's banquets are transient; they don't last a lifetime. Come, have a glimpse!" Chen Ang extended his hand towards her.

Qu Feiyan grabbed it and turned her head to release the reins. Clenching her fists tightly, she suppressed her emotions and calmly stated, "Then go! Just remember to return!"

Chen Ang's smile faltered a bit. "I'll give you a medical manuscript. Keep it safe. When you're in a big town, find a bookstore to help publish it. Then, those nefarious groups won't trouble you. You needn't worry; someone will take care of them!"

Seeing the girl's continued unhappiness, Chen Ang continued, "Also, gather the redemption books from various sects. I've left money for you to build a large library. Don't restrict access; let people borrow freely. Once the library's built, I'll surely return to read!"

Qu Feiyan loosened her grip on the reins, turned her head, and with her earlier ancient spirit, stuck out her tongue at Chen Ang, making a face. "Got it, you trickster. Just go. I was just joking with you!"

Chen Ang smiled, shaking his head. He guided the horse and rode away, fading into the evening's afterglow.

As she watched his retreating figure, the sound of hooves growing fainter, Qu Feiyan wore a smile on her face. Suddenly, tears streamed down her cheeks. Blue Phoenix, by her side, silently leaned over and held her close as she gradually succumbed to suppressed sobs.

As the sun moved westward, casting a final hue across the sky, an old pavilion situated on the official road outside Jiangling City provided rest for travelers. Several dozen people sat there, illuminated by torchlight. One elderly man, his face peculiar, slammed the ground indignantly, "Those mutts from the Lushan Faction, can't they do a simple task? Can anyone confirm if Chen Ang truly left town at dusk?"

A robust figure nearby, an older man with an iron-like demeanor, spoke gravely, "Elder Bao, don't fret. I believe he's already on the road. With our arrangements, wherever he goes, he won't escape our grasp!"

Another middle-aged woman, her expression grave, added, "His skills are formidable. His swordplay, both righteous and malevolent, poses a challenge even for our experts. The Sad Breeze is not to be trifled with; caution is warranted!"

Elder Bao waved dismissively, "No need for undue worry, Three Mothers. The master has sent the Pingshen doctor to aid us. This should suffice. With our numbers here, are we afraid of a mere junior?"

Another person chimed in, sneering, "These Five Top Sword Factions are only hyping their reputation! Wait till he falls into our hands. We'll seize the Sorrows of Silent Wind and the Three Corpse Brain Pills—a great achievement!"

Nasang Sanniang gazed at him intensely, cautioning, "Elder Bao, be cautious!"

Realizing his blunder, Elder Bao fell silent, refraining from mentioning the Three Corpse. Ever since being defeated by the East's unbeatable martial arts and retreating to Black Wood Cliff, his group had grown restless. If not for the Eastern master's skills and Tong Baixiong's loyalty, Elder Bao would have instigated chaos long ago.

The sound of hooves drew closer, prompting everyone in the pavilion to stand alert. Elder Bao's eyes flickered as he cautioned, "Our people haven't sent word. Everyone, stay vigilant!"

On the horizon along the official road, a rider on horseback approached. A young man with a relaxed demeanor carried a longsword slung across his saddle. His eyes held a hint of a smile yet remained inscrutable.

As the last light of twilight faded, leaving the sky dim, the flickering torches cast a wavering glow over the ground. Chen Ang reined in his horse, the smile on his face lingering as he glanced at the people in the pavilion. The official road of Jiangling City, bustling with returning citizens, presented an easy and warm scene during the dusk. However, amidst this gathering, only a group of Jiang Hu stood on this road, lending an air of tension.

Chen Ang was not one to readily resort to violence, yet witnessing Demon Sect callously discard the body of the late traveler by the roadside compelled his longsword to be stained with blood.

Despite the current smile on his face, only an icy resolve gleamed in his eyes.

"Chen Ang, what have you done to our God's Discipline?" Elder Bao sighed, suddenly lunging forward like a black panther. His agile movements lacked any hesitation. Despite his heavy build, his swift approach disoriented onlookers.

Looking down at him from his elevated stance, Chen Ang's smile grew more enigmatic. He questioned slowly, "Are you ambushing me here to convey some secret? Standing so boldly in the middle of the thoroughfare and ambushing passersby for secrets—this confounds me."

Elder Bao grappled him and chuckled. "Those passersby? Yes, to ensure no leakage of information, they were dealt with by our God's Discipline."

"But they were just innocent bystanders! If secrecy was your aim, why reveal yourselves by killing? It's perplexing," Chen Ang's gaze remained clear and seemingly unreadable.

Elder Bao sneered coldly, offering no response. Instead, he and a few others surrounded Chen Ang. Observing their spotless attire and impeccably arranged adornments, Chen Ang couldn't help but sigh.

"To me, life is a wondrous thing, akin to the fragrance of earth in a morning breeze. Even the voice of an ordinary person is akin to a flower along the roadside, unnoticed but beautiful," Chen Ang said, disregarding their actions and shifting his gaze into the distance.

"I'm afflicted with a strange ailment, making it hard to cry or laugh. Even amidst joy or sorrow, my heart remains calm. I feel that one day, I'll experience all the emotions this world has to offer—bitterness, carelessness, or the indifference of grass and stones—neither happy nor deceased, but immortal!"

Chen Ang remained composed, turning to face them.

"Have you ever heard the sound of snowflakes landing on a rooftop? Can you feel the vibrant life in flower buds unfurling in the spring breeze? Do you know, in the autumn wind, leaves carry tales from distant mountains?"

"This is a friend's reminder—to cherish life, even if my heart grows cold, to retain sincere kindness! Not to resort to..." Chen Ang sneered, "senseless slaughter of innocents!"

As his words trailed, the sword gleamed.

Bao Dachu witnessed the most captivating swordplay of his life—a blend of courage, ferocity, and a hint of the East's invincible swordsmanship—ghostly and alluring. But nothing compared to Chen Ang's sword.

It wasn't just a form of swordsmanship, but a display of unwavering determination and profound sentiment, embodying the humblest yet greatest aspects of humanity.

Chen Ang's pupils, now a shade of blue, were unlike the usual millennium-blue—devoid of rationality and tranquility. This was an oceanic blue, serene yet teeming with life, encapsulating faint yet undeniable emotions within his gaze.

For the first time, when Chen Ang unleashed his full prowess, he appeared more demon than a deity from the heavens.

Each motion, each strike, drew blood that dripped onto the ground. Bao Dachu and his companions struggled to voice their terror. Bao Dachu's hoarse whispers and a trickle of blood between his fingers on the left hand, the right hand gripping the sky futilely.

Approaching them, Chen Ang informed that Demon Sect had withdrawn. Nervously, they watched him advance step by step. Eventually, their weakened grasp let the sword slip from his hand.

All four of Bao Dachu's group collapsed to the ground, their bodies limp.

0