Chapter 2. Elemental Beginnings
60 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Apollo and Jasmine settled down with the Divine Compendium, ready to learn spells that would help them defend themselves in this unfamiliar world.

As they spent time together training and exploring, Apollo and Jasmine's unique scents intermingled. Apollo's aroma was like a wild forest, earthy and fresh with a touch of musk from his hiking and climbing days on Earth. Jasmine's scent, however, was more delicate, blending floral notes with the faint smell of ocean breeze, mirroring her affinity for the elements she sought to master.

Their closeness didn't bother them, a sign of maturity resulting from being in their final year of high school – a year they would sadly never finish.

"The Divine Compendium prefers to be called DVN, or Devin," Apollo noted as he activated the voice search function.

"Interesting," Jasmine responded, "It's not entirely unexpected, given the length of his name. It can also help protect his–."

They both looked at each other, realizing they should create new names to safeguard their identities in this strange world.

"I'll go by Helios," Apollo decided, "It seems fitting, all things considered."

Jasmine smiled, "I'll call myself Nyx, after the Greek goddess of the night. It's appropriate since I can manipulate shadows with the Darkness Element."

"But why are they called 'Elements' if some of them aren't elements? Sound isn't an element," he objected.

"Well, to be fair, Elemental can also mean primary or basic. DVN explained that the first six Elements (Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Light, and Darkness) led to the creation of the other 19. They're divided into Primary and Secondary Elements," she clarified.

Apollo nodded, hoping to change the subject. "Now that we have our names, let's focus on learning spells to enhance our powers."

(They will use these names when they aren't alone).

[...]

Here is the full list of Elements:

Fire: Spells related to heat, combustion, and flames.

Water: Spells involving liquid manipulation, water-based healing, and ice creation.

Earth: Spells for manipulating soil, rocks, metals, and creating barriers or constructs.

Air: Spells related to wind, flight, and manipulating air pressure.

Lightning: Spells involving electricity, energy manipulation, and creating electrical currents.

Light: Spells related to illumination, purification, and energy projection.

Darkness: Spells involving shadows, concealment, and draining energy.

Nature: Spells related to plant manipulation, growth, and animal control.

Time: Spells involving time manipulation, acceleration, and deceleration.

Space: Spells related to teleportation, spatial distortion, and dimensional travel.

Gravity: Spells involving gravitational force manipulation and weight alteration.

Sound: Spells related to sound manipulation, echolocation, and sonic attacks.

Mind: Spells involving telepathy, mental manipulation, and illusions.

Spirit: Spells related to spiritual energy, exorcism, and soul manipulation.

Life: Spells involving healing, vitality, and life force manipulation.

Death: Spells related to necromancy, decay, and draining life force.

Blood: Spells involving blood manipulation, hemomancy, and blood-based curses.

Poison: Spells related to venom, toxins, and diseases.

Illusion: Spells involving creating and manipulating false images and perceptions.

Enchantment: Spells related to imbuing objects or beings with magical properties or effects.

Summoning: Spells for conjuring creatures, familiars, or elementals.

Astral: Spells related to astral projection, ethereal travel, and accessing other planes of existence.

Rune Magic: Spells involving the use of magical runes, sigils, and symbols.

Crystal: Spells related to the manipulation of crystals and gemstones, as well as their inherent magical properties.

Chaos: Spells involving the manipulation of unpredictable forces, probabilities, and wild magic.

[...]

[Several minutes later]

Apollo and Jasmine found themselves in a clearing in the forest, about 400 meters from the river. They decided it would serve as their temporary campsite since it had water, food, and the potential for the mysterious hooded figure to return.

"We can't rely solely on our innate powers when facing the unknown dangers of this world. We need to learn spells that can complement our abilities and offer us protection. The question is what spells to choose...," he said.

She agreed. "You're right. Personally, I think a good starting point would be mastering spells related to the four classical elements: earth, water, air, and fire. Harnessing the power of these elements, we can establish a strong foundation for our magical abilities and enhance our innate powers. I also want to look into the Nature and Life elements."

He nodded. "That's a great idea. A little cliche, though."

"Don't you think it's cliche because it works?" Jasmine retorted with a smirk. "Besides, I can't have you dying on me this soon. Not until I learn more magic anyway."

Apollo chuckled. "You've got a point. But we don't know our affinity for each element yet. How about...we try a few basic spells from each element and see which ones we're more comfortable with? Try using fire."

DVN outlined a series of steps that a magic user must follow to successfully cast and execute the desired magical effect. He noted that the process may vary depending on the type of magic, specific spell, and individual magic user. For some reason, the last part was emphasized in bold.

Jasmine saw an opportunity to practice her fire magic in a controlled environment. With Apollo occupied reading the book at a distance, she had no need to hold back. Confidently, she raised her hand, focused her thoughts, and effortlessly created a small yet intense flame that danced gracefully between her fingers. She then aimed it at a nearby Sparktail Lizard, a tiny, colorful lizard with an electrified tail that emits small sparks, often found in caves or rocky areas rich in magical minerals. Her shot missed, scaring the lizard away.

She marveled at her newfound control, thrilled by the potential her powers held.

"Oh. That's why it was emphasized in bold. Well...shit. Did you even use an incantation?" Apollo inquired.

"Not really. I just envisioned casting fire. And then I released it. I suppose it would be the same for–," she said, curiosity in her voice.

The small flame vanished, replaced by a ball of water, then a ball of earth, then a ball of air, before finally returning to a small flame dancing between her fingers. She extended her other hand for a few seconds, but nothing happened.

"What's wrong? Why isn't anything happening with that hand?" Apollo asked.

"I tried to use Light and Dark Magic, but it didn't work. Maybe I need more training?" she wondered aloud.

Apollo closed the book as he stood up from the fallen tree trunk he was sitting on.

"It's time for me to show you how much better I am than you. Don't take it personally, okay?" Apollo said arrogantly.

Jasmine rolled her eyes as he inhaled deeply.

Psychokinesis, or telekinesis, is the ability to manipulate and control objects, matter, or energy using one's mind. Since this skill was new to DVN, he could only offer general advice: Focus, Establish a connection, Manipulate, Sustain control, and Release. He surmised that psychokinesis requires practice and patience to develop and refine. The more a person trains their mind and practices the skill, the stronger and more precise their psychokinetic abilities will become.

Apollo concentrated on a small rock near Jasmine. As he focused, he tried to establish a connection with the rock and manipulate it using his psychokinetic powers. The rock suddenly trembled, and with a burst of energy, it shot directly at Jasmine. Apollo, however, had misjudged the required force, and the rock bounced off a nearby tree, only to strike him in the forehead.

Jasmine couldn't help but burst into laughter, while Apollo rubbed his bruised forehead and muttered, "Well, I guess I still need some practice."

Jasmine, still giggling, patted Apollo on the back. "Don't worry, Helios, practice makes perfect. It's only our first day exploring our powers, after all."

Apollo, feeling slightly embarrassed, nodded in agreement. "You're right, Nyx. We'll get better with time. Let's practice some more."

For the rest of the afternoon, Apollo and Jasmine, now called Helios and Nyx for the rest of the chapter, alternated practicing their respective powers, trying various elemental spells and refining their skills. They stumbled and made mistakes, but each time, they learned something new and improved.

[...]

As the sun dipped below the horizon, the pair agreed it was time to rest for the night. They collected firewood and utilized their newfound powers to ignite a small campfire beside the river. Nyx employed her abilities to construct a modest stone shelter with an open entrance. Sitting around the fire, they contemplated their progress and discussed future plans.

They opted to consult DVN for advice on increasing their strength—a conversation they should have initiated earlier. Thanks to Helios' powers, the book hovered beside them, encased in a faint blue glow.

"DVN, can you offer any guidance on how we can enhance our magical skills?" Nyx inquired of the Divine Compendium.

DVN responded, "To augment your magical prowess, practice and perfect various spells. Additionally, study and comprehend magical principles, such as elements, energies, and the nature of spells. You can also seek tutelage from experienced magic users."

DVN's voice emanated a soothing, deep, and slightly mechanical quality. It was clear and concise, authoritative yet amiable, like a computer-generated voice programmed to mimic human speech.

Helios took another bite of the Horned rabbit meat, skewered on the creature's own curved horns, which it used for defense. "That's a solid plan," he commented. "But where can we find proficient magic users?"

DVN offered several suggestions, such as visiting a magic academy or attending a magical convention. However, Nyx pointed out that they were in the middle of a forest, prompting DVN to jokingly propose placing a flyer on a tree or searching for magic users on social media.

Helios questioned how DVN could even reference such concepts. But as DVN began to explain, a loud snort interrupted the lecture, followed by the sound of a falling tree in the distance. A creature was undoubtedly approaching.

"Ah, the Minotaur. An ideal opportunity for honing your magical skills," DVN declared confidently. "Not clever enough to outwit humans, but sufficiently intelligent to know when to retreat."

Hearing the Minotaur draw nearer, Helios and Nyx exchanged anxious glances. They knew the danger they faced from the legendary half-man, half-bull creature. They sought refuge near the stone hut's entrance, with Nyx preparing her spells and Helios clutching DVN.

"DVN, what should we do?" Nyx asked urgently.

"Though the Minotaur is a formidable foe, your magical abilities may enable you to vanquish it," DVN replied calmly.

"But we're not prepared for this!" Helios protested. "We barely know how to wield our powers!"

"Then we must learn swiftly," Nyx resolved, determination in her eyes. "We can't keep running, and we must protect ourselves."

DVN interjected, "Keep in mind that the key to defeating the Minotaur lies in outsmarting it. Use your intellect and magic to outpace it, and you might have a chance. Given the circumstances (and my need for self-preservation as a sacred artifact), I have chosen to grant you several unique supporting skills from this Divine Compendium. You will both soon acquire: Adaptive Learning, Intuitive Crafting, Spatial Storage, Inventory Management, Item Appraisal, Character Insight, and Magic Metrics. Be aware that if you stray too far from the Compendium or if it is destroyed, you will lose access to these skills. Good luck—you'll likely need it."

As the Minotaur neared, the ground trembled with each of its powerful steps. Nyx and Helios exchanged glances, their eyes filled with fear yet a spark of resolve. They understood they had to confront this challenge, side by side.

Helios experienced a peculiar energy surging through his veins. He sensed his magic intensifying, and his thoughts sharpening. Small objects in the vicinity began to levitate gently, encircled by a soft blue glow. He looked at Nyx, noticing a similar expression on her face.

"Let's do this," she declared, her voice resolute.

DVN will play a key role in Helios and Nyx's ability to hunt the Demon Lords terrorizing Alderan. DVN having the foresight to make it so his protection is mandatory at all times can be seen as a win on his part. They're called Sacred Treasures for a reason!

2