Mistake #1: Just A Dream
183 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Weightless.

That's what Kevin felt like right now. But...no, that wasn't the right word. He didn't feel weightless, he felt like something was missing. Something important. He felt...empty.

Yes, that was it. Empty. But why? Why was he empty? Shouldn't he be filled with something? Shouldn't every human being be filled with something?

Kevin reached up to stroke his chin and realized he couldn't feel it. Then he realized he didn't have a hand to stroke that chin.

Ah, he thought. I'm empty because I don't' have a body...Make sense.

But wait. Why didn't he have a body? He felt as though he should because bodies were important. A human being―no, every being needed a body; a brain to control it, a heart to pump blood, lungs to breathe―or whatever the case was for marine life. He should have that but he didn't. Which felt wrong because he was a human and humans needed bodies.

Wait a moment.

What's a human? And how did he know he was one?

Before he could further ponder his existence, a voice spoke.

[Ah. What is this? Another soul has crossed into my realm. Two in a row! Just my luck.]

Kevin turned―wait, he didn't have a corporeal form; how could he move? Whatever. It didn't matter. The point is, he was now facing the owner of the voice...

...Which was a bear that doubled the size of the Great Sphinx. 

Wait...how did he know what a bear was? Or a-a Great Sphinx? How did he know anything? And how was he male? He didn't even have a-

[Calm thyself,] the voice uttered, sounding mildly annoyed. [Your distress vibes are messing me up.]

Kevin stopped trying to make sense of anything and just stared at the bear, who stared back at him. They had a staring match for several seconds before the bear blinked.

[What was I saying again? Oh, that's right. I'm supposed to do something with you...] The bear leaned back on an invisible chair and stroked its chin―Kevin felt slightly envious. He couldn't do that.

[I passed up on that other soul since the meant-for-greatness vibes were strong. But you...you smell like nothing special. No one would miss you if you disappeared.]

A hungry glint flashed in its black, beady eyes. Kevin started to tremble, feeling something he didn't quite understand. All he knew was that every fiber of his being wanted him to be gone far from the giant bear.

It bared its horrible fangs and took a swipe at him. But then another voice interrupted:

[Stop!]

The bear hesitated before pulling back its paw and snarling. [Mind your business, Morgan. This is my meal!]

[You are ever the gluttonous beast, Ursa. You're looking quite round in the middle; I'm sure you could afford to lay off a soul or two.]

The bear reared up on its hind legs and growled threateningly. The vaguely feminine voice tutted as if it were a mother scolding a child. [Now, now. No need to get hostile. You know you couldn't beat me anyway. Give me the soul and I'll be on my way.]

[What?] Ursa cried in outrage. [I earned this! Fair and square!]

[You mean you found it wandering near your realm and decided to take it?]

[Well, yeah, but everybody does that! You can't steal it!]

[Are you sure about that?]

And with a whoosh, Kevin was gone. Away from the monstrous bear and the disembodied voice.


When Kevin opened his eyes again, he was tucked in his bed, safe and sound. He quickly took a peek under the blankets, confirmed everything was still there and settled down to fall back asleep.

That dream had been disturbing, but that's all it was: a dream.

Nothing would come out of it. He was going to be okay.

5