Mistake #12: Crafting Class
60 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm on time today!

Time ran in slow motion for Vagis as he watched his soon-to-be murderer rear up to end his life. Dread crept up his spine as he froze, too scared to lift his arm to have even the smallest chance of defending himself.

This is it, he thought. I'm gonna die here, on my first Tower run. All I got was this stupid key... No. No, I'm not going to die here. I'm not gonna be another loser to add to this freaks track record.

So what if he was only level 11? He had made it this far because he used it his head, was overly cautious and got by being small and nonthreatening. No one expected him to be anything else.

Today, though, he was going to change. He wasn't going to be the weak runt of the litter anymore. He would be stronger than a [Scout] today. He was going to become a [Ranger].

He snapped out of his daze and lurched forward, barreling into the [Shovel Knight's] legs. The taller man toppled instantly, stunning Vagis for a moment. He'd expected the man to at least put up a bit of a fight. Any decent leveled guy with a [Knight] class would've been able to hold against that shoddy barrel roll. Perhaps he wasn't all that strong? Maybe he was a [Shovel Warrior], not yet strong enough to rank up his class?

Nevertheless, he was still a threat. Vagis had to be cautious. He rolled up into a crouch and twirled Jagged into a proper form, a move he'd practiced many times alone at night. His enemies might be able to cleave him in two, but at least they'd do it while thinking he was cool.

The [Shovel Warrior] was slow to get to his feet and stumbled sideways to lean against the wall, shaking his head. When he finally got his wits about him, he turned to Vagis, narrowed eyes glaring daggers at the young [Scout]. "Dude," he blurted, "what the heck was that for, huh? I try to help you out and just roll me like that?"

Vagis frowned. He didn't recognize this tactic. Was he trying to guilt-trip him? Get him to lower his guard to get a chance to bash his brains out? Scowling, Vagis took a measured step backward, preparing to launch himself forward. He wouldn't waste any more words with someone this despicable.

The [Shovel Warrior] shook his head in disbelief. "I can't believe the first guy I met in this place was such an a-" He didn't get to finish as Vagis activated [Desperate Rush], a Skill he'd learned while fighting off a rogue Kitten-Moth. It gave a slight boost to his speed and strength; useful for dodging around bigger enemies and getting in quick hits.

The shovel's shaft was long; he would have to get in and get out quickly. Vagis slashed at the man's chest than darted to the side and backpedaled quickly, wary of retaliation. Yet it never came. The [Shovel Warrior] just gasped and stumbled back, eyes wide as dinner plates. The man dropped his shovel to clutch at his chest, his hands pressed tightly against his chest to stem the blood spurting out.

Vagis paused at the sight. He wasn't squeamish; he'd seen plenty of bloody injuries and had even gone through some himself. The problem was he'd never seen someone with a melee class so shocked that they'd been caught, let alone a [Warrior]. Those guys lived for blood!

Should I go in and finish the job?

That thought made him a little queasy. He'd never thought about the consequences of fighting to the death. It never occurred to him that he would be the killer in these kinds of situations.

Come on, Vagis, you can do it. This isn't the time to be a coward; you've got to finish the job. I'm sure being a [Ranger] would mean I'd have to kill somebody. Yeah...Yeah, if I want to advance, I have to do this. I have to-

[You have killed one Level 1 [Jack-of-all-Crafts] Tower Manager! You have gained 100 exp!]

[You have gained one skill from the Tower Manager: [Fast Learner]. You now pick up Skills related to your chosen class 1.5x faster than normal!]

The system voice snapped him out of his thoughts. The supposed Tower Manager was lying dead on the floor, having bled out just seconds before.

"All of that...All of that and he was just a stupid crafter?" Vagis spat.

He marched over to the shovel that had been dropped not too far from the body and picked it up. "I'm taking this," he told the corpse, giving it a hard kick. "The only loot this stupid Tower would give me. What a waste."

Vagis walked out of the Seventh Tower, swearing to himself that if he ever entered a Tower like this one again, he'd set the entire place on fire.

 


Meanwhile, a young man named Jeffrey was screaming inside his small, glowing orb as he watched the entire ordeal.

1