Chapter 42: Why do you ignore me?
651 5 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grettel looked with ravenous eyes at Joss. Then she shifted her attention to William and said with a voice smeared with sarcasm, “Since you like water so much, I’ll let you have some more of it… You too Joss. Come along with me and Mirabelle. I have something to show you...”.

Joss was invited into Grettel’s house that seemed abnormally quiet. He didn’t know what was about to happen, but his instincts were screaming at him that something wasn’t right…

Grettel made both children wait for her in the living room. Then she went in to explain her plan to her sons. She needed their help to control the situation. The boys seemed a bit hesitant at first, until she promised them a gift in return for their service.

Grettel and her sons appeared before the waiting kids. Her oldest: Talbot. Went behind Joss and nothing more. The twins, Guillemet and Batcock went to fetch a basin filled with water. William was as confused as Joss. He had no idea what they were preparing.

Then Grettel slowly guided William in front of the basin that was placed on the floor. “Now kneel…”, she demanded. William knelt. What was reflected in the water’s surface, was a young face filled with dread. Soon William and that reflection of his would become one.

The escaping air that bubbled up from all sides in the basin, accompanied by awful gurgles, made it impossible for Joss not to act. Unfortunately, this was accounted for. Talbot had placed himself behind Joss, so it would be easier to restrain him. The older boy could with a bit of strength, hold back the smaller one.

When William was finally lifted up from the suffocating space, he was only allowed a few breaths, before his head was submerged yet again. It was truly horrible. He really tried with all his might to resist the wrinkly hand from controlling him, but he was simply too weak. His arms were tense as his hands sprawled along the basin’s edge. Trying desperately to get better hold of his balance. However, It wasn’t enough, no matter how much he struggled!

When raw strength failed, he tried other methods. Such as pinching or hitting the one who bullied him. William could grasp at her sleeves, but those attempts were foiled by the twins. They helped their mother send the message. Grettel was sweating from the workout. She wheezed as her gaze locked with Joss’. Then she lectured, “I might not be able to lay a hand on you… But with Mirabelle, it’s another case…”.

It felt like eternity. William had given up on struggling and tried to reserve his breath. The torture lasted for about half an hour. Then his consciousness slowly began to slip. Although it was frightening at first, the dark was soon welcomed as a blessing.

The escaping bubbles dwindled in numbers. It was an indicator that the victim was done for the day. Grettel lifted William up from the basin and threw him to the side. She quickly checked if he was still breathing. The room was silent, until Grettel sighed with relief. For her victim was showing signs of life.

Then she dusted herself off, as Guillemet helped her stand up. Her voice cracked a bit before she explained, “This will be the result… Each time you lure Mirabelle out, this is what she’ll get when she comes home… If you’re selfless enough, you’ll ignore her and let things be as they were meant to be… She is not your sister anymore! This you must get through your thick skull… Do you understand?”.

Joss didn’t agree verbally, but neither did he disagree… He was blank as to what he should answer... In his blankness he was made to leave…

Not seen since, coming back...

William did try to get in contact with Joss afterwards. Because he hadn’t heard the words that came out of Grettel’s mouth, nor seen the struggle his brother was put through... That old witch, had not only crushed William’s belief in his own strength that day, but also his brother’s.

Since then, when William met his brother he would ask again and again, “Why do yuu ignore me!?”, “Talk toh me!”. But Joss was too scared that Grettel and her sons were lurking somewhere, keeping an eye on them. He couldn’t handle the thought that he should be the reason why, Mirabelle should suffer such torture… A thought kept haunting him: What if she didn’t survive the next time?.. He would rather see her alive in the distance, than dead up-close…

 

 

****

 

 

After two months, during January, Joss went out with his father to find his long awaited dinosaur. He didn’t come to say farewell to William or wish for good luck…

William and Grettel stood in backyard, trying to fix a drying rack. As William saw the father-son-pair leave, he felt an immense pain in his chest. Grettel, on the other hand, smiled with satisfaction as she commented, “It seems my trick worked?”.

William looked at her, trying to find truth in her words. But none was found, he was only told, “Now, that’s enough goggling. Get back to work!”.

The desire to strangle that old bitch, grew ever so strong...

22