Chapter 126: At Halbal’s gates
289 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thalgar had to soften the tension he had built, thus after much thought, he said with his most compassionate voice, “Eat it?... No, I am more than full. If anything your fanged companion is welcome to feast upon my kill. Doing so, all wrongs should be settled”.

William blinked, surprised by Thalgar’s quick decision to forgive. His strained heart eased up and after a short pause, he agreed, “Sure… As long as you don’t hurt us. I guess we can call it a careless mistake… On both parts”. Having smoothly resolved the conflict Thalgar smiled, however this time, he was more reluctant to show off all of his teeth as he had learned that they could be misread as threatening.

Little Lucifer could feel the mood soften, but it was still not willing to let down its guard. William saw this so he quickly went over to calm it down. With a reluctant hand, he tainted himself with the warm drool of another creature just to pet Lucifer on the forehead and back.

Lucifer growled a bit but with each stroke, its growl turned into a subconscious purr that lasted until the moment William removed his hand. “Haaah… This is not going to be easy…”, he stated. Not knowing what exactly he should do now that Thalgar was willing to help him, and even being insistent when it came to traveling along with him...

 

 

****

 

 

After a short rest, the group of newfound allies traveled to their first stop: Halbal. On their way there, William decided to ask his future guide, “I was wondering just for the heck of it… Does your ability have a downside too?”. Thalgar sternly looked at William as if his question was too on the nose.

Alas, he let the girl know that he had no such thing as a weakness, “No… It does not…”. Such a lie went mostly undetected by his travel companion. But in contrast to his lie, Thalgar was very much affected by his ability. Just not in a way one would think…

They walked some more in silence when William again wanted to ask the rather unfriendly Thalgar: “That dinosaur… Kaibalac. Have you ever met a being similar to it before?... Or more specifically… A dinosaur that can bond with multiple beings at once?…”. Thalgar kept his tempo the same as he replied, “Maybe?... Why do you ask?”. William’s eyes swam around before they settled on Lucifer’s cute face, “Because its existence worries me…”.

Thalgar scratched his scalp a few times before he hummed, “There is no need to be frightened by its ilk. They are few and far between… Besides... They cannot transfer their defect through children… No… The ones that should be feared are humans”. A tired huff escaped William’s lips.

He was not keen on getting lectured yet again about how awful human beings were. But this assumption was shattered the moment Thalgar proudly chuckled, “Haha, if anything they should run when they see me coming and shutter at my presence!... You too! Should not fear and hide but attack and hurt those who see you as prey! Such is life! What can be taken will be taken!”.

William was overwhelmed when Thalgar mentioned him as a force worth fearing. One would almost think he didn’t know the basics of bonding norms. A warm feeling enveloped William and suddenly he didn’t view Thalgar as just a monster in human skin. But perhaps as a person who was worth opening up for a closer inspection…

On the outskirts of the castle’s borders, they began to stumble upon more people. A lot of whom were just regular villagers, going about their day. But nonetheless, they still had a strange effect on Thalgar. It was as if each passing person took a chunk of him with them. 

William stepped on the first stone that would lead them up to the castle, and it was then that he looked back and saw not a man-beast but a lost child. “What’s wrong?”, he asked, very bewildered by Thalgar’s sudden deflation. Said man halted, oblivious to his own body-language, and said, “What?”.

Uncertain whether he should push it or let it go, William explained, “Well… You have this look that you’re very uncomfortable?”. Thalgar cheekily smiled as he heaved up his mangled ‘clothes’. Showing off his many wounds including his structured stomach, “My wounds are annoying me… That is all”.

With a folded face, William awkwardly accepted his explanation with a, “Sure!... But you know what? I would appreciate it if you waited outside of the village until I’m done with my business… It won’t take long, I promise! So… What do you say?”.

Thalgar snorted superciliously at William’s request. It was as if the brat was implying that he was scared of the villagers when in truth, it was the opposite! Why, the only reason he felt bothered by these people were because they were always so petty and frightened!

It was clear for all to see that Thalgar was just too powerful! Too dominant to be welcomed amongst such a flock of hapless sheep! So why should he bother to mingle with them? Especially when they made him feel so strange?...

Ripping up the old wounds made Thalgar realize that he wanted nothing more but to stay behind and wait, so he agreed with a slack, “I will stay…”.

William gave the man a modest thumbs-up and cheerfully continued on, “Deal! Then expect me to come back within 3 days’ time, no less… And-”. With a casual heave, Lucifer was lifted from the ground and placed into Thalgar’s embrace. Not caring for the unfriendly mood it created, William continued to add, “-Can you keep Lucifer with you?... It’s just… I don’t think I can have him around without causing a commotion… And sadly I can’t communicate that well with him yet, so… Keep him with you, out of sight. And please! Try not to kill him while doing so!”.

“Or what?...”, Thalgar replied, not at all eager to serve the girl and her growling beast. “Or, perhaps you should prepare yourself to face an angry mob?”. 

Thalgar blanked out for a second. He knew that if letting Lucifer stay with William was the same as making the villagers swell up in a horde, there was no need to question the girl’s decision any further… A bit irritated, Thalgar accepted his new responsibility.

Although William’s logic won out, it didn’t make him feel a nice sense of accomplishment. For he had used his knowledge of the book to strike where Thalgar bled the most.

He didn’t know whether it was due to his non-existent hygiene or terrible strength, but Thalgar was shunned by most territories…

13